Minneapolis (Bloomington), MN
Moir Park Share
Uploaded By: yearofrolling Hole #5 (Taken 9/2010)

< Prev 1 2 3
Makes you better at putting

2-4    8/7/2015   8/15/2015
Review By: LeftyHukin
Pros: This is a putter course, maybe a mid range for holes 4 and 6.

I really enjoy my rounds here. Not because of any difficulty of the hole layout, but because you have not secured that birdie until you hit the perfect putt! This course really makes you a better putter since it teaches you how to hit a certain spot in order to make it in. Otherwise you will have what you think is a good putt doink off the basket!

The flow of the course is very easy to follow, so easy that the missing signs is not an issue, as long as you find hole 1! Hole 5 is tricky to find, just go right of 4's basket to the other side of the playground. Other than that, all the next tee's are within 20ft of the previous holes basket.

The concrete tees are in good shape, but very small. Good thing you are only using standstill shots! Since it is a local park, it is well maintained. A lot of trash cans due to picnic areas being very close to some of the holes and the grass was always mowed and fallen branches cleared.

This is a course I have no trouble bringing my wife or my friends who are beginners to. It is very short even for them, so makes them feel better and gets plenty of laughs trying to putt! Many would view the "cone" baskets as a con and I completely understand! Heck even on certain days I would feel the same. However if I am struggling with putting during the week, I love coming here to refocus and start hitting my spot. It really does help a lot and I can't say enough how great you feel when you can sink putts with no trouble here. For a while after a round here normal baskets seem easy!

The course is part of a local park which is always busy. At least every time I have been there. The course circles around the picnic areas and main structure and playground, so there are very few occasions where park goers get in the way.
Cons: Well its short... putter only short, so if you want to test you arm you are better off heading over to Hyland in Edina I believe.

There is a lack of signs to point you to the next tee, but it really isn't needed much since the course is so small.

The baskets... which for me is more of a pro, but putting as a con as well since it can get frustrating if you had been having a rough day or coming to the course in a very serious mood. If you can laugh it off then these cones are amazing fun!

Since the course is so short and pretty open, there really is no creative lines to be had. Beside a simple straight or hyzer putter shot as a lefty, the only "creative" line is a thumber on #9 which nearly scored me 3 skip aces the first 4-5 rounds I played! (Hit the basket twice).

There is also no elevation changes worth mentioning. It is all pretty flat, you there are a couple holes where the basket finishes 4-6ft higher or lower than where you tee off from.
Other Thoughts: Despite how much I claim to like the course, based on how I review courses i have to give it a poor score. It is not creative in terms of making you think of what shot to use and is not challenging. The baskets are the challenge and are more of a gimmick for fun than for serious play.

I wish there where some alternate baskets that would be tucked away to make you think of how to approach the hole, but with limit space they did what they could.

Very short even by short 9 hole course standards, but bring the family and have a great time! Don't go in expecting anything and you will not be disappointed.

Good course, if it had baskets

1    6/29/2015   6/29/2015
Review By: sc2sick
Pros: Can do a putter round
COULD be a better course
Cons: I really, really dislike the cones.. enough that I don't see myself playing here again.. or if I do I'll haul around my own basket and set it in front every tee.
Other Thoughts: I can't get past the cones.. some people think they're neat.. I think it makes me go somewhere else. Watching what would be a great put anywhere else bang off the thing is frustrating.

Cones and a Quick Play

2-4    8/21/2014   8/21/2014
Review By: c_a_miller
Pros: This course is set in a park that features big oak trees and small rolling hills.
I think this is one of the older courses in the area, on this site it says the course was designed in 1979, which is kind of cool in my opinion.
Each of the tee shots have fair lines to the basket. Each hole can be reached easily with one shot with a mid range. This is one of those courses that you can birdie every hole, but to do all nine in one round would be quite impressive. The course can be played multiple times in a little bit of time. It is great for new players
I am a fan of Minnesota courses having wood chips around the basket. This prevents erosion and also prevents skip aways, if your disc comes in too fast.
Cons: Each time I played at the course, the park had a big event going on that could potentially put some of the holes temporarily out of play.

The tee pads could use some wood chips, as the gravel is worn out and the tee areas are very small. Big run ups are not needed but they are really only two feet long and some back up into the parking lot.

I know the targets are very polarizing, but to me the targets are cool, and it was actual the reason I took the time to play the course, but unless you are 10' away, your odds of making the putt are slim. For the people that do manage to get an ace, the cones have big areas to welcome vandals to write their ace on the cones. It makes the course look not great.
Other Thoughts: I do my ratings based on fun, and I really did not have as much fun as I thought I would have. It was a fun course to play once. I found myself there again to warm up for one of my World's rounds, but the course had lost it's luster. Still, it is fun to play once to play on something different.

Nostalgic fun!

1    3/28/2014   5/28/2014
Review By: Stardoggy
Pros: Excellent beginner course, with nearly every hole less than 200'. The course is set in a relatively scenic little park on the end of a quiet street (at least when I was there). Lots of mature trees, and just a touch of elevation.

