Biloxi, MS
Hiller Park Share
Uploaded By: Cgkortz Hole #13 (Taken 2/2013)
Hole #13 Red Tee

Long and challenging

1    3/4/2015   3/7/2015
Pros: Long and challenging. You can really let your discs fly and have different options upon which way you want to go to the basket. Three different tees for all levels of players. Nice scenery and wild life to enjoy.
Cons: Bathroom not very nice with no TP. What the heck is the practice basket doing between hole 16 and 17. Need to dig it up and put it where it belongs...there is plenty of room before hole 1. No bridges to walk across the water...have to walk out of the way to get to where you need to go. Hard to find hole five....walked from 4 to 6 and was lost.
Other Thoughts: First hole made it challenging right away. 10 was another big challenge for if you went right you might as well have kissed that disc bye bye into the water. Some holes should be more than a par 3. Nice to have the extra holes for practice. I enjoyed the course. Shot a 61 the first time with heavy winds and on a rainy day.

Ready to go back

1    2/8/2015   2/17/2015
Review By: AUfantastic
Pros: Great all around course. Some ups, some downs, lefties, righties, long, short, wooded and open. Tests all aspects of your game.
Cons: Nothing significant that I can think of.
Other Thoughts: I played just before leaving town. The course was a bit crowded and play was slow. But, I loved it and am ready to go back now....AND I WILL.

Very cool coastal course

1    11/12/2014   11/12/2014
Review By: Moose33
Pros: Hiller park is a large multi use park that neighbors a large block of military housing. There are baseball fields, basketball courts, tennis courts, walking paths and a very nice disc golf course.

The start of the course is a bit challenging as its at the back end of the park, but there is a large gazebo by hole number one and a huge map with a slot at the bottom with scorecard/map combos. These are very helpful and well printed.

This course is all about using what they have to make every hole as interesting as possible, and one of the main features is the lagoon that you play over and around on many holes. It's a beautiful saltwater expanse with diverse wildlife and an added challenge.

It hits you in the face on number one, a short tee shot going over some shallow water with the basket up a hill.

Again on three, ten and eleven you throw over some water and it makes for an interesting mental game.

There are three sets of tees for most of the layout, a few markings are shared, but only the red(medium) layout has concrete teepads, the other blue(long) and white(short) are natural, but certainly adequately marked.

Each marker is a small mile marker type sign near the ground with the distances marked on them,

Baskets are nice and well balanced and it looked as if there were pockets for a couple of pin placements on many holes.

One thing I loved was the risk/reward on so many holes. One hole, 6 I think plays around a long U curve, but you can also bomb a tomahawk over the trees and hit close, whih is what I opted to do to great effect.

The use of tree cover and strategically places copes and Mandos were nice as well.

I had a great time overall really pretty park, tons of wildlife near the lagoon(coots, herons, geese, turtles) and very diverse holes.

The short ones(and some are under 200) are largely technical, but there are some great challenging longer holes as well, several over 400 whoch I enjoyed. Especially as they didn't sacrifice the most interesting golf lines for the sale of a long hole.

Cool thing I hadn't seen before, all te baskets had a small pvc pipe with the direction of the next hold on it, interesting and helpful.
Cons: Some parts of the park were not in great repair, including the restrooms(no closeable stall door and no TP).

You may have trouble navigating without the map.

Tee signs are functional but not the best available.

Weirdest thing to me; the practice basket is in between 16 and 17. Why there? What's the point? Especially when there is a very nice area to put one just to the right of the pavilion at the parking lot.

Leads me to thing the holes may have recently been renumbered or the layout altered I. The recent past.

Not much in the way of elevation changes, but it's southern MS, so that's not much of a con.

Other Thoughts: I had a great time at Hiller park the natural beauty of the area paired with the well thought out layout made for a great time. I would play there often if I lived close, I would play often, and in fact met a guy who drove from mobile for a round at Hiller.

If your in the area, come play this park, you won't regret it.

