Hinsdale, IL
Katherine Legge Memorial Park Share
Uploaded By: notapro Hole #8 (Taken 8/2012)
Hole #8 White Tee

< Prev 1 2 3
Chicago Has Hills?

2-4    8/28/2014   8/28/2014
Review By: nivek1385
Pros: Beautifully manicured, 18-hole course with gentle, rolling hills located in and around multiple lacrosse fields and park buildings. The white tees are large, high quality teepads with quality, sponsored signs. Each hole has 3 "tees" though a good portion are shared tees. There's a good mixture of leftrightstraight, updownflat, and opentight holes. Excellent use of the available land. Well-marked OB areas. Water comes into play on quite a few holes, but isn't overdone. Pars seem right or close to right, unlike other Chicagoland courses that seem too easy (I might even venture to say that some are too hard here...might).
Cons: The red and blue tees (when separate from the white) are not well marked, especially for people who haven't been to the park before. I didn't find my first one until hole 11 during my first round. The tees are only marked by ~4 inch diameter circles at ground level with the appropriate color (two circles about 4-5 feet apart). This would be fine, but they're not always very easy to see, especially if the grass is long or is freshly cut (I dealt with both today as they were cutting the grass while I was throwing).

There seems to be a significant amount of people and dogs walking in the middle of holes without paying attention around them. That's not a big deal, but I could see it being a problem if the park gets busy.
Other Thoughts: I really liked this course and it is one of my favorite country-wide. With a little more work with the extra teesor teesigns for each tee (not just white tees) would easily push this to a 4.5, and both would push it to a 5.

I definitely recommend this course for players of all levels, though with the caveat that beginners should really try to find the red tees and pros find the blue tees, or find a local to guide through the course once or twice.

Great Addition to Chi-town DG

5+    5/1/2014   5/17/2014
Review By: Countchunkula
Pros: This course offers an element lacking in most area courses: elevation. The Chicago suburbs are packed with flat, mostly open courses. KLM adds some elevation change to the mix.

-Good variety of uphill/downhill/flat shots.
-Nice baskets and one set of concrete tees (white). Blue and Red are natural tees when they are not shared with white.
-Good signage at the white tees.
-Enough mature trees to force some shot shaping combined with little or no schule to lose a disc in.
-Decent distance variety for the area.
-High fun factor on the downhills, combined with a few difficult drives that are tough to reach for most players, but rewarding when you do.
-Park style DG: No underbrush, well maintained, short grass with large, mature trees.
-Minimal safety issues.
Cons: -Part time off-leash, dog park: You do not want to try to play the course when the entire park is taken over by the dogs.
-No true multi-throw holes. (9 and 18 are unreachable for most, but not long enough to be real par 4s, NAGS is the likely result of most drives)
-Hole 15 is a little screwy. There are a few pure luck based routes through the trees, or a sweeping RHBH anny or RHFH hyzer line to the left through a wide open field. I still haven't found a line that I like on this hole after repeated play.
Other Thoughts: Great spot for a course. I used to bring my practice basket out here and create my own holes. Too bad the course didn't go in until after we moved.

Lots of fun

1    5/7/2014   5/7/2014
Review By: ScottC
Pros: A great mix of technical shots, wide open/long shots, and short and ace-able, but really fun shots. I really enjoyed playing this course. There are a number of really great challenges that keep you thinking of the best flight path. Many of the long holes are in wide open fields which lend themselves to great long bombs. And every now and then you have a hole that you could ace, but you still have to have the chops to do it.
The park is beautiful. Very well kept, and the creek going through it is low and very neat. It adds a great non-threatening water hazard to the mix.
Cons: There are some holes that are right along the fence to private property. You definitely have to re-think the shots you want or you risk losing it somewhere you're really not going to get into.
Other Thoughts: A lot of fun overall. A really great course, well thought out and planned. Kudos to the designers.

1    10/28/2013   10/28/2013
Review By: Bombsaway21
Pros: Really nice course with a lot of hills and a creek running through the course. Well kept course.
Cons: Lacrosse fields around so it might be congested in the summer time with games going on.
Other Thoughts: One of the better courses around. I will definitely be telling all my friends about this course and I recommend you try it out.

Come on baby, get in the road. Come on now, in the middle of the road, yeah.

