Vista, CA
Brengle Terrace Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: onemilemore Hole #7 (Taken 10/2012)
3 / 307ft.   3 / 307ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Varied Terrain

5+    8/26/2014   8/29/2014
Review By: endermetal
This review was updated on 9/12/2015
Pros: Brengle Terrace Disc Golf Course is set up around a public park. The course makes very good use of the land and avoids the major pedestrian walkways. I first played here a month ago, and the layout seems to have been improved on from its previous incarnation. The course plays in such a way that very few of the fairways cross one another. Overall great design and layout.

Several of the holes are unique and offer a different challenge. Indeed, the variety of holes is quite impressive: tight, wooded and technical; open fairways with minimal hazards; epic downhills and everything in between. The course does not seem to be heavily favored to any one particular throwing style, and a variety of shots may be needed. Definitely the single most distinguishing factor--and what I found to be most impressive--is the amount of elevation change and the variety of terrain this course offers. Some of the views are also quite spectacular, which I would partially attribute to the maintenance of the course; the trees are well trimmed and the grass is always cut and green.

The tee pads and baskets are in good condition. The tee pads are mostly of the rubberized variety, and I didn't see much deterioration or unevenness. Trash cans are located throughout the course

There is a refrigerated drinking fountain in the indoor sports building to the left of hole 3, which is a huge bonus as it can get quite hot during the summer.

The course is not crowded at all, and generally the disc golfers you run into are friendly and will let faster groups play through.
Cons: The tee signs do not contain any information other than the hole number. This can prove to be frustrating at times if there are OB areas, unseen hazards, etc.,

While the overall layout of the course makes sense by going in a clockwise direction around the amphitheater, there are a couple of holes that are difficult to find. This is exacerbated by the fact that there is no information on the tee signs. There are a couple of separate signs posted on fences that give a written description of where the next hole is located, but having this information on a tee sign depicted by a graphic would be more helpful. After playing the course once or twice, this becomes a non issue though.

I do not recall benches on any of the holes, although this is not a huge negative for me as I'm somewhat young and in decent shape. I could see this being a bigger issue for folks that need to frequently sit down.

The number of uphill throws is slightly more than I would prefer. The course is more or less divided equally into 1/3 uphill, 1/3 downhill, and 1/3 level shots.
Other Thoughts: Brengle is a newer course, and I applaud the designers and the amount of effort that went into constructing it. I believe the course is still unfinished and, with time, could potentially become the premier disc golf course in San Diego County.

This course provides a very PHYSICAL workout--you will constantly be climbing up multiple hills. I personally found this to be a positive as I enjoy doing cardio. Others may be deterred from playing here for the very same reason.

I took a look at the photos of the old layout, and was really interested in 14 and 15. It would be nice if they could bring those back somehow and remove the somewhat mundane 6 and 7 holes.

The course really starts to come into its own beginning with hole 8. Not that the first 7 holes are bad, they're just not as good as some of the latter holes. My personal favorite is 10, which is this neat little secluded wooded tunnel that requires precision control to get in range for a birdie. Other standout holes would be 8, 9, 13, and 15.

During my first play through, I thought hole 5 was going to be located beyond the baseball fields to the left where there is a densely wooded canyon. However, I quickly found out no holes were located here and hole 5 was in the opposite direction. I wish some holes would be placed here. The canyon provides a truly awesome jungle atmosphere, and would offer a unique experience in the disc golf world--utilizing this part of the park would only enhance the course and increase its reputation of offering interesting and varied environments. I understand making this a reality would require a ton of work, as several plants would need to be removed (and may prove to be illegal if it's a protected area). I could also see this as possibly interrupting the flow of the course without modifications. If holes were to be placed here, I see a few possible solutions to keeping the course at 18 holes:

Remove holes 1 and 4 and start the course at hole 2
Remove holes 6 and 7 (these were the least memorable holes of the entire course for me)

Brengle Terrace is a very enjoyable course that every serious disc golfer in San Diego should check out. I find myself playing here and at Kit Carson often to avoid the crowds at Morley Field.

Hole # 8 is Beautiful But 8 Uphill Throws Was Too Much!

