Vista, CA
Brengle Terrace Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: Discette Hole #18 (Taken 11/2012)

< Prev 1 2 3
Brengle Terrace Park DGC

1    2/14/2016   3/29/2016
Review By: JR Stengele
Pros:
Located In the beautiful city of Vista, Brengle Terrace Park DGC is the perfect place to challenge your game while getting a full workout. The course is 18 holes spread out through an enormous park filled with peaks and valleys. Nearly every hole incorporates elevation and can often times be reached from the tee.

Many baskets and tee pads are guarded, which makes proper technique and accuracy a must in order to birdie. Hole length for the course ranges from 235'-552', with some holes being even longer if throwing from the back tees. The course uses rubber mats, making them ideal when needing to be relocated due to construction (currently holes 17 & 18) or redesign. The course has multiple pin placements as well, allowing for some variety for the local scene.

There is a pro shop located on site just below hole four which is a major plus, offering plenty of snacks, equipment, and apparel for those in need. The course is well maintained, with clean fairways and well-kept flora. This course is best suited for intermediate and advanced players, but with the right attitude all skill levels can enjoy it!

Favorite Hole(s): #8 & #10
Cons:
As others have mentioned in their reviews, the biggest con from a traveling player like myself is course navigation. Once the course is played a few times it is quite easy to follow but for first timers...a map is a must! There are a few very long walk-outs and it can be quite easy to get lost. Fortunately, I was with a buddy who lives in the area but even then we still needed to pull out a map a time or two.

Another improvement that would be nice to see would be some visuals on the tee signs rather than just a number. It is always nice to see the layout of the hole and the suggested route. Hole distance, par, and major obstacles would be a nice bonus but is not a must.

Last, the amount of people enjoying the park can be an issue at times. There is a long walking pathway that meanders throughout the course as well as a playground near the entrance that makes for the perfect gathering spot on warm sunny days. The day we were playing we came across a family reunion near holes one and two. Fortunately, they were extremely nice and allowed us to play through as they stepped aside for a brief moment to watch. However, I am not sure everyone will have that luck so some holes may have to be skipped.
What made my visit to Brengle Terrace Park so enjoyable, besides the beautiful warm winter weather, was the variety of terrain the course provided. I know many complain about the amount of walking but I found the elevation to be extremely fun! Although some fairways play close to one another and may be lacking the challenge, it was nice to see variety in terms of playing across grassy fields, tree filled ravines, and over brush which blocked the greens. Although many may find the course short by modern day standards, I found it to be challenging enough due to the physical demand and would gladly call this my home course. If in the area I would most definitely consider playing it!

Note: The pictures on here do not match the current layout. Also, if looking to print off a map, use map 2 under the links/files tab.

One of The Hydra Best

1    3/10/2016   3/18/2016
Review By: howlingwolfus
Pros: - great for working on Course Cardio.

- Varieties of shots, flight paths, and alley ways.

-extremely open. (bring walking / trekking shoes)
Cons: -ITS A HIKE, BUTS ITS FUN!

-Summer Time heat is an issue but bring water.

-the last two holes have been placed all the way on the other side of the course because of a remodeling and temporary revamping of the lower parking lot portion.
Other Thoughts: I call the southern california courses from Escondido, Vista, and Murrieta the Hydra because of great play, players and groups found within the courses.

Escondido has Kit Karson Park Group
Vista has San Diego Aces
Murreita has Murrieta Rattlers

The hills are alive!

2-4    12/25/2015   1/30/2016
Review By: Mr. Butlertron
Pros:

- Free to play
- Pro shop on location
- Bathrooms
- Rubber tee mats
- lots elevation changes
- Decent variety of distances and basket orientations
- Tee signs with numbers
- Clean, well maintained fairways
- Alternate tees on a few holes
- Multiple pin positions
Cons:
- No map or distances on tee signs
- Not enough directional signs between holes
- Layout hard to follow, especially from 4 to 5, 7 to 8, and from 15 to 16. It looks like the course designers either got lazy or ran out of room on 16-18.
- Baskets 16, 17, 18 are very close to each other and they share the same tee
- Walking trail and playground come into play
- Course fairways overlap on the back side
- Most fairways were too open and had no obstacles
Fun course, but navigation between holes was a pain. After holing out on 4 walk up the hill on the road, you'll see a tee off on the right. 5 also seems to have long tee too. Make sure you either bring a copy of the map or consult the course map on the bulletin board near the start of hole 1 . The course wasn't overly difficult, yet I still justified the use most of the discs from my bag throughout the course. There wasn't a single hole that didn't use some sort of difference in elevation to add an element of difficulty to make up for the otherwise simple course layout. Hopefully putting baskets 16-18 in the same general area for the same tee is temporary thing. Fun course, but the end could use some rethinking.

