Vista, CA
Brengle Terrace Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: Discette Hole #5 (Taken 11/2012)
3 / 213ft.   3 / 213ft.   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Hole # 8 is Beautiful But 8 Uphill Throws Was Too Much!

1    3/31/2014   4/1/2014
Pros: Brengle Terrace Park is a large sprawling park which seems to be an ideal terrain on which to build a disc golf course. The overall hilly topography of this park should provide many opportunities for epic and enjoyable downhill throws. Instead I found myself walking down hills so I could throw up the next hill. It should be the other way around. There were 8 and possibly 9 holes which had you throwing uphill. Besides the truly EPIC # 8, the enjoyable # 9 and then #'s 10 and 13, there wern't any other even slight downhill throws. The course lacks really great or IMO memorable holes here.

About the afore-mentioned # 8. This hole belongs on most any list of really great. beautiful disc golf holes. It has the whole package! First the tee pad is especially well built and constructed and is set in a lovely little area w/boulders and branches. Then the view to the basket, maybe 300' down below you is really quite lovely, much like a sculptured golf hole. I'd easily place this hole on my top 18 favorite holes list, that from the almost 600 courses I've played.

The new signs are in. They're lovely carved wooden ones but give no pertinent information. No distance or map. They do have the sponsors name on them. I worry about what they'll look like in a year or two after the local teen population has their way with them. I hope I'm wrong!

Pretty view of the surrounding hills area from # 1 pad.

Course ends right near the parking lot where you started.

I liked the basket placement of # 12 up in the rocks.

# 13 was a great little downhill flick shot. Too bad, I don't have that shot in my aresenol. Part of the reason I'm such a mediorce player.
Cons: Long walkout after # 4.
Fairly long walkout after # 16.
Tee signs are pretty but contain no info.
I'm afraid signs will get trashed by vandals.
While I did appreciate helpful navigational aids, I still stumbled about after #2 and #14.
Too many uphill throws.
Other Thoughts: Note to San Diego Aces: I can see much love and work had gone into this course. Can I suggest one simple, cheap helpful improvement? How about hanging a next tee sign w/an arrow on the bottom of the baskets? Or maybe painting one rung of the basket which points to the next tee? Either would have helped me considerably.

But kudos on # 8. That is really the gem of this course and there are very few holes anywhere in the country which measure up with it, in terms to it's overall disc golf beauty. Great job there!

To Be Continued…

1    10/29/2013   11/1/2013
Review By: Magiken
Pros:
• After the first few holes, you get to some pretty varied shot selections
• Nice views/surroundings
• Tees are great (rubber mat variety)
• Baskets are fine
• Course is easy to find
• Water/restrooms
• Great park with lots of amenities
Cons:
• Where are the stinking signs?!?!?
• Not easy to navigate
• People/park goers are in play in a few spots
• One or two shots might be a bit unfair
Tips:
• Ignore course maps I, II, and III in the Links section (which I would have loved to have known ahead of time)
• When you pull in the parking lot, go right, drive a bit, and look left up the hill for the silver "AMERICA" sign. Holes 1 and 2 are there.
• Bring some good climbing shoes
• Be aware that this appears to a prime spot for canoodling. I must've passed at least 4 couples on my trek doing some form of heavy petting. Awkward…

Random Thoughts:
This will be an unfinished review as I'm pretty sure I was playing an unfinished course, because right now there are only hole number markers. No maps. No signs. No luck finding your way around, and this is a huge park, with some lengthy transitions between holes. The maps that are linked can kind of get you headed in the right direction, but I basically had to wander around to find the next hole, and in the hilly/rocky section, that sucked. Now that I've ranted… I do like the variety of holes here. Granted it's a little slow starting as the first 5-7 holes are fairly straightforward and not terribly difficult. Things change on #8, which incidentally is one of the coolest tee pad locations I've ever seen. Bravo on that one. But that's where the fun starts. Just about every hole after that up until maybe 18 has some major tree action and some serious risk/reward shot making. I mentioned that a couple holes might be unfair because I really didn't see any attack angle to the shot. It just seemed like the plan was to huck it into the trees and hope, but that's not a huge deal to me really. I'm not the type that demands every hole be aceable, or even birdieable. So overall I was not disappointed in the variety of shots presented to me.

