Cramerton, NC
Goat Island DGC Share
Uploaded By: scottlarson Hole #1 (Taken 7/2012)

Beauty and the Beast

1    8/20/2014   8/21/2014
Review By: Dickie B
This review was updated on 8/28/2014
Pros: Absolutely, IMHO, the most beautiful course around Charlotte, N.C.. The entire island is basically a disc golf course, with a playground in the middle and its surrounded by the river. The holes are well laid out with a mix of backhand, forehand and 2 holes where a roller is the only way to make birdie.
The river is almost always in view and the island is lush and green. Very flat except for the designed-in, raised baskets, so it doesn't beat you to death walking it (ala RL Smith Park)
The flow of the holes is well done except for finding 18. Once you find it, it takes you on a cross-the-river throw and your end up right at the parking lot.
Cons: Bugs, bugs and oh, did I mention bugs? But if I hadn't forgotten my bug spray, it would have been fine. My bogie :)
Not enough trash cans. People seem to forget the "pack it in / pack it out" courtesy rule in disc golf.
No concrete tee pads. Makes throws a little risky.
The white tees didn't have markers and that is a shame because they went to the trouble to put up the post next to the white tees. And you know it isn't a matter of not knowing how to make a sign because the rest of the signage is great. Except for hole 14... it's labled as hole 12.
Other Thoughts: This is surely going to become a go-to course for me not only because of the beauty and smooth play, but it's close to my home in Clover.
All I could ask is that you just give it a try. I'm sure you will love this course.

Just needs pads

1    8/7/2014   8/7/2014
Review By: gvdg jake
Pros: Great signage coming off the main road to let you know lark was nearby. Park is set in the back of a quiet neighborhood along the river. Good place to walk or disc golf.

Very nice course along a river. Many holes play near the rivers edge and make this a scenic course. Holes were very well layer out and for the most part had a good flow to them. This course from whites is very friendly to newer players as there are not a lot of long holes. Blues is a different story, it's well set up for experience players.

I felt this course has a good mix of shots for all players. Turnover backhand, forehand flicks, over hands, etc.. Baskets are discatchers and in great shape also as this doesn't appear to be a very old course
Cons: Biggest issue I had were there were no tee boxes besides on hole 1 and hole 6 (?) where you could use the sidewalk to tee from. Signs were at the blue pads and posts with nothing on them were on white pads.

Small "next hole" signs were near baskets on trees. Look hard or you may miss them. I didn't like how hole 3 has you finish then path takes you halfway down fairway of hole 4, this could be dangerous if this park had more DG traffic.

No benches and only one trash can that I saw. The trash an was near the hole 15/16/17 junction. Not having a lot of trash cans doesn't bother me a lot since I usually pack it in and pack it out.

Also hole 1 was kinda hard to find. Sign in near parking lot. You throw into the corner over the hill to the first pin, just a FYI (not a con)
Other Thoughts: This is a great little course in the area. I think this course will be even better in the near future when they get concrete pads and tee signs on all pads. I rate this course about a 3.3 due to it missing pads and some lack of signage. I would recommend it if you're in the area looking for a unique course to play

Got better!

2-4    11/4/2012   11/4/2012
Review By: Bennybennybenny
This review was updated on 9/29/2013
Pros: -Goat Island now has 18 holes and it has definitely been cleared out. I got timg to delete my review when it was 9 holes because the designer said I reviewed it too early so I played it again and it's a good course.
-No more debris is on the fairway like it was in July.
-The short tees are all very playable.
-#18 is the best finishing hole I have played. The fairways on the back nine all need work but not #18. It IS flat but so is #18 at Hornet's Nest on the web layout. On the finishing hole here, you tee off over the water.
-This is a great park for families. It has a greenway for the older people (no offense). A playground for children (solution for my sister) and you can go canoeing. The best thing is that it has a disc golf course that will be a destination course in a year or two.
-The tee signs are very accurate on almost every hole. On the long tees, it shows the shape of the fairway. It shows where the short tees are located. Keep in mind that the short tees are wood with the hole number on them.
-The park is easy to find. While your headed to it, it has signs with arrows pointing you the way to this park.
-I used to HATE #7 but it's been cleared out. There actually is a birdie chance but you will need a good 275' foot hyzer. The trees are no taller than 10 feet. It's tough but much better than I remembered.
-The discatchers are in perfect shape.
-There are portajohns around the parking lot. I don't know if they are in good shape though.
-#17 is the only hole that plays only downhill.
Cons: -The problem was, when I played 13-16 were not playable yet. I had to go from 12 to 17. At least 12's basket is close to #17's tee. Be appreciative though, #13 through #16 are getting worked on.
-I would like it if #3's long tee was on the pavement. So the shot would be straight downhill.
-It has improved but the woods still are a bit thick. Especially on #12. I played the long tee and I lost a white beast. The long tees on some holes like #10 and #12 are not ready for play yet. My beast didn't land so it's stuck in the deep woods in the limbs.
-You can't cross the water on #18 so you go up a big hill to get to the bridge. It needs stairs but they will come soon.
-The woods have trash. In particular, soda bottles. You will pass a couple trashcans like in the transition from #7 to #8.
-There is quite a bit of tall grass around the fairways. It's not major but would be great if it gets cut since it's no longer summer.
-No benches installed yet but it's still new and a lack of downhill shots, #3 long could really be on pavement so it would have a nice 20 foot drop.
Other Thoughts: Goat Island overall is a good course. It has some easy holes and some holes are tough to save par. This course isn't hard from the short pads but it's a real challenge from the longs. Once #13 through #16 are in play and gets cleared out a little more, this would be a great course. Hole #11 really looks sweet and innocent from the long but by the time you get to the short tee, your next shot is very narrow and goes a bit right. Keep the drive short, if you go too long then you are in the ol' aqua.
-#9 actually has a short tee. At about 205' feet long. It's more of a recreational tee. I just wanted to throw a midrange from it and was 18 inches from the basket. There are a lot of low ceiling shots. Some shots can't go more than about 12 feet high. It's tough but a good thing will happen if you keep it low.
In my opinion, the stand out holes are #6, it's an easy hole that is more open than others that allows a birdie if you have good enough accuracy. #11 is also unique from the long, it's easy until about 190' feet. Then, if you miss your line, which is narrow. You are going to be stuck. It's the hardest from what I played today. #14 (which I saw a pic of but didn't play) has a very cool view of the water which if you go maybe 7-10 feet farther, you might take a swim. #18 is a flat finishing hole but OVER the water. It's not boring like #18 at trophy lakes or #18 at Winthrop. It's a memorable, super fun tee shot. Overall Goat Island is much better than it was before. When it was 9 holes. I was hoping from a fun tee shot over the water. I got exactly what I wanted.

Update:
This course deserves a 3.5. The Gdgc is working hard on this course. It gets flooded very easily and maintaining this course is like taming a beast. It's hard to work with but they are working with it well. 13-16 I didn't get to play yet because of property issues and it's getting annoying. This course is great and has some unique holes.

Goat Island

2-4    7/7/2012   7/9/2012
Review By: BirdmanCR
Pros: Fun somewhat shady. On an Island you can just in your kayak right after a round.
Cons: Super tight lines. Lost a disc (glo nuke). No water fountain. Signage could be a little better I had no problems however the maps have stright lines when the hole goes competely left or right before the strightaway.
Other Thoughts: STAY IN THE FAIRWAY.