It's Beautiful!

2-4    1/21/2016   1/21/2016
Review By: PanamaJacks
Pros: Played this course for the first time and it's beautiful! The scenery and landscaping are incredible. I must have taken a lot of work to get this course in full shape. Well done! Every hole offers its own challenges and the elevation changes keep you on your toes. We only had a few park goers get in the way. Everyone was very polite. Get a course map from the pro shop so you don't get lost.
Cons: 16, 17, and 18 all play from the same tee box right now because of park restoration projects. Nothing to be done about it. I'm sure it'll be stellar when it's done. Maps on the tee signs would be a huge improvement to this course.

One of my favorites

1    7/6/2015   7/22/2015
Review By: cxr1037
Pros: - A lot of different shot varieties here. I find myself using a good range of discs on this course.
- Rarely crowded. Sometimes there's a big group going slow but I've always been able to play right through with no problem.
- Some nice views of Vista on certain holes.
Cons: - Park-goers sometimes get in the way. I've seen people picnicking in fairways, kids playing on teepads, etc.
- Can be a bit hard to follow if it's your first time. There are signs, but there are a few large gaps from hole to hole (another reviewer points them out).
- A good amount of elevation change here means it's a physical course. If you're not in good shape or it's the middle of the day in summer, it can be a very tiring course.
Other Thoughts: They change the basket locations from time to time, but most holes only have one set of tee pads (the exceptions are #5 [on the top of the hill along the fenceline, R of regular pad], #17, and #18).

I love this course and would play every day if I could!

Fun course, lots of elevation.

1    12/23/2014   12/23/2014
Review By: NSDallin
Pros: Good teepads and quite a few "go this way" signs, especially when its a far distance. I wouldnt have known how to get from 7 to 8 if there wasnt a little sign that said "walk across the road to the left of the gazebo". Those "this way" signs on certain holes were very nice.
- Great use of the elevation and distance of the perimeter of the park.
-nice innova baskets.
- Friendly locals that helped me find where hole 1 was and navigate the course the few times i got lost.
- Nice array of shots needed.
Cons: -The layout has been changed and a lot of the maps online are of the old layout.
- a lot of holes have far walks between them and were very disconnected. especially holes 4 to 5, 7 to 8, and 16 to 17.
-Hole 4 often times has people just 50-100 feet to the left of the basket in danger if you arnt accurate with your drive.
- No distance or map on the teesigns. Just a sponsor name and a hole number.

Other Thoughts: This is a fun course with good basket and pads, that runs around the perimeter of a park with gardens and walkways in the middle of the park. The course is very well taken care of and is loved by the locals i can tell. The few times i got turned around or lost i could just holler a question to sometime passing by and they were happy to guide me to my next hole. Very nice locals. The course is split into a few sections. Holes 1-4 are in one area, holes 5-7 are another pocket, holes 8-16 all connect well together, and holes 17 and 18 are a pair. as long as you can find your way between holes 4-5, 7-8, and 16-17 this course is easy to navigate and play in a short amount of time. Highly recommended. It demands every kind of shot. left, right, and straight shots are all here. a few blind holes, and a lot of elevation. Its a gem.

Varied Terrain

5+    8/26/2014   8/29/2014
Review By: endermetal
This review was updated on 9/12/2015
Pros: Brengle Terrace Disc Golf Course is set up around a public park. The course makes very good use of the land and avoids the major pedestrian walkways. I first played here a month ago, and the layout seems to have been improved on from its previous incarnation. The course plays in such a way that very few of the fairways cross one another. Overall great design and layout.

Several of the holes are unique and offer a different challenge. Indeed, the variety of holes is quite impressive: tight, wooded and technical; open fairways with minimal hazards; epic downhills and everything in between. The course does not seem to be heavily favored to any one particular throwing style, and a variety of shots may be needed. Definitely the single most distinguishing factor--and what I found to be most impressive--is the amount of elevation change and the variety of terrain this course offers. Some of the views are also quite spectacular, which I would partially attribute to the maintenance of the course; the trees are well trimmed and the grass is always cut and green.

