Mint Hill, NC
Mint Hill Park Share

Great 9-er!

1    3/19/2013   3/22/2013
Review By: BennettUA
Pros: What a great little 9-er! As far as 9-hole courses go, this is one of my favorites.
The holes are challenging without being supremely long. Great use of the elevation on the grounds -- if you imagined this plot of land without the course on it, this layout would be optimal for using the ups and downs of the hills here.
Great blend of shots -- uphill and downhill, left and right, open and alley shots. Long and short tee shots, even a couple blind tee shots.
Old school Charlotte signage with all pertinent info.
Easy to navigate, save for finding the first hole, but the description on the course page got me there. Locals park on a side street, near where 9 finishes.
Doesn't interfere with the rest of the park, except for a walking trail which is off the fairways.
Cons: Baskets are older and single-chained.
Some graffiti on the signage, especially the last few holes.
I've heard this place gets popular with big groups and single-discers, but I didn't have any traffic just after work on a gorgeous day.
Other Thoughts: Park seems like a great place for the family. Bathrooms and a nice walking trail. I didn't see any trash cans on the course, but it's only 9 holes, so pack in and pack out!

This is one of the most fun 9-hole courses I've ever played. Feels like an older, seasoned Charlotte course that got cut in half. Not overly challenging, but far from easy -- great for anyone wanting to play disc golf -- newbies will love this course, and seasoned veterans will see that while it's not the toughest course around, it's not wide-open, repetitive flat shots either.
Favorites were:
-- #3, downhill blind through a wide tree fairway;
-- #7 -- longest hole, uphill blind into the trees to set up your second shot, or go way around the left side and hope to find a line at the basket.

Charlotte offers a wealth of courses. If you're coming for a disc golf road trip, I can guess which courses you'll hit, and this won't be on that list. However, if you're here for an extended period, live here, or just want to get in a quick 9, Mint Hill will give you a full smile with only half a course.

Nice little 9-holer!

1    4/7/2011   4/8/2011
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Very well maintained course in a multi-use park. Course it located off to one side of the park away from other park users and activities. Good concrete tee pads with short and long pad available for some holes. Signs are adequate and tell you what you need to know. Navigation is a piece of cake. I had no issues locating next basket. Course flow is smooth and brings you in a nice loop.

Just what I'd call a pretty little course. Uses elevation well and has several holes that play up and down a hill. Mostly wooded fairways by normal standards, but probably considered more open for NC. Terrain reminds me a lot of some of the courses in Nashville. Nice hills with some well defined fairways that have just enough mature trees in play to keep you on your toes. This course also have a few holes with a little bit of length so you're not totally just threading putters through the woods like at some 9 hole courses.
Cons: Not really any glaring problems at the course. Hole 1 is probably not the best way to make a first impression, but for the most part this course is a fun little place to play. Probably if you're an advanced player this course may be too simplistic or short, but I found most of the holes to be well designed, and at least had some risk if you couldn't hit your shot.
Other Thoughts: I don't play a ton of 9 hole courses so I was pleasantly surprised by this one. While not a perfect course, it did force me to break out more than just my putters, and gave me enough challenge that I got in the woods on a couple of occasions. Don't let the 1st hole fool you, this is a cool little 9 hole course that is worth your time if you are in the area.

Great 9 holer

5+    2/25/2010   2/25/2010
Review By: prototypicalDave
Pros: This is a well maintained course with a relatively decent range of difficulty.

The open field on #1 is really great for learning drive technique.

It's usually not very crowded. I play it several times a week when I am working from home and I have never had to wait or been rushed on a hole.

Most of the holes reward accuracy over distance.
I love wide open fairways, but they don't make me a better disc golfer. I have learned my mid range game here, and I think that I have benefited from it.
Cons: That being said there are a couple of holes that seem like throwaways (#2 for instance).

It really could use a few more holes.There seems to be enough room on the site for a few more at least.

The evergreens in the rough will EAT your discs. I have never had more trouble retrieving a wayward disc than I have had here.
Lot's of briars in the rough too.

Sometimes the park has been closed for no obvious reason.

Several times I have had a creepy security guard follow me around in his all-terrain golf cart.
It's nice to know that they are there, but don't park on the fairway!

Dog poop is a hazard.
Other Thoughts: It seems I have more cons than pros for this place, but nonetheless, I love it. Admittedly the fact that it's within 3 miles of my house is nice, but even without that, I would make the drive out to play it if I wanted to work on my game in peace.