1    3/31/2014   4/1/2014
Pros: Brengle Terrace Park is a large sprawling park which seems to be an ideal terrain on which to build a disc golf course. The overall hilly topography of this park should provide many opportunities for epic and enjoyable downhill throws. Instead I found myself walking down hills so I could throw up the next hill. It should be the other way around. There were 8 and possibly 9 holes which had you throwing uphill. Besides the truly EPIC # 8, the enjoyable # 9 and then #'s 10 and 13, there wern't any other even slight downhill throws. The course lacks really great or IMO memorable holes here.

About the afore-mentioned # 8. This hole belongs on most any list of really great. beautiful disc golf holes. It has the whole package! First the tee pad is especially well built and constructed and is set in a lovely little area w/boulders and branches. Then the view to the basket, maybe 300' down below you is really quite lovely, much like a sculptured golf hole. I'd easily place this hole on my top 18 favorite holes list, that from the almost 600 courses I've played.

The new signs are in. They're lovely carved wooden ones but give no pertinent information. No distance or map. They do have the sponsors name on them. I worry about what they'll look like in a year or two after the local teen population has their way with them. I hope I'm wrong!

Pretty view of the surrounding hills area from # 1 pad.

Course ends right near the parking lot where you started.

I liked the basket placement of # 12 up in the rocks.

# 13 was a great little downhill flick shot. Too bad, I don't have that shot in my aresenol. Part of the reason I'm such a mediorce player.
Cons: Long walkout after # 4.
Fairly long walkout after # 16.
Tee signs are pretty but contain no info.
I'm afraid signs will get trashed by vandals.
While I did appreciate helpful navigational aids, I still stumbled about after #2 and #14.
Too many uphill throws.
Other Thoughts: Note to San Diego Aces: I can see much love and work had gone into this course. Can I suggest one simple, cheap helpful improvement? How about hanging a next tee sign w/an arrow on the bottom of the baskets? Or maybe painting one rung of the basket which points to the next tee? Either would have helped me considerably.

But kudos on # 8. That is really the gem of this course and there are very few holes anywhere in the country which measure up with it, in terms to it's overall disc golf beauty. Great job there!

Fun park course

1    8/12/2012   8/14/2012
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a large multi-use park, and mostly does a nice job of avoiding conflicts with other park uses. Elevation comes into play on many of the holes, with several tough uphill shots that add to the effective length and difficulty of the course. A couple pin positions have great roll-away potential, adding some challenge to the short game. Despite several fairly open shots off the tee, many of the pin positions are guarded with brush or trees to keep the shot a little more interesting. A handful of holes are tighter and force some different line shaping, offering a little more rough to punish errant shots.

The baskets are brand new, and catch well. The park seemed to be well taken care of, despite earlier reviews to the contrary we didn't find too much trash, obviously a lot of work has gone into building and cleaning this course. The rubber tees are fine, most are level and smooth and they offer plenty of grip.
Cons: A couple holes play right over or next to picnic areas, potentially a major safety issue on a popular day. Several tees are right near the previous basket, so watch out for errant shots by groups behind you. There are a couple really long walks, and with no signage it can be a little difficult to follow the course your first time through. It would be nice to have some idea of hole lengths and layouts, and maybe some next tee signs to help with the flow.

The course is pretty short and open overall, I liked the use of the elevation to add some challenge and the wooded sections of the park are nice, but there just isn't enough land to stretch it out or make it a truly challenging layout. It felt like there were a lot of holes that threw uphill, and a lot of downhill walks to the next tee. I enjoy the challenge of throwing uphill, but it's always nice to get the payoff of a fun downhill shot and that doesn't really happen here.
Other Thoughts: Beginners will find this course challenging but approachable. There are enough obstacles and challenges to push newer players to learn different lines and how discs fly with moderate elevation changes, but not so much rough that it will get frustrating. More experienced players won't find a ton of challenge, but there are a handful of holes that offer the chance for creativity and punish poor execution. I had a good time here, and will definitely be back.

work in progress

2-4    7/20/2012   7/21/2012
Review By: Leatherface760
Pros: good vareity of holes. used the space they had pretty well. lots of trees blocking shots(yes to me this is a pro) over all pretty fun course. lots of walking up hills(yes a pro to me)
Cons: too many people in park, no signs yet, needs some work.couple of the holes WAY too short.