Best on the Mississippi Coast

5+    9/28/2014   11/4/2014
Review By: MikeK
Pros: Hiller Park definitely qualifies as a tournament-ready course. It's a solid challenge with two good sets of tees. The long tees will definitely separate the pretenders from the contenders.

There's a handful of memorable holes, most of which are between hole 9 and hole 15. If you only have time to play a few holes, play these. Hole 15 and hole 12 are legitimate par fours, and the rest are all birdieable but risky with pesky OB. There's even some elevation through this part of the course.

There's nice views of coastal marsh on hole 1, 10 and 21.

Hiller Park is relatively open and long for big arms, but does have a few tighter woods holes. It's also well-balanced with lefty and righty holes. I appreciate the mix of straight and curvy.
Cons: There's really no big cons. A few whines are heard about hole 6, which has a "U" or actually a "V" shaped fairway, which can be an unlucky bogey or worse. However there's a huge bomb thumber over the top off the tee...although I've only seen that route executed by one player who was rated about 1031 at that time.
Other Thoughts: This course continues to improve and it is hands down the best on the Casino Coast of Mississippi.

5+    8/12/2014   8/14/2014
Review By: Proskater15
Pros: This was my first course after the Keesler warm up course when I learned to play 2 yrs ago. I loved hiller park then and I love it even more now.

I would never go for it on any of the water holes and had no idea how to make a RHBH throw turn to the right. I am stationed in Guam and would always think of the water holes and why didn't I just go for it. ( there are no courses on Guam)

I got 3 week training orders back and was so excited to play the course again. Now I can make all the holes from the red tees.

Since I have been gone new pros include

New bridges

New concrete tees

New holes

Pro tees

What the course has always had

Great terrain
Great obstacles
Great people
Great variety
All around fun

You get a great mix of technical holes
Wide open holes
Overhanging tree limbs that force control drives
Dog leg rights and lefts.
A couple of good ace able holes
There are some signatures out there

Cons: Some concrete tees feel too short

I would love to help build more bridges ( I wish I was stationed here)

The pro tee on 6 seems like you do not have a shot

People do tend to park in bad spots, I almost hit a Cadillac
Other Thoughts: This course will always have a special spot in my heart and I will always look forward to coming back to Biloxi so I can play it. Thank you so much.

"I Need Two Weeks In Biloxi"

1    1/3/2014   1/6/2014
Review By: Qikly
This review was updated on 2/13/2014
Pros: With 21 holes, Hiller Park provides a variety of looks. Within these, there's pretty much something for everyone: 5 gives you a taste of out-and-out wooded golf, 19 and 20 are comparably tight, the copious water makes for several risk-versus-reward shots, and the numerous long open holes give you some opportunities to air it out. There are even some rolling hills, the kind of which are rarely found this far south. The range of distances - the intermediate tees have three holes under 200', three over 400', and pretty much everything in between - is especially nice here.

The water hazards at Hiller are well-integrated. They offer an increased risk while still providing ways to play it safe. I hate being forced to take an already-tough shot over a water hazard: it seems unnecessarily harsh. Hiller's water, however, adds a degree of difficulty while not locking you into approaching the water a certain way. I really liked that.

I appreciated how the white tees (the ams at Hiller) offered true beginner shots. This would be a great course to take newbies to, even with all the water present, as the whites mitigate that threat to a notable degree. Three sets of tees are uncommon in the south from what I've seen, and their presence here helps broaden Hiller's appeal.

Navigation is pleasantly transparent. The course loops around the park and takes you right back to where you started.

The convenient position off I-10 makes for an accessible, appealing stop when you're out on the road.

Bathrooms, playground, parking, and other amenities are readily available.
Cons: Despite occasional respites, especially at the course's beginning and end, there are a lot of very open holes here. This is more a product of geography than anything else, but the course suffers for it. It's doubly noticeable given that the most wooded holes lie at the course's beginning and end, meaning there's a big stretch in the middle of your round where your shots are given lots of leeway, often too much for my taste.

