Duluth, MN
Miller Creek Share

Better known as LSC

5+    7/4/2014   7/18/2014
Review By: BigTruck
Pros: Plenty of elevation, trees, parking. Holes are challenging and okay flow, free, close to home.
Cons: Not maintained by city, just volunteers. Long grass in summer, litter, tee pads
Other Thoughts: This is my home course and I helped design and build it. Sure this course could use more upkeep, but more people need to step up and volunteer and please can these children quit littering.

Work for it.

1    6/1/2014   6/3/2014
Review By: Mandabear
Pros: There were benches on most holes. Rudimentary tee signs on most holes were helpful, though they won't stand to weather for long (laminated paper screwed to fixtures at tees). Designated tee pads. The course made good use of topography (read: be prepared for a workout!). Though it frustrated me at times, the forest comes into play quite often keeping it interesting.
Cons: The course description didn't prepare us for what we were about to encounter effort wise. Had it, I would have brought my whole bag with water & snacks instead of only two discs for a quick bag. Roughly half the gravel tee pads were muddy, but there seemed to be space next to them for teeing off. Relatively intuitive course flow but there were a couple of spots where you could get thrown off due to lack of signage and remnants of the 18 hole course. Mostly going from pin 7 to 8 tee...Stay right.
Other Thoughts: First, I would say this is a nine holer that you don't want to miss. Not sure it deems a repeat, but maybe when I'm fresh and not dog tired.

Secondly, this was the last course we played in a day of 5 courses and were seriously unprepared for the hike...so, prepare yourself!

I'd rate this course as a skill builder for intermediate players, downright difficult and demoralizing for beginners, and a fun challenge for advanced players.

It was a little right hand hyser heavy but there were a couple turnover shots and straight shots to keep you on your toes.

I went into it armed only with two discs, putter and mid-range, but desperately wished I had a driver as my drive isn't as powerful as my partner's. He was able to reach just about everything with a roc and was fine with just the two discs.

Good Ol' Miller Creek

5+    11/1/2013   2/12/2014
Review By: jmdaire27
Pros: *Location: Its right off of LSCs campus, not too far from anywhere in Duluth. Short drive from home and I have a challenging course to play on.
*Variety: No hole is the same. The course is definitely technical. Calls for most discs to be used each round, even on just nine holes. Not long by any means, but makes you think on each shot. Quite a bit of elevation change, wooded and open holes.
Cons: *Grooming: The course is free to the public, meaning any care that goes into it is strictly voluntary. In peak season, the overgrowth can become too much, making finding discs very difficult. This alone is deters me on some days.
*Other people: Its in a good spot, free, and short. A lot of people will pile in on most nice days, which makes for slower rounds. That, and the garbage can become an issue. A few bins have been put in and maintained by the city, but that hasn't stopped me and my friends form bringing trash bags every now and again to pick the stuff up that may go unseen.
*Teepads: One of my biggest pet peeves is not having a solid teepad to throw from, and no teepad on this course is good. Most have to be thrown from either side of the so-called "box." Highlighting this is hole 6. The teepad is strategically placed on a small mound that had just enough room for a teebox and now it is completely shot. Holds water, uneven, just bad.
Other Thoughts: One of the original layouts for the course was 18 holes (Not the original, as it went through a lot of fine-tuning before it was made [what most thought] permanent). Two weeks after I threw my personal best -8 on the 18 hole layout the city got the go ahead to take out the back 9, the more challenging half of the course. Very sad day that was. However, a few guys got together and changed up the old layout to how it is now. Which definitely made it more of a challenge. I am grateful but upset to this day that it was shortened. Anyway:
Hole 1: extended from the original. May seem like a nice sidearm hole, but a straight shot up the gut is recommended. going off in either direction, good chance you'll spend some time looking for your disc. Teepad 2/5
Hole 2: Pencil straight, or maybe a skip off the gravel and hope it makes it through the jail bars the pins guarded by. Just don't hit the island of trees in the middle of the fairway. Teepad 3/5 (throw from behind it)
Hole 3: sweeping hyzer into the tree guarded pin, down in elevation. Don't cut short into the woods... you'll be looking. Teepad 3.5/5
Hole 4: Sidearm around the bluff, or maybe a slight anny. either way, the grass, when overgrown, consumes discs if you don't make it over the hill. Too far and you're also in trouble. Teepad 2.5/5
Hole 5: Drops in elevation quite a bit. Makes for a fun hyzer bomb over/thru the trees. Teepad 3/5 (Throw from around it)
Hole 6: Crap teepad. Holes still fun. gotta make the wide alley (that hole 7 shoots the other way at. Can get quite congested). Straight with the use of disc fade at the end. Could also hyzer it fairly wide. If you fall in the woods short, the grounds so uneven youll be looking for your disc if you didnt watch it carefully. Teepad 0.5/5
Hole 7: One of the longer ones. S curve or straight bomber down the 370' alley, then around the bend. The ponds dried out now. Not an issue usually. Don't throw it into the leftward woods... Teepad 2/5 (Again, throw from around it)
Hole 8: Chance to make up that bogey! Make it over the tall trees and up the hill with a spike hyzer. Keep it straight and up than you should have a birdie chance. Teepad 3/5 (Not really pointing the right way..)
Hole 9: Chance to lose that birdie! Longest hole. On top of a hill blind shot. I'd recommend taking turns spotting discs on this one. If you're off, it's not fun looking. Teepad (Small patch of field meant to be thrown from) 3.5/5

It's a fun course to go practice your short game, precision, stamina, technical aspects. Its my home course, so treat her nicely.

