Ina, IL
Rend Lake College Share

Crazy Layout

1    10/18/2015   10/19/2015
Review By: drsecond
Pros: Great place for opening up for long throws.
Cons: Quite possibly the worst example of course layout and signage on the face of the earth, including courses with no signage!
Other Thoughts: As I played the course, I found the first tee and played the first hole. Then I started to look for the second tee. And I looked and I looked. I found the third tee, the ninth tee,and eventually I found the second tee, by walking backward. Note that the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd holes are on top of each other. Fast forward to the 4th tee. 900+ feet. I throw the wrong direction. Hmmm, this hole isn't 900 feet. Back to the 4th tee and shoot the other direction. After holing it, I walk back toward the 4th tee and stumble across the 5th tee. Which has no usuable information, other than it is 500 feet to the hole. Must have been that hole I was aiming for for the 4th. Seems longer than 500 feet, but what do I know? I hole it, then start looking for hole 6, and look. and look. and look. Eventually I find the tee for hole 7. Play that, and on the way, I see the tee for hole 8. I play hole 8 (I think) then I start walking toward 9. I notice a sign which turns out to be hole 6 behind the one room school. I turns out that I shot the 6 hole when shooting from the 8th tee, and the 8th hole when shooting from the 5th tee. Note that none of the holes have numbers on them at all. I never put a disc into the 5th hole. This course REALLY needs a map available and meaningful signage.

2-4    2/14/2013   2/15/2013
Review By: Flathills
Pros: Only course in immediate area, There are enough trees to make sure you have to hit your lines.
Cons: Absolutely no elevation change.

Ground was very wet in area. Hole 7 basket was surrounded by water so I couldn't finish the hole. Many other very soft and wet areas that I assume will dry up in the summer months.

Many of the holes play along the road, walking paths, right by a Day Care so one has to be careful of when to throw. However, this is a minor con as the road wasn't extremely busy, nobody was on the walking path, and one would have to have a bad throw to have the Day Care be an issue.

Many of the holes play over each other so if there are more than a couple of groups playing I can see waiting for others to play be an issue.

Need an overall map to help someone new figure out where to start and go next, especially the first three tees.

Most holes are the same general layout and don't make you use every aspect of your game.
Other Thoughts: Overall there was a good use of space for what they had to work with. Would like to see more tree holes. Eliminate one of the first three holes and make another one in the woods which would help the confusion and congestion on holes 1-3.

Not too shabby

5+    8/23/2012   8/24/2012
Review By: ervin
This review was updated on 3/12/2013
Pros: Solid distance and a nice--albeit challenging--mix of trees and other obstacles. Some really fun spots to grip and rip. Holes 1-3 are a little tough to get the hang of where the tees are, which hole to throw to, but once you figure out the layout of the holes it makes it much easier. The fourth hole is unreal long. Thankfully there are red tees now, because 987 is just a monster of a hole. Hole 7 is awesome, going straight into the woods with a line for both types of throws rhbh and rhfh, but if it's not almost perfect it's going into the woods.
Cons: It's hard to navigate the first time you play the course. The some of the holes have mini-maps on the tee signs, while others don't have anything. Finding hole 9 was hard because you have to walk down the road parallell with the 5th fairway and look for the tee marker on the right hand side. It goes parallel tees for #1-3 but across the median. The pars are a bit challenging, but with some practice it might get easier.
Other Thoughts: Some course maps would be great.