Voorhees, NJ
Stafford Woods Share
Uploaded By: MichaelWebster Hole #1 (Taken 5/2014)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
South Jersey gem

5+    7/8/2015   7/8/2015
Review By: discNDav
Pros: Finally a good to great course in south Jersey (Philadelphia suburbs) all thanks to SJDG!

Not far from interstate hiway I-295.

Par 63 with lots of par 4's and a par 5; designed to fit today's discs capabilities and challenge highly rated golfers.

VARIETY of shots are needed; left to right, right to left, straight, long, short, wooded and open with a good use of what elevation there is in this part of Jersey.

Two shots over water! A lost and found box and a working club to return discs. I have brought back over 20 discs to Sedgley just this year.

New Chainstar baskets, I haven't seen many truly good shots get rejected by them.

Hanging basket on #16 is a nice touch.

Easy to navigate after finding hole #1 with plenty of yellow arrows and next tee signs. Long and short tees exist on most holes. Two loops of nine holes each.

Two practice baskets and a very clean port a john on site.

Tight wooded shots are required but they are mostly fair, if you hit the line, you can score some birdies.

Constantly improving (tee pads) since opening 3 years ago thanks to Adam and the many volunteers / local players.

Very clean area, hardly any litter on the course.
Cons: Entering and exiting the course on Evesham Av is somewhat dangerous, please be extra careful. The one lane gravel bumpy driveway is a major pain.

The tee signs show 2 tee and 2 baskets yet some holes don't have that yet. A system needs to developed indicating which basket is currently in play since not all can be seen from the tee.

TICKS are in these woods and long grass on the open holes.

The teepads are a mixed bag, some cement pavers, some rubber ones, some have carpet (better than it sounds) and some short ones are dirt.

No running water is available.

The odd turn in 8's fairway (similar to Sedgley 27) and the way 9's fairway gets narrower as it gets longer. Maybe this is simply my problem?

You can definitely lose a disc in the pond on #3 and #7.

Other Thoughts: Parking will expand very shortly with today's demolition of the on site house.

Every time I step up to long #2, it reminds me of Iron Hill.

#15 here reminds of #15 at Warwick, starting in the woods, then two long field shots and finishes back in the woods. Great par 4!

Wish the par 5 #11 had one or two less trees in the fairway. Landing in the middle doesn't always give a good look for your next shot.

Par is 63 from both long and short tees? I think not.

After 3 years of play now, the underbrush isn't so bad anymore. Plenty of laurel trees and some stickers to avoid though off the fairway.

I still haven't birdied several holes here: long 4, 5, long 11, long 14, long 15.

For those without a car, NJ Transit bus 451 passes the course but I'm not sure where the actual bus stop is. The PATCO Ashland train station is 2 miles from the course.

Plenty of food options are nearby, Shop Rite is basically across the street and Wawa is at the closest intersection.

We'll always come back.

5+    7/5/2015   7/7/2015
Review By: The0ldMan
This review was updated on 7/11/2015
Pros: Great variety of holes:
2 ponds holes
some up hill, some downhill, but nothing crazy steep.
mostly wooded, but only a few of them feel really tight
a few wide open field shots.
Most of them are short and easy, but that one par 5 will challenge even the most expert players.

Practice pins at the parking lot.
A port-a-potty and trash cans too.
Very well marked and easy to follow layout from hole to hole.

Wawa and other food sources are a 15 minute walk down the road or 2 minute drive.
Cons: Parking is not developed yet. You have to know where to turn off the main road or you'll never find this place. The lot is a mess and can fill up fast on nice weather weekends. Losing a disc in the pond is a real possibility if you can't throw straight 150 footers reliably, mostly for first timers or very fresh players. The pond is murky and last time I played it was covered in algae. So even splashing down 5 feet off shore can be a loss unless you saw exactly where it "landed". We lost a disc and even had a disc retriever but you can't see through the water so we dredged the bottom of the pond for a half hour and ended up finding a different disc. If you're planning to bring some newbies here, skip the water holes, (3 and 7) or take a floating disc.

A lot of trees were cut down to make the lanes in the wooded courses, but they were mostly cut about 2 inches above the ground. The result is little tree stumps waiting to catch your toes and trip you up. We've started yelling "STAFFORD!" whenever we trip and mark it on our scorecard. In our 3 man group, we average 5 "staffords" per round. Avoid flip flops or open toed sandals.

The walk back to the lot from hole 18 seems like a really long walk but the paths are clear of "staffords" so you can look at scorecards and use your phone without too much worry.
Other Thoughts: I've heard there's a guy that dives the pond and recovers discs, but even if your phone number is on there, he won't call. That's not real nice. Hole 4 is the most picturesque disc golf hole I've ever played. We call it the Serengeti hole. Hole 11 is aptly nick named "Hell Hole" on the back of the pins number plate. We've been playing every weekend for a couple months now, and this last time was our 3rd time playing here, and 8th time playing hole 11, and one of us finally got par from the short tee. It's never fun smacking a tree 10 feet out, but it's always fun when your friends do it too. Living just outside Philly, Sedgley woods is the only course within a half hour drive from us, but we consider Stafford our home course because it's easily our favorite within 45 minutes.

