Seattle, WA
Mineral Springs Park Share
Uploaded By: Adrenalinedan Hole #1 (Taken 9/2011)

Only the lonely

1    10/30/2011   10/30/2011
Review By: Cinque
Pros: Nope...

What? I can't just put that and have everyone give me a helpful vote?

Fine. I'll go into a bit more detail then.

North Park (Mineral Springs) disc golf course is situated on a four-acre triangle piece of wooded land and is complete with decent concrete tee pads, baskets, hand-drawn signs, slight elevation, metal poles and giant nets.

I've read and come to believe that the metal poles are there to not only add obstacles, but to help protect the trees of this old arboretum. The giant nets are in place to protect the cars along 105th St. and Northgate Way, but more importantly they help protect your noggin.

I appreciate what this course has to offer in regards to tight and creative lines, but North Park offers something else once a few groups arrive - mental unease. That's for the next section though.

Navigation of holes one through nine isn't too hard without a map just as long as you remember what the signs at each pad say. Mad kudos to whomever sketched the signs, because they helped me out immensely. The back nine is basically a replay of the front, but some of the tees are a few feet further back and others, although close, are in different locations entirely. Some holes like four and 13 have different baskets, but like the tees they are close by.

There's no doubt you'll enjoy yourself at North Park if you have some accuracy in your game. Recalling my experience, these fairways required straight mid-range shots with slow fades left and right, low skips to get around hanging branches, forehand rollers to cut corners, thumbers and tomahawks to get out of trouble, hyzers, anhyzers, prayers, wishes, crossed fingers and... I think that about covers it.

The people I saw were really nice and willing to help me with navigation and even pointed out a drop zone for a missed mandy shot.

There's plenty of parking, but if you ever see the parking packed full of automobiles displaying disc golf related stickers then you might want to go play somewhere else, or wear a helmet.
Cons: If North Park was strictly a nine holer I probably wouldn't have much to say in this department, but with the 18 holes jam packed on this small piece of property I will say I'm inclined not to return unless I arrive at a time when hardly anyone is around.

I arrived about 10 a.m. on a Friday. I believe there was only one other group out because I heard someone hit a putt off in the distance. I was completely enjoying myself until I got to hole six. That's when I noticed a bunch of other people showing up and that's also when I realized my head needed to be on a swivel.

Walking to hole seven I felt like I was just in the way. I think the guys waiting for me to move were playing some local's safari route, so I began rushing. The rest of the time I had it stuck in my head that I was either going to accidentally hit someone stepping out from a bush or I was going to get hit walking to my disc. It's not necessarily errant throws you need to be careful of. Someone could easily hit a perfect line, but accidentally tag you because you happen to not be looking in that direction at that moment.

Other than that I guess I could mention some of the litter I saw. I didn't think it drastically affected the look of the course, but it was there and litter is litter. I didn't notice many trashcans either. Next time I go I will bring a bag.
Other Thoughts: One of my life goals is to own a small piece of property and if I was fortunate enough to own four acres I would use North Park as a reference when I install tee pads and baskets. That's what this place mostly reminds me of. It's like someone's back yard. It's great when you're alone or in a small group.

I will definitely be back, but next time, if I'm able to, I may show up at 7 a.m. on a Monday.

Small Setting-Fun Course

1    7/6/2011   7/23/2011
Review By: MudDisk
Pros: Friendly locals welcomed us and invited us to join in the weekly doubles;
Compact design in small urban park;
Easy to find and get to;
Safety nets to keep discs on course/protect the trees/keep discs out of adjoining yards
Cons: The doubling back can be confusing if you are trying to play the full 18;
Popular course-some slow down to wait for groups ahead of us;
Some crossing over of fairways getting from holes to next tee
Other Thoughts: While on recent family vacation, tried out this course located in a small neighborhood park. We happened on the Wed (?) weekly doubles and were encouraged to join in, but passed. Friendly locals made us feel welcome right from the start. A bit crowded, but that made it easy to find the holes and tee pads, so we just followed along. A large group of local teens made the going a bit slow, but they allowed us to play through no problem. I guess better they were on the disc golf course than selling drugs on the street corner. A good afternoon/evening outing and again a fun and different way to vacation and connect with the local folks. Not the usual tourist stuff but well worth packing a few discs in your carry on.

Great use in a small area

5+    12/29/2010   6/17/2011
Review By: jon_mt
Pros: A shorter course requiring excellent control of mid-range discs. Great location and easy to get to. Teepads and baskets are in good shape. Fences/nets keep many errant throws from going onto adjacent roads.
Cons: Can be busy.
Other Thoughts: Love the way they made use of the area. It can be a bit muddy at times, but heck - this is Seattle.

