Seattle, WA
Mineral Springs Park Share
Uploaded By: Adrenalinedan Hole #3 (Taken 9/2011)

Decent park

5+    3/29/2012   3/29/2012
Review By: GiggleWorks
Pros: I like the park. Its highly technical, and a good challenge. While I have parred white river and Steilicoom, I still can't par this one yet. Not that its much harder, just a lot more technical. Easy to follow.
Cons: In the rain its very muddy. And all the other usual cons here...when it gets crowded sometimes you here "fore!" being shouted every few seconds. The underbrush is easy to lose a disc in and the holly bites.
Other Thoughts: Overall I think its a great course. May not be as good as the big 18 hole courses, but enjoyable and I play it everytime I am in North Seattle....

Urban DG Madness

5+    12/24/2011   12/28/2011
Review By: bfrank
Pros: The only course located in Seattle proper.
This is an uber-technical course, in a very small area, played mostly by hardcore disc golf players.
Cons: Overall, this course is not noobie friendly.
Your first time out, this course is pretty much impossible to properly navigate all 18-holes without a guide. Not all the holes have signs, and for the most part the signs that do exist are crap.
The back 9 overlap the front 9 with slight variations.
A lot of people play this course, especially when it is nice outside. It gets packed. Welcome to disc golf, city-style.
Walking from hole-to-hole without crossing one or two other fairways can be difficult to do. So not only do you have to figure out the line to the basket, you have to figure out the "proper path" to take to get to the next tee pad without crossing another fairway. So the locals get pissy when noobies are wandering aimlessly around the course. (Which I guess is understandable since this course is a bit of a cluster to begin with, but getting scowled at can be off-putting.)
Similarly, a bad toss on any given hole will put you on the fairway for a different basket. On hole 3 you could easily end up on fairway 2, 4, 9 (and 11, 13, 18 respectively), or the green for 17. This issue exists on every hole out there.
The regular players of this course are hardcore disc golfers, so you should try to make friendly with these folks and get some guidance. Otherwise, you could get some scowls if you are holding other people up, or wandering aimlessly and making this cluster-of-a-course even more difficult to play.
Watch out for stray discs! And don't be bashful about calling out "fore!"
Other Thoughts: I am thankful that there is a course in the city, and once you figure out the layout it is definitely playable with lots of technically challenging holes that require a variety of different throws and skills. That being said, this is my home course due solely to the fact that it is the only course within a 30-minute drive of my house. And truth be told, all the other courses outside the city limits are better than this one, so if you want to play a good course and can afford to make the drive I would do it.
The dudes out there are friendly as long as you say hello, ask for navigation assistance, and make an effort not to hold anyone up or get in the way. So it's a spot for serious disc golfers.
I don't love this course, but it's close to my house and I have played it enough that it's tight lines and experienced patrons have helped my game.

Only the lonely

1    10/30/2011   10/30/2011
Review By: Cinque
Pros: Nope...

What? I can't just put that and have everyone give me a helpful vote?

Fine. I'll go into a bit more detail then.

North Park (Mineral Springs) disc golf course is situated on a four-acre triangle piece of wooded land and is complete with decent concrete tee pads, baskets, hand-drawn signs, slight elevation, metal poles and giant nets.

I've read and come to believe that the metal poles are there to not only add obstacles, but to help protect the trees of this old arboretum. The giant nets are in place to protect the cars along 105th St. and Northgate Way, but more importantly they help protect your noggin.

I appreciate what this course has to offer in regards to tight and creative lines, but North Park offers something else once a few groups arrive - mental unease. That's for the next section though.

Navigation of holes one through nine isn't too hard without a map just as long as you remember what the signs at each pad say. Mad kudos to whomever sketched the signs, because they helped me out immensely. The back nine is basically a replay of the front, but some of the tees are a few feet further back and others, although close, are in different locations entirely. Some holes like four and 13 have different baskets, but like the tees they are close by.

There's no doubt you'll enjoy yourself at North Park if you have some accuracy in your game. Recalling my experience, these fairways required straight mid-range shots with slow fades left and right, low skips to get around hanging branches, forehand rollers to cut corners, thumbers and tomahawks to get out of trouble, hyzers, anhyzers, prayers, wishes, crossed fingers and... I think that about covers it.

The people I saw were really nice and willing to help me with navigation and even pointed out a drop zone for a missed mandy shot.

There's plenty of parking, but if you ever see the parking packed full of automobiles displaying disc golf related stickers then you might want to go play somewhere else, or wear a helmet.
Cons: If North Park was strictly a nine holer I probably wouldn't have much to say in this department, but with the 18 holes jam packed on this small piece of property I will say I'm inclined not to return unless I arrive at a time when hardly anyone is around.

I arrived about 10 a.m. on a Friday. I believe there was only one other group out because I heard someone hit a putt off in the distance. I was completely enjoying myself until I got to hole six. That's when I noticed a bunch of other people showing up and that's also when I realized my head needed to be on a swivel.

