Vista, CA
Brengle Terrace Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: onemilemore Hole #9 (Taken 10/2012)
3 / 212ft.   3 / 212ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #9 Tee: Basket across at top of next hill

Bringin' it at Brengle

1    5/29/2013   5/29/2013
Review By: elton807
Pros: Amazing variety of elevation, distance, wooded/open, and unique looks to each hole. Nice tee pads, and very challenging basket locations.
Cons: No distance signage. Holes 12-15 are certainly not there right now, due to tree cutting project. I obviously didn't get to play them, but I imaging these holes were extremely tough before the trim job.
Other Thoughts: This is really my kind of course. My favorite holes are: 3-5, 7-9, 16 & 17.
=====================
Uniqueness: A (quite a rural feel to a park in the middle of hilly suburbia; very interesting layout)
Difficulty: A (hole 9 & 11 basket locations are really elevated & tough; holes 5, 12-15 have many trees to contend with)
Fun Factor: A (the downhill tee shots on 3 & 4 are really fun & open, the front 9 is one of my favorites)
Aesthetics: A- (rugged in the woods; mowed grass in the open areas)
----------------------
Overall: A

bring you hiking boots

1    5/1/2013   5/1/2013
Review By: hyper_hippo18
Pros: -Very good variety of throws to be used
-pretty decent tee pads
-pro shop
-parking is not an issue
Cons: -pretty wooded
-lots of walking up and down (im not being lazy, but the heat may have been a factor)
-needs to be more signs for tees and pin locations
-can get hot
Other Thoughts: When you throw a good throw, it feels like you're a pro. In contrast, if u mess up, it lets you get creative to save par. Lots of walking, but distance can be cut down by getting a map in the pro shop or in the main offices. There are lots of chances to perfect your throws, so get ready to learn. Have fun!

Brengle Terrace is so much fun

5+    2/2/2013   2/2/2013
Review By: JasonVista
This review was updated on 2/9/2013
Pros: The course is extremely challenging and requires every throw and disc in your bag.
It offers a really good work out aside from a great DG experience. There are elevation changes on most holes. At times it feels like a very tough hike.
First time players here may feel the course is too tough or unfair, but I don't think it should be easy the first time. This course is never easy but you can figure a lot of things out each round you play.
The wind always comes into play sometimes subtly and sometimes not so subtly.
I really love everything about this course, especially it's proximity to my home.
The pro shop is great! Well stocked! Great prices! And the best service. Kinetic has their stuff together. Mike is incredibly helpful both with disc selection and on course advice. :-)
The course is not crowded with golfers most of the time, bigger groups are super nice about playing through.
Park goers rarely come into play, even on the weekends, and always move when asked nicely.

Cons: The course is young and like some of the other reviews state, there is some poison oak about on a few holes, and looks like fresh stinging nettles on a few holes.
The course is only difficult to navigate the 1st time through, every round there after you'll know, and you'll love it.
Super long downhill holes, as rejected by the city, would have been a lot of fun.
Other Thoughts: I just started disc golfing again over the last 4 months once I discovered this course. Been playing every day. Aside from here I've played Pasadena, La mirada, Chino, Morely, sylmar, and the course by Dodger stadium in this time period. Because of the mix of difficulties at Brengle terrace, I would say it is as hard to score well as any of the other courses, and more so in some cases. I'm averaging +5 from mostly the back tees... and scored better at most of the other courses in far fewer rounds.

Beginner's Guide

5+    1/23/2013   1/23/2013
Review By: mistletoe33
This review was updated on 11/27/2013
Other Thoughts: A Beginner's Guide to Brengle, updated after new layout: 11-27-13

I have been playing for three years. I've played Brengle more than 250 times, and have developed some savvy that might help others with similar ability levels. Not a long thrower, my average tee shots are 200-250 feet over level ground, using RHBH throws and the occasional rollers. I have no forehand and no tomahawk, so I really struggle on shots calling for a hard right turn. Most of my discs have a negative turn. My normal driver is a Katana or Mamba. My course average is about +7, with my best round +1.

Poison Oak at 18 (long) basket: The leaves are all gone now, but the branches can be incredibly toxic, as my poor legs discovered. When the basket is just above the hill, there is PO at the base of the trees to either side of the basket, right. This is usually more prominent at the farthest tree. There is also some down in the creek - it's mostly cut down, but be wary of any sticks or branches sticking up out of the ground.

Hole 1: Pretty straight-forward slight uphill shot. This seems to play better to the left to avoid the trees.

