Topeka, KS
Lake Shawnee Share
Uploaded By: scarpfish Hole #13 (Taken 7/2009)
3 / 188ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Lake Shawnee - North Course

1    5/23/2014   5/23/2014
Review By: Jayhawker10
Pros: I was in the area for the day and had the afternoon off so I decided to check out the most highly rated course in town (per DGCR). Whether or not it is the best course is neither here, nor there. It is the only one I have played in Topeka though.

- Being that I am of novice/intermediate skill level, this course was a pretty good fit. I can only drive about 225 right now so making par was a fair challenge for my skill level.

- The back 9 in general was designed well for my style of play.

-Plenty of parking and I know there are bathrooms within a short drive.

- The baskets have big number signs on top of them making locating the baskets, for the most part, relatively easy. Of course, I could not locate 17 but determined it was buried in the woods through a process of elimination.

- Some of the nicer tee boxes I have played on. Long enough and make of concrete that has minimal cracks or issues.

- Plenty of benches if you need to sit to rest or if you are waiting on the group in front of you.
Cons: - The 18th...where do I start. I didn't even attempt to tee off from the box for fear of losing a disc in the water. Instead, I teed of from about 30 feet from the shoreline. I can see how higher skill level people would enjoy this hole.

- Holes 3 through 9 are somewhat repetitive as they zig-zag across a field with little elevation change.

-Some holes have markers that state their numbers, others do not.

- There are not multiple basket locations, as stated on here. And there are not multiple tee boxes for each hole either. I don't have a problem with this though.
Other Thoughts: DGCR states that there is a south course on the other side of the park road but I looked and did not see any baskets. I did not look hard but I could have missed them. I would not say that this is a must play but, in the case that it is the superior course in Topeka, it was worth the stop. I know people said this is close to a disc golf shop (LSDiscs). I would have stopped but my phone gave me the location as being a persons home so I skipped for today. Overall, I would recommend this course but would like to play the others in the area before going back.

Worth a trip

5+    9/10/2011   2/8/2012
Review By: Natedoog
Pros: easy to tell where you're going, Pin placement is good. LS Discs is pretty close if you lose something in the lake. aceable and birdieable holes.
Water holes give this place the challenge it needs

Cons: No signs to help you find it if you aren't around, also no signage by the tees to show distance or anything. except for the holes around the lake no real challenges. Dries out slowly
Other Thoughts: Great atmosphere, great place to practice, you can even take a swim at the end to cool off on a hot Kansas Day

tops in topeka

1    7/3/2010   7/10/2010
Review By: hogleggbob
Pros: very nice park, well maintained. nice teepads at every hole, easy to follow. water comes into play on a few of the last holes. good use of elevation. multple pin placements were available
Cons: was pretty windy when i played here, not really a con but more of a challenge.
Other Thoughts: the baskets were unique, some looked home made, this was definitly the better of the two 18 hole courses in topeka. there was a lot of un used land around the lake that was screaming to be used for an additional course.

Birdie course

5+    6/18/2009   6/19/2009
Review By: rlangton
Pros: Lake Shawnee is an enjoyable course with quite a few elevation changes and holes right at 200-300 ft. Birdie opportunities abound for players with a decent drive. Not a lot of obstacles but many holes are strategically placed next to or behind a tree or two.

The course is well maintained and mowed regularly. Hole 18 can be a memorable experience as you're shooting from a high tee across a cove of water with the hole on the other side. Can be played safe fairly easily though if you don't want to risk losing a disk, although the distance is very manageable for most people. Just enough to tempt a lot of drives into the water.
Cons: Baskets are old and worn. The course is also probably not challenging enough for very good players.
Other Thoughts: Nice wide open course, good for tweaking your game. Between Lake Shawnee, Crestview, and Rice in Topeka there is a good variety of disc golf to be had. I would suggest starting at Lake Shawnee.

Wide Open

5/21/2008   5/21/2008
Review By: aspentopeka
Pros: This course is a good course for a newer player that needs to work on throws without worrying about a ton of trees in the way. Many of the holes are pretty wide open. Couple holes on the back side play by the water, but still pretty open shots. Many birdies available on this course. All concrete tees and several alternate tees. Every hole has at least 3 placements. The grass gets cut quite often by the county so this course is always in great shape.
Cons: Not very technical. Not very long. Can teach bad habits if played every day.
Other Thoughts: Visit lsdiscs disc golf store while in the area as they are 1/4 mile from the course and have anything you need!