Walking to hole seven I felt like I was just in the way. I think the guys waiting for me to move were playing some local's safari route, so I began rushing. The rest of the time I had it stuck in my head that I was either going to accidentally hit someone stepping out from a bush or I was going to get hit walking to my disc. It's not necessarily errant throws you need to be careful of. Someone could easily hit a perfect line, but accidentally tag you because you happen to not be looking in that direction at that moment.

Other than that I guess I could mention some of the litter I saw. I didn't think it drastically affected the look of the course, but it was there and litter is litter. I didn't notice many trashcans either. Next time I go I will bring a bag.
Other Thoughts: One of my life goals is to own a small piece of property and if I was fortunate enough to own four acres I would use North Park as a reference when I install tee pads and baskets. That's what this place mostly reminds me of. It's like someone's back yard. It's great when you're alone or in a small group.

I will definitely be back, but next time, if I'm able to, I may show up at 7 a.m. on a Monday.

Small Setting-Fun Course

1    7/6/2011   7/23/2011
Review By: MudDisk
Pros: Friendly locals welcomed us and invited us to join in the weekly doubles;
Compact design in small urban park;
Easy to find and get to;
Safety nets to keep discs on course/protect the trees/keep discs out of adjoining yards
Cons: The doubling back can be confusing if you are trying to play the full 18;
Popular course-some slow down to wait for groups ahead of us;
Some crossing over of fairways getting from holes to next tee
Other Thoughts: While on recent family vacation, tried out this course located in a small neighborhood park. We happened on the Wed (?) weekly doubles and were encouraged to join in, but passed. Friendly locals made us feel welcome right from the start. A bit crowded, but that made it easy to find the holes and tee pads, so we just followed along. A large group of local teens made the going a bit slow, but they allowed us to play through no problem. I guess better they were on the disc golf course than selling drugs on the street corner. A good afternoon/evening outing and again a fun and different way to vacation and connect with the local folks. Not the usual tourist stuff but well worth packing a few discs in your carry on.

Great use in a small area

5+    12/29/2010   6/17/2011
Review By: jon_mt
Pros: A shorter course requiring excellent control of mid-range discs. Great location and easy to get to. Teepads and baskets are in good shape. Fences/nets keep many errant throws from going onto adjacent roads.
Cons: Can be busy.
Other Thoughts: Love the way they made use of the area. It can be a bit muddy at times, but heck - this is Seattle.

It's an urban course, 'nuff said

2-4    3/5/2011   5/23/2011
Review By: ForestGnome
Pros: It's a fun course, it really is. Lots of different shots, and challenges. I really enjoyed that aspect of it. Every hole required something a little different.
Cons: Discs everywhere. At times it seems like fairways cross fairways. The course is fairly cramped, and one bad shot can land on the tee pad of another hole. Also, the course is impossible to follow hole by hole without asking the locals (who at times are less than willing to help you, though don't let that discourage you, dicks are everywhere, there are a lot of good/nice golfers there too). Another serious problem is the trash, i make a habit of bringing a plastic with me just to clean up what i can. It is pretty pathetic.
Other Thoughts: There are also bums, they are usually nice though, unless you disturb their sleep. They do have some nets to stop rogue discs from hitting some tee pads and the cars, but it is not enough. The course could also seriously use some maps, or signage. I'd do it myself but i don't even understand the layout yet and i've been there several times.

Great use of space.

1    4/18/2011   4/18/2011
Review By: matt2680
Pros: Close to I-5 and convenient to get to.

Fun layout, some short and some long.

Most holes have a sign/map. And if not, the locals are pretty helpful.
Cons: Course gets a little tight on a nice day.

Watch out for bums. If there is a tarp draped over the brush, just leave it alone.
Other Thoughts: Probably the most efficient use of a small course I've seen.

A decent course to stop in and play if you're on the North side and have a few minutes.

Where are the Windmills

1    3/20/2011   3/20/2011
Review By: bbobsuek
Pros: Tight. Technical. Requires a Bagful of shots. Funky
Cons: Typical Seattle signage /layout...it is like a badge of honor to know the layout. Funky
Other Thoughts: It was hard for me to give a 3 but the thing is I MUST go back and try to conquer some of those lines. The place is nothing if not unique.

Narrow and Challenging

5+    3/10/2011   3/10/2011
Review By: Robinhood
Pros: Very tight technical challenging course, trees trees and more trees. If there weren't enough trees for you look out for the extra metal poles some for protecting tees some just seem to be there for extra obstacles?
Cons: Can get crowded quickly, makes for some really slow play at times.Confusing layout after 10th hole. you have to walk down fairways to get to some tee pads. It can be dirty at times with trash blowing around like tumble weed.

Other Thoughts: Good for a quick fix, as it is close to where I live. Fun course to play, well worth the trip especially if you live nearby, or if your up for some technical shots.

DECENT

5+    8/1/2010   10/22/2010
Review By: S3R14L_K1LL4
Pros: Challenging, but entertaining. Maintained well.
Cons: Gets crowded easily. There's lots of waiting on people. LOCALS/REGULARS ARE RUDE AND DISRESPECTFUL!!!
Other Thoughts: Fun course. Somewhat easy to follow. But it gets crowded with players and the LOCALS/REGULARS are completely RUDE! They seem to think outsiders don't belong there.