Portland, OR
Pier Park Share
Uploaded By: JMONEY Hole #14 (Taken 10/2010)

1    12/2/2009   5/23/2010
Review By: nonono
Pros: the trees make it hard but its fun still also. good tee pads and baskets and a couple of benches when its hilly. good mix of different shots for you to try and master
Cons: its hard to find your ways around with no tee signs so you have to play with people who know the course or you have to ask someone. can get frustrating
Other Thoughts: this is a great course to play and learn lots of shots and have fun

A PDX Classic....

5+    12/14/2009   1/6/2010
Review By: Oregon_Nole
Pros: *The trees. Just take my work for it, the trees are phenomenal....
*Great design. Rights, lefts, low ceiling, high ceiling, open, tight.... every type of shot required.
*Good Flow
*Challenging, yet manageable.
*Good use of minor elevation changes...
*Did I mention the trees????
Cons: *No tee signs or hole maps
*Some of the tees/pins can be difficult to locate, 6 to 7 and 13 to 14 to 15 come to mind, so if its your first time, bring a map or join up with a local.
*It can be crowded, but all of the people I've run into have been way cool.
*The park is kind of a pain to find, and its a ways out there, so get good directions, and stick to them.
*The park isn't in the best of neighborhoods, I've never had any problems, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear otherwise...
Other Thoughts: This is one of my favorite courses. The course starts out with two semi-open holes, at least by Pier's standards. Hole three is where you enter the trees. For the rest of the course, you play through, or along the edges of a huge stand of MASSIVE fir trees. The cool thing, even though the trees make you feel you're in the forest, the underbrush is nonexistent, so losing a disc isn't a huge risk.

Even though there's no HUGE elevation changes, the course incorporates a fair amount of undulation, both in the fairways and on the greens...

Again, if its your first time, make sure you get solid directions to the park, and a map of the course, but if you've never been, and you have an afternoon to kill in Portland, check this course out.

There's just something special about this place, once you get into the trees, its easy to forget you're in a city park.

Peerless Pier

5+    12/27/2009   12/29/2009
Review By: Big Papa
This review was updated on 1/3/2010
Pros: Location. Scenery. Salmon berries in the summer. Variety for righties and lefties. Close to home. Easy access. I've played this course about 100 times, never tire of it. Plenty of parking. The drive over St. Johns bridge is always a pleasure, coming and going. Friendly folks for the most part. I'm blessed to live near such an amenity. Great tees, the baskets are in very good shape. Little trash here and there, mostly a clean scene. Long drives, interesting technical challenges. I've only lost one disc in 100+ trips. The story here is trees. Little underbrush, you won't lose many discs here. If you're a Portlander, you know about our local gem. If you're visiting, you can't miss this one. Close to hotels or motels and good cheap eats, like the Mexi place on Lombard that shares the same bldg as the grocery. I thought DeLa Veaga was the bomb diggity....come on down and do Pier. Couple of plusses: Even when it's rainy and windy in P-town, for some reason the weather is better at Pier----less rain and wind I've discovered. Also, cooler on hot days.
Cons: Crowds!!! However, get there before 9:00 a.m and you'll have a leisurely time. The tokers and topers haven't got an idea yet at that time, so just go a little early and you'll be fine. Otherwise, it can be a time to try your patience. Pier is all about trees, lots o'trees; control those drives. I would say the course is basically intuitive to follow; there are a couple of tees that may be tough to find. I think there's a map of Pier somewhere...print it up if it's your first time. There is only one bathroom at the first tee----. Take some skeeter-fighter in summer, just in case---we got eaten up a couple of times.
Other Thoughts: I'll throw Pier 75% of the time. If you need a change, try Leverich in Vantuckey, close by off I-5. Or, a little further south, Timber in Estacada. Or Dabney in Troutdale. For a special treat, try North Bonneville across the Columbia River. But, Pier pretty much has it all. Once it started snowing there, and it was one of those times when the snow coming through the big firs, the whole scene could have been staged in a movie. GIve it up for the volunteers who helped get Pier in gear and keep it there.

I Work hard and Play Harder!

5+    12/7/2009   12/8/2009
Review By: JMONEY
This review was updated on 6/22/2012
Pros: This course is in its own little world , with the towering green giants with their dark brown bark with the darkgreen foliage in the background. It can be serene. I appreciated the large concrete tees,the large area where the practice basket is and the baseball fields to practice your drives. The wide paths are appreciated through out the park since joggers and dog walkers frequent the park which brings me to the great design of Pier Park. There isn't any holes that require you to WAIT for others to get out of the way. The layout challenges all shots in the bag too.
Starting with a roller on Hole #1 & #2
( its the only part of the course that has "lawn" take advantage of it.
Hole #5 is a elevation shot up to a blinded basket.
Hole #6 - Your mouth waters as you look down at drive in elevation.
Hole #13 - Will test your over-hand.
Holes #14 & 15 - Screams "down the middle" as the basket stares at you if you have a straight drive.
Hole #18 - A wide-open drive
The scenery is WoW! tall trees
Cons: Can get crowded during afternoons and weekends.
Other Thoughts: I came up to Portland for work and discovered Pier Park. I played here 6-9 times a week for two months I've been spoiled. I was there during the hours of 6am-noon weekdays, very nice and quite its a whole different atmosphere,INCREDIBLE!

UPDATE: New tee signs and some underbrush has been removed...overall Pier Park looks at its finest. Tee signs improved my rating!

One of my personal favorites !