1    8/31/2013   9/5/2013
Review By: Three Putt
This review was updated on 9/30/2013
Pros: When I was planning to get to the new Oak Book I was excited to see a new course in the area (Pros: I wouldn't have to stop at Madison Meadows.) I was a bit confused; I wondered why I had never heard of this new, highly-rated course.

KLM is a cool park. It's a really well maintained park with a cool old lodge on site and a long walking path that winds through the park. The park has a nice rolling topography with a creek cutting through the low spot. It really is a very, very nice park.

The course itself works its way back and forth along the contours of the park, using the elevation changes well. The site is lightly wooded so there are some trees in your way as you wind your way around. A few holes seemed memorable: One hole shot downhill toward a pin by the creek, # 9 was a pretty shot that went over a hedgerow, #17 shot downhill at a protected pin past the creek. There are good tees signs and the course flows well. There isn't a ton of distance shots, but the course ends on a nice 400'+ uphill shot that you need to bring your big boy pants for.
Cons: The course isn't wooded enough to force you to do anything in particular off the tee and doesn't really punish bad shots. It's an "equalizer" design in that you can get outdriven by a large margin, but unless the long drivers convert their birdie putts the shorter throwers can easily catch back up on the approach shots. It helps keep players with a wide variety of skill levels all close and can lead to some fun rounds, but in the end it's so-so golf. I threw RHBH hyzers all day; there never was a reason to throw anything else.

The holes shoot back and forth and get pretty close together. Given the popularity of the course, it gets to be a shooting gallery. Add in how close some shots get to the walking path and it adds up to not the safest design I've ever seen. There is also what looks like lacrosse fields on the back; #12/13/14/15 could all be unplayable if those fields are in use (hole #13 shoots directly across one of them.) It seems like the course might not fit in with all the other park uses very well.

The tees are dirt and well worn. With the type of traffic the course is getting, it needs a solid tee off area. ***UPDATE-Word is that concrete tees have been installed as of 9/27/13***

#15 is a pinball shot, but there is an open field to the left so I don't know why anybody would try to pinball it through there. Just throw it out to the left and take the open approach.
Other Thoughts: History: Katherine Legge Memorial Park originally was a weekend getaway for the President of International Harvester. When his wife Katherine died, he built a lodge specifically for retreats for the women who worked at IH. The land was donated to the Village of Hinsdale in the 70's. The lodge is still there, available for rentals. Oddity: The park seems to be home to the laziest squirrels on the planet; they just sack out and sun themselves on the picnic tables and don't really seem to care if you are there or not.

KLM is a decent course in a really nice park, but after a few holes I realized why I had never heard of it before. It's a very average, middle-of-the-road course design. There are some nice holes but no standout holes. It's the type of place recreational players love because they can hang in with the big boys and good players hate because there are no risk/reward shots to give them any separation from the pack.

The rating is a crapshoot. It depends on what you value as a player. If you value the shots over everything else, this course really doesn't deliver. If you value the "fun factor" this course has plenty to offer. I ended up just rating it in the middle; if there were better tees I'd probably bump it up to a 3. I will go back; I love Oak Brook and KLM is definitely an improvement over Madison Meadows for a course to play on those trips.

***UPDATE-I will possibly bump up my rating a bit when I get a chance to play the new concrete tees***

Fun!

1    8/9/2013   8/9/2013
Review By: ElementZ
Pros: I had a blast playing here! I think the pros are best listed as concisely as possible.

+ Awesome flow. I've never played here before or even looked at the map and the flow was excellent. There are no long walks between holes which is awesome. The design of this course really took advantage of the park's landscape e.i. elevation, trees, and creek.

+ Very clean. This park is located in a seemingly really rich area of Hinsdale and is very well taken care of. No trash, grass is mowed, etc... On top of that, the houses you'll pass on the drive here are jaw-dropping.

+ Excellent equipment. The baskets are great and the tee signs are easy to find and very informative. The only slight con is that the tees are dirt, which isn't a problem at all when the park is dry.
Cons: I don't think there were too many cons, in all honesty.

- From my understanding, this course can get outrageously full to the point of being unplayable. I played at 9:45 am after the dog party ended and before the other park goers were awake. When I was here, it was very empty.

- While there were some cool holes, there were no spectacular holes. The course really utilizes the land to make some good holes like 3, 8, 9, and 17.
Other Thoughts: I was up in the air between and 3.5 and 4 and I went to a 4 for these reasons.