Bottom Line:
I'll have to come back to see how this course finishes up but I do think it's headed in the right direction. It's a very nice park with tons of potential that looks like it will be taken advantage of. I'm looking forward to a return visit, that is, when the signs are done….and the map.

1    9/1/2013   9/2/2013
Review By: tdkrizenshine
Pros: Incredible variety: wooded, open, technical, bombs, uphills, downhills, sideslopes, fallaways, seriously good exercise!
Cons: Signage is as weak as it gets! No info whatsoever.
Other Thoughts: This is very challenging course yet very fun. You will work up a serious sweat hiking up and down the peak as holes 6-16 flow up and down and around the hill. This course is like a more challenging Morley with much more elevation. Well worth the effort!

A Geographical Oddity

2-4    6/15/2013   6/17/2013
Review By: tapirmusic
Pros: The Pros of this course are that it seems not to be crowded and there is no entry fee, so free is always appreciated!
Cons: It seems like this entire course is uphill, which makes it a very poor design. There are not markers pointing to the next hole, nor are there maps on the tee boxes, so it can become very confusing to new players.
Other Thoughts: I will not play this course again.

Bringin' it at Brengle

1    5/29/2013   5/29/2013
Review By: elton807
Pros: Amazing variety of elevation, distance, wooded/open, and unique looks to each hole. Nice tee pads, and very challenging basket locations.
Cons: No distance signage. Holes 12-15 are certainly not there right now, due to tree cutting project. I obviously didn't get to play them, but I imaging these holes were extremely tough before the trim job.
Other Thoughts: This is really my kind of course. My favorite holes are: 3-5, 7-9, 16 & 17.
=====================
Uniqueness: A (quite a rural feel to a park in the middle of hilly suburbia; very interesting layout)
Difficulty: A (hole 9 & 11 basket locations are really elevated & tough; holes 5, 12-15 have many trees to contend with)
Fun Factor: A (the downhill tee shots on 3 & 4 are really fun & open, the front 9 is one of my favorites)
Aesthetics: A- (rugged in the woods; mowed grass in the open areas)
----------------------
Overall: A

bring you hiking boots

1    5/1/2013   5/1/2013
Review By: hyper_hippo18
Pros: -Very good variety of throws to be used
-pretty decent tee pads
-pro shop
-parking is not an issue
Cons: -pretty wooded
-lots of walking up and down (im not being lazy, but the heat may have been a factor)
-needs to be more signs for tees and pin locations
-can get hot
Other Thoughts: When you throw a good throw, it feels like you're a pro. In contrast, if u mess up, it lets you get creative to save par. Lots of walking, but distance can be cut down by getting a map in the pro shop or in the main offices. There are lots of chances to perfect your throws, so get ready to learn. Have fun!

Brengle Terrace is so much fun

5+    2/2/2013   2/2/2013
Review By: JasonVista
This review was updated on 2/9/2013
Pros: The course is extremely challenging and requires every throw and disc in your bag.
It offers a really good work out aside from a great DG experience. There are elevation changes on most holes. At times it feels like a very tough hike.
First time players here may feel the course is too tough or unfair, but I don't think it should be easy the first time. This course is never easy but you can figure a lot of things out each round you play.
The wind always comes into play sometimes subtly and sometimes not so subtly.
I really love everything about this course, especially it's proximity to my home.
The pro shop is great! Well stocked! Great prices! And the best service. Kinetic has their stuff together. Mike is incredibly helpful both with disc selection and on course advice. :-)
The course is not crowded with golfers most of the time, bigger groups are super nice about playing through.
Park goers rarely come into play, even on the weekends, and always move when asked nicely.

Cons: The course is young and like some of the other reviews state, there is some poison oak about on a few holes, and looks like fresh stinging nettles on a few holes.
The course is only difficult to navigate the 1st time through, every round there after you'll know, and you'll love it.
Super long downhill holes, as rejected by the city, would have been a lot of fun.
Other Thoughts: I just started disc golfing again over the last 4 months once I discovered this course. Been playing every day. Aside from here I've played Pasadena, La mirada, Chino, Morely, sylmar, and the course by Dodger stadium in this time period. Because of the mix of difficulties at Brengle terrace, I would say it is as hard to score well as any of the other courses, and more so in some cases. I'm averaging +5 from mostly the back tees... and scored better at most of the other courses in far fewer rounds.

