Pittsburgh, PA
Linbrook DGC Share
Uploaded By: Booleyn Hole #4 (Taken 7/2012)
Hole #4 Gold/Blue Tee

1    8/29/2016   8/30/2016
Review By: KoolaidOverdose
Pros: •Tight technical holes with a few opportunities for long bombs
•Wonderful use of the landscape
•Benches at nearly every hole
•Separation from the rest of the park helps to feel at one with nature
Cons: •Tees: 1) Some holes have 3 sets of pads (carpet), some have only 2 (unless I just couldn't find the third), and some tees don't have pads at all (just flags). 2) No hole signs
•"Next tee" signs are hard to spot on some holes. The sign from hole 3 to hole 4 is confusing for a first time player. When you go up the hill the sign points to the right, but when you get to the top of the hill you find the basket for hole 9, the gravel road that goes back to the parking lot, along with two other paths. Eventually I figured out the tee pad was actually to the left behind and around hole 9's basket. In hindsight I understand how the sign pointing to the right is to deter players from walking into the field of play for hole 9. My suggestion would be to add a second sign at the top of the hill pointing to the left.
•Not a good course to take small children. My 3 year old was constantly asking to be carried due to the steep uphill climbs and downhill treks.
Other Thoughts: Course work would really make this course worth visiting regularly. Now that all the pins have been installed, it's time to make tee signs and install permanent tee pads.

not fun

1    8/14/2016   8/22/2016
Review By: TXDiscDude
Pros: Nice and green on the course.
A few nice shots
Easy to navigate alone
Nice practice area
Cons: Nasty carpet tee pads
Garbage fairways
Lots of searching in trees
No flow
Had to walk pretty close to most baskets to find out where I was throwing
Other Thoughts: Go to knob hill instead. This course is lacking basic necessitates...Trash cans, benches.
Huge branch came crashing down close by. Be careful

Nice wooded course, hard to follow.

1    5/13/2016   5/13/2016
Review By: Jags
Pros: Very nice wooded course with some technical shots. I rather enjoyed this course other the the below mentioned cons. Worth playing but play with someone who knows the course.
Cons: Tee pads are pieces of carpet. Holes have NO SIGNAGE to show pin placement. The only signs are wooden blocks with green spray-painted numbers on it which are hard to see being GREEN. Most holes I'd walk halfway to the basket to see where it was located. Course doesn't have the best flow to it. Their are some next tee signs with arrows pointing in general direction while other times it leaves you guessing. Course is very wet and soggy/muddy in places.
Other Thoughts: Much better signage and cement tee pads would make this a much more enjoyable course. I know I have more cons than pro's but if a couple issues were taken care of with some TLC this course would be quite the gem.

A wooded challenge, rough around the edges

1    3/23/2016   3/28/2016
Review By: leath
Pros: - This course is heavily wooded, with a number of tight fairways and elevation changes on every hole. It offers a very secluded atmosphere, which will be even greater when the trees and brush have leaves in the summer.
- Multiple tees on each hole, marked with colored flags.
- There are "next tee" signs near each basket, which makes navigation more manageable.
- Holes #1-6 form a clockwise loop and #7-9 form a smaller counter-clockwise loop. The baskets for #6 and #9 are both reasonably close to the parking lot, so you can stop at the car to rehydrate if needed.
- Variety comes in the form of both hole shape (left, right, or straight) and use of the hilly terrain (up, down, or some combination).
Cons: The course is pretty rough, and the locals I played with said that it isn't maintained all that well. Plan to spend some time searching for discs in the summer, especially if you get off the fairways into the rough - they looked pretty uninviting even in March.
- Tees are natural or carpeted, which is understandable; it would be really difficult to get gravel or concrete to some of those locations. Unfortunately, they weren't all level, which is harder to overlook.
- No tee signs. If I wasn't playing with locals, I would have spent a fair amount of time searching for the baskets, and probably the tee pads. I played in late March before the leaves were out, so I know it gets much worse.
Other Thoughts: I'd rather play a wild, wooded course than an open city park, so I definitely enjoyed my round here. But I probably won't make it a regular stop because of the lack of maintenance and because it's designed for advanced players, which I'm not. If there were visible tee signs and a set of white tees to go with the blue and gold, it would be appealing to a wider group of players.

Family friendly rating - 1.0
PROS: I think there are two different playgrounds at the park, one being near the start of the course. There are also a number of baseball and soccer fields, so plenty of space to run around. The 9-holes are made up of two smaller loops, so access to the parking lot is okay. With all the athletic fields, it seems likely that there is at least one restroom facility on site, but I was in a hurry and didn't think to look.
CONS: It is not stroller accessible, and I would not recommend taking small kids for a round here - you'll spend time in the rough, and no one will have a good time. You'll need someone to stay with the kids at the playground if you want to play a round.