My experience was awesome. It's directly off the highway and is one of my favorite courses in the Chicago area. If I get the chance, I'll definitely swing by again. Maybe my second time visiting here will be more humbling and I'll downgrade to a 3.5, but I'm sticking with 4.0 as it is now.

allways a good time

5+    7/27/2013   7/27/2013
Review By: booradly
Pros: -one of the best maintained parks i have ever seen
-good signs
-almost no chance of losing a disc
-a good challenge for beginners but still a lot of fun for advanced players
-the land in this park is used very well. the course has 3 holes that make good use of a hill that is in the course(3,7,8). the course also makes good use of large trees that are in the park.
- the park district here did an awesome job making bridges over the small creek that runs through the park with 2 wooden bridges and several places that have flag stones for you to step on to cross the creek along holes 4,5,6,
-this course has a ton of chances to ace with out having the course be too easy.
-has 3 or 4 holes that let you test your arm
Cons: - some shots can get a little repetitive
- the park gets a lot of use and a path runs next to several fairways
- the course is a little short
-can get very busy
-can really use some better pads several of the pads on the hills are starting to angle down the hill and the pad at hole one has 2 metal spikes sticking up out of the ground
Other Thoughts: -this is a very solid course and have never had a bad time playing it. i had only been playing for about a month the first time i played this course and it was nice that i could make it to a lot of the pins in 2/3 holes and now that i i actually know what i am doing i have a lot of fun just going for aces and trying to find hard lines to hit.

Best Chicago 18 in the area without making long road trip

2-4    7/1/2013   7/1/2013
Review By: Lefty12
Pros: I am probably repeating a lot here so hopefully i added something:
-some of the best elevation changes for the area and the course makes great use of it by going up and down which makes for exciting drives
-course layout is done well - when I played for the first time all I had to do was scan the area for the next tee post for a couple seconds and I was set. And I don't feel like it overlaps
-landscape-fantastic old tall trees which is a huge pro compared to wading through weeds and annoying underbrush. Grass well manicured, they were mowing as I played today- overall very well kept park
-friendly players- which is a must in this course -the reason you will see in my cons. A nice guy asked if I was playing in the tournament coming up at 11 and when I said no he said- do you want to be? I said no thank you but thanks for the offer
-man made amenities- Porto potty strategically placed mid round at hole 10 - convenient -also nice garbage cans and they weren't overflowing- the park guys were emptying them when I was there- I really appreciate the effort by people to keep this place clean. And the old Tudor buildings are definitely a plus(no eyesore buildings here)
-great mix of sun and shade- didn't feel like I was being baked in the sun and didn't feel like I was closed in by trees.
-fun shots on almost every hole- up, down, around creek, through trees under trees over creek. I like the distance- but my drives aren't earth shattering. I have a decently long tomahawk and a lot of tees we placed so I could not drop one in from the tee pad with a tree overhead. I seem to have #17's number - maybe because its very lefty friendly

Cons: My cons revolve around TIMING
-obviously dirt Tpads aren't ideal when it's wet- but when the dirt is dry it's almost like a clay tennis court allows for shuffling and pivoting so when it's dry to me it's a pro but wet- it's just not playable, so time your round a couple days after rain and make sure sun has been in the forecast
-crowded with players- when I went on a sunny Saturday there were too many players- some fast some slow- luckily everyone seems nice and waved me on when I felt as if I was rushing them. But today I was behind a pair that was epically slow- I practiced putting to delay my next tee and try not to rush them but they were just really slow and I couldn't figure out why- I throw the extra 1 or even 3 discs even on drives and of course on putts that I missed but these guys were too slow and didn't wave me on so it warranted a hole skip. So long story short go early and there won't be a crowded course
-park goers in the way- for the most part people stick to the path which is not typically in play, but today there was a group of kids and one adult-And they were just playing in the creek even when the slow pair ahead of me yelled that they were throwing they didn't budge. So that hole skip behind the slow pair and the hole with the kids was a great decision. Again if you go early less/ no park goers
Other Thoughts: Best 18 hole course in the area for the Chicago crowd! Remember- TIMING -Go on a dry sunny day at 9 am and your round should be free of any significant cons. (Now that I say that it will probably be crowded at 9 am!) the other course that has more distance shots and is min 18 holes but not an as-beautiful park is Madison Meadows in Lombard. My two favorite 18 hole courses(MM has 19 though) in the vicinity of Chicago, Katherine legge edges it out with great trees elevation changes and trickier shots- and classic tudor architecture