R.I.P. Old 18 LCS Course

5+    6/17/2013   11/4/2013
Review By: Bergman Bomber
Pros: I wish I was writing a review for the old 18 hole layout Miller Creek at Lake Superior College. That was one the funnest disc golf courses I had ever played. But that is only for the memories now. The current 9 hole layout I have only played once. It is basically the old front 9, minus hole 1. No real benefit to RH throw or LH. Great distance changes hole to hole make it fun for ace races. This is a very popular course in the city, just being just minutes from the mall. making it one of the most well "broken in" courses around. The fairways are very clear and the wood are run threw so disc retrieval is easy. And last but not least the view you get from the top of the hill after 5 is simply breathtaking. You cant find a better view of the harbor of the Great Lake Superior around.
Cons: Whose ever idea it was to shorten this course should be at the top of all these Cons lists, Thats all I'm going to say. The tee boxes are just 2x4's that make are built to a square and filled with gravel. These are very worn down and you have to watch your footing. There is no benches, some makeshift logs or rocks but no legit seats. Due to popularity of this course the garbage is a little much. And there is little to no signage hole to hole. Not that it is a difficult course to navigate, don't be afraid to ask for help.
Other Thoughts: Overall I believe the old layout could have been easily a 4.0 rating with many memorable holes on the back 9. At least for the people who played the old course the new layout if pretty much the same first 9 holes. Still the best disc golf course in the city of Duluth.

2-4    6/7/2012   11/1/2012
Review By: frolfer97
Pros: -Nice variety of shots/elevation changes
-Beautiful view of Lake Superior
Cons: -No signage
-It was very hard to know where the course started and where the next tee box was at
-Very overgrown in different places
Other Thoughts: With some signage this course has the potential to be a very nice course.

Miller Creek DGC

5+    7/22/2012   7/29/2012
Review By: jziga
Pros:
-Very challenging to beginner/intermediate players.
-Unique basket placement throughout course.
Cons:
-There is not really a course layout, only a poster pinned to a board.
-No par signs by the tees.
-Rarely groomed/ut grass.
-Very likely to lose a disc each time you play.
This course has to be, sadly, one of the worst courses I have played. Although I do not like it, I try to play it as much as I can because I tell myself I will get better since it's a challenging course.

The walk ways down to the first hole are supported my random 2x4 pieces of wood, and the tees on every hole are poorly constructed.

I do not recommend playing this course without scanning it a few times before tee-ing off.

A lot of college kids like to come and play/drink and do what they do blah blah blah. There is a high amount of garbage throughout the course, and a very smelly "pond" in between hole 6 and 7.

I personally think hole 2, 3, and 4 are the most typical wholes you would see throughout DGC's, but they are nothing special.

Anyways, be careful as you throw your discs and you may have to have a spoter throughout playing the entire course. TRY to have fun, which is hard to do on this course.

The New Course Layout

2-4    6/8/2013   7/18/2012
Review By: Smileyaili17
This review was updated on 6/9/2013
Pros: --Challenging course, especially the greens on holes 1-3, 5-6 and 9
--Good variety in wooded/open holes (hole 1 is wooded, holes 2-3, 5, 8-9 are half wooded/half open, and holes 4, 6-7 are open)
--Great variety in elevation (all holes except 7 deal with at least some elevation)
--Course map at beginning
Cons: --Uneven, sandy tees (in fact, holes 1 and 3 are the only holes where I use the tees and I have no choice but to use it on hole 4 due to the encroaching trees, otherwise I would not use this tee either)
--Very busy
--Sometimes there is a sewage smell on holes 6 and 7
--Holes 6 and 7 are played on the same fairway (6 throws towards the tee of 7 while 7 throws towards the tee of 6, creating interference if two groups are playing on these two holes)
--The fairways on holes 8 and 9, as well as parts of 4 and 5, are not mowed but have long grass. The group in front of us (as well as other groups that we saw later) had to spend a lot of time looking for discs.
--The tee placement for hole 5 is confusing. There is the old one (I think it's the old one) that is close to the basket of hole 4, while the actual one for hole 5 is farther away, back up the north side of the fairway of hole 4, next to the road)
Other Thoughts: I have only been to the new layout, so I can't speak about how good the improvement is. It is a decent course, but my major problem is the lack of neatly cut "fairways" on all the holes. I would recommend taking turns scouting ahead to watch where everyone's discs land, especially on holes 3-5, 6-8 and most certainly 9.

Grading Criteria:

Landscape quality
2/5

Baskets, Tees and Hole Diagrams
2.5/5

Variety in hole distances
4.5/5

Variety in hole types
(field/wooded holes; hilly/level holes; etc)
4/5

Difficulty/Challenge
4.5/5

Course flow
3/5

Outside interference
(pedestrians; traffic noise distractions; etc)
4/5

Fun factor
3.5/5

Use of Available Land
2/5

Specific issues:
(certain problems with certain holes; course unique issues; etc)

Holes 6 and 7 placement and sewage smell