Portland, OR
Pier Park Share
Uploaded By: didy22 Hole #16 (Taken 7/2009)
Hole #16 Tee: Top of basket just visible behind hill.

1    12/1/2012   12/1/2012
Review By: Ranger Rick
Pros: Great signage
Concrete tee pads
Winter/summer layout
Every hole was different and required a different shot
Tree coverage was nice and made for added challenge
Cons: Busy, even very early, just after dawn
Some directions were confusing for 1st timers
Other Thoughts: Great overall experience!
My favorite hole was 18 with the huge drop off
Definitely one of the best I've played!

Love this course

1    11/14/2012   11/14/2012
Review By: hukdiscs
Pros: It is fun, challenging, and has great flow
Concrete Tee Pads and Nice Signs
Very hard to lose a disc
Clean, well maintained, and quiet
Good Baskets
Markers to keep you on the right track
Good hole variation and elevation change
Cons: Multi use park with walking paths
18th doesn't end near parking
Other Thoughts: Great atmosphere, felt like I was playing in a tranquil disc golf oasis in the middle of a very industrial area. The trees are very impressive too. I would give it a 5/5 but don't feel I've played enough courses nationwide to compare to yet.

New favorite? Probably.

1    10/6/2012   10/12/2012
Review By: kaiser flippin
Pros: Absolutely gorgeous. It may be 90 degrees out, but you'll be playing in the shade all day here. Great mix of left, right, short, long, roller, you name it. The ground is great for disc, I never felt worried about losing one. I may have been lucky, but I ran into a couple laid back, very cool locals who were happy to show me around.
Cons: Can be crowded.
Other Thoughts: I normally don't like playing through a lot of trees, but the branches here start at like 100 feet. Challenging, especially #15, but not distracting.

Great Course

1    9/19/2012   9/25/2012
Review By: SKizzUMATIK
This review was updated on 10/24/2013
Pros: Fairly easy layout to follow, well tended, decent variety, beautiful landscape, great course
Cons: Can't really think of any... Except maybe the baseball/soccer field adjacent to holes 1 and 2 could probably cause some issues during those seasons
Other Thoughts: This course is a great example of what other courses should strive to be. Even a good chunk of the tee pads have the hole number in metal sunken into the concrete. Classy stuff.

PS: Thanks for hating on this review folks.

2-4    8/29/2012   8/30/2012
Review By: MCW5379
Pros: Loved the tee signage! All courses can learn from these signs. Great use of the natural ups, downs, and side hill-lies of the land. Which forces you to have many a shot in your bag. Like courses with multiple basket placements.
Cons: Would have liked the baskets to have some type of mark to help guide you to the next tee pad. Most were easily spotted and/or close enough to find. But a couple were more difficult. But thats really a minor flaw, for first timers.
Other Thoughts: 17 & 18 seem to be the same hole. Kinda sad after playing thru with all the different hole layouts to end with 2 holes that are the same. Possible idea- make 18 hole 17 and run 18 up the access road to the top of the hill near tee 3. A totally different type of hole.This also would also make the long walk back to the parking lot shorter.

Park Course

1    8/10/2012   8/12/2012
Review By: huckit541
Pros: Free
Close Parking
Layout is challenging
Multiple pin placement with good baskets
Concrete tees
Well maintained
Cons: Hard to find some tees.
#18 finishes no where near where you parked.
Busy Busy Busy Busy
Other Thoughts: Get here early or stand in line the entire round. A great course overall but has a few irritations.

Best inside of PDX proper

5+    7/22/2012   8/3/2012
Review By: nadaladadotnet
Pros: - Well maintained
- Always entertaining
- Always a challenge
- Hot Dog / Sausage dude in summer
- Regular pro visitors (selling discs)
- Amazing trees
Cons: - Crowds
- More crowds
Other Thoughts: I've played this course more times than I can remember or count and the best compliment I can bestow upon the course is that every time I play it, it provides a challenge.

The variety of the holes (distance, orientation, throw options) never cease to bore me. When I decide that I am getting bored is when I throw something I know I shouldn't. And when that happens, the course can throw you for a double bogey. Fast. I love the 6th hole so much. I always look forward to throwing there and it always gives me a thrill.

My friends and I have started to show up early on weekends and have found that doing so weeds out the larger groups and the crowds in general. If you can avoid the crowd, you can move through the course relatively quick and get a very satisfying game out of it. I wish we had more courses like this inside of PDX but since this is it, I take advantage of it.

Love the new tee markers too. Well done and well maintained too.

Portland's Peerless Pier Park

5+    5/21/2011   11/28/2011
Review By: Matt B.
Pros:
-Good teepads
-Multiple pin locations
-Good signage
-Location, location, location
-Good mix of left, right, up, down
-Good mix of long and short
-Beautiful park setting with cathedral tree vibe
-Well-maintained
-Sausage Guy!
Cons:
-Often overcrowded
-Street parking
-Nasty bathroom
Pier Park is peerless in Portland in that this is the only course within the actual City limits. It's also peerless in Oregon for a City Park setting featuring the kind of majestic trees you'll normally only find on Pacific northwest courses in the woods. This course is manicured like a City Park but gives you a classic Pacific northwest forest feel under the trees. In the space of several holes you can go from feeling like you are alone in the woods to facing a stark reminder that you are smack dab in an urban/industrial area with a busy road, train tracks, and dense housing in the surrounding area.

