Seattle, WA
Mineral Springs Park Share
Uploaded By: Adrenalinedan Hole #8 (Taken 9/2011)

It's fun, but...

1    6/19/2013   6/20/2013
Review By: Udon
Pros: * Short, technical shots require you to thoroughly think about what to throw and how to throw it.
* Good mix of left and right hand shots.
* Netting prevents errant discs from flying to far off or knocking someone out.
* An interesting back 9 for more advanced players.
* Convenient location for most Seattleites
Cons: * Very close quarters require lots of "FORE!" and head swiveling. I heard someone yell out fore about every couple of minutes.
* The netting seems oddly placed. There are areas that need it, and other areas that don't make sense to have it. There needs to be more netting alongside hole 5 between the course and the busy 4 lane road.
* The back nine is very confusing and requires prior knowledge/a guide to navigate.
* When it is crowded it almost becomes impossible to play certain holes.
* Wednesday doubles crowd doesn't seem to care about other people trying to play through.
Other Thoughts: This course would be a lot more fun if no one else was on the course. I arrived on a wednesday evening and the first basket was being used as a practice basket by about a dozen people. They signaled me to throw, but this is a mind game; I am not going to throw the same if there are people walking back and forth in front of the basket the whole time. After skipping the first two holes because of too many people in the way, I quickly learned how goofy this course really is. The huge metal poles seemed to be well placed, but the netting could have had much better placement. Hole 5 needs more netting to protect errant throws from going into busy traffic, and the netting on hole 7 made for a interesting lane, but actually helped errant throws instead of punishing them. One can roll a disc along the netting and get a jump off the last pole for great positioning. It is just silly, really. Combine that with the constant threat of errant discs, and it doesn't make for a smooth game. I would love to try this course out early in the morning when less people will be there, but I will not be eagerly returning to play this course anytime soon. Mineral Springs is really close to being a cool course, but any more than a few groups on it make it difficult to fully enjoy.

TONG!

5+    8/18/2012   8/28/2012
Review By: Phlick
Pros: -Proximity
-Plays Fast - if it's not crowded.
-Short but challenging
-Nice variety of shots for a 9 hole course
-Plenty 'O Parking
-Accuracy over power course.
Cons: - 40' high metal poles. EVERY.WHERE.
- No bathrooms + lots of beer drinking golfers + small park = bad smells.
-Attracts lots of rec players from UW - who may be more into drinking beer than playing golf..
-9 holes with multiple tee pads = double the traffic.
-Dense teepad/pin placement.
-Lacking in Hole description signs and next tee signs (esp for final 9) Can be VERY confusing without a guide.
-Did I mention the poles? They're everywhere, with nets between them a lot of the time.
-Little to No opportunity to air out/crush a drive.
Other Thoughts: Doubles is on Weds nights. Metal poles were installed a couple of years back in front of *many* of the trees to protect them. Now you hear 'TONG!' every couple of minutes as someone hits one. There are a couple of holes where you have to drive down a fairly narrow alley of netting to get to the basket, which is... 'different'.
Finding your way around the first 9 is not too hard, but after that.... you really need a guide to know which teepad/basket you should be heading for next. I played this course over 30 times (over 15 years, it's not my favorite) before finding out (playing doubles) that I was playing 3 or 4 holes completely wrong.
Good course if you are time constrained and centrally located, if you're not there are much better courses in the area.

flying discs in all directions!

2-4    7/11/2012   7/20/2012
Review By: chainedwraith
This review was updated on 7/25/2014
Pros: - Solid technical hole design for such a small property. The holes are diverse enough to require a decent shot selection and even after you double back and play from different pads it gives the hole a different look in most cases. You will even throw at different baskets from different pads sharing the same holes as the front 9.
- Nets are in place to keep people safe on other holes where necessary since the property is so small.
- Locals were friendly and seemed to be doing a good job maintaining the course. I didn't see any litter or loose debris anywhere.
- Can be played quickly, lunch-break style since property is so small.
Cons: - The holes are very close together, again, due to the overall size of the property. The nets help, but there are a few sections of the course in which it is hard to tell if the group in front is clear so communication (yelling "clear!!" or "fore!!") is a must here.
- This course gets crowded! This means lots of waiting on the teepad during peak times. That, combined with the close proximity of the holes to one another and it is apparently not uncommon for people to get tagged by a flying disc. (happened twice in the one day I was there). One of the locals joked to me that if you play this course enough, getting hit by a disc is practically a rite of passage.
Other Thoughts: Not my top choice in the Seattle area but if you've played all the others in the area, this one is still a good fun challenge. If you want to play when it's not crowded then weekday mornings might be your best bet.

Only the lonely

1    10/30/2011   10/30/2011
Review By: Cinque
Pros: Nope...

What? I can't just put that and have everyone give me a helpful vote?

Fine. I'll go into a bit more detail then.

North Park (Mineral Springs) disc golf course is situated on a four-acre triangle piece of wooded land and is complete with decent concrete tee pads, baskets, hand-drawn signs, slight elevation, metal poles and giant nets.

I've read and come to believe that the metal poles are there to not only add obstacles, but to help protect the trees of this old arboretum. The giant nets are in place to protect the cars along 105th St. and Northgate Way, but more importantly they help protect your noggin.

I appreciate what this course has to offer in regards to tight and creative lines, but North Park offers something else once a few groups arrive - mental unease. That's for the next section though.

