Lawrence, IN
Horizon Indy DGC Share
Uploaded By: ajbova Hole #6 (Taken 4/2013)
3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #6 Approach

A Change of Pace

2-4    4/7/2013   4/7/2013
Review By: ajbova
Pros: - Baskets - 18 Chainstar baskets that are very grippy. They are in great condition.

- Can create your own shot depending on your ability: Basket to basket, tree to basket, etc. See cons. (There are no established throw pads)

- Variety - Uphill, downhill, valley, wooded holes, open holes, a creek, and a pond come into play.

- Water Hazards - Holes 10 and 18 deal with a pond. A bad throw can end up there. There is a creek running along holes 5, 6, and 12. The creek is a few inches deep but you have to climb down a small drop off.

- When camp/church grounds are empty, disc golf course sees little traffic. If not, see Cons.

- A few benches to sit on to rest.

USE THE COURSE MAP!!!
Cons: - No set throw pads - Not only are there no concrete pads, but there are no set throw pads in the grass. Dirt is only wore away on 2 of the throw areas according to the map. You can create your own course which can be a pro or con.

- No signs - No sign for disc golf course in general, no signs for individual holes. Without the map you will be wandering around for awhile and doing backtracking.

- Poorly Marked - In addition to lack of signage, not all of the baskets have numbers on them (some have worn off).

- No trash cans -

- Not much shade - Exceptions: Holes 3, 5, 6, 12, 14, 15.

- Course can be unplayable due to camp activities; 2 soccer fields, baseball field, relays, races, etc. I have came here once and was told that the course was closed for the day.

USE THE COURSE MAP!!!
Other Thoughts: This course is on the way to my friend's house so he showed me the layout for the course. I made a course map which will provide you with a nice flow and a mildly challenging layout to the course. If you do not use the map you will not enjoy this course. I have had positive feedback from disc golfers who have used the map on this course so I would suggest it. I took pictures of the course based on the map for reference.

The course has a great amount of variety and a few water hazards which makes this course unique.

A camp worker told me the course was playable weekdays after 6 as well as weekends (unless camp activities are taking place).

If this course had signs, established dirt or even concrete tees, I believe this course would be a 3.5 out of 5. If the course had all of the above and alternate tees, it would maybe be a 4 out of 5.

Not a destination

5+    8/30/2012   10/30/2012
Review By: Grungedude42
Pros: -As previously stated, the baskets are in great shape, and there are a full 18.
-Easy to play on Friday nights, parking is close to the first and last holes, very little traffic most of the time.
-Some interesting shots. Big sweeping hyzers, some tricky tunnel shots, and a nice blind drive.
Cons: -Obviously the land is not primarily used for disc golf. Some parking areas and buildings are far too close to the baskets for safety's sake.
-No distinguishable tee areas, signage or guides. You're on your own out there.
-When there are activities there, the course is totally unplayable. There's nights I head out there to get a quick round in, and wind up headed to Cumberland after I find that there's a mini camp happening.
Other Thoughts: Despite the undeveloped nature of the course, there is a charm to the property. It is very quiet, the people are friendly, and with some creativity you can improvise some very tricky holes. I usually play basket to basket, and use the time to work on some new shots. For a real variety, I've played it basket to basket from 1 to 18, turned around and played backwards back to 1.
All in all, a fun place to work on shots and maybe bring a friend, but utterly unplayable for a doubles night, and forget about a tourney.

A "build-your-own" course

5+    6/5/2012   6/24/2012
Review By: lukerichter
Pros: Before I go into the specifics of the course layout and such, a disclaimer should be stated: there is no (obvious) official layout to this course. There are no tee pads, just baskets lying around the property. Having said that, let me go over the pros of the layout (or layouts) I usually play.
-The baskets are top notch, near perfect condition Chainstars. Every one of them is in great working condition, probably because of the little use this unappreciated gem gets.
-The terrain of Camp Indy is surprisingly well-varied and interesting! Depending how you play this course (be creative!) there are rarely boring, straight shots. The course is hilly, sometimes wooded, and there is a pond that comes into play on one or two holes.
-The campus, being a school/summer camp/Bible college, is very well maintained and clean. I never even saw a piece of trash and surely not a cigarette butt to be found. Camp Indy is in a good part of town and in reasonable driving distance from Indianapolis.
-Because there is no official layout, this gives an opportunity for creativity on the part of the golfer. This may be seen as a huge con to many players, but give it a try. Maybe walking the course through and scouting it out is a good idea before jumping right in. I found that all the baskets are easily spotted and not far from each other.
Cons: -Even though I listed the lack of a layout in the pro category, it is definitely a con in many respects. For one, no one may ever actually play the course as it was intended to be played. Maybe there was no original intention. Again, the lack of official layout could be a huge turn off to many.
-There are often other activities going on on campus, especially during the spring and summer months (Summer camp, cross country practice, football practice, etc.). If you were to start after 6 pm you should be fine. Just be careful not to start before 6 on school days, I have been kicked off the course before by a self-entitled looking twenty-something riding full speed at me in a golf cart like I was lighting the basketball hoops on fire. Ah, Bible camps.
Other Thoughts: It has been a while since I played here for the first time, and when I did I played with a friend who knew the course well. If at all possible, play with someone who has familiarity with the basket locations. It should make the whole experience much more enjoyable. Since there is not an official layout, I feel like whatever I rate this course will be different from your experience. I rated Camp Indy with three stars because that is the amount of enjoyment I have when I play here relative to the other courses around me. Come to Camp Indy with an open mind, and take the course for what it is. Maybe you will like building your own course!