Portland, OR
Pier Park Share
Uploaded By: didy22 Hole #18 (Taken 7/2009)

One of my personal favorites !

1    5/2/2009   11/21/2009
Review By: menmabassguitar
Pros: 1st tee is directly next to the parking circle. The grass was very well kept, there was a nice amount of trees and lots of long holes.

Pier DGC is located in a city park so it shares all the fine accommodations one could offer. Trash bins EVERYWHERE.

Drink and smoke appears to be kosher.
Cons: When I played it was pretty crowded with all kinds of people so I would go early
Had to dodge a few tennis courts.
Holes 6-9 made some confusing switch backs but I noticed what looked like the bed for a new concrete tee pad so that may have been why things where hectic around there.
Other Thoughts: This is my friends home course that I had the pleasure of playing last summer under perfect conditions.
I was really blown away coming from WA.

Aww yeah!!!

1    10/13/2009   10/30/2009
Review By: HeiserSöze
Pros: Huge course with big trees. Concrete tee-pads. Bring discs for all types of shots. Easy to navigate.
Cons: No cons from me here on this one I must say. This place kicked butt.
Other Thoughts: I could spend all day here. I'm from Seattle and will be back soon.

2-4    9/12/2009   10/14/2009
Review By: karottop420
Pros: concrete tee pads are always a plus, all the days i've gone there was a guy by the first tee selling drinks and food, hole 12 with the dream catcher in the tree!! it's in a public park but it's laid out well enough that they don't interfer with your game.
Cons: not many except a few of the holes are blind, no am tees, and some of the hole are super long and still par 3's,
Other Thoughts: enjoyed the course very much, not to many chances for lost discs, lots of trees but still pretty open

Aaaaah yeah

1    9/27/2009   9/30/2009
Review By: Scorchysrevenge
Pros: -Very diverse (tight holes, long holes, short holes, long bombs, left shots, right shots)
-Well taken care of
-Big old growth trees
-No underbrush-- hard to lose discs
-Lots of shade, great for playing on hot summer days
-Hot dog vendor (whooo hoooo!!!!), also sells discs on site, on hole 1
-Beautiful park right on the edge of Portland
-Can see most pins from Tee pad.

-Beau
Cons: -Course map would be nice but there were lots of friendly people around to ask. Hole 10, 11, 13 and 14 are easy to miss unless you know where you are going.
-No Tee pad marking after hole 8.
Other Thoughts: This course has it ALL. Probably best course I've ever played.

Magic Under Douglas Fir Canopies

1    8/24/2009   9/7/2009
Review By: JHern
Pros: I played Pier Park on a trip to Oregon to visit my brother. His best friend lives just up the street from the park, and while he had played disc golf before he didn't know about this course! Well, there are now 2 new avid players at Pier Park after my visit. I was well aware that this course had been home to some of the best players around, like the Jenkins family, and I heard rumors that some people thought it might be as on par with some of NorCal's best courses, which really had me excited. I wasn't let down.

The douglas firs that roof the majority of this course are wonderful, and they make for fantastic obstacles on most holes. Many of the holes play up and down a moderate degree of topography, and there are ravines that make up a couple fairways as well. Very very nice, and all the while beneath this huge canopy of trees.

The tees and baskets were well-maintained, and the fairways were mostly clear and uncluttered. All the grassy parts were well-kept and mowed. This course is obviously greatly loved by its benefactors, and I feel grateful for the opportunity to enjoy the fruit of their labor.

I'm not a pro by any means, but many of the holes were challenging enough and I was happy when I was making par (my first round was +1). There appeared to be a nice range of distances on the various holes, about in the range 250-500 ft. A couple were long enough to require long upshots for par (at least for me).
Cons: The railroad runs along one side of the park, and while we were playing a second round (we couldn't do just one!) a freight train was parked there along with all sorts of loud activity, machines, a huge diesel engine loping away on the engine, etc.. At first I thought this was kind of cool, but after a while I thought it could grow to become annoying.

I think it was around hole 7 or 8 that there is a weird jog in the course flow, where you have to cross several later holes to get to the next tee pad. But I'm not sure how I'd re-arrange this if I were in charge. Anyways, once you figure it out, its easy breezy.
Other Thoughts: I found myself eyeing the houses around the edge of the park, which is in a relatively poor neighborhood. This and a for-sale sign had me wondering how much it would cost to buy one, or whether a group purchase of a house in the neighborhood by a bunch of avid disc golfers might not be a bad idea. Kind of a disc golf time share, but informally organized. This kind of thing would not be affordable in Santa Cruz, where my favorite course-to-date can be found.

Great Park, but Where's the Pier?

5+    7/20/2009   8/26/2009
Review By: forehandfranz
This review was updated on 6/3/2014
Pros: The park plays through a cathedral of large firs and is a great hideout for both sunny and rainy days. The layout is challenging, enjoyable and can cater to many skill levels. The elevation plays into well over half the holes though it isn't too steep and gruelling. Discs are easily found on the ground as there is rather thin underbrush. Accuracy is the key with a mix of lengths to make you happy.

