Grand Rapids, MN
Legion Park Share

Getting Greasy on the Tee

1    7/15/2012   1/20/2014
Review By: DerekTonn
Pros: - Very scenic and heavily wooded.
- Very technical. Precision and placement is key.
- Good elevation changes.
Cons: - Maintenance/upkeep seemed to be an issue...as at least two holes had major tangles of downed trees and brush that we had to play over/around/through.
Other Thoughts: It's been a while since I played this one (memory is a bit rusty), but after reading the prior two reviews, I had to chime in. What the previous two reviewers seem to dislike about this course (TIGHT, technical) is exactly why I believe it is *the* course to play (along with Hibbing) when I'm in the Range Cities area. Precision and placement off the tee is 80% of the battle...and it's refreshing to find another course that isn't just a wide-open "bomber" off the tee.

Folks are right. A driver isn't really necessary on this one! But why does that need to be a negative? If anything, the ultra-technical nature of this design makes it a positive. A nice change of pace compared to many courses out there.

Ehhh

1    5/14/2012   8/18/2012
Review By: Riley M
Pros: Its a course.The only other course is Gr is at the collage. The collage is open while this course is exstreamly wooded.
Cons: wooded. better in fall when it has less leaves and bushes.
Other Thoughts: I enjoy the collage but this course was a nice idea. like the other review id just as well drive to warba.

Not the right space for a DG course

1    7/8/2012   7/17/2012
Review By: Darkgreen
This review was updated on 7/19/2012
Pros: 18 holes. The first effort to put in a serious course in the Grand Rapids area. Many of the pin placements really make you work to bend shots. A good place to work on your mid-range and putting. Nice score cards, I hope those are kept well stocked at the start.
Cons: Sharing the space with the x-country ski trails just doesn't work. I don't mind tight fairways, but there is almost never any reason to take out a driver. I would suggest cutting down a bunch of trees but I'm guessing the skiers and runners wouldn't like that so much. Not a course to play by yourself in the summer because you will need multiple eyes watching discs or you will lose discs in the thick undergrowth, and get bit up badly by mosquitoes when looking for them.

There didn't seem to be a lot of thought put into the overall layout. The course just ends in the middle of the park. Some of the holes could have been made longer to make the loop end closer to where you start.
Other Thoughts: I could tell some love and hard work went into this course and I would like to encourage those same people that made this course to look somewhere else in the Grand Rapids area for a place to build another course. Look at courses like the one in Hibbing or at Mont du Lac for ideas on how to build a fun and challenging course. I visit Grand Rapids often and I would love to have a nice course to play when I am there. Hopefully this course will be a lesson learned for those who installed it.

I could see this course being a little more fun to play for a month or so in mid to late fall when the leaves have dropped and the undergrowth has died, but that is not a big window of playing time.

I might return, but it is more likely I will just drive 15 minutes to go to the little course in Warba, or even better 40 minutes to Hibbing.