Hole2: Very short, and often a birdie. The sharp hill to the right of the basket will cause errant throws to roll downhill. On occasion, I will use a roller here if it's windy: the predominant wind stands the disc up and it rolls up under the basket. Beware the disc-eating metal sculpture to the right of the tee.

Hole 3: I've tried this two ways. The first is an anheyser through the opening straight ahead, which usually lands near the concrete chess board and makes for a long birdie opp. The second is a heyser to the right of the large tree in front. The second strategy often puts more trees in the way.

Hole 4: The downhill to the left will often carry the disc too far for a bird. I try to throw low and close to the fence on the right and have a birdie opp about 20 percent of the time. On occasion, I will throw a roller here when it's windy and the grass is short. The wind holds the disc line toward the basket.

Hole 5: I play the short tee here, as my drives from the top never make it to the grass. Pretty straight-forward, playing straight and/or right to avoid the thick treeline along the road. Very tough par 3 for someone with my distance.

Hole 6: Much easier since they pulled the eucalyptus tree. A straight shot to the basket will often skip closer. The approach needs to stick or it will skitter down the hill, and the more right you are on the tee shot, the more the disc will slip downhill. Still, easy par.

Hole 7: As the weeds grow up in the spring, this hole becomes progressively more difficult: be sure to mark specifically where it lands from the tee. Playing left takes a lot of the hill out for the approach shot. If there is any wind at all, it's going to affect the approach, and lift the disc higher and past the basket. Easy par when calm; tough when windy.

Hole 8: What a lovely spot! I play this tee shot as low and as far to the right as possible, often with a little anheyser. If it's windy, you'll get a great lift and a turn to the basket. Too much anheyser, and the wind will put you in the garden, over the fence. If you end up left, on the hill above the pin and with the trees in play, the second shot will play 30-60 feet longer than expected due to downhill and wind. I like a very low heyser here as a second shot, though it runs the risk of a nasty downhill roll. Easy par hole. (two lost discs here, though I'm sure one was lifted by a trio of gang-banger wannabees)

Hole 9: Very short and very birdie-able. I use a putter or a mid, depending on the wind, and aim at the right edge of the bushes right of the basket. A low shot will rise a little, and then sweep down and skip to the basket. A longer shot that goes into the gully or the trees to the left will make this hole very tough.

Hole 10: The forest hole... I use a roller here, acting on the theory that a vertical disc has less chance of hitting a tree than a horizontal one. This is an easy par or bird, depending on the distance of the tee shot. My best rollers land out on the right below the #1 basket, and there's a clear shot to the basket from there. I'm working on a low anheyser tee shot that hits the open area forward and right, and then skips to the basket.

Hole 11: Uphills are difficult for me. I try to get as close to the trees as possible, and then try to punch a disc through. An errant tee shot to the right of the eucalyptus tree will reveal a narrow channel up to the basket. This is a pretty easy par, depending on the second shot.

Hole 12: This is the most difficult hole on the course for me. The narrow opening and the hill are both challenges. I use a driver on first and second shots, and have managed a par here perhaps a dozen times.

Hole 13: Very narrow opening on this one, and the scars on the trees are a testament to haphazard tee shots. I like a lower trajectory as close to the right side as possible, to avoid going OB. The wind will lift the disc before it fades and I'm normally in a good spot for par, and sometimes bird. The hole plays a lot easier with the removal of one large tree. Going OB left or over the fence may mean a lost disc.

Hole 14: I just try to get past the trees on the first shot, and if I do, this is usually a par. I play right and let the disc thread the needle and land to the left. I'm working on an anheyser to come in from the left since it's more open to that side. In the past, I've hurled a roller toward the opening to the left, and that worked well until I got more control off the tee.

Hole 15: I aim a little left and let the fade drop me close enough for a solid approach shot and a par. The removal of the eucalyptus in mid fairway and the palm tree to the right makes this hole a lot easier.
For a challenge, return to the teebox after finishing and play down the hill to the small strip of dirt (and two trees) where the Aces placed a temporary hole for a recent championship. Anything past the rear sidewalk is OB - this is a fun shot to make before heading to the next tee.

Hole 16: One of the pros recently said this is a legit par 4, regardless of what the signs say. I play the tee shot just left of the eucalyptus at the base of the hill. A second shot gets me up the hill a ways, and a third will get me close enough for a bogie. I really feel beginners should play this as a 4 instead of a 3.

