Gainesville, FL
Northside Park Share
Uploaded By: Chain Hawks DGC Hole #16 (Taken 3/2013)

5+    5/17/2010   6/17/2010
Review By: mattdabbs
Pros: This course has a lot going in its favor.
- The bathrooms and parking are right next to tee's #1 & #10. This is so helpful when courses are able to do this so it gives it the feel of a front and back nine where you can get to your car or the facilities at the half way point.
- This course isn't competing for space and so you rarely have to wait on other park users to throw.
- The course has few "gimmie" holes. Some appear easy or short but you still have to hit the right line to get your birdie.
- There are some holes that will challenge your arm, especially 16 & 18
- Water comes into play primarily on holes 7, 12, and 18. The little pond between 7 and 12 is roughly waist deep if you have to get in it but it will eat up your feet with some kind of nasty in there. There are also water snakes in there. I have never seen any gators on 18 but it sure looks like there could be some in that swamp at times.
- Variety of shot shapes and distances.
- Roller friendly
- The people are friendly as well. I have never seen a crowd there but I am sure it does at times due to limited number of courses in the area.
- Short tees are useful for those of lesser skill level and make the course significantly easier to play.
Cons: Very few cons for this course:
- No practice basket
- Signs need replaced. These things are old as dirt. They are part of the personality of this course but they really could use an update.
- The water is unpleasant if your disc goes in there. Just don't stay in there very long.
- Drives can be repetitive as so many are just straight ahead with no real dog legs.
Other Thoughts: This course is beginner and pro friendly depending on which tees you play. There is just enough canopy to provide shade on very hot and sunny days. That also provides plenty of trees as obstacles to make you really have to think about your shot. Throw in the hand full of longer holes that give you easier lines to the basket and this course provides plenty of fun regardless of your skill level.

fun in the shade

1    3/14/2010   3/14/2010
Review By: stimpsonhoek
Pros: Very nice layout. Some of the best tee markers i've seen, though a couple were missing. Even points out location of next tee, so make a mental note. Concrete tees are in good shape. The plethora of trees provide good obstructions and plenty of shade in the florida sun.
Cons: Conrete tees were a little short for my run-up, but only slipped off the edge a couple times. Had rained a few days prior so course was a bit swampy in some places, keep the weather in mind. Baskets are slightly hard to see sometimes. Hole 13 was the X on the tee sign, not the tee pic.
Other Thoughts: Fun course, and there's a couple others nearby so if you want a long day with many holes, hit them all. We went here first then finished at Barr, a 9 hole course that was empty. We were the first ones at northside and it quickly filled up. No issues with the crowd though. And remember to backtrack towards the bathrooms/parking lot for tee 3.

In the Ponds

5+    2/4/2010   2/21/2010
Review By: lakitu
Pros: This is a fun and challenging course. Its a great mix of longer and shorter holes. The drainage ditches and water areas and the road keep you in check. Its one of the very few courses in Gainesville and its a good one. It has nice concrete t-pads and most of the markers are good.
Cons: Watch out for the water features! Wear your waders after a big rain storm. Also look out for loud, drunk herds of frat boys from time to time... just let the herd pass.
Other Thoughts: After hole 2, walk in the opposite direction of where you would think to go. The t-pad for 3 is towards the restroom.

5+    2/7/2010   2/7/2010
Review By: jeremytf
Pros: -Loved the variety of hole lengths - from over 500' down to ace opportunities.

-Variety of hole design requires a mix of different discs and throws, some open holes and some tight holes

-Challenging course, but includes short tees on most of the holes that would help beginners

-Plenty of tree obstacles to make the course interesting but not much underbrush, so I wasn't afraid to lose discs, except possibly in water

-Tee pads are rough concrete, so they are slip-resistant... although some of them are starting to crack a bit. It's not enough to affect your throw -- yet.

-The signage is very helpful and detailed
Cons: -A couple of the tee signs were missing

-Locating the baskets, especially on the longer holes, was sometimes difficult, even with the detailed signs. It didn't help that most of the baskets don't have legible numbers on them. There were several holes where I just trusted the sign and drove in the general direction of the basket. On hole 13, the sign wasn't very accurate (or possibly there are two pin locations?) so I didn't throw at the correct angle.... frustrating.

-The course is almost completely flat, which doesn't help with drainage:

-It had been a damp week and there was a lot of standing water on the course, although almost all shallow. I still had to get my feet wet and spent a lot of time wiping of my discs. Half the fairway on hole 16 was a lake, up to about a foot away from the tee pad.
Other Thoughts: I used to play this course regularly but that was about 8 years ago. Reading some of the other reviews, I was lucky to go fairly early in the day because it wasn't busy at all for me. I'm used to playing flat courses in Florida, and this one wasn't any different... if they could fix some of the signage problems, that would be the only "con" that actually makes the course less fun. Most of the rest of the items are amenities and don't affect how fun the course was.

