Voorhees, NJ
Stafford Woods Share
Uploaded By: MichaelWebster Hole #9 (Taken 5/2014)
Hole #9 Gold Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4
A must play course

2-4    5/8/2016   5/9/2016
Review By: pwolfinger
Pros: 5/8/16 was my first time playing, but definitely won't be my last. I finished the first round and immediately played a second 18. This course is definitely in my favorites, and has the potential to get even better. For a relatively new course, this 18 plays like a seasoned course; its obvious the club puts a lot of work into maintaining and improving..

When you first arrive, you'll notice a parking area off the street with portable bathroom and baskets. There are multiple practice baskets recessed in the woods on your way to hole 1! While I was there, locals from the club were selling new and used discs, which was great (btw they have a lot of new Trilogy plastic and a nice mix of used discs if that's what you're in to).

The next thing I noticed was how beautiful the wooded area is the course is in. There are multiple rustic hiking trails throughout the course that allow players to navigate the course. The course setting was enough to make it enjoyable.

most holes have multiple tee's and multiple baskets. Signage is good. You will still find challenge playing from the shorts if you don't have much time/daylight, but the longs make the holes even better; either adding length, changing approach angle to fairway, or increased technical shots with more trees.

The layout seemed to favor a RHBH player, but I found myself throwing some forehand shots. There is a nice mix of open and heavily wooded. There is also a nice mix of shorter holes 200'-350' vs 350'-500' when playing the short layout. There are a couple holes (e.g., 11, 15, 16) that you'll need to bomb.
Cons: I recommend printing a map or playing with a local your first round. Even with the signage and "next tee" arrows, it is easy to second guess whether you are headed the right way or not.

Only major layout Con is that hole 18 finishes with a minor walk back to the lot. But the woods are so peaceful I didn't even care!

Not that its a big deal, but the "par" doesn't change when you are playing the short vs long tee position (at least from a signage perspective). I realize if its league or tournament, par doesn't much matter anyway. But there were some par 4's that would likely be a par 3 from the short tee.

I could see leaves in the fall being a problem with discs. Also, the entrance to the park sneaks up on you from the road. There is a small sign, but for a first-timer I almost missed it. The mulched parking lot was also very sogged/muddy lots of rain. Sounded like the locals were hoping for a stone lot in the future.
Other Thoughts: I absolutely loved playing this course. If you are even remotely close to it, I recommend making the trip. The South Jersey DG folks were nice and have a facebook page that will give you some additional information.

Fun and challenging

1    3/5/2016   4/6/2016
Review By: DiscFlicker77
Pros: Great mix of open holes and wooded, technical holes. Some elevation changes make you rethink certain throws.
Cons: Some holes are heavily wooded making it inevitable for one player in your party to hit a tree.

Parking lot is bad and muddy.
Other Thoughts: Water hazard on 2 holes is extremely punishing and nearly impossible to retrieve your disc. My buddy lost his disc in the pond. While we were trying to find it someone else's disc came soaring into the pond from the other tee.

This course will challenge all level of players.

I will definitely be back often.

Review by well traveled player

2-4    3/11/2016   3/12/2016
Review By: ditrynn
Pros: Mix of tight drives and a few open drives. Clean course and failry maintained. Good signage.

Cons: A few poor tee pads.
Entering/exiting the parking lot can be frustrating.
Needs some clearing on a few trees located in some of the fairways.
Other Thoughts: Overall a good place to work on accuracy off the tee. This is a good "local" course, but it is not a "destination" course. Meaning, one should not drive a ways to play it.

Very good

5+    3/6/2016   3/6/2016
Review By: Gavin0
Pros: The new holes are very good. The old holes are fun too. There are a variety of holes. Not very hard to find discs because the trees are well spaced and there isn't much underbrush
Cons: If you get your disc in the pond, it is impossible to find unless it floats and even if, it is hard to get out.
Other Thoughts: Very challenging because of the high amount of trees.

Great Course - Challenging Holes

1    8/9/2015   8/14/2015
Review By: rmart617
Pros: Good for beginners and pros! This course is very clean and nicely maintained. Very narrow throws on some holes that can make it challenging for a beginner and also some wide open tees to really work on your long drives.Water hazards also add a challenging feature. Very well spread out and you hardly run into other players. Best course around if you live in the Burlington County area.
Cons: Very small and unnoticeable entrance off of the roadway.
Other Thoughts: Be careful with ticks as you are literally in the middle of the woods on some holes. Highly recommend using bright disc at this course as many holes have really high grass if you don't hit the fairway.