The tee pads and baskets are in good condition. The tee pads are mostly of the rubberized variety, and I didn't see much deterioration or unevenness. Trash cans are located throughout the course

There is a refrigerated drinking fountain in the indoor sports building to the left of hole 3, which is a huge bonus as it can get quite hot during the summer.

The course is not crowded at all, and generally the disc golfers you run into are friendly and will let faster groups play through.
Cons: The tee signs do not contain any information other than the hole number. This can prove to be frustrating at times if there are OB areas, unseen hazards, etc.,

While the overall layout of the course makes sense by going in a clockwise direction around the amphitheater, there are a couple of holes that are difficult to find. This is exacerbated by the fact that there is no information on the tee signs. There are a couple of separate signs posted on fences that give a written description of where the next hole is located, but having this information on a tee sign depicted by a graphic would be more helpful. After playing the course once or twice, this becomes a non issue though.

I do not recall benches on any of the holes, although this is not a huge negative for me as I'm somewhat young and in decent shape. I could see this being a bigger issue for folks that need to frequently sit down.

The number of uphill throws is slightly more than I would prefer. The course is more or less divided equally into 1/3 uphill, 1/3 downhill, and 1/3 level shots.
Other Thoughts: Brengle is a newer course, and I applaud the designers and the amount of effort that went into constructing it. I believe the course is still unfinished and, with time, could potentially become the premier disc golf course in San Diego County.

This course provides a very PHYSICAL workout--you will constantly be climbing up multiple hills. I personally found this to be a positive as I enjoy doing cardio. Others may be deterred from playing here for the very same reason.

I took a look at the photos of the old layout, and was really interested in 14 and 15. It would be nice if they could bring those back somehow and remove the somewhat mundane 6 and 7 holes.

The course really starts to come into its own beginning with hole 8. Not that the first 7 holes are bad, they're just not as good as some of the latter holes. My personal favorite is 10, which is this neat little secluded wooded tunnel that requires precision control to get in range for a birdie. Other standout holes would be 8, 9, 13, and 15.

During my first play through, I thought hole 5 was going to be located beyond the baseball fields to the left where there is a densely wooded canyon. However, I quickly found out no holes were located here and hole 5 was in the opposite direction. I wish some holes would be placed here. The canyon provides a truly awesome jungle atmosphere, and would offer a unique experience in the disc golf world--utilizing this part of the park would only enhance the course and increase its reputation of offering interesting and varied environments. I understand making this a reality would require a ton of work, as several plants would need to be removed (and may prove to be illegal if it's a protected area). I could also see this as possibly interrupting the flow of the course without modifications. If holes were to be placed here, I see a few possible solutions to keeping the course at 18 holes:

• Remove holes 1 and 4 and start the course at hole 2
• Remove holes 6 and 7 (these were the least memorable holes of the entire course for me)

Brengle Terrace is a very enjoyable course that every serious disc golfer in San Diego should check out. I find myself playing here and at Kit Carson often to avoid the crowds at Morley Field.

Brengle - the best of SD

5+    12/21/2013   5/20/2014
Review By: The_Warwolf
This review was updated on 5/26/2014
Pros: This course really gives you a chance to pull out every shot in your bag. It's set in a beautiful park and somehow manages to avoid the majority of park goers.

UPDATE: New signage has been added to each hole and they've put up some indicators to point toward the next pad. Very helpful.

The course is challenging and a few of the holes you have to be somewhat conservative and accept that par is a good score. The guys over at Kinetic and SD Aces have done a great job refining the layout and it presented a great tourney course for the SD Open.

There's a pro shop with some really great people who carry a decent selection of discs and gear.

Because there is hardly ever a crowd I'd rate this one higher than Morley, of course I also used to live 10min from the park. I think Kit Carson gets a few too many park goers to compare.
Cons: If it's your first time out there you might get lost between 11 and 12 or finding your way through 13-16, although like anywhere else once you've seen each hole they're not as hard to find.
Other Thoughts: If you're into the craft beer scene SD North County is where it's at. Stop by Mother Earth for a beer after the round (my personal favorite micro-brew).

Also, if you recall (from the old layout) holes 14 and 15 those were very challenging and a lot of fun, I definitely miss those holes.

