Course Extinct
Pine, CO
Magic Meadows DGC Share
Uploaded By: Leroy Hole #10 (Taken 8/2012)
3 / 222ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Truly Magic Meadows

5+    5/4/2013   5/9/2013
Review By: evanmanee
This review was updated on 5/20/2013
Pros: -Privacy, you play this course with just your friends and no one else.
-Incredible layout, natural beauty, technical and accuracy driven, fun and clever holes.
-Low scores can be had one second, and then huge numbers can be had another.
-The thought, time, attention to detail, signage, are impressive.
-You feel super lucky just to be on land this beautiful, but then a really magical disc golf course is there to be played as well.
Cons: -Rude and loud disc golfers have made this course problematic for the neighbors so if you are going to play you must have a reservation and be respectful and relatively quiet. Not really a CON, just sad I would even have to write this.
Other Thoughts: This course is super close to the world class and highly rated Phantom Falls course and run by the same man. Do yourself a favor and get your buddies up here to play both courses. They are insanely awesome.

Amazing!

5+    5/8/2013   5/8/2013
Review By: jabuofr
Pros: Its one of those courses where a review does not do justice to how special it really is. I have played this course a number of times and it only seems to get better with each round.
Cons: Not having more time to play it.
Other Thoughts: Go play it!

My second love...

1    7/15/2012   1/29/2013
Review By: Dirty D
Pros: I Played this course back in July with a few friends on a DG trip from Texas. It was the second course we played on the 2nd day it was open and I fell in love with it. Driving in youll notice the driving range and 9hole putting course. The course is beautiful and well designed. I liked the chair location on the first holes. There's alot of hiking involved but not too much. Tons of signs and arrows so you wont get lost. Loved the hanging baskets and the hole with the basket wedged between the trees. Hole #15 was my fav. We kinda had the course to ourselves. Didn't run to anyone until after we were done. After our round we walked back to the covered lounge area and enjoyed some burgers and dogs. Definitely will be better once the other 2 courses are opened up. Cant wait to go back!
Cons: None - Need more oxygen cans!!

Amazing beautiful course

2-4    8/7/2000   8/27/2012
Review By: b-leaf-in-the-disc
Pros: This course is something special, not to be missed. Varied basket placement with technical angles and tight fairways. Yet never get tired of the spectacular mountain views and quiet meadow feel of this course. Unique Rock outcroppings that are creatively used for tee boxes and tight basket placement. Love hole 15 where I dropped the crack between two boulders for tap in birdie. Loving the putting course to get warmed up, and the driving range is one of a kind. This seems to be the future of disc golf and the gold standard for all to strive for.
Cons: This Mountain Meadows disc golf "mecca" is still under some construction for the PRO course. Can't wait to play, loving what's been done so far, and anxious to see whats next.
Other Thoughts: Hopefully the community around the course will support this magical place and not shut it down. To lose this course would be a sad loss for those of us who have played but a real shame for those who haven't and want to. It deserves to be saved!

WOW

2-4    8/1/2012   8/19/2012
Review By: LDietz
Pros: Varied. I played discs that normally never come out of my bag. You have to be versatile here. You need right turns, left turns, straight shots, and a few overheads would also be helpful. This course demands accuracy and touch. An errant shot can turn a 2 into a 5. I'm not a real good player put can keep close to some great players by being careful and smart.
Cons: None.
Other Thoughts: I've played this course 4 times. Every time I like it better. If you don't like hiking then this is not the course for you. If you like to show off your long arm then this is not the course for you. Maybe the advanced course will be. But if you are an intermediate player (this is the intermediate course) and a good throw is 200 ft. then this course is a blast. You can still make pars and birdies.

Best course I've played

5+    8/18/2012   8/19/2012
Review By: Eric123
This review was updated on 7/14/2013
Pros: Great layout, awesome basket placements, family friendly. Has something for everyone begginer to pro. Had a ace on hole 14 first time playing. Great views from every hole. Fairways are tight and challenging.

AWESOME DG COURSE

5+    3/29/2013   8/16/2012
Review By: paulrothley@msn.com
This review was updated on 11/5/2013
Pros: I am one of the 2 designers. We have put together one of the best intermediate DG courses around. Lots of shot voriety, distance is med with lots of risk and reward. The pin placements are amazing and fun, signage for navagation is foolproof, and the property is the best part. Magic Meadows is on an awesome piece of Colorado land with rock out-croppings, flowing meadows, aspen groves, and incredable views. This is one amazing DG course.

We believe the future of our sport is kids, women, and beginners, and many of the new DG courses going in seem to be catering to the pro's, (insanely long and hard). Magic Meadows is a very well designed intermediate DG course that has mucho fun factor. This course is challenging to even the highest rated player, and very fun and "playable" to those who don't consider themselves to be pro's.
Cons: Neighbors - Haters gunna hate??
Other Thoughts: You must have a small group of 4 to 9 players to make an exclusive tee time to play this course. You will have the place to yourself for the day.

