Vista, CA
Brengle Terrace Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: Discette Hole #3 (Taken 11/2012)
3 / 316ft.   3 / 316ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #3 Approach

< Prev 1 2 3
Fun course, lots of elevation.

1    12/23/2014   12/23/2014
Review By: NSDallin
Pros: Good teepads and quite a few "go this way" signs, especially when its a far distance. I wouldnt have known how to get from 7 to 8 if there wasnt a little sign that said "walk across the road to the left of the gazebo". Those "this way" signs on certain holes were very nice.
- Great use of the elevation and distance of the perimeter of the park.
-nice innova baskets.
- Friendly locals that helped me find where hole 1 was and navigate the course the few times i got lost.
- Nice array of shots needed.
Cons: -The layout has been changed and a lot of the maps online are of the old layout.
- a lot of holes have far walks between them and were very disconnected. especially holes 4 to 5, 7 to 8, and 16 to 17.
-Hole 4 often times has people just 50-100 feet to the left of the basket in danger if you arnt accurate with your drive.
- No distance or map on the teesigns. Just a sponsor name and a hole number.

Other Thoughts: This is a fun course with good basket and pads, that runs around the perimeter of a park with gardens and walkways in the middle of the park. The course is very well taken care of and is loved by the locals i can tell. The few times i got turned around or lost i could just holler a question to sometime passing by and they were happy to guide me to my next hole. Very nice locals. The course is split into a few sections. Holes 1-4 are in one area, holes 5-7 are another pocket, holes 8-16 all connect well together, and holes 17 and 18 are a pair. as long as you can find your way between holes 4-5, 7-8, and 16-17 this course is easy to navigate and play in a short amount of time. Highly recommended. It demands every kind of shot. left, right, and straight shots are all here. a few blind holes, and a lot of elevation. Its a gem.

Varied Terrain

5+    8/26/2014   8/29/2014
Review By: endermetal
Pros: Brengle Terrace Disc Golf Course is set up around a public park. The course makes very good use of the land and avoids the major pedestrian walkways. I first played here a month ago, and the layout seems to have been improved on from its previous incarnation. The course plays in such a way that very few of the fairways cross one another. Overall great design and layout.

Several of the holes are unique and offer a different challenge. Indeed, the variety of holes is quite impressive: tight, wooded and technical; open fairways with minimal hazards; epic downhills and everything in between. The course does not seem to be heavily favored to any one particular throwing style, and a variety of shots may be needed. Definitely the single most distinguishing factor--and what I found to be most impressive--is the amount of elevation change and the variety of terrain this course offers. Some of the views are also quite spectacular, which I would partially attribute to the maintenance of the course; the trees are well trimmed and the grass is always cut and green.

The tee pads and baskets are in good condition. The tee pads are mostly of the rubberized variety, and I didn't see much deterioration or unevenness. Trash cans are located throughout the course

There is a refrigerated drinking fountain in the indoor sports building to the left of hole 3, which is a huge bonus as it can get quite hot during the summer.

The course is not crowded at all, and generally the disc golfers you run into are friendly and will let faster groups play through.
Cons: The tee signs do not contain any information other than the hole number. This can prove to be frustrating at times if there are OB areas, unseen hazards, etc.,

While the overall layout of the course makes sense by going in a clockwise direction around the amphitheater, there are a couple of holes that are difficult to find. This is exacerbated by the fact that there is no information on the tee signs. There are a couple of separate signs posted on fences that give a written description of where the next hole is located, but having this information on a tee sign depicted by a graphic would be more helpful. After playing the course once or twice, this becomes a non issue though.

I do not recall benches on any of the holes, although this is not a huge negative for me as I'm somewhat young and in decent shape. I could see this being a bigger issue for folks that need to frequently sit down.

The number of uphill throws is slightly more than I would prefer. The course is more or less divided equally into 1/3 uphill, 1/3 downhill, and 1/3 level shots.
Other Thoughts: Brengle is a newer course, and I applaud the designers and the amount of effort that went into constructing it. I believe the course is still unfinished and, with time, could potentially become the premier disc golf course in San Diego County.

This course provides a very PHYSICAL workout--you will constantly be climbing up multiple hills. I personally found this to be a positive as I enjoy doing cardio. Others may be deterred from playing here for the very same reason.

I took a look at the photos of the old layout, and was really interested in 14 and 15. It would be nice if they could bring those back somehow and remove the somewhat mundane 6 and 7 holes.

The course really starts to come into its own beginning with hole 8. Not that the first 7 holes are bad, they're just not as good as some of the latter holes. My personal favorite is 10, which is this neat little secluded wooded tunnel that requires precision control to get in range for a birdie. Other standout holes would be 8, 9, 13, and 15.