UPDATE: After writing this review, I received to private messages letting me know a couple things and I wanted to pass them on to you. They are currently expanding the parking lot which will be excellent. And they have a group of people that recover discs from the pond and return them. They don't call all the numbers though because there's apparently a lot of discs in there. I'm following their facebook page waiting for the next lost and found day to get my brother's Vibram Ibex back. I also got to play a few holes with a guy named Glen who said they are always working to improve the course. One of the PMs said he was working on the tree stumps and I do notice less and less of them every time I go out there. I might even take my own cordless saw out and nip a few next time I play.

These guys are seriously passionate about the course, and I can't imagine how great it will be when it's finished if it's as good as it is now.

great hidden gem

5+    7/4/2015   7/6/2015
Review By: specsman
Pros: I thought it was a great course when I started and it was 9 nice holes; but the back 9 really turned out great and added some shots with changes in elevation. Now it has everything I could want.
Cons: Minor nitpick: the parking lot entrance could be widened and the parking lot gets rutted when muddy.
Other Thoughts: I'm just a recreational "beginner" that gets out about once a month; but I consider myself very lucky to have Stafford woods be really close by/home course.

I've been bringing my son here since he was 2 and its a great spot where he can play in the "woods" and not get lost or hurt -- I throw my disc and he runs em down, finds them. Sometimes when he was younger we would come here just to walk the course for fun (and pick up any trash we might find). He follows and points out the "clues" (arrows and maps). This course is so well marked up and laid out that even a 4yr old couldn't fail to find every tee and basket. Now he's old enough to start throwing the disc a bit and I hope to get out here even more.

"Four"hees

1    3/28/2015   3/29/2015
Review By: adlacro
Pros: 18 good, challenging holes with many offering two tees and many alternate pin positions. Baskets are Chainstar's, and they catch and look nice. Although there are a lot of tight wooded holes, you'll always have a definitive lane to hit. The water holes are not overwhelming, and add some OB to a course that doesn't have too much in the way of OB. Hanging basket on 16 a nice feature. Something for everyone. Close to the highway. Stays pretty dry even after recent rains, always a plus for a wooded course. Two practice baskets. Many par 4's and even a par 5.
Cons: The parking lot. Not many spaces available and it is a little marshy. Although there are not many long walks from hole to hole, it is a little walk back to the parking lot from basket 18.
Other Thoughts: Again, the course has a number of pro par fours mixed in with tight birdie runs and even a par five, welcome deviations from your prototypical par 54 course. It was a thrill to play this course on my trip to the area, and worth the drive if you're in the Philadelphia area.

Lucky We Live so Close

5+    2/8/2015   2/25/2015
Review By: wookieebeck
Pros: Many of the reviews here are spot on. I won't go into hole-by-hole details, rather for my first review, I will describe the feeling of playing here.
This was my first course. It got me hooked on DG. I branched out and played 14 other highly ranked places found on DGCR to see what other designers have created. And boy, am I glad I can call Stafford my home course. It continues to give me a fun challenge as I continue to play and get better.
Cons: Parking lot is tight, woodsy terrain. Is not a big enough con to stop anyone.
Noobs seam to do their own trimming and breaking of laurel trees. These are obstacles that are meant to be there. Please be courteous.
Other Thoughts: The locals are what makes this great course happen. The South Jersey DG community takes great care of this course. If you lose a disc at Stafford, there is a very high chance of getting your plastic back. The drop box is locked, yet emptied a lot and the pond is dragged. Just come to a tag round and find your lost discs (too many to call).

Nice COurse

5+    12/19/2014   2/19/2015
Review By: stevep74
Pros: Back 9 really add to the course. Lots of different throws. Deer all over the park.
Cons: Ticks. Ticks. And more ticks. Front 9 has some heavily wooded holes. Parking lot leaves something to be desired.
Other Thoughts: Good club running the course. Bring a "water" disc.

1    8/23/2014   12/23/2014
Review By: jkdisc
Pros: Stafford Woods is a way better course than I expected when I was driving in. I didn't expect a really good wooded course because the area seemed so developed. Very peaceful feel even though you are so close to the hubbub. The course was manicured with nearly no underbrush and very little litter. There is a nice variety with elevation, distances, turns, and risk/reward. There a couple open holes but it is mostly wooded. Most holes have 2 tee pads. There are different types of tee boxes but all of them were solid footing.

