Freeland, MI
Tittabawassee Trails Share
Uploaded By: volklgirl Hole #15 (Taken 9/2009)

Home course

5+    4/28/2011   5/2/2011
Review By: Gyro
Pros: Fun course with a decent variety of shots. Quite a few technical shots. Great place for a beginner to learn. Very easy to get to.
Cons: Lack of signs as well as being pretty busy are the two biggest issues. If you haven't played the course before, I highly suggest you follow someone or you will find yourself lost. I wish it had a couple more open shots and water hazards.

What Hole Is This? Where Do I Go Next?

1    7/26/2010   7/27/2010
Review By: BucketBonanza
Pros: Tittabawassee Trails has eighteen holes of disc golf through some fairly interesting landscape. Hills, a bridge, and a bit of water save this course from being run of the mill. Each hole has a concrete tee pad. The first couple holes take you through tightly wooded dirt fairways that require a fair degree of luck to reach the pin. The third is over water with the option of playing a short tee that doesn't jeopardize your plastic if you are a short drive noob or a teenage girl like most of the players here. Four leads into the woods and starts a circuit through some decent hilly holes before opening up near a set of railroad tracks and then heading back in to some dirt fairway tree holes to finish up.
Cons: Unfortunately there are cons aplenty at Titty Trails. Most of the holes at Tittabawassee Trails are short with a readily visible basket just ahead. Few doglegs exist and most are simple straight upshots. I appreciate being able to see the basket, but it seemed quite short and not very challenging. I finished well under par my first time ever playing this course and I made the whole loop in under an hour while passing five groups of players. There are NO signs anywhere along this course. Nothing denoting hole number, apart from red tape on the basket poles which you can visualize when you are already holing out, and nothing with distances or basket location, and NO arrows that point you to the next hole. This course is sandwiched together tightly and is directionally confusing in more than one location. Likewise there is no map on the scorecard. It is heavily played. Liquor bottles and trash were strewn about in several locations. Without trying to be rude or snobby, most of the players I passed were beginner level teens and three out of five groups I passed, which were on average 5 people deep if not 8, had teen girls along with them spraying shots everywhere. I was grateful that they were stuck looking for errant discs so I could ASK THEM if I could pass and get on with my navigational nightmare. I realize that people like to play and I am truly happy that people enjoy the sport, but be courteous and let people pass without making them ask. And no more than 8 people in a foursome please! If you are reading this and you are a regular do your best to educate your chums on proper etiquette. I don't mean to be a prude, but this place was out of control.
Other Thoughts: I am letting my emotions get the best of me, but I was a bit disappointed by this course. I honestly have no desire to return to this course due to the simple fact that it was an absolute zoo. I hereby relinquish this course to the next generation of up and comings. This course has allowed me to see pay to play courses in a different light after witnessing the tomfoolery that was going on there. Cut your teeth there and move on. I foresee a heap of thumbs down for this one, but I cannot tell a lie! Be well.

The Lake

1    6/19/2010   6/19/2010
Review By: mklahre
Pros: -It has concreate tee pads which are nice.
-it has a fairly diverse holes so you dont feel like you've played the hole before
-It is fairly well marked.
Cons: -Not a very hard course (this could be a good thing)
-Only one restroom
-Not much altitude change
-Some parts are very muddy
-Some holes look a lot easier then they are
Other Thoughts: Very recently a disc golfer died while on this course. On hole number 3 or 4 I forget which
he lost his disc to the water hazard. He tried to go get it. He was weighed down so much by the water he drowned. For anyone thinking of going to get a disc out of water keep this in mind.(By the way I'm not making this up)

Fun in the Mud

2-4    6/12/2010   6/13/2010
Review By: Mad Scientist
Pros: Very technical course, with varied terrain. Elevation changes, tight tunnel shots, and lots of trees stress the importance of disc control. A few holes let you throw some bombs, but a solid short game is key. Contrete teepads are a good length to get a decent x-step. A well kept course overall.
Cons: Quite muddy both times I played there. No tee signs or directional indicators to get to the next hole. A couple fairways are close to each other, so it can feel crowded when the course is busy. Dense foliage, so keep an eye on your disc if it heads toward the rough.
Other Thoughts: I'm looking forward to playing this course when it drys out, as I'm sure it'll be a more enjoyable experience.

Not crazy about it

1    6/4/2010   6/6/2010
Review By: MGregg85
Pros: Lots of cool scenery, bridges over small streams, etc
Shooting over water is cool but not being able to go in after your disc sucks.
Cons: No signs

Confusing layout(print the map, you're gonna need it)

Poor drainage, lots of mud and water on some holes

Way too tight on almost every hole, plan on hitting a lot of wood
Other Thoughts: A nice course but too technical for me. I don't mind playing in the woods but this was like playing on a twisty two-track road.