Superb!

1    8/5/2012   8/11/2012
Review By: DRod
This review was updated on 8/21/2012
Pros: -Beautiful Views
-Creative Design and basket placement
-Challenging Intermediate course
-9 hole putt course at club house
-Driving Range
-Club house with everything you need to relax after or between round
Cons: None
Other Thoughts: The guys did a great job designing this course. When you get back to the club house take some time to stick around and shoot the breeze with Pauly and Rudy. You'll see and hear the passion that has went into this course.

I threw every shot out of my bag and really enjoyed this course. The basket placements are neat and fun. This is well worth the drive and a must play course if you're in Colorado.

Excellent work Gentlemen!

Great Potential

1    7/14/2012   8/10/2012
Review By: woolymarmot
Pros: Great use of terrain and elevation, extremely technical, great varied greens, good use of hanging baskets
Cons: Tee pads, somewhat lacking true distance, hole 6
Other Thoughts: Highlights:
10 Dead straight downhill ace run through beautiful aspen stand.
11 Tricky shot to pin placed in "cave" with punishing trees right and left.
12 Uphill with nice pin placement on flat rock outcrop. Requires a drive around or upshot over a massive boulder.
15 Best hole on the course. Blind pin placed between two huge rock outcroppings. Trees right force a shot to the left of the right to left sloping fairway. Openings left give poor shots plenty of opportunity to travel down the mountain.

This course truly puts a premium on accuracy due to its cleverly placed pins positions, which are some of the most creative I have seen, finding the best available nooks within landscape From my experience, it seems like many designers who try to be creative opt for artificial mounds or hanging baskets. While I have no problem with these when used within reason, too often they go overboard. The designers here have incorporated some of these ideas, but with excellent restraint.

The thrill of playing here (and Phantom) comes from risk/reward. Ace or birdie runs are there on most holes, but a small mistake can easily turn a "most deuce" into a +2. Only hole 6 fails in this aspect. Very little risk on a blind, bland shot.

Great risk/reward can sacrifice true distance shots. This is the case here, but it is mitigated by uphill shots which play much longer than listed. I wish it had one or two holes which really upped the ante, but the design has clearly emphasized technique over distance and I have no major complaints about this choice.

The only major complaint I have from my experience at Magic Meadows were the tee pads. Well-cared for natural pads, like those found here, do not usually represent a con for me, however many of the pads at Meadows were extremely short. This made a run-up on most uphill shots impossible, which made a huge difference on a course this technical. Admittedly, I played the course on its opening day and the designers plan on fixing this issue with time.

While a ton of fun, Magic Meadows did not blow me away like my favorite courses. I still cannot wait to visit again and anticipate the course having a little more polish, forcing me to update this review.

Definite Magic

1    8/7/2012   8/8/2012
Review By: Leroy
Pros: I found Magic Meadows to be a very unique disc golf experience. This is a tight technical course that goes up and down the side of a hill. The holes aren't very long but getting a par is still a challenge due to the large amount of trees on the property. That being said the fairways are tight but not too tight as they cut through Aspen groves, Pine trees and rock formations. I found I needed to throw hyzer, anhyzer, forehand, backhand, tomahawk, ricochet and any other trick I had which made it a fun challenge. There are several holes that drop down quite steep which is always fun to throw. A few others that climb up steep which will humble you quick. Several of the holes have the basket placed among rock formations. At first I thought these shots would be too difficult and frustrating, but the course design is very good and these shots are actually makeable. Each hole has chairs for you to wait at if needed and they are from all sorts of time periods making a round at Magic Meadows feel like a mini chair museum. They provide water at a couple of strategic places which I really appreciated. A clipboard with scorecard and tip sheet is provided to help first time players navigate. There's a pro shop in a kooky old travel trailer which was neat. A nine hole putting warm up course that includes a game you can play if you want. A driving range where you can throw your discs or rent a bucket of discs and the staff picks them up. To top it off I even saw a horseshoe pit.
Cons: I had to wait 5 minutes for a deer to get out of fairway #11 so I could throw. (I'm kidding about this being a con. It was a peaceful amazing thing to experience).
Other Thoughts: I was skeptical at first about how good this course would be. But as my round progressed I just kept finding my self saying "Wow" over and over. Easily one of my top 5 courses. Normally I would say dirt tee pads are a con but being that this is a shorter, tight technical course you never really need a monster windup so the tee pads are just fine. If you are looking to throw long this is not the place for that, but the Baily course up the road will give your big arm a workout later in the day if you really need that fix. This would be a beautiful place for a hike with all the Aspen Groves and rock formations, but combined with disc golf it works for recreation on several levels. They seem to have planned this very well. I hope they can make a success of this and put in the other two courses they have planned.