Portland, OR
Pier Park Share
Uploaded By: didy22 Hole #15 (Taken 7/2009)
Hole #15 Tee: Cathedral of the Disc King. Find the dreamcatcher, 60' up!

Love at first sight!!!

5+    6/18/2009   6/20/2009
Review By: justint97
This review was updated on 10/10/2009
Pros: Very well kept.
Beautiful setting.
Great Flow
Plenty of Distance but no too much to scare off novices.(which i was when i played)
Challenging. (How else are you going to get better?)
Sausage Guy bye hole 1 that also happens to sell discs.(I highly recomend the cajun w/ sauteed onions)

Bathrooms and water
Cons: If it's your first time, i suggest printing the map on this site or find a local to guide you.
Other Thoughts: I've only been playing 7 months but am addicted and fortunate enough to get to travel with work and play many courses all over the country. Pier is still in my top 3 after playing over 35 courses. It is a must play. I cant wait to go back.

5+    2/7/2009   6/18/2009
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 4/4/2011
Pros: Probably one of the best courses in the state and maybe the nation, Pier park is a beautiful course with everything you would want in a disc golfing experience. My first impressions were good as there was someone selling discs and hot dogs on hole number one, not sure if this is a regular deal but that was fantastic, he also had bug spray! Good amount of length to this course but don't let that fool you, this is an extremely technical course with many trees, doglegs, elevation, and tight fairways. The 200 foot trees are amazing and there are a lot of them. No underbrush which is rare in a northwest course.

*****UPDATE*****

New tee signs went in provided by The Stumptown Disc Golf Club.
Cons: Biggest con would signage or lack thereof; it is incredibly difficult to find your way around if you do not have a map or a guide.
Other Thoughts: The other reviewers speak of crowds and navigation problems, I'm not sure you can have both, if there are a lot of people then you can follow the next group or ask one of the many locals. I drove from Everett, WA to meet a buddy who is working down there, it took me three and half hours each way but it was totally worth it.

Perfect

1    6/5/2009   6/6/2009
Review By: RedSoxRob
Pros: Great holes, good distance and good number of obstacles.
Cons: Like previous posts, you NEED THE MAP. Even with the map its a little tricky - but it at least helps.
Other Thoughts: Can be some traffic going into this part of Portland. There's only one road that gets up the course and it can get crowded.

Not Impressed

1    5/30/2009   6/1/2009
Review By: RallySoob
Pros: Great baskets, open areas, very clean, mowed. Elevation shots are fun. beautiful scenery. Theres a private disc/accesorie vendor out there most of the time selling bins of discs at good prices.
Cons: My only one complaint is that there are no signs at each hole desribing the layout and basket location of each hole. especially when you get back into the wooded area it gets really confusing. we had to ask for help to the next hole a couple times because we would go the wrong way to the next hole. Someone needs to spend some $ on some signs to make this already fantastic course a perfect course....
Other Thoughts: I wonder if we could setup a Golf Disc fundraiser to fund the project of gettting each hole on this course a hole description sign?

5+    5/23/2009   5/26/2009
Review By: runnaman
This review was updated on 6/2/2010
Pros: - The amount of trees were used well to require players to carefully choose how and where they are going to throw.

- Also, the trees provided a lot of shade which is really nice during these hot Spring/Summer days.

- The hole lengths were great, not to long (so they're good for beginners) but not so short to the point where advanced players have no fun.

- Doesn't give an advantage to right handers or left handers. I like this because it requires me to work on my forearm and my anhyzer shots.
Cons: - Some added signage could add a lot to this course. I was lucky enough to play the course with someone who had played it before but I can imagine I would've got lost a couple times if I didn't.

- Along with the signage, some of the baskets are not visable from the tee so a map at the holes would be good too.
Other Thoughts: A great course with a lot of holes that require a lot of different shots: long hyzers, anhyzers, straight shots through trees, low, high. It really is a great course for any type of player, whether it's a RHFH, a RHBH, a LHBH, or a LHFH.

Is this Heaven?

1    5/14/2009   5/21/2009
Review By: Big Bob
Pros: This is the Gem of Northwest!
Lots of oppurtunity for big arms
who are going to have to work on thier up game!
Nice layout find a map or a local!
Did I mention trees?
Lots of trees...narrow fairways!
Cons: Did I mention the trees?
Other Thoughts: Nicest course I've ever sat foot on....
Heaven for disc golfers....
Disc vendor by hole 1

So close to the ultimate.