During my first play through, I thought hole 5 was going to be located beyond the baseball fields to the left where there is a densely wooded canyon. However, I quickly found out no holes were located here and hole 5 was in the opposite direction. I wish some holes would be placed here. The canyon provides a truly awesome jungle atmosphere, and would offer a unique experience in the disc golf world--utilizing this part of the park would only enhance the course and increase its reputation of offering interesting and varied environments. I understand making this a reality would require a ton of work, as several plants would need to be removed (and may prove to be illegal if it's a protected area). I could also see this as possibly interrupting the flow of the course without modifications. If holes were to be placed here, I see a few possible solutions to keeping the course at 18 holes:

• Remove holes 1 and 4 and start the course at hole 2
• Remove holes 6 and 7 (these were the least memorable holes of the entire course for me)

Brengle Terrace is a very enjoyable course that every serious disc golfer in San Diego should check out. I find myself playing here and at Kit Carson often to avoid the crowds at Morley Field.

Brengle - the best of SD

5+    12/21/2013   5/20/2014
Review By: The_Warwolf
This review was updated on 5/26/2014
Pros: This course really gives you a chance to pull out every shot in your bag. It's set in a beautiful park and somehow manages to avoid the majority of park goers.

UPDATE: New signage has been added to each hole and they've put up some indicators to point toward the next pad. Very helpful.

The course is challenging and a few of the holes you have to be somewhat conservative and accept that par is a good score. The guys over at Kinetic and SD Aces have done a great job refining the layout and it presented a great tourney course for the SD Open.

There's a pro shop with some really great people who carry a decent selection of discs and gear.

Because there is hardly ever a crowd I'd rate this one higher than Morley, of course I also used to live 10min from the park. I think Kit Carson gets a few too many park goers to compare.
Cons: If it's your first time out there you might get lost between 11 and 12 or finding your way through 13-16, although like anywhere else once you've seen each hole they're not as hard to find.
Other Thoughts: If you're into the craft beer scene SD North County is where it's at. Stop by Mother Earth for a beer after the round (my personal favorite micro-brew).

Also, if you recall (from the old layout) holes 14 and 15 those were very challenging and a lot of fun, I definitely miss those holes.

Hole # 8 is Beautiful But 8 Uphill Throws Was Too Much!

1    3/31/2014   4/1/2014
Pros: Brengle Terrace Park is a large sprawling park which seems to be an ideal terrain on which to build a disc golf course. The overall hilly topography of this park should provide many opportunities for epic and enjoyable downhill throws. Instead I found myself walking down hills so I could throw up the next hill. It should be the other way around. There were 8 and possibly 9 holes which had you throwing uphill. Besides the truly EPIC # 8, the enjoyable # 9 and then #'s 10 and 13, there wern't any other even slight downhill throws. The course lacks really great or IMO memorable holes here.

About the afore-mentioned # 8. This hole belongs on most any list of really great. beautiful disc golf holes. It has the whole package! First the tee pad is especially well built and constructed and is set in a lovely little area w/boulders and branches. Then the view to the basket, maybe 300' down below you is really quite lovely, much like a sculptured golf hole. I'd easily place this hole on my top 18 favorite holes list, that from the almost 600 courses I've played.

The new signs are in. They're lovely carved wooden ones but give no pertinent information. No distance or map. They do have the sponsors name on them. I worry about what they'll look like in a year or two after the local teen population has their way with them. I hope I'm wrong!

Pretty view of the surrounding hills area from # 1 pad.

Course ends right near the parking lot where you started.

I liked the basket placement of # 12 up in the rocks.

# 13 was a great little downhill flick shot. Too bad, I don't have that shot in my aresenol. Part of the reason I'm such a mediorce player.
Cons: Long walkout after # 4.
Fairly long walkout after # 16.
Tee signs are pretty but contain no info.
I'm afraid signs will get trashed by vandals.
While I did appreciate helpful navigational aids, I still stumbled about after #2 and #14.
Too many uphill throws.
Other Thoughts: Note to San Diego Aces: I can see much love and work had gone into this course. Can I suggest one simple, cheap helpful improvement? How about hanging a next tee sign w/an arrow on the bottom of the baskets? Or maybe painting one rung of the basket which points to the next tee? Either would have helped me considerably.

But kudos on # 8. That is really the gem of this course and there are very few holes anywhere in the country which measure up with it, in terms to it's overall disc golf beauty. Great job there!

To Be Continued…

1    10/29/2013   11/1/2013
Review By: Magiken
Pros:
• After the first few holes, you get to some pretty varied shot selections
• Nice views/surroundings
• Tees are great (rubber mat variety)
• Baskets are fine
• Course is easy to find
• Water/restrooms
• Great park with lots of amenities
Cons:
• Where are the stinking signs?!?!?
• Not easy to navigate
• People/park goers are in play in a few spots
• One or two shots might be a bit unfair
Tips:
• Ignore course maps I, II, and III in the Links section (which I would have loved to have known ahead of time)
• When you pull in the parking lot, go right, drive a bit, and look left up the hill for the silver "AMERICA" sign. Holes 1 and 2 are there.
• Bring some good climbing shoes
• Be aware that this appears to a prime spot for canoodling. I must've passed at least 4 couples on my trek doing some form of heavy petting. Awkward…

Random Thoughts:
This will be an unfinished review as I'm pretty sure I was playing an unfinished course, because right now there are only hole number markers. No maps. No signs. No luck finding your way around, and this is a huge park, with some lengthy transitions between holes. The maps that are linked can kind of get you headed in the right direction, but I basically had to wander around to find the next hole, and in the hilly/rocky section, that sucked. Now that I've ranted… I do like the variety of holes here. Granted it's a little slow starting as the first 5-7 holes are fairly straightforward and not terribly difficult. Things change on #8, which incidentally is one of the coolest tee pad locations I've ever seen. Bravo on that one. But that's where the fun starts. Just about every hole after that up until maybe 18 has some major tree action and some serious risk/reward shot making. I mentioned that a couple holes might be unfair because I really didn't see any attack angle to the shot. It just seemed like the plan was to huck it into the trees and hope, but that's not a huge deal to me really. I'm not the type that demands every hole be aceable, or even birdieable. So overall I was not disappointed in the variety of shots presented to me.