Hole 17: Long tee: Play a straight disc low and over the bridge, and it will fade inbounds past the orange OB fence and the mandos. The second shot will be a steep heyser around all the trees, or the rare forehand shot (I really am lousy at this.) The removal of the bushes in front of the pin makes this a much easier hole, though it's still a very tough par for me.
Short tee: I fire straight at the basket and the disc will fade over by the big oak tree. Easier par.

Hole 18: Short tee: easy par, if you avoid the overhanging tree and the basket is forward. Often a bird.
Long tee (brand new): I love this placement! The tee puts two more trees into play, plus the BT park sign. A low, straight shot will bypass all the obstacles, and the fade will often hit the hill on the left and roll the disc closer to the basket. Some shots more to the right (before the weeds come up in the spring) will skip left, right up to the basket.

needs signage

2-4    1/2/2013   1/2/2013
Review By: adazm
Pros: def fun course! great elevation change.
challenging to shoot under par for sure.
Cons: no signage means a first time player there wil be guaranted to get lost :(.
no distance markers :(
maps should be more readily available.
Other Thoughts: tons of potential once the course gets worked in.

5+    12/18/2012   12/19/2012
Review By: DocHaole
Pros: - The north San Diego guys have done it again. Another quality course that offers a lot of fun and a good degree of difficulty.

- Elevation change: From start to finish the hills come into play on this course. Holes 3 and 4 offer some downhill open shots, but it seems like there are more uphill shots than downhill. Which is a pro because it makes the holes play longer.

- Overall couse design is solid, it makes you use every shot in the bag to get the best score. I have found myself resorting to overhand shots and every get-out-of-trouble shot I an to get to the basket.

- Good use of obstacles: Most holes have both early trees guarding the tee pad and late trees guarding the basket. Most holes are birdi-able but it takes a shot that clears both gaps cleanly.

- Difficulty: this course can be very punishing if you are not on your game throwing accurately. The distances are reachable allowing most players the opportunity to score well, but the course can become punishing very fast if you go off the fairway, or hit an early tree.

- On the whole the course is a great challenge and a lot of fun. It offers good distance and gives you a chance to air it out but most importantly it rewards accurate shots and smart decisions. This may be my new favorite course in san diego.
Cons: - Navigation is the biggest con right now. If you are visiting the course for the first time be sure to print out the map. Or better yet find a local to tag along with. There are long gaps between holes and not much in the way of signage. It can be very frustrating without a guide.

- Holes 14 and 15 play very tightly wooded. There was a lot of gripeing about these holes during the SoCal champs with a lot of players saying they were more "luck holes". I personally kind of like them but be warned these 2 holes may ruin your round.
Other Thoughts: Thanks for all the work put in by the course designers and workers to put in a new quality course in north san diego. I fell in love with this course the first time I played it. It seems like a course where you could shoot a 5 down one day, then shoot 5 over the next day.

This course is a great addition to the area and is one I plan on visiting any time I'm in the area.

Hills and Navigation

5+    11/24/2012   11/25/2012
Review By: Ocelotl
Pros: Parking/Directions- Big park with lots of parking, you might want to be strategic with where you park but you should never lack a space, and easy to find a quick drive from the freeway.
Shot Variety- Good mix of up hill, downhill, left, right, wide open, wooded, pretty much a little of everything. The alt T locations they use for tourneys can also lend ALOT of length to the course if you want to bomb a few holes.
Double Gap Holes- a few of the holes require you to throw through a gap, across a field and through another gap, for me placement shots like this are very entertaining. Hole 8 is my favorite of the group, great turnover shot with my fuse.
Exercise- With all of the hill climbing here walking 18 is a pretty good workout, with DG as my only real exercise this is a real bonus.
Hole 5- A short hole that plays through a very tight creek with a few VERY tight lines available. I could throw 10-20 discs on this trying to get through, very entertaining.
Cons: Navigation! - There are a few gaps between holes that really left me confused the first time I was out here by myself, 2-3, 17-18 are the worst but there are a number of other poor spots.
Signage- there are tee markers but no real signs of any kind, this would really help with the Nav. issues as well as giving golfers a little more info on each hole.
Other Thoughts: My biggest takeaway from playing here is parking in the lot towards the end of hole 17 is the way to go. A bit of a walk to start your round at 18 but means you dont have an awkward long walk at the end of your round.

Also probably not a place to take beginners, playing behind a group of folks on their second or third time out, the creek holes were a mess for them, literally 10 throws later they had given up and walked to the next hole.