The course is set with cone baskets, which while most people would see as a con, I saw as a bonus. The holes are short enough that they add a little extra difficulty, just in a different way. Don't let them scare you off!!
Cons: The tee pads are basically junk. Small, boarded in asphalt calamities on most holes. You're probably better off playing off the sides of most of them.
Other Thoughts: I can definitely see why some people wouldn't like the idea of cone baskets, but as a quick, casual course, this place can't really be beat. You can literally knock out 9 in about 20 minutes, and you get the joy of playing something most people will never see.

Cones suck

2-4    3/29/2014   3/29/2014
Review By: deadbody
Pros: it has 9 holes with asphalt tees.
Cons: Cone baskets. Walking path through the course.
Other Thoughts: It sucks. Really it does. Cones are nice and historic and by the way they suck major ass. Course is very short and has no real difficulty.

First summer round

1    3/14/2014   3/14/2014
Review By: Austin James Annable
Pros: Short fun course, wasn't to hard to find my way around, the snow wasn't to overwhelming, can't wait to play it in the summer
Cons: The cone baskets are hard to putt into if your used to the chainstars of modern times.

very easy

1    6/20/2013   6/20/2013
Review By: Dr.feelgood
Pros: -Good for beginners women or children.
-very quick to play, only about 15 minutes.
-numbered teepads make navigation easy.
-lots of garbage cans and benches.
-good for short range practice
Cons: -very easy
-"baskets" make putts really difficult unless your right under them
-does not require anything faster then a midrange
Other Thoughts: A nice quick easy course. Not a very good variety of shots. Good for if you want to practice your short range game, except for putting. the "baskets" make putting a real challenge.

5+    6/8/2013   6/9/2013
Review By: timj5304
Pros: Lots of ace runs
Fast rounds
Nice park
Cons: Stolen cone #5(who would want to steal a cone)
Tee pads in bad shape
Cages in rough shape
Other Thoughts: Basically as time has gone on and the addiction and appreciation of the game have changed for me, I have grown to appeciate playing and putting on cone baskets in comparison to chains. Many players highly dislike them, the only reason someone can have to possibly dislike these is they are different AKA they are tougher to hit putts like jumpers on. If your stuck with jumpers that means your shot probably was not that good anyways. Cones make you hit the sweet spot, keep your disc flat with the nose level vs nose up. I played here yesterday when I failed to get a group together and played 2 rounds in 30 minutes. Was the first time in 2 years I did not take my bag out with me, just took 2 magnets and a buzzz and had a ton of fun!

Never seen those before!

2-4    6/15/2012   6/18/2012
Review By: mndiscg
Pros: -This place is clearly old, and not in a bad way. It has history within the state of Minnesota disc golf-wise.
-It has many ace and birdie runs.
-I actually like the targets, not so much on a practical note but on a historical and unique note.
-Many holes have a bit of elevation in there that makes the holes more fun.
-Good for practicing approaches and putting.
-Woodchip paths and green areas on many hole.
-Big trees for obstacles
-Very good for beginners, children, girlfriends, grandparents, etc
-Very clean and safe feeling, not something you always find in the Twin Cities
-Adequate parking, bathrooms, playground if the kids don't want to disc
Cons: -Very short
-One of the more popular courses in the Metro area
-Some may think of the cones as a con
-Could be very busy
-May have to watch out for non-disc golfers.
-The big trees don't present a great challenge.
-The tees are pretty small but you don't need much of a run up on any holes.
Other Thoughts: I found this course to be very fun. It is short and has ace runs which I like. It is definitely a course that was made back when players used one large diameter disc for everything. If you are looking for a long 18+ with technical holes then go to Bryant, Hyland, Kaposia, or BRP. If you want a very quick, fun round or have some beginners with you then come here. It is something to experience once due to its historical factor no matter who you are.

1    11/29/2011   11/29/2011
Review By: Jumpinjoe
Pros: This is a great winter course because it's short, relatively flat, and most of all, fun to play. Every hole is ace-able, but #4 and #9 have only been aced a few times. (BTW I have aced a few holes here but I'm not the Joe who wrote his name on the table!) Playing cones is very cool because it is ... different. You still have the satisfaction of holing out but without the chain music. It sounds cooler: "bonnnng" or if you use a Blow Fly: "Thuccck". It's considered good form to place your hand on the cone to dampen the vibes after you hole out. Other pros: clean restrooms, great views of Nine Mile Creek, nice parking lot, and its important place in MN DG history.
Cons: It can be crowded. This short little ancient cone course is very popular, in fact, it's probably in the top 5 in the metro area. Why? It's fun to play.
Other Thoughts: It's hard to write objectively about a course you love, but I'll try. Moir was not THE first course in MN but it's definitely ONE of the first. Few courses have had songs written about it, but this one has: Moir in the Morning. It was written by that swinging Norwegian guy, Knut Fjeldheim on the occasion of one of the early State Championships. That's right, believe it or not, in the early days we played Moir as one of four courses that comprised the 36 hole finals. Lightnin' Lyle Jensen #102 and Bangstad host Moir Mystery Madness here every May. It's the oldest alternative format tourney in the world and one heck of a lot of fun to play. Everyone has to throw the same light plastic disc so it is challenging, but most of all, an excuse to have fun. If you're looking for a tough state-of-the-art DGC, go to Bryant Lake or HSSA or BRP, but if it is something different you seek, try Moir.

< Prev 1 2 3