Plumtree, NC
Blind Squirrel - Valley DGC Share

Not usually something you find beside a brewery

2-4    10/2/2016   10/3/2016
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -Note: I consider this a nine hole course because the first nine are just putt-putt style holes. The back nine is a true nine holer in my opinion.

-This is technically the first course at Plumtree Brewery because it is right beside the Brewery. It's on the Christmas tree farm so it's much more different than the killer 18 hole course that is Plumtree Mountain. The average hole length is right under 270' on those nine holes so it's a little longer than Plumtree Mountain, but it effectively plays a bit shorter and that's because of only one hole.

-The baskets are marked with gray flags on the front nine and with gold flags on the back nine. I actually never found the tee pads for the first nine, but I didn't care since it's so short. I found the pads for the back nine, which is the real deal so that was good enough for me. Thing is, this course plays as two nine holers. For the final nine in the Plumtree tournament, we played the baskets marked with gold flags which is again, the back nine I guess.

-Has that true uniqueness that maybe 90% of nine holers seem to lack. The first hole is like 250' long but it forces a huge hyzer over the river and around a mando tree. This is one of those holes where I throw a justice or even a felon. Hole 2 is a long par 3 that plays around a long cluster of trees and onto a hanging basket pitched in a very slightly wooded area around some pine trees. The final hole is by far the most memorable.

Hole 9 is an amazing downhill bomb off of a mountain! It's a deceiving hole, it loses a lot of its footage but by the time you get to the bottom of the hill, it seems like a really long hole. It was my only bogey on the final nine (which I shot a 23 on) because I threw a putter and it faded a good bit to the right. The basket is beside a ditch and has a fair amount of rough around the fairway and green. If you love #14 at Black Jack (which you have to love), you'll love this hole too.

-The Brewery and Gift Shop is a great place to go to afterwards. It has discs, bags, and other good stuff like shirts. I gladly purchased a Plumtree long sleeve.
Cons: -If you play this as an 18 holer, you'll be sorely disappointed with the front nine. It's just not really an 18 hole course to me, even though it could be like it used to. If it was 18 holes, this course would be at least a 3.5, probably a 4.0. There is much more land to be used, once you are finished with #9 or what I guess is #18, it leaves you with a moderately long walk to the parking lot.

-The rough is quite rough in some places. It's mostly just when you have a mediocre shot but you could also land 15' in a christmas tree. In the final 9, which consisted of the top two Open players me and Joe Davis and top two Am players Jeff Flake and Barrett Caton, we all ended up in the christmas trees or the deep rough at least once.

-Finally, I think #8 is a weak hole, it's an uphill toss around 125', just needs to be lengthened I think because it would be even more uphill and longer, making it more legit.

-I don't live here.
Other Thoughts: -Let me just say Plumtree is paradise. It really is to me, it's deep in the mountains, has camping and lodging available for a reasonable price, it only cost me $20 to stay here for a weekend, so has everything a mountain man needs. There are some hotels I can't even stay in because I'm nineteen, and whenever I can stay in one, it's like $60 per night. So this place is a marked improvement. The owners asked if I was 21 or older and when I said no they were actually okay with it, so show plenty of respect here because they are very polite.

-As for this course, I'll safely say it's the best nine holer I have played. It's very well worth your time. The gold nine hole course starts off very pleasing so when I say the final hole is the best, that means it's a 10/10 hole. These are the courses where paying to play is nothing to complain about at all. It's well worth the price.

Everyday is Christmas at Plumtree Valley

1    6/21/2012   6/26/2012
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: You have heard of Elk Mountain, well... Plumtree Valley is a 2nd 18 hole course, close to Elk Mtn., and run by same people. The Valley course provides an easier alternative (or a relaxing break!) to the famed, but strenuous, Elk Mtn. course.

PV is flatter and more open. 13 holes are flat and only 5 are on the hill side (3 up, 2 down). Most of the holes' obstacles are the Christmas Trees, as this property is primarily a tree farm. (And believe me, those things will swallow up a disc and the trees are really close together in many spots.) Overall design was good as the holes had pretty good variety of length and shape.

Hole #1 plays right along the beautiful Toe River (your typical mountain stream). Throughout the course you are greeted with nice views of the mountains. Hole 13 is one of those memorable top-of-the-world shots where you will want to first just take in the scenery of the valley along the river between the mountains, and then you will want to throw several drives off the mountain and watch them sail down to the peninsula green at the bottom.

The lodge provides a good map and scorecard, however, navigation was good with plenty of clear signage, (they even used the generic discs that came with the Insteps baskets as signs- clever and adds a nice touch!) There is a growing proshop in the lodge that had a nice selection of several brands of discs. There is also a restaurant there that smelled great. I really appreciated the many nice and helpful workers, many of them play disc golf so they were able to give good advice. There are other outdoor activities available here too and lodging as well.
Cons: The Christmas tree farm eats discs- the trees are tall and so close together and the ground underneath cannot be mowed- it got to the point I was just throwing a putter 100' off the tee to avoid having to look for a disc as some fairways were only a few feet wide. In addition, the fairway grass was high in spots also making discs hard to find.

Some tees were grass, where others were lumpy mulch chips. The baskets were the In-Steps, they do the job, but they just don't make that satisfying sound other brands give.

Some danger spots if others were playing. Many places holes, baskets and tees, are close together. #13 is an awesome hole, but it is hard to control where a disc lands throwing 600' down a mountain, and there are a couple of tees and several baskets near #13's basket that could come under fire. (chances are, though, you will have this course to yourself.)

This course is on private land and there is a house and a garden and other personal objects here that should be treated with respect- because somebody lives here, the course has special rules that need to be followed, and there may be times where some holes or even the entire course might be deemed temporarily unavailable.
Other Thoughts: This is decent course, a nice complement to the strenuous and mountainous Elk Mtn course. The Plumtree Valley course is on the grounds adjacent to the lodge, and the famed Elk Mountain course is just down the road at the campground area. Check-in/paying is at the lodge to play either or both.

This course is not the reason you come to this area, but since Elk (and Sugaree) are in the middle of nowhere in the Carolina mountains, it is nice to have 1 more course here to make this long journey even more worthwhile.

It was $5 to play, however, if you purchase $10+ of disc golf merchandise, then you get to play for free. (essentially a $5 coupon of a disc!)