Beginner's Guide

5+    1/23/2013   1/23/2013
Review By: mistletoe33
This review was updated on 11/27/2013
Other Thoughts: A Beginner's Guide to Brengle, updated after new layout: 11-27-13

I have been playing for three years. I've played Brengle more than 250 times, and have developed some savvy that might help others with similar ability levels. Not a long thrower, my average tee shots are 200-250 feet over level ground, using RHBH throws and the occasional rollers. I have no forehand and no tomahawk, so I really struggle on shots calling for a hard right turn. Most of my discs have a negative turn. My normal driver is a Katana or Mamba. My course average is about +7, with my best round +1.

Poison Oak at 18 (long) basket: The leaves are all gone now, but the branches can be incredibly toxic, as my poor legs discovered. When the basket is just above the hill, there is PO at the base of the trees to either side of the basket, right. This is usually more prominent at the farthest tree. There is also some down in the creek - it's mostly cut down, but be wary of any sticks or branches sticking up out of the ground.

Hole 1: Pretty straight-forward slight uphill shot. This seems to play better to the left to avoid the trees.

Hole2: Very short, and often a birdie. The sharp hill to the right of the basket will cause errant throws to roll downhill. On occasion, I will use a roller here if it's windy: the predominant wind stands the disc up and it rolls up under the basket. Beware the disc-eating metal sculpture to the right of the tee.

Hole 3: I've tried this two ways. The first is an anheyser through the opening straight ahead, which usually lands near the concrete chess board and makes for a long birdie opp. The second is a heyser to the right of the large tree in front. The second strategy often puts more trees in the way.

Hole 4: The downhill to the left will often carry the disc too far for a bird. I try to throw low and close to the fence on the right and have a birdie opp about 20 percent of the time. On occasion, I will throw a roller here when it's windy and the grass is short. The wind holds the disc line toward the basket.

Hole 5: I play the short tee here, as my drives from the top never make it to the grass. Pretty straight-forward, playing straight and/or right to avoid the thick treeline along the road. Very tough par 3 for someone with my distance.

Hole 6: Much easier since they pulled the eucalyptus tree. A straight shot to the basket will often skip closer. The approach needs to stick or it will skitter down the hill, and the more right you are on the tee shot, the more the disc will slip downhill. Still, easy par.

Hole 7: As the weeds grow up in the spring, this hole becomes progressively more difficult: be sure to mark specifically where it lands from the tee. Playing left takes a lot of the hill out for the approach shot. If there is any wind at all, it's going to affect the approach, and lift the disc higher and past the basket. Easy par when calm; tough when windy.

Hole 8: What a lovely spot! I play this tee shot as low and as far to the right as possible, often with a little anheyser. If it's windy, you'll get a great lift and a turn to the basket. Too much anheyser, and the wind will put you in the garden, over the fence. If you end up left, on the hill above the pin and with the trees in play, the second shot will play 30-60 feet longer than expected due to downhill and wind. I like a very low heyser here as a second shot, though it runs the risk of a nasty downhill roll. Easy par hole. (two lost discs here, though I'm sure one was lifted by a trio of gang-banger wannabees)

Hole 9: Very short and very birdie-able. I use a putter or a mid, depending on the wind, and aim at the right edge of the bushes right of the basket. A low shot will rise a little, and then sweep down and skip to the basket. A longer shot that goes into the gully or the trees to the left will make this hole very tough.

Hole 10: The forest hole… I use a roller here, acting on the theory that a vertical disc has less chance of hitting a tree than a horizontal one. This is an easy par or bird, depending on the distance of the tee shot. My best rollers land out on the right below the #1 basket, and there's a clear shot to the basket from there. I'm working on a low anheyser tee shot that hits the open area forward and right, and then skips to the basket.

Hole 11: Uphills are difficult for me. I try to get as close to the trees as possible, and then try to punch a disc through. An errant tee shot to the right of the eucalyptus tree will reveal a narrow channel up to the basket. This is a pretty easy par, depending on the second shot.

Hole 12: This is the most difficult hole on the course for me. The narrow opening and the hill are both challenges. I use a driver on first and second shots, and have managed a par here perhaps a dozen times.

