Topeka, KS
Crestview Park Share
Uploaded By: scarpfish   (Taken 7/2009)
Kiosk near first tee

Not the Best View

1    1/11/2017   1/11/2017
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Crestview Park is a pretty good 18 holes in a pretty nice park. There are concrete tees, and most of them have a sign with distance and a picture of the hole that highlights pin locations. The baskets are mismatched, and a couple were beat up, but there are 18, plus one for a practice target.

The course is mostly open and grassy, with some very large old trees that can get your drives if you don't give them a wide enough berth. All par 3 in the layout as I played it, and not particularly long or difficult. Elevation changes are not severe, but in places the hills can create some bad rolls around the basket. There is a river along one side of the park, and it is in play behind the basket on hole 1. On some holes there is OB that can make it a bit more interesting.

I liked the quick play, and it was easy enough to find my way around the place. It had plenty of room to let go with the big drives, and enough trees to give some variation from hole to hole.
Cons: Not a hard course, no extreme tests of accuracy. The tee pads were not all the same size, some were pretty short, and there were several with muddy spots at the end where the grass was trampled to death.

A few tees had no signs, and I played the old hole 10, which had an old bucket with a broken chain mounted on a moveable base. I guess I totally missed the alternate hole 10, I didn't know anything about it till I scrolled through the photos before writing this review. It looks like it has much more vegetation than the rest of the holes. You do have to walk across the parking lot to get from 15 to 16.

There are spots that holes are near sidewalks, roads, baseball fields, and areas that others are also likely to be using. I saw multiple dog walkers, some kids on the way home from school, a jogger and a few other randos walking in and around the park.
Other Thoughts: Crestview has the old school charm that is common to disc golf courses from the early days of the sport. In comparison to modern courses it is a little dull. The park is nice enough, and the trees look beautiful in the photos, I would like to see them in the summer with full canopy some time.

I say it is not too hard, but I did get 4 penalty strokes from going OB, and the wind was strong enough to be a major nuisance. I finished 7 over with no birdies. I also saw a bad bounce and roll take a disc into the river on hole 1. The water was mostly frozen over, but the banks were steep and muddy. The disc might not have been recoverable on a lot of days, but this one was salvaged.

I will probably be back in the summer to play this one again eventually, since I live fairly close now. It would be a good course for beginners, and does make you throw some different shaped shots, while still leaving some room for error.

Cody played a few holes with me, and told me about the Groove Shack Gift Shop, who has a wide variety of discs. Also he mentioned they have league play on Wednesdays starting in Spring. Tip of the cap to him.

Go for it

2-4    12/27/2010   12/27/2010
Review By: kcplease
Pros: Good variety
Nice park
Feels very friendly
Good poeple
LSDiscs is not far away, so a good store is super close
Well mowed usually
Cons: Fairways in the fall can be an issue, those old oaks dump lots of leaves
Configuration can be confusing
disregard the numbers on the baskets, they mean nothing
Call the LSDIscs guys if you donow know where to go, they do. great people -785 220 1226
No tee signs, which would help greatly
Other Thoughts: Good course, tee signs would give them another half a point, because they are needed, since it rambles through the park. You will need help the first time. The course varies a lot, but if you are patient, it is worhth the wait.