This course is a marvel as you navigate through the big trees - some of the biggest I've seen on a course. They truly shape the fairways.
Cons: Navigation can be a little confusing - they do have some "next tee" arrows high up in the trees to help out, but a map may be better for the first time.

Garbage (beer cans and bottles) - despite there being numerous trash cans in the park, we found numerous cans and bottles on nearly every hole. Needless to say, I can't stand the scum who litter. This is not the fault of the park or disc club, just a rant against people who have room to pack it in, but no room to pack it out.
Other Thoughts: There is a really nice guy who is now selling discs and grilling food next to Tee #1. Please give him your business, as concessions at disc golf courses is truly a rarity and a privilege!

Great test

2-4    7/9/2009   8/23/2009
Review By: Reis Just Reis
This review was updated on 10/21/2009
Pros: Large scenic course with well maintained equipment. It offeres some of the most variety from hole to hole I've played so far. Excellent use of elevation thru out the entire course. The same can be said for the use of the numerous fir trees that occure thru out the course. I'm hoping that this winter those trees will offer some shelter from the inevitable rain that I am bound to be playing in. I didn't need a map most of the time, and when I did have a question there were always plenty of other players to point me in the right direction. I loved the "putting green" that they had set up near hole one. Great for a game of HORSE.
Cons: My first trip was during the summer and the mosquitoes ate us alive!!! So bring some repellent! My second time was begining of fall and it was just fine. My only other complaint is the location. It is a popular park for more than just us disc throwers. Not too long ago I saw on the news where there was a shooting (gang related) here.
Other Thoughts: I really like playing this course, but I won't bring my family when I do. A few days after having played this course for the first time there was a shooting covered by the local news (gang related as I recall) at night. Since it is day time when I play, I'll still risk it (have never seen anything remotely suspisious). But I'de rather erre on the side of caution when it comes to my wife and child. Wouldn't feel right to not share my concerns. Take them for what they are worth.

A fun day...

5+    8/10/2009   8/20/2009
Review By: Hippy007
Pros: This is one of the best course around. They have multiple pin placements so that there are a lot of different ways that the course will play. This is a great tourney course that will make you make all types of shots. It is by far the best city course I have played any where.
This park is always in a great condition. There is almost no place to loose a disc on the course.
Cons: Well there are not that many I have ever found. The one and it is only very small, Benches and trash cans. I wish there where a few more around the course but it is not enough to take much away.
Other Thoughts: I will play this course any time I can and try to. This is a must stop on any trip though Portland. I have sometimes had to wait in line at the first tee but by 3 all are spread out so don't worry. There is also a guy that sells discs and dogs and he is usually by the first tee. Even on some of the hottest days in Portland it can be nicer and cooler under the tree of Pier park.

Home Course

5+    8/8/2009   8/9/2009
Review By: mmedlock
Pros: Pier Park is by far the most beautiful course i have ever played. I consider myself extremely lucky to have learned the game here. Right now, the course is playing more difficult than normal. This is because of the Rose City Open that was played here a few weeks ago. The pin locations are long on most holes. I have noted this as a pro because i embrace the challenge :). This course will test all aspects of your game. Length, technical ability, uphill and downhill shots, and even windy shots (1-2, and 17-18), The holes in between are very sheltered from the tall trees from wind and sun. This course makes for a wonderful hike in the Portland area. Everyone i have met here is extremely nice and willing to help. Say hi to Tim on the first hole. He is the local disc/dog vendor. Great prices on discs as well as local hot dogs! This course is a must experience in Oregon.
Cons: This course can get very crowded on the weekends during the afternoons. Personally, i cant blame the crowds. Patience is sometimes a must however. There are a few holes that can be tough to navigate. Once again, locals can be very helpful for this. That's pretty much all of cons i can think of for this course. Oh yeah, there are some days where trees are not your friends. Like i said earlier, this course has a lot of technical shots.
Other Thoughts: Overall, i enjoy playing Pier Park very much. It has taken me a little less than a year to score under par. I even got my first ace on hole #2 at Pier. Also, if you want to buy any discs, Tim is the man to see. You will save a atleast 2 bucks per disc. Every wednesday there is a mixed doubles tournament for 6 bucks. This tourny usually brings in about 40 players. If you want to see the best course in Oregon, Pier Park is where its at.

Get pier'd

5+    7/22/2009   7/30/2009
Review By: lens2film
Pros: Each hole has a number of options for lines to take off the tee. If you are a technical player, you will still be challenged. If you are a distance player, you will still be pushed to throw further. If you are a beginner you will have to learn quick. The trees offer protection, but at the same time you will want to chop them down at least five times a round (jk). That leads me to the con.
Cons: Aside from the busy days, the hardest thing to get over is the tree love/hate relationship you will build at pier. Even the best players have some bad tree action. But that is also a big Pro for this course. You will never have the same round.
Other Thoughts: I began playing about 2 years and have played from day one on this course. My best is -4 solo and -9 doubles. If you play here long enough, it will MAKE you a great player. I have since move to LA and will play La Mirada, but I will ALWAYS come back here when I visit Portland.