South Jersey gem

5+    7/8/2015   7/8/2015
Review By: discNDav
This review was updated on 1/2/2016
Pros: Finally a good to great course in south Jersey (Philadelphia suburbs) all thanks to SJDG!

Not far from interstate hiway I-295.

Par 63 with lots of par 4's and a par 5; designed to fit today's discs capabilities and challenge highly rated golfers.

VARIETY of shots are needed; left to right, right to left, straight, long, short, wooded and open with a good use of what elevation there is in this part of Jersey.

Two shots over water! A lost and found box and a working club to return discs. I have brought back over 20 discs to Sedgley just this year.

New Chainstar baskets, I haven't seen many truly good shots get rejected by them.

Hanging basket on #16 is a nice touch.

Easy to navigate after finding hole #1 with plenty of yellow arrows and next tee signs. Long and short tees exist on most holes. Two loops of nine holes each.

Two practice baskets and a very clean port a john on site.

Tight wooded shots are required but they are mostly fair, if you hit the line, you can score some birdies.

Constantly improving (tee pads) since opening 3 years ago thanks to Adam and the many volunteers / local players.

Very clean area, hardly any litter on the course.
Cons: Entering and exiting the course on Evesham Av is somewhat dangerous, please be extra careful. The one lane gravel bumpy driveway is a major pain.

The tee signs show 2 tee and 2 baskets yet some holes don't have that yet. A system needs to developed indicating which basket is currently in play since not all can be seen from the tee.

TICKS are in these woods and long grass on the open holes.

The teepads are a mixed bag, some cement pavers, some rubber ones, some have carpet (better than it sounds) and some short ones are dirt.

No running water is available.

The odd turn in 8's fairway (similar to Sedgley 27) and the way 9's fairway gets narrower as it gets longer. Maybe this is simply my problem?

You can definitely lose a disc in the pond on #3 and #7.

Other Thoughts: Parking will expand very shortly with today's demolition of the on site house.

Every time I step up to long #2, it reminds me of Iron Hill.

#15 here reminds of #15 at Warwick, starting in the woods, then two long field shots and finishes back in the woods. Great par 4!

Wish the par 5 #11 had one or two less trees in the fairway. Landing in the middle doesn't always give a good look for your next shot.

Par is 63 from both long and short tees? I think not.

After 3 years of play now, the underbrush isn't so bad anymore. Plenty of laurel trees and some stickers to avoid though off the fairway.

I still haven't birdied several holes here: long 4, 5, long 11 and 15.

For those without a car, NJ Transit bus 451 passes the course but I'm not sure where the actual bus stop is. The PATCO Ashland train station is 2 miles from the course.

Plenty of food options are nearby, Shop Rite is basically across the street and Wawa is at the closest intersection.

We'll always come back.

5+    7/5/2015   7/7/2015
Review By: The0ldMan
This review was updated on 7/11/2015
Pros: Great variety of holes:
2 ponds holes
some up hill, some downhill, but nothing crazy steep.
mostly wooded, but only a few of them feel really tight
a few wide open field shots.
Most of them are short and easy, but that one par 5 will challenge even the most expert players.

Practice pins at the parking lot.
A port-a-potty and trash cans too.
Very well marked and easy to follow layout from hole to hole.

Wawa and other food sources are a 15 minute walk down the road or 2 minute drive.
Cons: Parking is not developed yet. You have to know where to turn off the main road or you'll never find this place. The lot is a mess and can fill up fast on nice weather weekends. Losing a disc in the pond is a real possibility if you can't throw straight 150 footers reliably, mostly for first timers or very fresh players. The pond is murky and last time I played it was covered in algae. So even splashing down 5 feet off shore can be a loss unless you saw exactly where it "landed". We lost a disc and even had a disc retriever but you can't see through the water so we dredged the bottom of the pond for a half hour and ended up finding a different disc. If you're planning to bring some newbies here, skip the water holes, (3 and 7) or take a floating disc.

A lot of trees were cut down to make the lanes in the wooded courses, but they were mostly cut about 2 inches above the ground. The result is little tree stumps waiting to catch your toes and trip you up. We've started yelling "STAFFORD!" whenever we trip and mark it on our scorecard. In our 3 man group, we average 5 "staffords" per round. Avoid flip flops or open toed sandals.