Like I said above, the mix of challenges is really conducive to working on most aspects of the game.

Also the park staff really takes care of it.They've recently repainted the baskets, and after the recent crappy weather, they hit all of the tee pads with an edger and swept away all of the accumulated clay and dirt.

All in all a good course. Thanks to Mint Hill for providing it.

Fun course if you throw short drives like me.

2-4    1/29/2010   2/3/2010
Review By: ReedyCreekProduct
Pros: VERY easy to get to. Just hop right off of 485 and you're almost at the first tee.

Nicely-defined fairways and tree clusters. It's like a shrunken ball-golf course.

Good signage.

Seems like a safe park.
Cons: Don't bother if you want 18 holes, or want to throw massive drives at every tee pad.

While the grassy, planned fairways are pleasant and a nice contrast to the nearby Squirrel Lake course, part of me feels guilty because of the possible environmental impact of keeping up such a "lawn".

There might be one or two holes(maybe just one) where you'll have to keep a lookout for people on a nearby walking trail. It's never been a problem for me.
Other Thoughts: I personally love this course because I can't throw the big drives anyway. A great place for kids, beginners, average players, mildy-injured players, "just for fun" players, and aging players who can't throw as hard as they used to.

Most beginner friendly Charlotte course

1    1/23/2010   1/23/2010
Pros: 1) Concrete tees are always a plus. The second tees on 1, 7, and 9 are also concrete and nicely sized. They are also rough for a good grip on your drive.

2) Disc Golf sign at the parking lot to help direct you to the course from the parking lot. It not only helps people looking for the disc golf course but it also makes the public aware of the sport as well as non dg'ers that there is a course out there. they might just think people are out there throwing "frisbees" around. It gives some credibility to the sport.

3) Nice signage. I have seen these signs before on different courses and I like them. They have big lettering and numbering, clear differences between tees, and all the necessary info along with a diagram of the holes. All ina ll some of the better signage I have seen. Functional but not decorative, which is fine in my book.

4) Very nice park. It is not a Mecklenberg county park, but it does a good job to represent the area it is in. There are multiple activities there including a walking track, walking trails, disc golf, baseball, an open field for all sorts of activities, and a playground for kids. All in all another great park for the Charlotte area.

5) This is the only full size course in the metro Charlotte area with fairly open fairways. There are avenues to hit and some woods on the course but the fairways are more forgiving.

6) Obviously the most beginner friendly course that truly represents the game. Cameron Yards can be an equivalent, but I think it doesn't truly show what courses can be. This one is a full fledged DG course and can be enjoyed by so many people, especially beginners.

7) I think there is more potential here for more holes. I might be a really short 18 hole course if it were to expand but there are so many lanes in through these trees that could be more holes. Perhaps a multiple tee course to make 18 holes would be more appropriate here. They could make 18 holes with only 9 baskets pretty easily.

8) Nice variety of shot shaping available on this course. There are hyzers, anhyzers, straight shots, s curve holes, and multiple option holes available on this course. I think this variety makes this course as good as it can be.

9) Moderate hills make this course as good as it can be. Sure it doesn't have as much challenge due to elevation on this course, but the hills are rolling and do force some different shots.

10) Good turf, probably the best turf on Charlotte courses. Sure most of the Charlotte course are densely wooded, but some of them do have turf in areas. This is well maintained and is nice to have a course that isn't all compacted soil.

11) This course does do a good job of using the limited space. It fits 9 holes into a pretty tight area of the park, also an arra that wouldnt be usable by any other sport without major excavation or soil work.

12) Natural flow of the course is pretty good except for the fact that there look to be lanes to throw down all over the place.
Cons: 1) The wooded spots on the course are not in the fairways, but if you go errant and get a kick into the wooded areas you wil struggle to get out cleanly. They are dense and they are evergreen so there will always be something in your way to try and advance the disc up the fairways.

2) Directional signage would be helpful in a few spots for beginners or first timers. The reason I say this would be helpful is because there are all sorts of avenues that could look like holes. There are basically pockets of trees that these holes wind through and around and you may struggle for a few seconds to find the appropriate spot for the next tee.

3) You might think that this course is forgiving, but if you are errant or you hit the wrong tree, you will be punished if you are in those dense cedar tree wooded area. I was surprised on a few occassions where I had no way to advance my disc when I was 10' off the fairways. Sure the fairways are wider and more forgiving, but once you leave the fairway they are punishing . . . almost too punishing for what I consider to be the most beginner friendly course in Charlotte.