Linbrook - An Underappreciated Course

1    12/13/2015   12/13/2015
Review By: Mark Sachon
Pros: The course was just a hop from the city of Pittsburgh and barren of anyone on a seventy degree day in mid December. The overwhelming ambiance was very naturalistic and organic. Very little noise from any vehicular traffic or off road activities. The rolling hills and valleys proved to be tricky and should not be taken fro granted for the player looking to breeze through a quick nine.
Cons: Some of the tees have aged and the markers distinguishing between blue and orange are hard to find on certain pins. If it's your first time there you'll have to do some scouting to find the pin.
Other Thoughts: It's an awesome course, tricky and challenging to tempt the pro but fun enough for the rank amateur. Don't miss it if you're in the area.

Play Linbrook

5+    11/15/2015   11/15/2015
Review By: DaveSantoro
Pros: Great 9 hole course with changing elevations that winds through the woods. Challenging tee and pin locations makes you throw many different discs. Perfect for short fall days after work. Takes about an hour and 1/2 to play.
Cons: The course being situated IN the woods means there a lot of leaves and they can eat your discs so watch them closely. Also lots of ticks.
Other Thoughts: I love playing linbrook it's a great course that needs to be sued more. Also it serves as a great practice facility, because the 2 adjacent fields are open and large. So take out your new plastic and bomb away on the field then jam out a quick round.

Well-Designed Course for the Big Dogs

5+    9/5/2015   10/19/2013
Review By: Qikly
This review was updated on 9/5/2015
Pros: Although it's only 9 holes in its present incarnation, Linbrook offers a degree of epic challenge I've rarely seen on 18 holers. 3 and 5-7 are all well over 500 ft from the short tees, and are complex, multistage par 4s with lots of obstacles and elevation changes. These holes really challenge your game from drive to putt, and it's rare to make par without a textbook play through. The remaining holes consist of tight, turning lines down wooded fairways (2, 8) or more open shots forcing you to choose and navigate a challenging window (1, 4, 9). The last of these are your best chance for birdies, but they're far from gimmies: drastic elevation changes and thick rough mean that one unfortunate bounce or roll away can add 2 or 3 strokes in an instant. Overall, Linbrook is characterized by thick woods, tight windows, extreme elevation changes, long holes, and smartly-designed, unique lines that require you to accurately control the entire course of your disc's flight. It's a spectacular challenge whose golf stands with the best courses in the area.

Navigation flow is well done, considering its penchant for winding paths; the course is helpfully marked where needed.

The proximity to Knob Hill and other quality courses makes this an easy course to hit as part of a larger disc golf trip to the area.

Some holes to single out:

3 is one of the hardest holes I've ever played. The combination of distance (584 or 680), hazards (plentiful mid-fairway trees, a winding creek that borders the fairway's right before cutting in front of the basket), tightness, and elevation (the hillside to the left if you end up there, and the fairway's gradual upward rise) combine to make this a very challenging 4.

6 is another tough 4: a slight hyzer up a steep hill whose fairway straightens out to play along the hillside. Plenty of rollaway potential here, with a tight cluster of trees guarding the pin and some serious rough beyond the basket combining to really challenge your approach game.

7 is a beautiful downhill hyzer that plays into a gorgeous clearing. Birdieable if you hit your drive right. Playing too far to the left means some challenging upshots through the many trees that shield the basket.
Cons: Without a doubt Linbrook's biggest con is its rough present state. The tee pads are natural, and are vulnerable to getting mucked up. The rough is largely ungroomed, making shots from off the fairway almost impossible on several holes. When the fairway gets overgrown, even your most well-placed shots can be swallowed. Coupled with a tendency towards blind shots, having a spotter can make or break the enjoyableness of your round.

Tee signs would be welcome, especially given the quirky nature of many lines and the frequent inability to see the pin from the tee. There are white tees on some if not all the holes, but I think I've only been able to pick out one or two of them. Even the blue tees can be hard to find on occasion.

The level of difficulty is extreme here. If you go in knowing what to expect, it's fine, and the fact that there are only nine holes helps temper the sense of getting beaten on. Beyond all that, I appreciate Linbrook's challenges - they're part of the fun - but if things aren't clicking it can be a downer of a round. I've come out of here feeling the sting of an especially tough round more often than not.

There are some limits to the hole variety to be had here given the constantly wooded environment. I think the course design is pretty brilliant, but playing in the thick woods does rule out certain portions of your bag. Coupled with the fact that there are only nine holes, Linbrook presently makes for a very particular kind of disc golf, which can be good or bad depending on how you take to its challenges.
Other Thoughts: The course was in pretty rough condition the first time I played it (July 2013). I was disappointed, and it marred my overall experience of it, but I decided to delay my opinion until visiting again after hearing from locals that the course usually looked better. I'm glad I did, because this is truly one heck of a course: the long, winding holes are really unique, and the entire thing challenges your game in a way I hadn't experienced before. I think this one is really worth a visit, and presently overlooked more than it should be.