B for a Bit Boring for me

2-4    4/8/2004   4/18/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- C-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- C+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- C+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- C

Great course

5+    3/27/2009   3/28/2009
Review By: clarke.bry
Pros: Great mix of long and short, right and left, open and heavily wooded holes. A few shots involve water which is a nice change of pace. Decent enough facilities. Amateur and Pro tees for different skill sets, yet the amateur tees play like a totally different course and are a nice change of pace.
Cons: A couple holes play within 200 ft of a major road which isn't great for ambiance but is not a safety hazard. All holes are a par 3, including #16 which is 500 ft + and severeal 400 ft + holes all of which are legitimate par 4's (conversely though, hitting par on many holes feels as good as a birdie!)

A pleasant surprise...

2-4    2/27/2009   2/27/2009
Review By: sidearmer
Pros: This course was designed by someone who appreciates the need for multiple shots. It works you, because you realize without a good shot...every shot, you'll not make par. Okay, this comes from a semi-old guy. But I still like the thought that went into its design.
Cons: Uh...low-lying water. Not much beyond that...really.
Other Thoughts: Gainesville needs another course...surely there must be some land out there.

Take on Gaine'svilles best course.

5+    1/19/2009   1/19/2009
Review By: cocopop
Pros: I have played this course probably a dozen times and every time I play it I tell myself, "This time I'm gonna tear it up!" and I have yet to tame this challenging course.

As you pull up to the course you will notice that the property is shared by people playing tennis, racquetball, disc golf, and picnicking families. The thing that makes this a plus is even with all of the other activities taking place in the property, the course itself doesn't overlap them and still has a nice flow from hole to hole.

Almost all holes are 300+ ft, with a couple topping 500ft. As you stare down the fairways, you notice that it really isn't that wooded. However, all of the trees and foliage seem to be strategically placed to challenge your creativity and shot making abilities. Those responsible for designing this course put a lot of thought into every hole and, I'm sure, smiled mischievously at the challenges that were coming up with on a few of them. Like, for instance, hole #18. This is the signature hole of the course. It plays around 425ft and forces the thrower to flirt with a disc eating pond that borders the right center part of the fairway. You could wuss it and lay-up, but then you are left with a 150-200ft approach shot through the trees.

The park is very clean and well maintained with facilities and a water fountain that border 5 or 6 holes, so a break from the action to answer natures calls is always within reach.
Cons: Cons are small in number and annoyance.

The land seems to be one big flood plain when it rains, so stay away if it has recently rained.

The course is popular with the U of F students, so prime times can be pretty crowded and many of the people you will encounter are beginners so the goings can be slow. To avoid this just hit it during the middle of the week.
Other Thoughts: As I had mentioned, hole # 18 is the signature hole here. However, my favorite hole is #10. It's a tricky 325ft anhyzer shot down a narrow fairway that has only 1 route.

I love this course and will play it at every opportunity I can.

Fun for all

5+    1/10/2009   1/13/2009
Review By: holmslice
Pros: Course is mostly wide open but still with a good canopy of trees. Two sets of tee pads provide distance that suits both the avid and casual player. Little chance of losing a disc, water only on three holes (if it is a dry season).
Cons: Course has a lot of switch backs and is often very crowded. This causes the course to play very slow most of the time. Next tee can be difficult to find if it is your first time (local guide is recommended).
Other Thoughts: Not a very technical course but each hole is different. Holes vary from long to short and moderately wooded to wide open. Good mixture of dog leg left and right. Park is clean, well maintained, and has adequate facilities.

Beginner Friendly, Awesome Course

1    1/9/2009   1/9/2009
This review was updated on 5/3/2009
Pros: Beginner friendly course, which I needed. Multiple tees ( I played the pros and I have only played 6 rounds in my life) I didn't do too terribly because it is open enough to have misthrows, but still challenging enough. Nice concrete tees, nice signage (especially liked the arrows on the tee signs telling you where the next tee will be when you get to the basket. Absolutely no overgrowth.
Cons: Tough to see the baskets at this park for some reason. I wish the tops were painted so you could see them from a distance.
Other Thoughts: Absoultely an all around great course, good for beginners, but still challenging with the placement of the baskets near trees. Nice use of the drainage ditches. Nice signage, nice tees. My favorite to date as I said and I will certainly come back every year when I drive to Fort Myers.