Minneapolis (Bloomington), MN
Moir Park Share
Uploaded By: yearofrolling Hole #2 (Taken 9/2010)

< Prev 1 2 3
Cones and a Quick Play

2-4    8/21/2014   8/21/2014
Review By: c_a_miller
Pros: This course is set in a park that features big oak trees and small rolling hills.
I think this is one of the older courses in the area, on this site it says the course was designed in 1979, which is kind of cool in my opinion.
Each of the tee shots have fair lines to the basket. Each hole can be reached easily with one shot with a mid range. This is one of those courses that you can birdie every hole, but to do all nine in one round would be quite impressive. The course can be played multiple times in a little bit of time. It is great for new players
I am a fan of Minnesota courses having wood chips around the basket. This prevents erosion and also prevents skip aways, if your disc comes in too fast.
Cons: Each time I played at the course, the park had a big event going on that could potentially put some of the holes temporarily out of play.

The tee pads could use some wood chips, as the gravel is worn out and the tee areas are very small. Big run ups are not needed but they are really only two feet long and some back up into the parking lot.

I know the targets are very polarizing, but to me the targets are cool, and it was actual the reason I took the time to play the course, but unless you are 10' away, your odds of making the putt are slim. For the people that do manage to get an ace, the cones have big areas to welcome vandals to write their ace on the cones. It makes the course look not great.
Other Thoughts: I do my ratings based on fun, and I really did not have as much fun as I thought I would have. It was a fun course to play once. I found myself there again to warm up for one of my World's rounds, but the course had lost it's luster. Still, it is fun to play once to play on something different.

Nostalgic fun!

1    3/28/2014   5/28/2014
Review By: Stardoggy
Pros: Excellent beginner course, with nearly every hole less than 200'. The course is set in a relatively scenic little park on the end of a quiet street (at least when I was there). Lots of mature trees, and just a touch of elevation.

The course is set with cone baskets, which while most people would see as a con, I saw as a bonus. The holes are short enough that they add a little extra difficulty, just in a different way. Don't let them scare you off!!
Cons: The tee pads are basically junk. Small, boarded in asphalt calamities on most holes. You're probably better off playing off the sides of most of them.
Other Thoughts: I can definitely see why some people wouldn't like the idea of cone baskets, but as a quick, casual course, this place can't really be beat. You can literally knock out 9 in about 20 minutes, and you get the joy of playing something most people will never see.

Cones suck

2-4    3/29/2014   3/29/2014
Review By: deadbody
Pros: it has 9 holes with asphalt tees.
Cons: Cone baskets. Walking path through the course.
Other Thoughts: It sucks. Really it does. Cones are nice and historic and by the way they suck major ass. Course is very short and has no real difficulty.

First summer round

1    3/14/2014   3/14/2014
Review By: Austin James Annable
Pros: Short fun course, wasn't to hard to find my way around, the snow wasn't to overwhelming, can't wait to play it in the summer
Cons: The cone baskets are hard to putt into if your used to the chainstars of modern times.

very easy

1    6/20/2013   6/20/2013
Review By: Dr.feelgood
Pros: -Good for beginners women or children.
-very quick to play, only about 15 minutes.
-numbered teepads make navigation easy.
-historic
-clean.
-lots of garbage cans and benches.
-good for short range practice
Cons: -very easy
-short
-"baskets" make putts really difficult unless your right under them
-does not require anything faster then a midrange
Other Thoughts: A nice quick easy course. Not a very good variety of shots. Good for if you want to practice your short range game, except for putting. the "baskets" make putting a real challenge.

5+    6/8/2013   6/9/2013
Review By: timj5304
Pros: Lots of ace runs
Fast rounds
Nice park
Cons: Stolen cone #5(who would want to steal a cone)
Tee pads in bad shape
Cages in rough shape
Other Thoughts: Basically as time has gone on and the addiction and appreciation of the game have changed for me, I have grown to appeciate playing and putting on cone baskets in comparison to chains. Many players highly dislike them, the only reason someone can have to possibly dislike these is they are different AKA they are tougher to hit putts like jumpers on. If your stuck with jumpers that means your shot probably was not that good anyways. Cones make you hit the sweet spot, keep your disc flat with the nose level vs nose up. I played here yesterday when I failed to get a group together and played 2 rounds in 30 minutes. Was the first time in 2 years I did not take my bag out with me, just took 2 magnets and a buzzz and had a ton of fun!

Never seen those before!

2-4    6/15/2012   6/18/2012
Review By: mndiscg
Pros: -This place is clearly old, and not in a bad way. It has history within the state of Minnesota disc golf-wise.
-It has many ace and birdie runs.
-I actually like the targets, not so much on a practical note but on a historical and unique note.
-Many holes have a bit of elevation in there that makes the holes more fun.
-Good for practicing approaches and putting.
-Woodchip paths and green areas on many hole.
-Big trees for obstacles
-Very good for beginners, children, girlfriends, grandparents, etc
-Very clean and safe feeling, not something you always find in the Twin Cities
-Adequate parking, bathrooms, playground if the kids don't want to disc
Cons: -Very short
-One of the more popular courses in the Metro area
-Some may think of the cones as a con
-Could be very busy
-May have to watch out for non-disc golfers.
-The big trees don't present a great challenge.
-The tees are pretty small but you don't need much of a run up on any holes.
Other Thoughts: I found this course to be very fun. It is short and has ace runs which I like. It is definitely a course that was made back when players used one large diameter disc for everything. If you are looking for a long 18+ with technical holes then go to Bryant, Hyland, Kaposia, or BRP. If you want a very quick, fun round or have some beginners with you then come here. It is something to experience once due to its historical factor no matter who you are.