4) Doesn't really challenge the above average player.

5) The long tees are only on 3 holes, so even if you play the long tees, you are still playing a beginner course.

6) Course has almost no variety because it plays mostly open with tight woods on either side of the forgiving fairways. Sure it has some elevation, but it would still be nice to see some more variety like maybe a hole in the dense woods, or a water shot included somehow. It is very monotonous.

7) Duece or die for advanced players. I think this is a negative because I like more variety.

8) Walkpath comes into play along a couple holes. Not as bad as many courses I have seen but still mentionable. It never crosses a path only errant shots would hit the path, but again, still worth mentioning.

9) Baskets are a little old with some rust on some of them. They still catch just fine but the aesthetics of the baskets are starting to decline.
Other Thoughts: Not a bad course and definitely a course needed in the Charlotte area. It serves its purpose by providing a course without dense woods on every shot. It isnt as forgiving as you might think because once you get off the fairways you might as well be in the dense woods because you are not advancing the disc at all! I did have a good time playing here despite having a good round at Reedy beforehand, but this simply is only an average to slightly above average course. The beginner can enjoy it and the advanced or pro player can shoots for aces and birdies on every hole. Like I said it is an important course for Charlotte as it gives an outlet for many people to play a different type of course. This course gets a three becuase it serves a purpose no other course in the Charlotte area offer. It caters to beginners. If it was surrounded by average course it would get a 2.5 from me, but because it is the most accepting of beginners it gets a 3 from me, even though I no longer consider myself a beginner.

Good course for all

8/5/2008   8/5/2008
Review By: Mystery
Pros: This is a great course with lots of elevation and fair basket placement.The transition from one hole to the next was very smooth. Tee boxes were concrete and of sufficient size. The signage for the course was accurate. Some holes had multiple tees. The baskets were Innova Discatchers and in good shape. Fairways were very well defined. If you had an errant shot, you were penalized but not persecuted.
Hole # 4 had lots of trees between the tee and the basket for a very interesting experience. Hole #5 was a slightly blind, downhill shot. The catch is that the basket is situated feet from a nice slope, so that overshooting could be bad. Hole #6 is a great anhyzer shot.
There are lots of great shots and most holes are of good length.

Cons: The powder-coating was flaking and rusting on most baskets, but this was just cosmetic.
Other Thoughts: Hole # 7 was bordered by a barbwire fence on the left. The fairway was tightly lined to the right by brush and trees. The best play would be straight and flat or a left to right shot over the fence to the basket. Right to left shots could go out of bounds. #9 has the same fence in play on the left. Avoid the briars to the right on the short 2nd hole.

Fun, and great for practice

5+    7/12/2008   7/16/2008
Review By: JD Heel
This review was updated on 5/27/2009
Pros: - Great practice course. It's hillier than it seems at first glance, so the elevation helps test different throws.

- It's definitely a fun course. #1 is a great hole to empty the bag, and #2 is a great ace hole. I always enjoy playing Mint Hill.

- Not crowded at all. I see other players around every now and then, but I've never had to wait on someone else to throw.
Cons: - As mentioned before, it's all out in the open - even the "wooded" holes. That said, it can get quite hot in the summer. Of all the courses around Charlotte, this is surprisingly the one that seems to drain me the most in the heat because there's no protection from the sun. Stay hydrated.

- The basket on #9 is currently leaning forward quite a bit and makes for a distracting putt.
Other Thoughts: - Perhaps more than any other course around, the trees/brush will catch your shots and hold them up if you throw into the woods. Be sure to look for that if your throws get a little wild. A couple of times I've searched around for a disc that I was sure made it to the ground, only to look up and see it stuck in a tree.

- #9 runs alongside a road and cornfield on the left. If you're a RHBH thrower like me with a tendency to sail your shots wide left, be careful when you tee off from the long tees. I'm ashamed to say that I've ended up in the cornfield before on a windy day.

-This course leaves you wanting more... in a good way. There is talk of expanding it to 18, and that will really take it a step up if it ever happens. For now, it's about the best 9-hole course around.

Out in the open

4/26/2008   4/26/2008
Review By: powell7020
This review was updated on 5/6/2008
Pros: Great place to play if you want to get a tan as most holes are out in the open. You have to work to lose a disc. This course has ace opportunities. The open spaces on this course gives you a chance to really rip some off of the tee.
Cons: Some holes especially numbers one and nine are very windy. Not as challenging as other courses in the area.
Other Thoughts: Fun to play. Not often crowded.