The course is very well designed to take advantage of the ups, downs and side slopes of the hills in the park as well as the many trees. There are lots of different lines and shots on this course from short downhill left-to-right to blind uphill right-to-left to straight down a narrow fairway lined with soaring conifers. You need distance as well as accuracy to score really well at Pier, but even a just okay player can have a lot of fun and shoot in the vicinity of par. It is a fun, fair course that rewards accuracy as you negotiate the trees, but doesn't punish you with dense underbrush for errant shots.

Pier Park is basically everything you want in a City Park disc golf course, and that means it's what everyone else wants too, which is really the only drawback to Pier. It can be very hard to get through a round at Pier without having to play through or wait for large groups of casual golfers. I try to hit it up early in the morning when I am in Portland and have left mid-round more than once when I have had enough golf to be satisfied and lost my patience to wait for or desire to hurry through slow groups. That's a testament to the fun and challenge of the course overall, but does make for a Con in the overall experience of playing there. But it doesn't stop me and it shouldn't stop you. When in Portland, you should play Pier Park!

An absolute gem in the Northwest

1    9/20/2011   9/22/2011
Review By: b-mart
Pros: Where to start? The beauty of the park would earn this course at least a one disc rating even if it had one pin and two teepads. Luckily for us, there are 18 teepads, most (if not all) of which have multiple pin placements. The final 16 holes play through an old growth pine forest, and 1 and 2 play across a field with guarded pin placements from the tee. The variation in holes is perfect. There are uphill and downhill shots, right and left turning ones, and there's a good variation in distance as well. It's worth the drive to Pier Park for hole 15 alone. There is minimal undergrowth, so losing a disc should be impossible... Although it clearly isn't, because I found one and they don't have a lockbox there for nothing. Also, it's free to play, but there's a donation box there for park upkeep that I highly recommend adding to.
Cons: Although this isn't a con for me, I at least have to point out that there are no holes that let you air it out. Holes 1 and 15 seem to be the longest, but they're both heavily guarded by trees (especially 15).

The locals that I ran into were rather standoffish, but a few of them were friendly enough that I can't really judge the park based on a select few. I did have to give up on my second round after being stuck behind two groups for a roughly 5 minute wait on each tee (with another group waiting behind me). We also were thrown on on hole 3 after being told that we could play through.

Although there is ample signage on the teepad (which is extremely helpful), the navigation can get confusing if you're here for the first time. A few wood numbers have been nailed to the trees, but I didn't notice those until about hole 15, so they aren't that noticeable.
Other Thoughts: Definitely worth a stop if you're in the Portland area. I hear that it gets very crowded in the summer and muddy in the winter, but it's just too gorgeous to pass up. I would liken it to a longer NAD Park or Lake Stevens. The locals are lucky to have this course and should work hard to keep it as nice as it was when I was there. If you aren't going to give a donation, the least you can do is pick up some of the (minimal amount of) trash that you find in your round.

Also: If you get distracted easily by sudden noises that ruin your shot, you might have trouble here. The trainyards nearby sounded roughly like a WWII bombing at times. It didn't seem to bother anyone's game, but I could see it being an issue if you were totally focused on that birdie putt and expected total silence.

Speaking of putts: The practice basket placement is one of the best that I've seen. You get your standard flat shots from as far out as you need, but can also throw uphill or even from down on the baseball diamond to work on many different types of shot placement.

All in all, this course is a winner and was the best that I played in the Portland area. I recommend it as your first stop, especially if you don't have time to drive out to Horning's Hideout.

Perfectly Wooded

2-4    8/17/2011   8/20/2011
Review By: TheHoaginator1020
Pros: Huge trees protect this haven of a course from all the harsh wind that punishes Oregon daily, while still leaving it open enough to make your disc easy to find. The first time I played I remember remarking on how gorgeous it is just to walk through, and that is probably why it gets so much traffic.
Beautiful and simple signs give you a good idea where the baskets are, so those blind holes aren't too difficult to figure out. Lots of good variences between left and right shots within the set up, as well as some major elevation changes.
Also the devision between difficulty within the 18 hole course is very even, making all holes easily pared with a 3. The lay out is very stretched out so you don't come in contact with too many people on other holes, though a couple teeboxes coincide with each other so you still get to meet up with lots of the other players.
Sometimes if your lucky, there's a concession stand that sets up with discs for those of you starting out, and snacks if you forgot to stop by the store. I've only seen them out there once, but it was a nice surprise seeing as how I had forgotten the drinks.
Lots of placing to sit down and take a break and enjoy the scenery.
Safe location within the city limits, near a residential area, and fairly close to the free way.
Beginner friendly, as well as a challenge for more seasoned players.

Cons: Uhhh..... lets see.... there was a lot of trash out there, although it wasn't after I passed. I make it habit to contribute to the courses as much as I can so everytime I come by something unnatural to the area, I add it to the bag.
Lots of traffic, but really for a leasurely day of disc golf, when has that ever been a problem? Everyone was very courteous as well, I didn't have to request to play through once.
Yep.... don't have much else to say.
Other Thoughts: Not yet have I ventured to all the courses that Portland has to offer, but so far this is at the top of the list. It's well maintained, offers all the essentials for a long day outside, and it gives you a good idea of what disc golf is all about. This is definitely a course that needs to be on your list if your passing through or you live in the surrounding area. You won't be disappointed.