Bottom Line:
I'll have to come back to see how this course finishes up but I do think it's headed in the right direction. It's a very nice park with tons of potential that looks like it will be taken advantage of. I'm looking forward to a return visit, that is, when the signs are done….and the map.

1    9/1/2013   9/2/2013
Review By: tdkrizenshine
Pros: Incredible variety: wooded, open, technical, bombs, uphills, downhills, sideslopes, fallaways, seriously good exercise!
Cons: Signage is as weak as it gets! No info whatsoever.
Other Thoughts: This is very challenging course yet very fun. You will work up a serious sweat hiking up and down the peak as holes 6-16 flow up and down and around the hill. This course is like a more challenging Morley with much more elevation. Well worth the effort!

A Geographical Oddity

2-4    6/15/2013   6/17/2013
Review By: tapirmusic
Pros: The Pros of this course are that it seems not to be crowded and there is no entry fee, so free is always appreciated!
Cons: It seems like this entire course is uphill, which makes it a very poor design. There are not markers pointing to the next hole, nor are there maps on the tee boxes, so it can become very confusing to new players.
Other Thoughts: I will not play this course again.

Bringin' it at Brengle

1    5/29/2013   5/29/2013
Review By: elton807
Pros: Amazing variety of elevation, distance, wooded/open, and unique looks to each hole. Nice tee pads, and very challenging basket locations.
Cons: No distance signage. Holes 12-15 are certainly not there right now, due to tree cutting project. I obviously didn't get to play them, but I imaging these holes were extremely tough before the trim job.
Other Thoughts: This is really my kind of course. My favorite holes are: 3-5, 7-9, 16 & 17.
=====================
Uniqueness: A (quite a rural feel to a park in the middle of hilly suburbia; very interesting layout)
Difficulty: A (hole 9 & 11 basket locations are really elevated & tough; holes 5, 12-15 have many trees to contend with)
Fun Factor: A (the downhill tee shots on 3 & 4 are really fun & open, the front 9 is one of my favorites)
Aesthetics: A- (rugged in the woods; mowed grass in the open areas)
----------------------
Overall: A

bring you hiking boots

1    5/1/2013   5/1/2013
Review By: hyper_hippo18
Pros: -Very good variety of throws to be used
-pretty decent tee pads
-pro shop
-parking is not an issue
Cons: -pretty wooded
-lots of walking up and down (im not being lazy, but the heat may have been a factor)
-needs to be more signs for tees and pin locations
-can get hot
Other Thoughts: When you throw a good throw, it feels like you're a pro. In contrast, if u mess up, it lets you get creative to save par. Lots of walking, but distance can be cut down by getting a map in the pro shop or in the main offices. There are lots of chances to perfect your throws, so get ready to learn. Have fun!

Brengle Terrace is so much fun

5+    2/2/2013   2/2/2013
Review By: JasonVista
This review was updated on 2/9/2013
Pros: The course is extremely challenging and requires every throw and disc in your bag.
It offers a really good work out aside from a great DG experience. There are elevation changes on most holes. At times it feels like a very tough hike.
First time players here may feel the course is too tough or unfair, but I don't think it should be easy the first time. This course is never easy but you can figure a lot of things out each round you play.
The wind always comes into play sometimes subtly and sometimes not so subtly.
I really love everything about this course, especially it's proximity to my home.
The pro shop is great! Well stocked! Great prices! And the best service. Kinetic has their stuff together. Mike is incredibly helpful both with disc selection and on course advice. :-)
The course is not crowded with golfers most of the time, bigger groups are super nice about playing through.
Park goers rarely come into play, even on the weekends, and always move when asked nicely.

Cons: The course is young and like some of the other reviews state, there is some poison oak about on a few holes, and looks like fresh stinging nettles on a few holes.
The course is only difficult to navigate the 1st time through, every round there after you'll know, and you'll love it.
Super long downhill holes, as rejected by the city, would have been a lot of fun.
Other Thoughts: I just started disc golfing again over the last 4 months once I discovered this course. Been playing every day. Aside from here I've played Pasadena, La mirada, Chino, Morely, sylmar, and the course by Dodger stadium in this time period. Because of the mix of difficulties at Brengle terrace, I would say it is as hard to score well as any of the other courses, and more so in some cases. I'm averaging +5 from mostly the back tees... and scored better at most of the other courses in far fewer rounds.

< Prev 1 2 3