Freeland, MI
Tittabawassee Trails Share
Uploaded By: DirtyMittenDG Hole #8 (Taken 11/2008)
Hole #8

I will avoid any jokes about the woman's anatomy.

1    7/21/2012   7/29/2012
Pros: 1) Excellent design for the property available. They incorporated 4 different styles of hole, prairie, tight woods, clean woods, and an open hole with water.
2) Extremely challenging shots due to the tightness of the fairways and the thick rough. Throwing in the fairways is at a premium. I always prefer a challenge to a simple walk in the park.
3) Woodchips are used in spots which helps to keep the mud down.
4) Water in play . . . it is easily clearable for an Intermediate level player, but anyone in Recreational or lower level skill will want to use the forward tee.
5) There are a couple of really attractive holes. While most of the holes are carved out of thick underbrush in the woods, there are a few holes that are in a really nice mature woods with very little underbrush.
6) Nice concrete tees are always appreciated.
7) Posts with Hole # and Distance.
8) Good variety of shot selection needed here. I love it when a course makes you throw everything you have.
9) Elevation is used very effectively to make some fun shots. You have to go up and down in the woods which alters the shot requirements too.
Cons: 1) Overall I would say that this course is a little too tight. The underbrush is extremely punishing and also extremely difficult to get out of. If they could clean up some buckthorn and underbrush this course might also be a lot more attractive. For instance those last few holes on the course are in a wonderfully clean section of the park . . . and the rest of the holes if they were cleaned up would look like these holes.
2) Compaction and erosion are big issues here. There are a lot of bare areas in the woods because of all the traffic and very little sunlight.
3) Not enough hole distance variation. Almost all of the holes are mid 100's to mid 200's.
4) Not at all beginner friendly in my opinion. Too much underbrush and too tight.
5) Navigation is difficult because of other walking trails weaving in and out of the course. Simple directional signs would make this much better. We often sent people both directions to look for the next tee.
6) There will definitely be some wet low spots on this course at times. There are some low pockets that will hold water.
Other Thoughts: This is a tough course to rate. I had a lot of fun and the disc golf is fun and challenging, but the underbrush and confusing layout makes it more frustrating. Obviously maintenance on this park could be better since it seems to be pretty beat down. I am going to give it a 3.0 but feel like if they improved some of the underbrush and signage would really bring this course up at least .5 a disc or more. It will never be long and super challenging to people who throw 300' easily, but it could be a perfect Recreational to Intermediate course if it was a little cleaner. That would also allow beginners a chance to enjoy this course.

Which way did he go?

1    5/28/2011   5/29/2011
Review By: BogeyNoMore
Pros: Setting: Quiet park is easy to find off the main road, with plenty of paved parking. Course is isolated from other park activities for the most part.

Disc Play: Course begins and ends with several short technical holes that have that "typical Michigan woodsy" feel. The middle holes really ramp up the challenge with many mid to moderately long and tight holes that require decent distance with very good control for birdie opportunities. There are a couple of holes (3 & 12) where you can let rip, but for the other 16, throttling down will save you strokes (and quite possibly discs). Hole design is pretty good for the most part, but nothing special. Shot variety is good, with a mix of fairways hooking left, slicing right and many going straight. A few blind holes required scouting up ahead, and will help keep you honest from the teepad.

Course makes good use of water to add some thrill. The tee shot on 3 is far enough to make you think about it, but not so far that noodle arms (like me) can't carry the water. They also added a safer, dry approach to the left of the lake, so that those who don't want to risk splash down get to drive from an elevated tee pad with a left hooking line to a blind basket, which keeps the hole interesting for everyone. Designers also made decent use of elevation where it's available.

Hardware: Cement pads were in good shape (some were short), baskets were decent. Nothing more to note.
Cons: Navigation: By far this course's biggest fault. The fact that there are absolutely no signs, posts, tee markers, or arrows to point you towards the next tee whatsoever only hampers navigation on a course that flows poorly from basket to next tee in many spots.

Atmosphere: I have to agree with Bucket Bonanza; the locals here really need to learn etiquette. People looking for discs that don't seem to care if someone's waiting on the pad. Please learn the words learn the words "Go ahead and play through." Others were driving up on people while the group ahead were still looking and/or playing.