Navigation of holes one through nine isn't too hard without a map just as long as you remember what the signs at each pad say. Mad kudos to whomever sketched the signs, because they helped me out immensely. The back nine is basically a replay of the front, but some of the tees are a few feet further back and others, although close, are in different locations entirely. Some holes like four and 13 have different baskets, but like the tees they are close by.

There's no doubt you'll enjoy yourself at North Park if you have some accuracy in your game. Recalling my experience, these fairways required straight mid-range shots with slow fades left and right, low skips to get around hanging branches, forehand rollers to cut corners, thumbers and tomahawks to get out of trouble, hyzers, anhyzers, prayers, wishes, crossed fingers and... I think that about covers it.

The people I saw were really nice and willing to help me with navigation and even pointed out a drop zone for a missed mandy shot.

There's plenty of parking, but if you ever see the parking packed full of automobiles displaying disc golf related stickers then you might want to go play somewhere else, or wear a helmet.
Cons: If North Park was strictly a nine holer I probably wouldn't have much to say in this department, but with the 18 holes jam packed on this small piece of property I will say I'm inclined not to return unless I arrive at a time when hardly anyone is around.

I arrived about 10 a.m. on a Friday. I believe there was only one other group out because I heard someone hit a putt off in the distance. I was completely enjoying myself until I got to hole six. That's when I noticed a bunch of other people showing up and that's also when I realized my head needed to be on a swivel.

Walking to hole seven I felt like I was just in the way. I think the guys waiting for me to move were playing some local's safari route, so I began rushing. The rest of the time I had it stuck in my head that I was either going to accidentally hit someone stepping out from a bush or I was going to get hit walking to my disc. It's not necessarily errant throws you need to be careful of. Someone could easily hit a perfect line, but accidentally tag you because you happen to not be looking in that direction at that moment.

Other than that I guess I could mention some of the litter I saw. I didn't think it drastically affected the look of the course, but it was there and litter is litter. I didn't notice many trashcans either. Next time I go I will bring a bag.
Other Thoughts: One of my life goals is to own a small piece of property and if I was fortunate enough to own four acres I would use North Park as a reference when I install tee pads and baskets. That's what this place mostly reminds me of. It's like someone's back yard. It's great when you're alone or in a small group.

I will definitely be back, but next time, if I'm able to, I may show up at 7 a.m. on a Monday.

Great use of space.

1    4/18/2011   4/18/2011
Review By: matt2680
Pros: Close to I-5 and convenient to get to.

Fun layout, some short and some long.

Most holes have a sign/map. And if not, the locals are pretty helpful.
Cons: Course gets a little tight on a nice day.

Watch out for bums. If there is a tarp draped over the brush, just leave it alone.
Other Thoughts: Probably the most efficient use of a small course I've seen.

A decent course to stop in and play if you're on the North side and have a few minutes.

Narrow and Challenging

5+    3/10/2011   3/10/2011
Review By: Robinhood
Pros: Very tight technical challenging course, trees trees and more trees. If there weren't enough trees for you look out for the extra metal poles some for protecting tees some just seem to be there for extra obstacles?
Cons: Can get crowded quickly, makes for some really slow play at times.Confusing layout after 10th hole. you have to walk down fairways to get to some tee pads. It can be dirty at times with trash blowing around like tumble weed.

Other Thoughts: Good for a quick fix, as it is close to where I live. Fun course to play, well worth the trip especially if you live nearby, or if your up for some technical shots.

DECENT

5+    8/1/2010   10/22/2010
Review By: S3R14L_K1LL4
Pros: Challenging, but entertaining. Maintained well.
Cons: Gets crowded easily. There's lots of waiting on people. LOCALS/REGULARS ARE RUDE AND DISRESPECTFUL!!!
Other Thoughts: Fun course. Somewhat easy to follow. But it gets crowded with players and the LOCALS/REGULARS are completely RUDE! They seem to think outsiders don't belong there.

5+    1/8/2009   1/15/2009
Review By: Lost in the Brambles
This review was updated on 1/17/2009
Pros: - Concrete tee pads
- A good use of the space provided
- Locals do a good job on the upkeep
- A course to practice your accuracy
Cons: - Very small space
- Five back 9 holes are shot from a tee pad 10 ft behind the front pad
- Can get very crowded (might as well yell fore on every shot)
- Tons of nets, trees, and poles
- No map...so if you haven't played there can be hard to navigate
- Poor signage

Other Thoughts: This course can be real frustrating, finesse is needed or it could be a long round. Like I said it's a great place to improve your accuracy through the tight corridors.

Short & Technial Minutes from Downtown Seattle

5+    8/31/2008   9/12/2008
Review By: lari
Pros:
- Technical course that makes you really think about your throws, encourages a wide variety of styles
- Some elevation change, esp elevated tees on 5 and 6
- Very close to downtown Seattle
- Good community, lots of friendly regulars
Cons: - Short...
- Not really 18 holes, there are a number of holes with dual tee pads, and some are literally right next to each other - does not even change approach angle
- There are poles and nets to keep you from throwing into the street/other holes - makes more technical, but also frustrating
- You will never find the holes in order without a good map, or someone who has played before
Other Thoughts: Not my favorite course, but man is it convenient. There are a couple of holes that I really like, and a couple of throwaway. If you are in Seattle, and looking for a quick 9+ holes, you cannot complain about having this course nearby. Great for beginners, especially if it is not crowded, but still a challenge.

My Home Course

10/2/2007   10/3/2007
Review By: RainCityGolfer
Pros: Very technical, tight fairways, tricky approaches and greens
Cons: Small, dangerous due to close proximity to other fairways, crowded, mostly unmarked
Other Thoughts: Love this course!!!