Solid course close to Chicago

5+    6/21/2013   6/21/2013
Review By: Badger Dan
Pros: Located in a beautiful old park with mature oak trees and a gentle stream running through the center of it, you couldn't ask for a much better spot for a close-to-the-city Chicago course. Located right off I-55, Katherine Legge is very accessible from LSD or 90/94. There is a gas station blocks away, on E 55th near 294 that sells discs and anything else you could need for a successful round.

The course flows nicely from hole to hole and offers a wide variety of shots from a distance and direction standpoint. While there are no massive, 500+ ft holes, there also aren't any dinky 180 footers to out drive with your putter. The elevation change is nice although I wouldn't call it hilly. It seems there is a natural slope down to the stream that comes into play nicely on many holes. I especially enjoy the downhill shot on #8 with the drop to the stream behind the basket and down again at #17 crossing the stream one last time. Also really like going along the stream for a long winding shot on #4 and the bomb over the aqueduct into the trees on what is perhaps the signature hole, #9. While the trees are not dense or crowded anywhere, they do come into play on a number of holes adding difficulty and character. A good variety of pins to the left and right making for an interesting round for both backhand and forehand players (righty/lefty).

Baskets are in good condition. Nice practice pin with markers for measuring putt distance. The park is well groomed, no dense rough requiring an expedition for errant throws. The only real OB obstacles come on 14 and 15 with a fence that borders private property. The course is clean offering a number of obvious garbage bins and porta johns to encourage responsible park use. Never had an issue with dogs or their excrement. Owners seem to be attentive.
Cons: The obvious one here is the dirt tees. They are well defined and large enough but with some rain, they inevitably become slick or muddy. Katherine Legge is a multi use park where pedestrians could come into play on certain holes but it never seems to be a huge problem. Has yet to be really crowded when I've played and pedestrians are always courteous as long as they're not completely oblivious to the disc golf course. Those people deserve to get hit... While the terrain is well used, there could be clearer marked "pro" tees for those looking for more of a challenge. I have seen some blue markers but the park really does have enough space for dual (am/pro) concrete tees. That would put this course at a 4/5 for sure. The only hole that I really dislike is 15 because it is a little too much of a crapshoot with very small, undefined lanes thru the trees. A couple of very birdie-able holes could be criticized for being too easy (see #5, #10 and #13) but in my honest opinion, holes like this add to the variety and flow of a course. Think about ball golf with intermittent par 3s.
Other Thoughts: A lot of fun to be had here. An approachable course for beginners but challenging enough to be fun for the more experienced player. Convenient for Chicago residents and people in the burbs alike.

Worth the trip

5+    6/16/2013   6/16/2013
Review By: chrismilano
Pros: I have played this course multiple times and I will try to list all of the pros.

+The park is enormous and the designers did a fantastic job using the space allotted.

+There is an elevation change on every hole, with the exception of 4 or 5 (#4-6, 9, 12)

+Multiple tee off locations.

+The creek running through the middle of the course comes into play on many of the holes.

+A lot of the holes are super challenging, while others are very easy to birdie.

+Each hole has multiple routes to the pin. A golfer can throw BH or FH on most of the holes. However, there are a few that force a certain shot.

+An overall great course. It will challenge almost all skill levels.

+Baskets are all in good upright shape.

+The course is clean, almost no trash.

+Within 5 minutes of the highway. Super convenient.

Cons: -The tee pads are all natural, and can get super slippery after rain. This course would easily be a 4 for me if it had some concrete pads.

-It doubles as a dog park, so watch out where you step cause there is dog sh*t galore.

-I wish there were more trees at times. Some of the holes have a ton, while others are wide open.

-Bugs, but not as bad as some other courses.

-If its your first time on the course then navigation can be difficult. Follow a local.
Other Thoughts: Just a great course. If you are around the Chicagoland area, or just passing through, then it is definately worth checking out.

Plus, this place has a monthly tournament and weekly doubles league for those who enjoy the more competitive side of the sport.

< Prev 1 2 3