Valentine, NE
Valentine DGC Share

Better Than Expected

1    9/8/2013   9/9/2013
Review By: mndiscg
Pros: -Lots of elevation. Hole 6 was a fun down hill, 7 a fun valley and 8 was slight uphill followed by a huge downhill. Spotters wouldn't be a bad idea on some of these.
-Some water play, hole 10 shoots towards the creek, 11 along the creek and 12 over the creek.
-Lots of wooded holes. 1-4 are all pretty wooded and all holes have some trees to add challenge.
-Overall the design was great. A great mix of holes of all kinds.
-Multiple pin locations. Not sure how often they are moved but they are there.
-They had a nice little kiosk at the start which included color maps and scorecards on high quality paper. The maps will come in handy later so grab one.
-This course had some hiking and longer walks involved. Often this will be a con but they were enjoyable to me at this course.
-I liked the atmosphere of the park with the bridges, trees, and creek.
-This course has the ability to challenge good players and still be fun for beginners. I think that is important for courses in smaller towns.
Cons: -Lots of ivy, nettle, etc. That is one of my biggest cons of disc golf even though it is one of the hardest to control. It ruins my round even if the course is awesome. It wasn't unbearable here but was present and I think that's important.
-They can't really mow most of the course so the grasses could get a little high in places.
-It can be kind of hard to follow here and there. I don't think this course is played too often so there aren't defined paths worn into the grass. Again, grab the map at the start.
- You could lose a disc in the grass here. I found one and left it in the 4th basket because my phone was dead and I didn't have time to locate an owner.
Other Thoughts: When I read the only review here, I assumed it was a local who hasn't played a ton of courses and it was a bit high. I was wrong! This course is pretty legit.

If this course was played a little more making navigation easier and if there were less bad weeds on the course I would have given it a 4 for sure. This is on one of my routes back to my inlaws so I will probably stop again. It was enjoyable to me and I highly recommend stopping if you ever find yourself in Valentine. This is a gem amongst the sandhills of north central Nebraska.

Short and Sweet!

2-4    5/3/2012   8/10/2012
Review By: jongolf07
Pros: I played this course when it was first opened. It's a pretty cool area. You'll take a neat foot bridge across the creek (which flows pretty well and is about waist deep). You'll see Hole 4 right as you cross over the foot bridge.
Holes 1-3 are just down the path to the east. The first three holes are relatively flat with plenty of trees to get in the way. There are hyzer and anhyzer shots on all three of these holes. They rotate and hole 3 finished near the tee of hole 1.
Take the path back the way you came to get to the next hole.
Holes 4-5 are both up hill and play longer then they look.
Hole 6 is a fairly open shot back down the hill. Don't over shoot this one as it may end up 40'- 50' below the hole or even in the creek.
Number 7 is a nice shot across a ravine. Don't clip a tree as one could end up facing an tough uphill second. Could be a birdie or bogey hole.
Number 8 is a blind downhill shot. You can go left or right on this one.
Hole 9 is the longest at 450' and is a downhill blind shot but a lay up to the left will give you the best chance of a open second shot.
10 - 12 are back in the groomed area of the park and offer many mature trees to avoid. Number 10 is straight shot between some large trees. Again, don't over shoot this one as the creek is 20' feet behind the basket.
Hole 11 has the creek all along the left side and has plenty of trees to avoid.
Hole 12 is a wonderful finishing hole that crosses over the creek with trees off the tee. Either layup, or clear 250' to get over the creek.
I about had a heat attack as a I disturbed a mule deer grazing on hole 8. Good place to observe wildlife as Turkeys can be heard too.

Parking is good as this course doesn't get much play and one can park right on the road by the finishing hole.
Cons: Short Distance on a few holes but it makes up for it with the trees. Was a good workout with the elevation change.
Other Thoughts: All in all, this 12 hole course has a great mix of hyzer and anhyzer holes with elevation changes and plenty of obstacles to challenge the best golfers. Would be a great place for a tournament as the flow looks to be smooth and the last few hole can make or break the round.