Given the variety of distances and hazards here, and the more occasionally-varied levels of woodedness, the shot variety could be better. I threw hyzers on the vast majority of my shots. The aforementioned openness is partly to blame, but it's not the only cause. More holes like 2, which forces a RH forehand, controlled turnover, or one hell of a thumber, are needed to mix things up. When-all-else-fails tools like mandos go largely un-utilized. A few make-life-easy hyzers could be prevented this way, such as on 6.

Pin placements could be similarly improved. Opportunities to spice up approaches are seemingly missed at times. For example, 7's basket sits wide open, with a group of nearby pines and some shule off to the right going unused. Not every obstacle can be integrated into a course, and not every hole can engage from drive to putt, but unseized opportunities like this stand out in Hiller's relative openness.

A couple of the holes play too close to the road for my tastes, although this would mostly be a concern for wild-armed beginners. More experienced players should have little problem steering clear.

When I played, concrete tees were installed on the intermediates. These were too short for my comfort - especially noticeable on the numerous longer holes - and they're raised several inches off the ground, which prevents a safe approach from behind. Concrete tees are great, of course, but these could have been better executed. The ams and pros still had natural tees when I visited.

A powerline comes into play in a slightly disconcerting way on hole 9. Be sure to aim low or throw high!
Other Thoughts: I always hate giving a lower rating to a course that seems well-liked by many. Hiller has some great endorsements on DGCR from some experienced and knowledgeable reviewers. I'm sorry to say I am less enthused than these fine folks: the openness and lack of shot variety detracted from my experience. Hiller still made for a fun stop along I-10, and I wouldn't talk anybody out of visiting. I just wished for more than Hiller seemed to provide. While there's a nice variety of distances and a decent mix of topographies, the challenge factor and shot variation were lacking for me. C'est la vie.

Disagree with me? Feel free to start a conversation about it! I always enjoy a reasoned dialogue about course opinions.

The Feature from the Back Bay Lagoon

5+    1/16/2012   8/16/2013
Review By: ohtobediscing
This review was updated on 4/21/2015
Pros: I first threw at real (temp)baskets in Hiller Park in '83, at a multi-event tourney that included DG---all of it done with Wham-O! lids or Fastbacks.
So with high expectations I made my annual winter jaunt home to visit the folks and play the new course there.
Because its been a park for so long, there's mature pines, oaks, cypress, and sweetbay, with lots of grassy/sandy expanses and only several holes[mostly the first 9] having enough surrounding vegetation to possibly necessitate disc-hunting.
There's lots of water, with the pond and bays providing great risk, as you really don't want to wade in the stinking soup of salt and fresh water, duck poop, storm runoff and residential and manufacturing effluvia. #s 1, 3, and 10-15 all fly over water.
An anomaly here is almost constant gradual elevation change in the utterly flat topography of the coastal South.
3 tees on every hole, with the long/short tees natural and sandy and the mids cement; the signs are substandard.
The flow of the course is fairly decent, but stay alert the first time for the 4 through 7 transitions, #14 across the street from #s 13 and 15, #17 north of the playground and street, and #18 north of the community garden.
#1 is "Swamp Thing": a 225' throw with an arm of the bay crossing just in front of the pin, with 2-3 tall thin pines obstructing. Drive left and the hanging vegetation eats you alive; fade right and you're dragged to your doom in the deep.
#2 is a long open flat right turn, with vegetable matter attacking from the right and behind the basket.
#3 flirts with an arm of the bay like #1, with denser vegetation though a bit less water.
#4 drives under scraggly low oaks past a sandy wash in the sun [a favorite layabout of snakes] to a basket surrounded by low mounds of dirt.
#5 is the first tunnel shot, bending slightly right under mature oaks with grabby rough everywhere but the narrow fairway.
#6 is similar, but twice as long and bending sharply, endlessly left.
#7 is back into the grassy part of the park, hyzering past a left mando to a basket mothered by scrub oak.
#8 drives past some gateway oaks into the open, over a mostly dry creek and into a pocket in the shrubbery behind the bridge.
#9 bends slightly right through mature pines, with nasty rough to the right, and a cable delineating the parking lot behind the basket as OB.
#10 is an open throw from the west edge of the parking lot, across an arm of the bay that gets hungrier closer to the basket.
#11 uses it all: OB in softball fields[right] and road[left],lake outflow running diagonal from 250' left to 300+' on right, elevation drops 10' to lake and 6' back up to basket, oaks front and center.
#12 is long, with the lagoon left the entire fairway, and about 25' left of the pin. 50' tall oaks block the center, requiring long drives left or right with a strong fade.
#13 is a pleasant open toss across a wide arm of the lake to a peninsula with the basket guarded by two short, full hardwoods..
#14 scoots along sandy washes a few feet uphill through mature pines and oaks, near the park's southern entrance.
#15 is a 12' elevation drop over the creek that feeds the lake, with tennis courts and mature pines on the distant right, the lake and cypress on the distant left, and the basket a looong ways away.
#16 quickly crosses another creek and climbs to a surprisingly hard-to-reach basket among tall, thin pines.
#17 drives across an open expanse to a basket near the road to the right, defended by a droopy old oak.
#s 18-20 are all similar---275+', with lots of twisty oak trunks blocking almost any route you'd choose.
#21 is so short and unoccluded after the last three that most discers swoon, and plow an easy birdie into a 3. Or throw over the shrubbery and into the bay.
Cons: Bathrooms and water only near #s 8, 15 & 16. No seating except at nearby picnic tables on 12 & 17.
The water. Living in the NW, and being used to pristine mountain runoff, I can only describe the water as grotesque.
Hot, humid and buggy March-Sept. unless the wind's blowing, and then just hot & humid. Best to play Oct.-April.
On a bad day, poisonous snakes.
The contractor painted the tees, which can be slick with rain or heavy dew.
Major summer holidays, cars will be parked all over the course. Best choice on these days is to play somewhere else.
Other Thoughts: Out the southern entrance to Pass Road are any # of quickie marts, restaurants, liquor stores and strip joints[remember, an AFB is nearby] within a mile or less.