Hole 13: Very narrow opening on this one, and the scars on the trees are a testament to haphazard tee shots. I like a lower trajectory as close to the right side as possible, to avoid going OB. The wind will lift the disc before it fades and I'm normally in a good spot for par, and sometimes bird. The hole plays a lot easier with the removal of one large tree. Going OB left or over the fence may mean a lost disc.

Hole 14: I just try to get past the trees on the first shot, and if I do, this is usually a par. I play right and let the disc thread the needle and land to the left. I'm working on an anheyser to come in from the left since it's more open to that side. In the past, I've hurled a roller toward the opening to the left, and that worked well until I got more control off the tee.

Hole 15: I aim a little left and let the fade drop me close enough for a solid approach shot and a par. The removal of the eucalyptus in mid fairway and the palm tree to the right makes this hole a lot easier.
For a challenge, return to the teebox after finishing and play down the hill to the small strip of dirt (and two trees) where the Aces placed a temporary hole for a recent championship. Anything past the rear sidewalk is OB - this is a fun shot to make before heading to the next tee.

Hole 16: One of the pros recently said this is a legit par 4, regardless of what the signs say. I play the tee shot just left of the eucalyptus at the base of the hill. A second shot gets me up the hill a ways, and a third will get me close enough for a bogie. I really feel beginners should play this as a 4 instead of a 3.

Hole 17: Long tee: Play a straight disc low and over the bridge, and it will fade inbounds past the orange OB fence and the mandos. The second shot will be a steep heyser around all the trees, or the rare forehand shot (I really am lousy at this.) The removal of the bushes in front of the pin makes this a much easier hole, though it's still a very tough par for me.
Short tee: I fire straight at the basket and the disc will fade over by the big oak tree. Easier par.

Hole 18: Short tee: easy par, if you avoid the overhanging tree and the basket is forward. Often a bird.
Long tee (brand new): I love this placement! The tee puts two more trees into play, plus the BT park sign. A low, straight shot will bypass all the obstacles, and the fade will often hit the hill on the left and roll the disc closer to the basket. Some shots more to the right (before the weeds come up in the spring) will skip left, right up to the basket.

needs signage

2-4    1/2/2013   1/2/2013
Review By: adazm
Pros: def fun course! great elevation change.
challenging to shoot under par for sure.
Cons: no signage means a first time player there wil be guaranted to get lost :(.
no distance markers :(
maps should be more readily available.
Other Thoughts: tons of potential once the course gets worked in.

5+    12/18/2012   12/19/2012
Review By: DocHaole
Pros: - The north San Diego guys have done it again. Another quality course that offers a lot of fun and a good degree of difficulty.

- Elevation change: From start to finish the hills come into play on this course. Holes 3 and 4 offer some downhill open shots, but it seems like there are more uphill shots than downhill. Which is a pro because it makes the holes play longer.

- Overall couse design is solid, it makes you use every shot in the bag to get the best score. I have found myself resorting to overhand shots and every get-out-of-trouble shot I an to get to the basket.

- Good use of obstacles: Most holes have both early trees guarding the tee pad and late trees guarding the basket. Most holes are birdi-able but it takes a shot that clears both gaps cleanly.

- Difficulty: this course can be very punishing if you are not on your game throwing accurately. The distances are reachable allowing most players the opportunity to score well, but the course can become punishing very fast if you go off the fairway, or hit an early tree.

- On the whole the course is a great challenge and a lot of fun. It offers good distance and gives you a chance to air it out but most importantly it rewards accurate shots and smart decisions. This may be my new favorite course in san diego.
Cons: - Navigation is the biggest con right now. If you are visiting the course for the first time be sure to print out the map. Or better yet find a local to tag along with. There are long gaps between holes and not much in the way of signage. It can be very frustrating without a guide.

- Holes 14 and 15 play very tightly wooded. There was a lot of gripeing about these holes during the SoCal champs with a lot of players saying they were more "luck holes". I personally kind of like them but be warned these 2 holes may ruin your round.
Other Thoughts: Thanks for all the work put in by the course designers and workers to put in a new quality course in north san diego. I fell in love with this course the first time I played it. It seems like a course where you could shoot a 5 down one day, then shoot 5 over the next day.

This course is a great addition to the area and is one I plan on visiting any time I'm in the area.