I LOVE MOIR!

1    11/29/2011   11/29/2011
Review By: Jumpinjoe
Pros: This is a great winter course because it's short, relatively flat, and most of all, fun to play. Every hole is ace-able, but #4 and #9 have only been aced a few times. (BTW I have aced a few holes here but I'm not the Joe who wrote his name on the table!) Playing cones is very cool because it is ... different. You still have the satisfaction of holing out but without the chain music. It sounds cooler: "bonnnng" or if you use a Blow Fly: "Thuccck". It's considered good form to place your hand on the cone to dampen the vibes after you hole out. Other pros: clean restrooms, great views of Nine Mile Creek, nice parking lot, and its important place in MN DG history.
Cons: It can be crowded. This short little ancient cone course is very popular, in fact, it's probably in the top 5 in the metro area. Why? It's fun to play.
Other Thoughts: It's hard to write objectively about a course you love, but I'll try. Moir was not THE first course in MN but it's definitely ONE of the first. Few courses have had songs written about it, but this one has: Moir in the Morning. It was written by that swinging Norwegian guy, Knut Fjeldheim on the occasion of one of the early State Championships. That's right, believe it or not, in the early days we played Moir as one of four courses that comprised the 36 hole finals. Lightnin' Lyle Jensen #102 and Bangstad host Moir Mystery Madness here every May. It's the oldest alternative format tourney in the world and one heck of a lot of fun to play. Everyone has to throw the same light plastic disc so it is challenging, but most of all, an excuse to have fun. If you're looking for a tough state-of-the-art DGC, go to Bryant Lake or HSSA or BRP, but if it is something different you seek, try Moir.

I'd go somewhere else for 9 holes

1    9/30/2011   9/30/2011
Review By: bigbeano
Pros: -There are concrete tee pads
-It's fairly hard to get lost here
-There are at least chunks of wood at each tee that have the hole number and direction of the hole on them
-It's a disc golf course...
Cons: -Tee signs don't have distances on them
-Tee pads are incredibly short and for some dumb reason have barriers at the end which would be very easy to trip over
-Baskets are interesting to say the least (you basically have to drop it into the tray otherwise your disc will bounce out off of the solid metal "chains", more on this later)
-Only hole is above 250', everything else is silly short (in fact, one hole is 119')
Other Thoughts: I don't mind the local park pitch & putts or rec courses or whatever you would typically call them; however this one just doesn't get it done for me. There are two reasons for this: one of which is the baskets. These baskets are just weird, I'm not sure how else to put it. I'd like to say they have personality because they're different, but they're just a bad design. The baskets don't have chains, but rather it is a cone-shaped slab of metal in place of the chains. The trays are slightly larger but that does not nearly make up for the lack of chains to help catch discs. You literally have to drop your putt directly into the tray or it will probably bounce out. This course would be an absolute haven for aces, but you'd need to have a perfect shot to drop it in. Second, is the length of the course. Usually there is at least one hole on a course like this that requires a little bit of length or accuracy; but this course requires neither. I have now played 16 different courses and this is honestly the only one that I would not consider returning to again. If this course had normal baskets it would have some redeeming qualities as a course for an ace run. But as is, don't bother.

Home Of The Turnip Targets!

1    7/24/2011   8/16/2011
This review was updated on 11/30/2011
Pros: I'm not sure about the history lesson I'm learning here in the Twin Cities area. I'm reading that this is the oldest course in the state and that these "cone shaped targets" are "historic" and what the game started with. While I believe this course could very well be the oldest in the state, I don't think these cone baskets or UFO or little green martians or turnips or mushrooms or whatever the heck you wish to call them were ever common in disc golf. They were not the predecessors to the beloved baskets we all know and love to throw too. Disc golf had it's roots in Southern California back in the mid to late 70's and those early courses had baskets, not upside down, green coney things. But getting back to old Moir Park, this is mostly an enjoyable little 9 hole course with all these ACE runs. I thought it was cute and quaint that the # 1 sign says "Start" and the # 9 tee sign says "Finish." I've not seen that on a course ever before.
But I like these quick little 15 minute round courses. Attempting to rack up ACES on these targets would be interesting?????
Cons: I played early in the AM so missed the crowds rushing in to play this historic course. One problem with the cone targets is they provide a perfect platform for one to record his/her ACE on. So congratulations to "Joe" and all the others who recorded a 156' ACE and then so proudly wrote his/her names for all to gap at in awe for all eternity. But then again, maybe getting any ACE to stick on these targets actually is an event bordering on the miraculous and should be recorded for the ages!

OK, the course is short. It's your basic Pitch & Putt. Maybe the crowds can be insane. Be careful after dark, I guess.
Other Thoughts: As usual, I'm tending to agree with Mr. Harr and state that I like this course. If I lived close and it had baskets (not little green, upside down cone things) I'd play it all the time and enjoy racking up my meager career ACE total. As it currently plays, unless I lived across the street, I'd probably pass and spend my disc golfing time playing any one of the Twin Cities other mulitude of fine courses.

< Prev 1 2 3