1    5/2/2009   11/21/2009
Review By: menmabassguitar
Pros: 1st tee is directly next to the parking circle. The grass was very well kept, there was a nice amount of trees and lots of long holes.

Pier DGC is located in a city park so it shares all the fine accommodations one could offer. Trash bins EVERYWHERE.

Drink and smoke appears to be kosher.
Cons: When I played it was pretty crowded with all kinds of people so I would go early
Had to dodge a few tennis courts.
Holes 6-9 made some confusing switch backs but I noticed what looked like the bed for a new concrete tee pad so that may have been why things where hectic around there.
Other Thoughts: This is my friends home course that I had the pleasure of playing last summer under perfect conditions.
I was really blown away coming from WA.

Aww yeah!!!

1    10/13/2009   10/30/2009
Review By: HeiserSöze
Pros: Huge course with big trees. Concrete tee-pads. Bring discs for all types of shots. Easy to navigate.
Cons: No cons from me here on this one I must say. This place kicked butt.
Other Thoughts: I could spend all day here. I'm from Seattle and will be back soon.

2-4    9/12/2009   10/14/2009
Review By: karottop420
Pros: concrete tee pads are always a plus, all the days i've gone there was a guy by the first tee selling drinks and food, hole 12 with the dream catcher in the tree!! it's in a public park but it's laid out well enough that they don't interfer with your game.
Cons: not many except a few of the holes are blind, no am tees, and some of the hole are super long and still par 3's,
Other Thoughts: enjoyed the course very much, not to many chances for lost discs, lots of trees but still pretty open

Aaaaah yeah

1    9/27/2009   9/30/2009
Review By: Scorchysrevenge
Pros: -Very diverse (tight holes, long holes, short holes, long bombs, left shots, right shots)
-Well taken care of
-Big old growth trees
-No underbrush-- hard to lose discs
-Lots of shade, great for playing on hot summer days
-Hot dog vendor (whooo hoooo!!!!), also sells discs on site, on hole 1
-Beautiful park right on the edge of Portland
-Can see most pins from Tee pad.

-Beau
Cons: -Course map would be nice but there were lots of friendly people around to ask. Hole 10, 11, 13 and 14 are easy to miss unless you know where you are going.
-No Tee pad marking after hole 8.
Other Thoughts: This course has it ALL. Probably best course I've ever played.

Magic Under Douglas Fir Canopies

1    8/24/2009   9/7/2009
Review By: JHern
Pros: I played Pier Park on a trip to Oregon to visit my brother. His best friend lives just up the street from the park, and while he had played disc golf before he didn't know about this course! Well, there are now 2 new avid players at Pier Park after my visit. I was well aware that this course had been home to some of the best players around, like the Jenkins family, and I heard rumors that some people thought it might be as on par with some of NorCal's best courses, which really had me excited. I wasn't let down.

The douglas firs that roof the majority of this course are wonderful, and they make for fantastic obstacles on most holes. Many of the holes play up and down a moderate degree of topography, and there are ravines that make up a couple fairways as well. Very very nice, and all the while beneath this huge canopy of trees.

The tees and baskets were well-maintained, and the fairways were mostly clear and uncluttered. All the grassy parts were well-kept and mowed. This course is obviously greatly loved by its benefactors, and I feel grateful for the opportunity to enjoy the fruit of their labor.

I'm not a pro by any means, but many of the holes were challenging enough and I was happy when I was making par (my first round was +1). There appeared to be a nice range of distances on the various holes, about in the range 250-500 ft. A couple were long enough to require long upshots for par (at least for me).
Cons: The railroad runs along one side of the park, and while we were playing a second round (we couldn't do just one!) a freight train was parked there along with all sorts of loud activity, machines, a huge diesel engine loping away on the engine, etc.. At first I thought this was kind of cool, but after a while I thought it could grow to become annoying.

I think it was around hole 7 or 8 that there is a weird jog in the course flow, where you have to cross several later holes to get to the next tee pad. But I'm not sure how I'd re-arrange this if I were in charge. Anyways, once you figure it out, its easy breezy.
Other Thoughts: I found myself eyeing the houses around the edge of the park, which is in a relatively poor neighborhood. This and a for-sale sign had me wondering how much it would cost to buy one, or whether a group purchase of a house in the neighborhood by a bunch of avid disc golfers might not be a bad idea. Kind of a disc golf time share, but informally organized. This kind of thing would not be affordable in Santa Cruz, where my favorite course-to-date can be found.

Great Park, but Where's the Pier?

5+    7/20/2009   8/26/2009
Review By: forehandfranz
This review was updated on 6/3/2014
Pros: The park plays through a cathedral of large firs and is a great hideout for both sunny and rainy days. The layout is challenging, enjoyable and can cater to many skill levels. The elevation plays into well over half the holes though it isn't too steep and gruelling. Discs are easily found on the ground as there is rather thin underbrush. Accuracy is the key with a mix of lengths to make you happy.

This course is a marvel as you navigate through the big trees - some of the biggest I've seen on a course. They truly shape the fairways.
Cons: Navigation can be a little confusing - they do have some "next tee" arrows high up in the trees to help out, but a map may be better for the first time.

Garbage (beer cans and bottles) - despite there being numerous trash cans in the park, we found numerous cans and bottles on nearly every hole. Needless to say, I can't stand the scum who litter. This is not the fault of the park or disc club, just a rant against people who have room to pack it in, but no room to pack it out.
Other Thoughts: There is a really nice guy who is now selling discs and grilling food next to Tee #1. Please give him your business, as concessions at disc golf courses is truly a rarity and a privilege!