1    4/6/2009   4/8/2009
Review By: kinfolkfan
Pros: As I played I kept thinking that this must be disc golf heaven... It wasn't, but darn close. There are a varietey of hole designs. Hilly holes, flat holes, long holes and short holes. It is set in a beautiful Portland park and has giant trees on every hole. All the pros had a 5 sealed, but a few non-disc golf related items made it lose that .5 it needed.
Cons: On arrival we had to wait for the first tee which may not be a con but unusual to me. There continued to be a person or more on every tee of the course at 1:00 on a Monday. It is a busy course. To my knowledge there were no bathrooms. We saw what looked like a drug deal, actually it happened on the fairway on 16 and they would not move there business else where so we had to skip that hole. Nothing against drugs just don't block my drive. The holes were almost challenging to navigate, but busy enough you should not have a problem.
Other Thoughts: With some signs or maps and a bathroom this could be a 5 out of 5! Another Oregon gem!

Portland, OR Pier Park

1    1/30/2009   2/1/2009
Review By: topdawgy58
Pros: Nice cement tee pads. I really long course with Par 3. Lots of trees.
lots of Blind shots. Easy to find.
Cons: Long holes for a Par 3. Half the holes are closed until March. Really crowded. Long walks to the next hole. Need tee signs with picture of hole.

The Beauty of Portland

2-4    7/14/2008   1/25/2009
Review By: JR Stengele
This review was updated on 11/28/2011
Pros:
Where to begin...Pier Park DGC is located in a beautiful multi purpose park surrounded by 200 foot Douglas Firs. As you enter the course there is a skate park, soccer field, ball field, and warm up basket. Towards the inner part of the park a basketball court, fountain (where the kiddos play in the summer), restrooms, water fountain and tennis courts.

On the course Pier Park provides Mach 2 baskets which were in great shape, multiple pin placements, and tee pads that were a mix of concrete and fly pads that seemed to provide good footing (even though it was summer so it might differ in the winter/spring).

The general course design was exceptional, with great flow, defined fairways (which were a mix of very tight to fairly wide open), and plenty elevation changes which made it quite challenging at times. Foliage and maintenance was apparent, with no underbrush, and only a few areas towards the last two holes with brambles (but with accuracy, easily avoidable). Trees were trimmed accordingly, and appeared to be cut regularly. Along the way benches and trash bins were present and at the time were in good condition and emptied regularly.

Pier Park DGC was truely unique experience for many reasons, but the mix of tight technical and open bomb holes which catered to both left and right handed players and the scenic beauty sold me. This course had a variety of hole distances and required a lot of shots. Camping was easily accessible (Milo McIver in Estacada 20 minutes away for about $17/night).
Cons:
This course truely was one of the better courses I have ever played putting it easily in my top 20 thus far. However, during the rainy season I could see those fly pads being a bit slippery. Also, the walk back from hole 18 to hole 1 (parking lot) was a bit of a walk (but considering it was Pier Park, it was well worth it).
In playing this course there were two holes that truely made this course epic. Hole #6 provided a wonderful elevation drop and a righty could throw the perfect hyzer which would head towards the pin which was heavily guarded. As the sun came through those massive Douglas Firs it was as if a halo was surrounding the basket. It was truely magical. Second was Hole #15 which was deffinately a hole which required pure skill (for the pros) or a whole lot of luck (for the rest of us) as you had to shoot about 250 feet straight down the fairway with pin point accuracy at the basket, between massive trees about 10-15 feet apart creating a long and tight tunnel. If you happened to hit a tree along the way and it spit off outside of the fairway, there was a good chance you might not make par. I felt it was by far the most difficult hole on the course with a high risk/reward.

Portland truely is an amazing place, with a great atmosphere, amazing food, and incredible disc golfers/courses. I recommend this course to anyone who passes through and if you can make a weekend of it I would also head east towards Milo McIver which is as good if not better depending on your game.

Great course

2-4    10/5/2008   1/11/2009
Review By: rkopald
Pros: Incredible variety of terrain. Just a really fun course to play. mostly very friendly regulars. Lots of tight holes, long holes, and tunnels. This course seems to reward accuracy. Wish I had some! I love Pier Park and don't play it nearly enough.
Cons: Gets very crowded. The usual sketchy types that seem to be on every course I play can ocassionally be stinking up this course too. Best played early.
Other Thoughts: I'm blathering a little bit, but I think this is a great course. It's probably a bit much for people just getitng into the sport, but if you're an intermediate or advanced player(which I am most definitely not), this is a course you'll keep thinking about.