There are plans to expand the course to 18 holes, once the park approves. I sure hope they do, because I feel that a well-groomed, well-signed, 18-hole Linbrook would become as highly regarded as Moraine and Deer Lakes. As it stands, it's still a unique offering to the area's embarrassment of riches.

It's worth noting that, all things being equal, I'm inclined to rate an 9-holer lower than an 18-hole equivalent. I had been inclined to give Linbrook a 3.5 because of this. Linbrook's spectacular challenges and unique holes deserve special consideration, however; three months since my last visit, I'm still thinking about them. As such, as of Jan 2014, I'm bumping my rating up to a 4.0.

Bravo to the course designers for this one. I look forward to seeing this course blossom.

Great course, I hope it improves

1    9/9/2013   9/12/2013
Review By: nytrate
This review was updated on 10/23/2013
Pros: The course was well laid out, had some very technical holes, and was long enough to justify driving to and playing a 9 hole course. Some extreme turns, lots of elevation, and plenty of trees to avoid. A lot of narrow shots.

This is a great place to practice and get better at the sport.
Cons: Finding the first tee was difficult for me. Once you get in the woods, the gnats or whatever other bugs become somewhat unbearable. The tees are very rough, the brush is very thick (lost a disc on hole 2 by overshooting the basket, looked for an hour), and when I played the grass was long. Many of the fairways are filled with meadow grasses and weeds and make it very easy to lose sight of a disc. It is also troubling if you don't have high socks or pants on. I saw several snakes, spiders, and other crawlers in the grass in the fairways.
Other Thoughts: [EDIT: I have been playing the course regularly since my review. I really enjoy this course. To clarify my last review, I have no intent on coming and making modifications. I was unaware of the situation and just wanted to volunteer myself to help in case it was needed.]

Already one of the best courses in the area, despite being unfinished

2-4    5/31/2013   6/11/2013
Review By: BigAl724
This review was updated on 6/14/2013
Pros: -Discatcher baskets, my favorite
-Challenging shots with specific lines
-Great experience in the dense and beautiful woods
-Bathroom between holes 3 and 4
-Many different shots: Straight bombs, downhill then uphill, extreme anhyzers, long downhill shots, extreme hyzers, slight anhyzers
-Good variety of distance drivers, fairway drivers, and mid-range off the tee
-Next tee signage and easy to find next hole. There is no where to go except through the paths that are there. Going to hole 4 was a little confusing for me at first, just go around the bathroom and follow the path to the left.
-The park doesn't get crowded
-In an area with very close proximity to other courses. Just a few miles away from both Knob Hill and Old Economy Park.
Cons: -Natural pads are a little uneven at times
-Gets pretty muddy in the fairway when it rains (but it is in the woods so can't really help that)
-Some holes (3,5, and 7)seem impossible to par at my skill level, but I only played from the gold tees so I can't really complain about that
-Bugs
-Dense rough, and makes blind shots challenging to find discs on the last few holes
-No tee signs, but after playing it a few times that doesn't bother me
-I wish there were one or two open shots to just bomb the disc
-Not good at all for beginners IMO
Other Thoughts: It may seem unfair to rate this a 4.5 without tee pads or tee signs, but the technicality of the holes is tremendous! Each hole is very unique and you will use you entire bag on this course. That is what we're all really after anyways, isn't is? Champion level course in my mind because there is no real luck involved here as there can be in most other courses. Accuracy is a must and the layout is beautiful.

Holes 1, 4, and 9 provide downhill then uphill shots. Hole 2 is a shorter slight anhyzer with a tight fairway. Hole 3 is an extremely long straight shot with a tight fairway. Hole 5 is an extreme anhyzer then uphill. Hole 6 has an extreme hyzer then long straight fairway. Hole 7 is an extreme hyzer and downhill. Hole 8 is a pretty straight shot through a lot of trees.

Holes 1, 3, 7, 8, and 9 are my favorite holes. It is very hard to pick a favorite hole for this course because each one is so unique. Which is why I gave it the rating I did. Can't wait until this course grows to 18 holes and thus, it's fullest potential.

Work in Progress

1    4/22/2013   5/2/2013
Review By: Yeti08
Pros: Many different kinds of holes that really test your skills. Easy to go from hole to hole once you find #1. Eager to see what the course will become.
Cons: Some real sloppy holes and of course missing tees, hope these will be worked on soon.
Other Thoughts: Promises to be a great course!