Sequim, WA
Robin Hill DGC Share
Uploaded By: sillybizz   (Taken 7/2012)

Deceptively Difficult

1    9/11/2013   9/16/2013
Review By: Dadio
Pros: This course in Sequim is laid out on a few acres next to a local church. I really expected this to be a typical park short 9 and was pleasantly surprised to find it a fairly challenging course.
The baskets, while homemade, were a good design and caught well. I had a couple I expected to spit out and didn't.
While it is a very flat course they make superb use of trees and mandos to make the holes challenging. There is rarely a straight run at the pin(9 being the exception, a narrow hole with OB on both sides and swamp to the side of the green!) so a hole that seems like an easy medium drive on paper turns into a tree filled nightmare.
Cons: Tees are a little short and rough. Is occasionally difficult to find next tee/pin as it is a tight course.
I liked the baskets but they are all taller than usual, took some getting used to.
Tee signs are minimal, more info would be nice to help navigation but course map is on kiosk by 1st tee.
Other Thoughts: I liked this course. Much more than I expected. Nicely challenging for a 9 hole and I can recommend this one if you are passing through.

Robin Hill DGC

2-4    7/26/2013   7/29/2013
Review By: eye-ball-sac
Pros: This course is located on church grounds just off of highway 101. The 9 holes play down and around the church property. The church appears to be very welcoming to all disc golfers wanting to play on their course. The course is scattered with some evergreen trees causing you to throw over most of the time if you're wanting a good line to the basket. This is a good contrast to some of the other courses in the area that force you to find a line through. Navigation is pretty easy. The course flows quite well with maybe one exception. There's a map right by the first tee which makes it easy to just snap a picture with a smartphone and look at it throughout the round. Tee signs are lacking, but quite easy to see surprisingly. Course design is what really surprised me here. I came thinking I was just going to play another church's 9 hole pitch and putt, but it was actually a challenge in some places. Trees are placed in just the right places to make you think, but not too many to make you feel like you were just firing at random. Greens had trees protecting them, but not overcrowding them. 8 of the holes were able to be birdied, but you really had to work at it. This course doesn't just hand out 2's to you like a lot of 9 holers.
Cons: Tee pads are not very good. They could be worse, but they could also be much much better. They're often put on small slopes which make it difficult to get a good solid drive on. Tee signs were also lacking not even providing the distance. The baskets are homemade and are quite tall. I didn't happen to have a spitout but I can see how it could easily happen. Hole 8 has a playground near it which could become a problem if kids are playing. It's right next to the highway which I guess you could consider a plus for it being easy to find, but I found the noise a bit annoying while playing.
Other Thoughts: This course really surprised me! It's a fun little course to play if you're in the area, but personally, I wouldn't really travel to this course. For the land that they had to work with, it was utilized very well. I'd definitely play this again if I was ever stopped in Sequim.

-------------------------
If you mark this review unhelpful or you find a mistake, please send me a personal message here on DGCR explaining what is wrong with it.

Nice walk in a church field

2-4    6/26/2013   3/19/2013
Review By: longandwrong
This review was updated on 6/26/2013
Pros: A nice 9 hole challenge. The baskets are visible from the tee pads but no easy throws to the baskets. (Except maybe #2) The OB's are understandable and reasonable. I believe Hole #6 is a par 4 and it should be. Thoroughly enjoyed the 2 times around the course. The church staff are pleasant and even told us how to use their bathrooms.
Cons: Sunday's are probably a day not to play (of course, I'm at church somewhere anyway.)
If you're a beginner and have a problem going to the left...All the out of bounds are trouble for you and Hwy 101 is involved in some of those OB's. Dirt pads at tees are muddy and not level (most Northwest courses are that way.)
Other Thoughts: If there are kids playing on the playground...that throw might be a challenge (hole #8). I liked holes 1,4,9 for technical throws. Recommend playing this course any time during the week. UPDATE: Some work is being done around course to give it a more park like look, however, no one is keeping the tee pads weeded or it looks like no one is using them. I still enjoy playing here and I can see some very good changes coming.

Home Of The Tall Thin Baskets!

1    10/5/2012   10/6/2012
Pros: The first thing you'll notice about Calvary Chapel's disc golf course is the large sign out on highway 101 reading "Public Disc Golf Course." Pretty welcoming, I'd say.

The course plays around the church in Sequim, up on highway 101 on the Olympic Peninsula. Sequim, in some kind of a geographic anomaly, sits in a sun belt on the rain forest, (heavy on the rain) part of Washington state. For some reason, known only to weather forecasters, Sequim recieves far less rainfall than the neighboring cities.
The church's property is a fairly tight fit between the highway and the property surrounding it giving the course tight out of bounds on most holes. The terrain is flat grassland with just enough scattered medium sized (20 feet tall) mostly pine trees to add to the difficulty. The course is long enough to be difficult with only # 2 playing under 275'. # 6 is listed as a Par 4 and plays an estimated 600'.

The pads are natural and a few are getting fairly rough and uneven. The signs are homemade and basic giving the hole # and par. I'd like to see the distance on them. The baskets are a pretty fair homemade copy of the real thing. They're made of all thinner guage materials. They stand a few inches taller and although they're double chained, they don't have the offical number of chains. I'm sure they'll spit a few putts out. They wouldn't stand up to the vandals in a public setting but here on church property, I think they'll be just fine. They also have the hole number cut out of the metal plate on the top.

The length along with the tight OB's make this course challenging. 1-7 play along the front (Highway) side of the church. Then # 8 plays along the back of the church and # 9 plays along the street right in front of the church and ends right at the # 1 teepad.

# 9 was my favorite hole. It's probable 275' but you're teeing off from a slightly elevated box. The basket sits just underneath a Weeping Willow tree with OB close on the left, a parking lot OB on the right and a wetland area right and front of the basket.
There's no room for error on your tee shot here.
Cons: The natural teepads are rough in places and will only get worse with more play. Replacing them with patio blocks would be great! The baskets are kind of strange looking. They're not vandal proof. I'm sure they won't catch as well as regular ones but.......I bet the church saved a few platefuls of offering coin by fabricating their own.
The course is pretty tough! I could play this course a lot and never par it. I know, I suck! But, what I'm saying is, This is no easy Pitch and Putt! But I wonder about the church youth groups or beginner types playing this course. It's really designed with their skill level in mind.
Other Thoughts: I don't know how much of a disc golf community there is up here on the peninsula. There is a course in Port Angeles, just a few miles up the highway, and one not so far down the highway south in Chimacum so maybe the sport is gaining in popularity up here too. I hope so.