It's an urban course, 'nuff said

2-4    3/5/2011   5/23/2011
Review By: ForestGnome
Pros: It's a fun course, it really is. Lots of different shots, and challenges. I really enjoyed that aspect of it. Every hole required something a little different.
Cons: Discs everywhere. At times it seems like fairways cross fairways. The course is fairly cramped, and one bad shot can land on the tee pad of another hole. Also, the course is impossible to follow hole by hole without asking the locals (who at times are less than willing to help you, though don't let that discourage you, dicks are everywhere, there are a lot of good/nice golfers there too). Another serious problem is the trash, i make a habit of bringing a plastic with me just to clean up what i can. It is pretty pathetic.
Other Thoughts: There are also bums, they are usually nice though, unless you disturb their sleep. They do have some nets to stop rogue discs from hitting some tee pads and the cars, but it is not enough. The course could also seriously use some maps, or signage. I'd do it myself but i don't even understand the layout yet and i've been there several times.

Great use of space.

1    4/18/2011   4/18/2011
Review By: matt2680
Pros: Close to I-5 and convenient to get to.

Fun layout, some short and some long.

Most holes have a sign/map. And if not, the locals are pretty helpful.
Cons: Course gets a little tight on a nice day.

Watch out for bums. If there is a tarp draped over the brush, just leave it alone.
Other Thoughts: Probably the most efficient use of a small course I've seen.

A decent course to stop in and play if you're on the North side and have a few minutes.

Where are the Windmills

1    3/20/2011   3/20/2011
Review By: bbobsuek
Pros: Tight. Technical. Requires a Bagful of shots. Funky
Cons: Typical Seattle signage /layout...it is like a badge of honor to know the layout. Funky
Other Thoughts: It was hard for me to give a 3 but the thing is I MUST go back and try to conquer some of those lines. The place is nothing if not unique.

Narrow and Challenging

5+    3/10/2011   3/10/2011
Review By: Robinhood
Pros: Very tight technical challenging course, trees trees and more trees. If there weren't enough trees for you look out for the extra metal poles some for protecting tees some just seem to be there for extra obstacles?
Cons: Can get crowded quickly, makes for some really slow play at times.Confusing layout after 10th hole. you have to walk down fairways to get to some tee pads. It can be dirty at times with trash blowing around like tumble weed.

Other Thoughts: Good for a quick fix, as it is close to where I live. Fun course to play, well worth the trip especially if you live nearby, or if your up for some technical shots.

DECENT

5+    8/1/2010   10/22/2010
Review By: S3R14L_K1LL4
Pros: Challenging, but entertaining. Maintained well.
Cons: Gets crowded easily. There's lots of waiting on people. LOCALS/REGULARS ARE RUDE AND DISRESPECTFUL!!!
Other Thoughts: Fun course. Somewhat easy to follow. But it gets crowded with players and the LOCALS/REGULARS are completely RUDE! They seem to think outsiders don't belong there.

Balanced fairways

2-4    10/11/2010   10/13/2010
Review By: Leroy
Pros: Of all the courses I've played this one seemed to make the best use of fairways that I've seen. They weren't too wide open, but they didn't have random trees in the middle for no reason either. I felt like every hole could be shot well with some skill instead of just closing your eyes and hoping for the best like I've seen elsewhere in wooded areas. The alternative back nine where you use different tee pads or baskets while playing the same holes added enough variety that I felt it was worth playing.
Cons: Some of the tee pads are a bit short, and sometimes end at a ledge. This is especially true on hole #3. Some of the tee signs are missing, so bringing a map helps.
Other Thoughts: A really nice technical course that will test your wits. Only on a couple of shots did I feel like I could just let a throw rip casually. Well designed for being on such a small plot of land in the middle of N Seattle neighborhoods.

Better have a good release

1    6/10/2010   6/10/2010
Review By: wavehawk
Pros: Very good use of the small amount of land.
Holes are moderately long and technical.
Tee signs (that are there) are helpful.
Netting nice to bounce discs off or stop them from hitting you.
Cons: Not all tees have signs/ the sign is missing. Makes playing a course like this that doubles back on itself very difficult.
Some pins don't have numbers on top, but the ones that do are very nice.
Other Thoughts: Great course to practice your release right off the pad as some will land you right into trees.
Very nice technical, fun and tight course to play.
I played when there were maybe 5 groups on the course, could not imagine what it would be like when it's busy.