Gainesville, FL
Northside Park Share
Uploaded By: Chain Hawks DGC Hole #15 (Taken 3/2013)

Solid

1    1/24/2014   1/30/2014
Review By: reposado
Pros: Solid course that may not thrill you but won't disappoint you either. There's a lot of water, and while there may not be any true carries, the canal is present on many holes. It's nice when it border one side of a fairway. It's even better when you have to cross it. Hole 5 is probably the best of the course, with the bridge over the canal. The water isn't so deep that you shouldn't be able to fish a disc out of it but it's a nice bridge that does impart that victorious feeling when you cross it, having successfully driven across it.
It's also a fairly easy play, suitable for quick rounds and players of all ability levels. There isn't much brush so the frustration factor will be low for beginners. The canals, which add difficulty for veterans, should have less affect for the new players, who likely won't throw far enough for them to be in play. Tees, baskets, navigation, everything here is pretty much solid.
Cons:
It does seem to be very swampy, and there was standing water approaching the fairways in January. I can imagine this place being very unfriendly in wetter months. The water in canals is good; getting soggy feet while walking on the fairway is unpleasant. There weren't many places where this was a danger. But from the lay of the land, I'm pretty sure it is a problem often.
The other issue is the interacting fairways. They are there. It's not close to the worst course I have seen before but there were multiple where I was walking down a fairway and thought, "whoa, I've been here before." The course maintains a nice use of limited space but it does create spaces that are in play on multiple holes.
But the main thing that keeps this course from being top-notch isn't what is there. It's what isn't. There aren't any signature holes. There aren't really any challenging holes. (really too open) There is no wow factor. There isn't much that will be remembered after you leave. And there isn't any elevation. It's solid, three-star golf that you will enjoy, but shouldn't go too far out of your way for.

Decent course

1    11/12/2012   11/14/2012
Review By: pimpski03
Pros: T pads were a good length with plenty of grip. There were trash cans or recycle bins at nearly every hole. course had plenty of shade for hot summer days. The biggest pro I can think of is, its a disc golf course!
Cons: The course seemed very congested compared to what i'm used to playing. This seemed like it should have been a 9 hole course, but they managed to squeeze another 9 holes in there making it 18. The baskets were extremely hard to see and a lot of the signs were broken on the next T pad which made you wonder if you were on the right fairway.
Other Thoughts: I drove 40 miles from NE florida to check out this course because it had pretty good reviews. I dont think I will be returning. If i were making a drive i would play ed austin, ronnie van zant or one of the many great places in ocala.

Northside Park

5+    12/10/2011   1/16/2012
Review By: debuck03
Pros: Great layout for an 18 hole course. Many open fairways and baskets. Course actual has some tee markers from old UF golf course.
Cons: No water fountains. Only one faucet to fill up water bottle from. The bathrooms are rough (prision style) no doors on stalls. Your probably better holding it or leaving and coming back. There are a couple of dark water ponds that disc tend to go into and are hard to find.

A Florida Classic

5+    6/17/2011   6/20/2011
Review By: denny ritner
Pros: Good tees, baskets, signs, benches, trash cans. Attractive park setting with some canopy for sun protection. Logical course flow that returns to the parking area after 9. Virtually no schule that makes it difficult to lose a disc.

The dual tees provide a fun challenge for all player skill levels. The long tees are right on for blue level players. There is a good variety of shot shapes and distances and several of the holes have multiple options that require some thought.

This is the site of Ken Climo's first pro victory, the home course for the founders of the Fabulous Florida Tour, and the place that the Gurthie brothers grew up playing disc golf. It's about 15 minutes off I-75, so I'd recommend you put it on your "must-play" list when visiting Florida.
Cons: The course can get very swampy following big rains.

Many of the holes crowd each other a bit too much. Pay attention to other players on the course as discs can get into other fairways and come into yours. The design could have been better in this regard as there is additional room around and within the course that could have been better used to provide a better safety buffer between holes.

The bathroom is one of the most disgusting places on earth, worse than county jail. Make sure you make a pit stop for #2 before getting to the course.
Other Thoughts: Don't be a dirty discer. Leave the course cleaner than the way you found it.

B for a Bit Boring for me

2-4    4/8/2004   4/18/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- C-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- C+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- C+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- C

Love it and hate it

5+    11/25/2008   11/25/2008
Review By: crouchingwombat
Pros: This course is very difficult but can be very rewarding when you actually get par or even better, get a birdie. After playing 50+ times I still feel challenged every time I go out. The holes are marked very well with little plaques and there are amateur pads that offer a whole new game.
Cons: Like I said in the Pros this course is hard. Every hole is a par 3 and some of they really shouldn't be. It's nice to actually go under par when you have an amazing day… not here. There are a few ponds and a creek that suck discs up but they can easily be avoided. Lastly, this park is becoming more and more popular. Most days you can easily get stuck behind a large group of idiots, especially Friday afternoons.