Other Pros:

-nice tee signs and arrows for easy navigation
-2 water carries
-2 practice baskets
-challenging yet fun
-well designed (two 9 hole loops)
Cons: I knew the driveway was going to be hard to catch but we still blew right past it. The road is busy and higher speed so by the time we saw the sign for the course we were past it. 2 U-turns and we made it. Then I felt like we were at someone's house. But all was good, the house is used for the locals tourneys, message boards, and lost and found box. We had trouble finding the 1st tee, but I pulled up the map and didn't need the map after tee #1 was found. The parking area can be tricky if it's busy as it's just a carved out area in the trees. These are really just nitpicks. The locals have done a great job creating a gem.
Other Thoughts: I really was completely surprised. The course deserves the rating it has earned. I will be back. I really enjoyed the water carries. Both aren't too far but you need to worry about making it past the slope so your disc doesn't roll back to the pond. Great course, highly recommended

A true gem in SJ

5+    12/11/2014   12/16/2014
Review By: 21111
Pros: 18 chainstar baskets. Nice tee signs, and directional arrows guiding you throughout the course.
Water comes into play on 2 holes. (#3 and #7)
Most holes have multiple tees and are comprised of stone pavers or carpeted boxes. (still under construction)
Multiple basket locations on each hole keep things interesting.
Nice use of fast greens will keep you thinking while your putter is in hand.
2 elevated baskets and 1 hanger will challenge even the best putters.
Extremely fair and well thought out design. Good use of the terrain, wooded and technical, risk vs. reward.
I think Stafford is unique in that it plays just as hard from the short tees as it does the long tee's.
The course consist of several par 4' s and a true par 5 (#11)

Portable toilets and plenty of parking on site.
Cons: Pulling out of or into Stafford Farm on to Evesham Rd. at the wrong time of day!

Carpeted tees will eventually be replaced.
Other Thoughts: Lost and found box
2 practice baskets
Great new course in SJ, for a great new club. You won't feel like you're in New Jersey while at Stafford Woods.

Great Course, Don't miss the entrance!

2-4    10/28/2014   11/2/2014
Review By: mattlinardo
This review was updated on 11/11/2014
Pros: Great course layout with multiple tees for each hole. Challenging and varied terrain. Mixed distances and curves so everything isn't a long bomb or left hand curves . Clearly designed to challenge both FH and BH players evenly. Awesome people on the course. Signs are clear and the locations of the next tees are very easy to find.
Cons: A little hard to find if you don't know where you are looking, as the sign for the entrance is very small and it can be difficult to make a left had turn into the parking area because of oncoming traffic.
Some holes are really tight with trees and can be very difficult for a new player. The rough is deep in the field holes and the weeds can eat your disc very easily.
Other Thoughts: This is a course local to me and the home course to some of my friends. Had a pleasurable experience out learning the course. Certainly a different kind of challenge, even from the short tees. This course can be very difficult for a new player and having a more experienced player with you to learn the lines and basket locations is a huge help.
This will be a premier course in the area as the tee pads are updated and entrance is marked more clearly . SJDG has done a fantastic job promoting the sport in our area and taking care of our local courses. Looking forward to seeing these courses develop and my game improving too.

Wooded and Weird

1    8/18/2014   9/7/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Stafford Woods is immediately different from the moment you drive in the parking lot. Tucked in a densely wooded drive, don't miss the turn because the sign pops out at the last moment. Once you park, there is a building and a bigger, more graffiti art Stafford Woods sign and some other info posted near by. Trash cans and a porto potty are also near the parking area. The first hole, and the 10th hole are just a short walk from there. The composition of the course changes from time to time. Much of it is wooded, and this is the feel on hole 1. Hole 2 is the same but longer, and the basket is atop a ridge that is a few steps higher than most of the fairway. Then on hole 3 you throw across a pond, that is blind from the long tee box. Climb that mound and get a look at the basket on the sloping bank on the opposite side before you drive. Hole 4 is more open and grassy, and the long grass to the left almost ate my Tee Bird, so watch out. The morning dew soaked my shoes and socks searching. Hole 5 really wide open, and 6 starts that way, but the basket is on a tall mound with a few trees scattered around it. Number 7 goes back across the pond, and the front nine finishes fully engulfed by the woods. The back nine also begins woodsy, but 10 is a good chance for a deuce. 11 is a long, twisting fairway, where elevation changes in contour is more noticeable, and hit me hard for a 7. 12 is short, but climbs a real hill. 12, 13, and 14 are all shorter, but wooded holes, and I scored another bird on 13. 15 tees out of the woods and crosses an expansive grass field before entering trees on the other side. 16 goes back across the grass, and the basket hangs in a tree, long but very wide open and straight forward. 17 takes you into the woods again for another long hole. I made a 3 thanks to a great drive. 18 finishes out with a shorter, dogleg left in heavy woods. I had a rough start, but was only 3 over par 66 at the end. One under on the back nine.

All of the baskets were in good shape, the long tees were concrete with signs, and the park was clean and trimmed well enough for me. A quality course certainly. Dog was finally able to break free of the leash here, and splash the pond scum like a champ.
Cons: Holes 5 and 16 were conventional and a bit bland, but served their purpose. The trees were overwhelming out of the box on hole 9. Throw and hope you make it through.
Other Thoughts: Stafford Woods had some good contrasting features, including water hazards, open to dense woods, with some nice elements of elevation change also. I liked it and was glad I chose to stop there. Not in the same class with some of the other courses in the region, but a good one for Jersey. Recommend it to any player who is nearby and hasn't made the trip yet. Fully deserving of the rating it has if you ask me.

< Prev 1 2 3 4