Lots of mud after many rainy days really dampened the fun factor for me - literally. This was a bigger problem between holes than it was on the fairways, and worse than on most courses I've played.

Just my opinion, but except for about 6 holes or so, I found the course to be lacking aesthetic appeal. Densely wooded holes block sunlight and keep grass from growing, resulting in fairways that are pretty much just dirt. Combined with low lying topography that retains water and washes away any mulch that may have been laid down, and the holes look washed out, bleak and barren, or swampy. Course looks like it gets lots of traffic from people who don't take care of it. Numerous trees had branches that would have extended into the fairway broken off - not cut. All in all, you get a course that simply isn't aging gracefully.
Other Thoughts: Have to say I was a bit disappointed. I was expecting more after reading some of the other reviews and what I've heard from others, but everything I've stated is pretty much factual and/or reinforced by the opinions of other reviewers.

No doubt the extreme muddiness I encountered has biased my opinion, but let that serve as a warning to anyone planning a trip here to make sure they select drier conditions, lest they share my bias.

Nonetheless, I'd have to say disc play is "good," so I'll give it a 3.0, but since the course falls short in just about every other area, that's all I got for this place.

What Hole Is This? Where Do I Go Next?

1    7/26/2010   7/27/2010
Review By: BucketBonanza
Pros: Tittabawassee Trails has eighteen holes of disc golf through some fairly interesting landscape. Hills, a bridge, and a bit of water save this course from being run of the mill. Each hole has a concrete tee pad. The first couple holes take you through tightly wooded dirt fairways that require a fair degree of luck to reach the pin. The third is over water with the option of playing a short tee that doesn't jeopardize your plastic if you are a short drive noob or a teenage girl like most of the players here. Four leads into the woods and starts a circuit through some decent hilly holes before opening up near a set of railroad tracks and then heading back in to some dirt fairway tree holes to finish up.
Cons: Unfortunately there are cons aplenty at Titty Trails. Most of the holes at Tittabawassee Trails are short with a readily visible basket just ahead. Few doglegs exist and most are simple straight upshots. I appreciate being able to see the basket, but it seemed quite short and not very challenging. I finished well under par my first time ever playing this course and I made the whole loop in under an hour while passing five groups of players. There are NO signs anywhere along this course. Nothing denoting hole number, apart from red tape on the basket poles which you can visualize when you are already holing out, and nothing with distances or basket location, and NO arrows that point you to the next hole. This course is sandwiched together tightly and is directionally confusing in more than one location. Likewise there is no map on the scorecard. It is heavily played. Liquor bottles and trash were strewn about in several locations. Without trying to be rude or snobby, most of the players I passed were beginner level teens and three out of five groups I passed, which were on average 5 people deep if not 8, had teen girls along with them spraying shots everywhere. I was grateful that they were stuck looking for errant discs so I could ASK THEM if I could pass and get on with my navigational nightmare. I realize that people like to play and I am truly happy that people enjoy the sport, but be courteous and let people pass without making them ask. And no more than 8 people in a foursome please! If you are reading this and you are a regular do your best to educate your chums on proper etiquette. I don't mean to be a prude, but this place was out of control.
Other Thoughts: I am letting my emotions get the best of me, but I was a bit disappointed by this course. I honestly have no desire to return to this course due to the simple fact that it was an absolute zoo. I hereby relinquish this course to the next generation of up and comings. This course has allowed me to see pay to play courses in a different light after witnessing the tomfoolery that was going on there. Cut your teeth there and move on. I foresee a heap of thumbs down for this one, but I cannot tell a lie! Be well.

The Lake

1    6/19/2010   6/19/2010
Review By: mklahre
Pros: -It has concreate tee pads which are nice.
-it has a fairly diverse holes so you dont feel like you've played the hole before
-It is fairly well marked.
Cons: -Not a very hard course (this could be a good thing)
-Only one restroom
-Not much altitude change
-Some parts are very muddy
-Some holes look a lot easier then they are
Other Thoughts: Very recently a disc golfer died while on this course. On hole number 3 or 4 I forget which
he lost his disc to the water hazard. He tried to go get it. He was weighed down so much by the water he drowned. For anyone thinking of going to get a disc out of water keep this in mind.(By the way I'm not making this up)