5+    11/2/2012   11/3/2012
Review By: BZoods
Pros: This course has a lot going for it. It's a nice change of pace as compared to the other San Diego courses. Many of the holes are challenging, but not to a point that they become frustrating. The only holes that I've ever ran into other park users more than once are 7 and 8. Other than that, the course does a good job of staying away from other park users.
Many uphill shots, which create for longer feeling throws.
Extremely fair course, in my opinion. It rewards good shots, but punishes bad ones as well.
Cons: Almost no signage, and can be difficult to navigate if you're new to the course.
Some more benches and trashcans would be nice, as well.
Not the best flow of the course. Starting at hole 1 will leave you with a long walk between 17 and 18 at the end of your round. There's a few alternate starting spots that could create better flow (11,12,14,16,17 are all pretty good holes to start on)
Other Thoughts: Some reviewers seem to think this is a lefty leaning course, but I just don't see it. On many of the holes that are "lefty" holes, there's still great lines for RHBH throwers (not necessarily turnover shots, either)

This course can wear you down. It's hilly, there's long walks between holes. It's very important to wear a good pair of shoes.

The proshop is definitely nice to have on site. Mike, TJ, and Courtney are always really helpful and they have a great selection (an earlier review said it was a small shop, but I've noticed a dramatic increase in stock in the past 10 weeks since I first visited the pro shop).

Overall, this is the best course in North County (Possibly all of San Diego county, depending on who you ask).

The most uphill throws ever!

2-4    10/13/2012   10/18/2012
Review By: nuttinbutchain
This review was updated on 12/16/2012
Pros: - Beautiful unique course. Definitely get your hiking boots ready, this course is physically demanding to walk. Alot of uphill and downhill walking keeps you on your toes. The views on this course are easily the best of the San Diego/North County area disc golf courses.
- Hole 3 is the highlight of the course for me. Its a "top of the world" type hole with such a magnificent view.
-Hole 7 is another highlight with the prettiest guarded basket of the bunch
Cons: Not many cons imo, but here are some things worth mentioning:
- I would start on hole 18 as hole 1, since its by the parking lot and end with hole 17 as your last hole. Not sure why they labeled the course this way, but starting on hole18 will make sense to you if you look at the course map
- the most uphill throws I've ever thrown on a course. this wouldn't be bad if you were rewarded with more downhill throws.
- no signage yet, but hopefully that gets installed soon
Other Thoughts: - not a beginner friendly course (not necessarily a con, but fyi)
- I'd really like to give this 3.75, but you can't give that rating on dgcoursereview. I've only played it once, but it is such a beautiful and challenging course and I can't wait to try it again.
- No signs, just posts. I recommend you play with someone who knows the course or you bring a map (hole 10 on the map seems inaccurate to me...its at the bottom of the hill but the map implies its next to basket 9 which is at the top of the hill, the rest of the map is fairly accurate otherwise).
- I'd also avoid going on an extremely hot day because walking this course is demanding
----------------------------------------------------------------
-Now that I've played this course a couple of times, I still feel this may very well be the best course in the San Diego area overall; beautiful views, unique challenges, and not overly crowded. I still would not recommend bringing a beginner out here to learn though, it is quite a challenging course (in a good way). I throw both RHBH and RHFH and noticed I favored throwing my RHFH alot; alot of the course is uphill throws and sometimes the hills are so steep that your footing almost demands a FH throw, especially if you get stuck on a hill with lots of woods and little space to work with. Holes 9 and 11 are the steep hills to watch out for, especially on hole 9; one bad landing and you can get the "roll of death" towards the bottom of the hill.
-Another thing I noticed is that if you park in the main parking lot by the basketball courts, you may want to start at either holes 16 or 17 as your first hole.
Once Brengle gets some signage, I'll give this course a 4.

Not a walk in the park

1    9/8/2012   9/8/2012
Review By: jtrod
Pros: Some of the earlier reviews detailed the course very nicely
Very scenic and some challenging shots
"Free"
Pro Shop near hole 17
Several holes for sidearm or left handers
Since its in a regular park, you could bring the family to picnic while you play
Cons: Make sure you bring a "large" water bottle, there isn't many places close to the course to get water.
Some of the tee pads are very small.
Due to the terrain, disc golf carts are not recommended
Other Thoughts: When the signs are installed the course will deserve a higher rating. Perhaps they should change the numbers of the baskets and start hole 1 near a parking lot.