Freeland

5+    4/12/2010   4/14/2010
Review By: Pickles
Pros: This is great course. Very challenging and yet not too hard for less experienced throwers. You can throw over the pond on hole 3 or use the alternate pad beside the pond like I do as I don't trust myself enough to not throw into the water. Elevation plays on holes 6, 7, 8, and 10. Hole 12 is long and wide open. Hole 16 is ace-able but I haven't yet anyway. Overall, a lot of different hole varieties that will help improve your game!
Cons: If you go later in the afternoon on a nice day, expect there to be a LOT of traffic. Once last year we got stuck behind a group of 20 people playing really slowly and that was frustrating. There are a lot of trees and its usually muddy with standing water in places throughout the year, but oh well right? Mosquitos can be bad in the summer too.
Other Thoughts: If you haven't played this course I would definetely recommend it to you. It isn't my favorite course, but there aren't many that are layed out as well as this one. Very easy to navigate too!

FUN EVERYTIME

5+    3/13/2010   3/21/2010
Review By: nooneshero
Pros: This is a very well maintaned course. About the best around here, very challenging. Nice distances on all the holes.
Cons: It gets a lil muddy but nothing that you cant handle, 6-9 are about the worst.
Other Thoughts: could use a few new pads, concrete is busting up.
there are so many good ace runs, ive hit the pin on a few holes.

hometown course

5+    2/4/2010   2/14/2010
Review By: midmittendgfiend
This review was updated on 5/2/2011
Pros: The tees stay clear during the winter, the bridges and stairs are nicely maintained. Technical so im always switching discs. The beautiful foliage is present during the fall season. a few open holes just to switch it up a bit. the hill is great for sledding after a nice round of golf in the winter.
Cons: people dont pick up their damn trash. no signage.
Other Thoughts: my first round was here. i love this course. and in the summertime they have concerts in the bandshell : )

Fun and frustrating

2-4    8/16/2009   8/25/2009
Review By: volklgirl
This review was updated on 10/12/2009
Pros: After searching and searching for the Chippewa Banks park, I was pleased that finding this park was a breeze. It's very easily accessible from the north via M-47 off US-10.

The park was well kept and clean and the course was exceptionally well laid out. All but 1 tee had concrete pads. Holes of every type are well represented here, with the incredibly frustrating pinball-style wooded holes #1 and #2, a couple of wide-open holes, most notably #12 toward the railroad tracks, the scary water hole #3 (which does have an alternate tee pad that eliminates the water hazard but makes the hole a blind left around a big hill), and several holes with tight fairways and big penalties for missed throws. The few elevations changes on the property were put to great use, making for some beautiful signature holes in the middle of the course. The elevated basket on the side slope on #7 (I think) was a killer and the elevated tee on #8 left you hoping you didn't shank your drive onto the tops of the bushes in the rough below, plus water in play on #5 and #10 adds extra challege. The tight, straight #11 left me cursing after 2 drives landed way up in the trees to the right and the 3rd landed down in the ditch on the left. Ace opportunities abound on the last 4 holes with shorter distances and fairly obvious fairways through the trees.

The rough in most areas has been well thinned and trampled making errant throws not a total disaster.

All-in-all, almost every hole was memorable in some way and this has the makings of a top-notch course.
Cons: No signage of any kind was my biggest pet-peeve. No real course kiosk, no next tee signs, and no tee markers left us frustrated and grumbling much of the time. Other DGers helped point the way, but I hated having to interrupt their game to ask directions, and few things cheese me more than having to wander around looking for a tee pad. In fact, after asking directions from others yet again, I neglected to pick up my rare 150 class Monarch.....argh!!! While printing and taking the map helped to some extent, there are enough other 2-tracks and hiking trails throughout the park that routes to the next tee or basket weren't obvious.

It looked like one of the tee pads had to be dug up for the installation of new drainage tiles throughout the park. Finding it proved to be a real headache.

The "No Entry at any Time" sign on the pond really put a damper on my excitement for finally throwing over open water. I know my drive would end up short and a floater doesn't do any good if you can't wade out to get it! Boo.
Other Thoughts: This course definitely has the potential to be a 4 - 4.5 disc course. The course itself was fun, interesting, and challenging, but it takes more than just great hole layout to truly make the cut for me. Tee/next tee signage is a "must" and benches in key places would be a plus.

***Update***
A second trip through the course with some knowledge of the course layout was a MUCH more pleasant experience! We were able to concentrate on the fun and challenge of each individual hole without being frustrated by trying to figure out where the basket was and stressing about where to go next. The missing tee pad has since been replaced, as well. Hubby (his first time at the course) agreed, however, that had he not had us leading the way, he would have given up trying to find his way around by hole 4, and he's not easily frustrated by things like that.

my hometown course

5+    8/2/2009   8/11/2009
Review By: bigjohnd24
Pros: This is a mostly technical course, with a few holes that are good for opening up. The tight woods and variety of elevation in the front 9 will keep your score high, but the back nine is bread and butter. It's a good course to practice tight skill shots with a little water thrown in.
Cons: It can be frustrating. I've played here more times than I can remember, but some of the holes have the ability to skyrocket bogies. The water over #3 is not for beginners. The course is low and can get very muddy and infested with bugs on some holes.
Other Thoughts: This is my hometown course, and I used to despise playing it. I've actually grown to like it more and more as my game improves. It's worth checking out if you're in the Tri-Cities.