Hole # 8 is Beautiful But 8 Uphill Throws Was Too Much!

1    3/31/2014   4/1/2014
Pros: Brengle Terrace Park is a large sprawling park which seems to be an ideal terrain on which to build a disc golf course. The overall hilly topography of this park should provide many opportunities for epic and enjoyable downhill throws. Instead I found myself walking down hills so I could throw up the next hill. It should be the other way around. There were 8 and possibly 9 holes which had you throwing uphill. Besides the truly EPIC # 8, the enjoyable # 9 and then #'s 10 and 13, there wern't any other even slight downhill throws. The course lacks really great or IMO memorable holes here.

About the afore-mentioned # 8. This hole belongs on most any list of really great. beautiful disc golf holes. It has the whole package! First the tee pad is especially well built and constructed and is set in a lovely little area w/boulders and branches. Then the view to the basket, maybe 300' down below you is really quite lovely, much like a sculptured golf hole. I'd easily place this hole on my top 18 favorite holes list, that from the almost 600 courses I've played.

The new signs are in. They're lovely carved wooden ones but give no pertinent information. No distance or map. They do have the sponsors name on them. I worry about what they'll look like in a year or two after the local teen population has their way with them. I hope I'm wrong!

Pretty view of the surrounding hills area from # 1 pad.

Course ends right near the parking lot where you started.

I liked the basket placement of # 12 up in the rocks.

# 13 was a great little downhill flick shot. Too bad, I don't have that shot in my aresenol. Part of the reason I'm such a mediorce player.
Cons: Long walkout after # 4.
Fairly long walkout after # 16.
Tee signs are pretty but contain no info.
I'm afraid signs will get trashed by vandals.
While I did appreciate helpful navigational aids, I still stumbled about after #2 and #14.
Too many uphill throws.
Other Thoughts: Note to San Diego Aces: I can see much love and work had gone into this course. Can I suggest one simple, cheap helpful improvement? How about hanging a next tee sign w/an arrow on the bottom of the baskets? Or maybe painting one rung of the basket which points to the next tee? Either would have helped me considerably.

But kudos on # 8. That is really the gem of this course and there are very few holes anywhere in the country which measure up with it, in terms to it's overall disc golf beauty. Great job there!

To Be Continued…

1    10/29/2013   11/1/2013
Review By: Magiken
Pros:
• After the first few holes, you get to some pretty varied shot selections
• Nice views/surroundings
• Tees are great (rubber mat variety)
• Baskets are fine
• Course is easy to find
• Water/restrooms
• Great park with lots of amenities
Cons:
• Where are the stinking signs?!?!?
• Not easy to navigate
• People/park goers are in play in a few spots
• One or two shots might be a bit unfair
Tips:
• Ignore course maps I, II, and III in the Links section (which I would have loved to have known ahead of time)
• When you pull in the parking lot, go right, drive a bit, and look left up the hill for the silver "AMERICA" sign. Holes 1 and 2 are there.
• Bring some good climbing shoes
• Be aware that this appears to a prime spot for canoodling. I must've passed at least 4 couples on my trek doing some form of heavy petting. Awkward...

Random Thoughts:
This will be an unfinished review as I'm pretty sure I was playing an unfinished course, because right now there are only hole number markers. No maps. No signs. No luck finding your way around, and this is a huge park, with some lengthy transitions between holes. The maps that are linked can kind of get you headed in the right direction, but I basically had to wander around to find the next hole, and in the hilly/rocky section, that sucked. Now that I've ranted... I do like the variety of holes here. Granted it's a little slow starting as the first 5-7 holes are fairly straightforward and not terribly difficult. Things change on #8, which incidentally is one of the coolest tee pad locations I've ever seen. Bravo on that one. But that's where the fun starts. Just about every hole after that up until maybe 18 has some major tree action and some serious risk/reward shot making. I mentioned that a couple holes might be unfair because I really didn't see any attack angle to the shot. It just seemed like the plan was to huck it into the trees and hope, but that's not a huge deal to me really. I'm not the type that demands every hole be aceable, or even birdieable. So overall I was not disappointed in the variety of shots presented to me.

Bottom Line:
I'll have to come back to see how this course finishes up but I do think it's headed in the right direction. It's a very nice park with tons of potential that looks like it will be taken advantage of. I'm looking forward to a return visit, that is, when the signs are done....and the map.

< Prev 1 2 3