The walk back to the lot from hole 18 seems like a really long walk but the paths are clear of "staffords" so you can look at scorecards and use your phone without too much worry.
Other Thoughts: I've heard there's a guy that dives the pond and recovers discs, but even if your phone number is on there, he won't call. That's not real nice. Hole 4 is the most picturesque disc golf hole I've ever played. We call it the Serengeti hole. Hole 11 is aptly nick named "Hell Hole" on the back of the pins number plate. We've been playing every weekend for a couple months now, and this last time was our 3rd time playing here, and 8th time playing hole 11, and one of us finally got par from the short tee. It's never fun smacking a tree 10 feet out, but it's always fun when your friends do it too. Living just outside Philly, Sedgley woods is the only course within a half hour drive from us, but we consider Stafford our home course because it's easily our favorite within 45 minutes.

UPDATE: After writing this review, I received to private messages letting me know a couple things and I wanted to pass them on to you. They are currently expanding the parking lot which will be excellent. And they have a group of people that recover discs from the pond and return them. They don't call all the numbers though because there's apparently a lot of discs in there. I'm following their facebook page waiting for the next lost and found day to get my brother's Vibram Ibex back. I also got to play a few holes with a guy named Glen who said they are always working to improve the course. One of the PMs said he was working on the tree stumps and I do notice less and less of them every time I go out there. I might even take my own cordless saw out and nip a few next time I play.

These guys are seriously passionate about the course, and I can't imagine how great it will be when it's finished if it's as good as it is now.

great hidden gem

5+    7/4/2015   7/6/2015
Review By: specsman
Pros: I thought it was a great course when I started and it was 9 nice holes; but the back 9 really turned out great and added some shots with changes in elevation. Now it has everything I could want.
Cons: Minor nitpick: the parking lot entrance could be widened and the parking lot gets rutted when muddy.
Other Thoughts: I'm just a recreational "beginner" that gets out about once a month; but I consider myself very lucky to have Stafford woods be really close by/home course.

I've been bringing my son here since he was 2 and its a great spot where he can play in the "woods" and not get lost or hurt -- I throw my disc and he runs em down, finds them. Sometimes when he was younger we would come here just to walk the course for fun (and pick up any trash we might find). He follows and points out the "clues" (arrows and maps). This course is so well marked up and laid out that even a 4yr old couldn't fail to find every tee and basket. Now he's old enough to start throwing the disc a bit and I hope to get out here even more.

"Four"hees

1    3/28/2015   3/29/2015
Review By: adlacro
Pros: 18 good, challenging holes with many offering two tees and many alternate pin positions. Baskets are Chainstar's, and they catch and look nice. Although there are a lot of tight wooded holes, you'll always have a definitive lane to hit. The water holes are not overwhelming, and add some OB to a course that doesn't have too much in the way of OB. Hanging basket on 16 a nice feature. Something for everyone. Close to the highway. Stays pretty dry even after recent rains, always a plus for a wooded course. Two practice baskets. Many par 4's and even a par 5.
Cons: The parking lot. Not many spaces available and it is a little marshy. Although there are not many long walks from hole to hole, it is a little walk back to the parking lot from basket 18.
Other Thoughts: Again, the course has a number of pro par fours mixed in with tight birdie runs and even a par five, welcome deviations from your prototypical par 54 course. It was a thrill to play this course on my trip to the area, and worth the drive if you're in the Philadelphia area.

Lucky We Live so Close

5+    2/8/2015   2/25/2015
Review By: wookieebeck
Pros: Many of the reviews here are spot on. I won't go into hole-by-hole details, rather for my first review, I will describe the feeling of playing here.
This was my first course. It got me hooked on DG. I branched out and played 14 other highly ranked places found on DGCR to see what other designers have created. And boy, am I glad I can call Stafford my home course. It continues to give me a fun challenge as I continue to play and get better.
Cons: Parking lot is tight, woodsy terrain. Is not a big enough con to stop anyone.
Noobs seam to do their own trimming and breaking of laurel trees. These are obstacles that are meant to be there. Please be courteous.
Other Thoughts: The locals are what makes this great course happen. The South Jersey DG community takes great care of this course. If you lose a disc at Stafford, there is a very high chance of getting your plastic back. The drop box is locked, yet emptied a lot and the pond is dragged. Just come to a tag round and find your lost discs (too many to call).

< Prev 1 2 3 4