Hiller Park

1    7/14/2013   7/14/2013
Review By: Scott Allen Miller
Pros: Nice challenge on hole 1 throwing immediately over water. Good variety of shorter and longer holes. Grass kept short.
Cons: Finding the next tee was sometimes tricky. Would be nice if there was a sign with an arrow showing next. Tee boxes were muddy and slippery.
Other Thoughts: Overall I will be back to play again.

SoMi needs help

1    5/5/2013   5/8/2013
Review By: NickRappazini
Pros: Tee pads/Baskets - tee pad fail, standard basket +.5
Cons: Signage - No complete course map. No Scorecards. Missing tee signs, and no distance on the tee. - 1

Tee pads - I love natural tees, but not ones that don't allow for movement. They are not marked and only have a stake in the ground to signify where there are, not which side. -.5

Course Design - If I could rearrange my point system I'd give more negative for this.
First no OUT and IN!!!
Second, no clue as to where to go to the next hole.
Third (which is deplorable), creating the tee shot without thinking of the approach or putt. It seems as the designers only thought about the tee shot and nothing else. A perfect example is hole ten. Along a baseball field, but instead of placing the basket in a challenging green, they decided to move it across a water retention so you have to walk an extra 1,000' around the road, to putt a normal putt, instead of keeping it a bit shorter, placement drive. It's obvious the designers are playing merely off the drive and anticipated no creativity in approaches or putts. -1

Restrooms, Waster, Trash and Benches... For such a big multi-use park I can't believe how rare it is to see any of these. I got to walk 5 holes before finding a place for my dog's business. Didn't see water or benches either. -1
Other Thoughts: I can't see anything on this course that could gain it another point. Hole one is a nice shot, but the only one I can remember, and for Hole 1 to not have a sign of where to start, will never gain a point..,

Very Soggy

1    2/27/2013   3/1/2013
Review By: Cgkortz
Pros: The variability of play was great. The park was clean and well kept. Baskets all in good order. Friendly people
Cons: Park was very soggy every time I picked up my disc it was covered in mud, not sure it had rained I flew in the day before and it did not rain while I was in MS.
Other Thoughts: For my first out of my area disc golf experience it was great.