Bettendorf, IA
Middle Park DGC Share
4 / 646ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #9

Nothing middle of the road about it

1    6/13/2009   7/28/2009
Review By: scarpfish
Pros: Extremely challenging. A wonderful mix of park golf and woods golf with some formidable water hazards including a sick shot over a tree lined creek on Hole 10 where you have to find a window to get across. Tremendous variations in hole length including a hole which is 1002' in the longest setting (although I don't think it was set there during my visit), and little sub 200' on #13 with a tricky placement. Cool day glo orange DGA baskets provided for easy sight on often long or darkened fairways. I particularly enjoyed the wooded and technical shots on the back nine. I heard a lot of hype about Middle and it didn't dissapoint me.
Cons: Definitely not a course for rec players as at over 6800' in the shortest configuration and plenty of places for your disc to get lost, it is definitely going to be a long round if you can't throw over 250' or throw straight. A set of shorter tees would really broaden the appeal here. I do wish on Hole 10 they'd build a footbridge to shorten the walk to the other side of the creek. You'll need to use the street bridge to the east of the fairway (and come back on that same bridge from 17 to 18). Also there's a lot of non-DG activity going on in this park and its not ususual to have these folks in your line of fire on the front nine.
Other Thoughts: Two baskets were missing when I played here. I won't consider that a con because its not something the local club can do much about until they can afford replacements. I do kind of wish I could have played these holes although there was a large group of kids playing (on a Friday morning!) on what would have been Hole 6, so I may have had to skip that hole anyways. For as big as this course is, the DG infrastructure is so unimposing that you (or particularly a non DG'er) might not realize there's a course here if you weren't looking for it, watch out for pedestrians and bikers. My main regret was that I was in a hurry to play Middle before heading west to IC, and wish I could have gotten in another round to study it better. Guess I'll need another trip to the QC sometime. A must play!

Best course thus far

1    7/20/2009   7/22/2009
Review By: bygwyllay
Pros: Holy crap this course is the best course I have ever had the pleasure of playing on. Hole 1 has you staring down a massive ravine with your target on the far hill. Hole 2 has you careening downhill before ending back up on a small ridge in which the basket is placed. Hole 3 is almost straight downhill with a marsh hazard lying in front of your target. Holes 4 and 5 follow a small stream and provide a few trees as obstacles. Hole 6 is played under an awesome canopy of trees by a small playground. Hole 7 is similar, and holes 8 and 9 are massively long, topping out at over 1000 feet. The back nine is even more amazing. Hole 10 shoots across a river and has you cross over a bridge to get to the pin, 11 has you fly through a tight opening and into a big field, ending with the basket nestled against the woods (another long hole). Holes 12 through 14 play through the woods where technique overrides power and finesse is absolutely necessary. 15 is a grand sledding hill that provides awesome air for your discs, ending by a baseball field. 16 takes you back into the woods, shooting downhill, with some downed trees in your way. 17 is another awesome shot over water with a breaktaking view, leading you back into the big field of hole 11. 18 has you cross back over the bridge and is a very quaint way to end this phenomenal round. Words cannot describe the greatness. You have to play it for yourself.
Cons: The only thing that is keeping this from a 5 rating is the layout of the front nine. This course has you double back several times and cross over a couple holes to get from 6 to 7. Also the creek by 4 and 5 was rather nasty. But these are petty things looking back.
Other Thoughts: The most variety I have every seen on a single course. This takes Cass Benton and raises the bar phenomenally. I will be hard pressed to find a course that tops this one. It was so challenging without breaking your spirit. Not for beginners I guess but I took two beginners and they loved it. YOU MUST PLAY THIS COURSE BEFORE YOU DIE!! I have tears in my eyes. Thank you.

My Favorite Quad City Course

4/13/2008   4/14/2008
Review By: MoPhunk
Pros: Very challenging course with some nice long holes. Course starts off as a grip and rip but turns into a tight and finesse course on the back nine. Very good layout and a variance of holes.
Cons: You have to do a little bit of walking between a couple of holes.
Other Thoughts: By far my favorite course to play in the Quad Cities.