Lodi, CA
Micke Grove Share
Uploaded By: Mavurick Hole #15 (Taken 2/2014)
3 / 200ft.   3 / 245ft.   3 / 260ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Fun 18 hole course

5+    12/22/2013   12/23/2013
Review By: Mavurick
Pros: Played the 18 holes twice today. The course is in great shape.

Can't get over how huge the Tee Pads are. They are plenty long and wide. They are the best I have ever played on (what you would expect from a newer course).

The signs are perfect: good map of where the hole placements are regarding the trees, color coded holes, and hole placement marked with its distance. The cap on top of the sign post marks the location of where the basket is placed. Best system I have seen to date.

Hole 18 was in it water hazard position which I dig. All holes have 3 basket placements.

I enjoy how some of the holes are on pure grass like a real golf course. You won't be able to skip your discs up to the baskets like dirt. It makes them a different challenge.
Cons: All the holes were in RED placements (shortest). Most, if not, all holes were under 300'. I am wondering if they had a junior or female tournament recently. I would have liked at least a mix of short and long holes (which they usually have).

Hole #2, #5, and #6 are almost identical to each other.

Occasionally have to wait for cars, bicycles, or people to pass by on the roads or walking paths. But the wait is not long.

You do have to pay $5 - weekdays, $6 - weekends, $10 - special holidays. But it's well worth the price.
Other Thoughts: Some complain about when the baskets are in the water hazard positions. Well good news, there is a local that tries to pull out all the discs from the pond every few months or so. He will call you if you have your number on the disc. He was there today. He had already rescued 7 discs. If you don't want to chance it, get the floating Wahoo (throws = to a Valkyrie or Champion Tern) for hole #16, #17, or #18. It throws well for those 3 placements. But please do one or the other vs complaining so they will continue to periodically use the water hazard placements for added risk/fun. Hardly any other DGC's in the region have water we get to throw around.

Overall it is one of the better courses in Northern California. Can't wait to go back.

A Great Start in an Impressive Park

1    9/22/2012   9/27/2012
Review By: Magiken
This review was updated on 4/16/2014
Pros:
A number of interesting/challenging shots
Great tee boxes
Easy to find
Practice Basket
Beautiful park overall with playgrounds, picnic areas, a zoo, a museum, restrooms, water, and who knows what else I missed.
Friendly locals
Beginner friendly-ish (more on this below)
Cool method for identifying the basket positions (uses a color coded pole cap)
Cons:
In spots it's a bit tricky to navigate depending on the basket positions. Pay attention on #s 3, 8, 10, 11, and 13 to ensure you're throwing at the correct basket.
Pedestrian/vehicle traffic is very much in play.
Parking fees. These vary depending on the day and time but it's $6 on the weekends, and I think $5 on weekdays, $10 on holidays, $20 if it's a full moon, and $30 if you're driving a red car. Granted, there's a lot going on in this park, but it's a bit steep if you're just playing the disc course. Hopefully some of that money goes to the course. If that's true, then I'm cool with it.
Tips:
Do use the map. They are available at the entrance gate. I didn't have one initially but got told later they existed.
When you enter the park, you will come to a turning circle. Go left, and when it dead ends, the #1 tee and practice basket are on your right. Park anywhere convenient.

Random Thoughts:
This is a great start to what should be a fun little course once it's complete (although it is fun now). Right now the tee areas are all finished and it seems like all the alternate basket positions are in the ground. The only thing missing are the signs, which we were told by Mike (who I believe is the course designer, and a nice friendly dude as well) were coming next week. So I'd call it 90% done at this point. As for the course itself, it basically wraps around the main area of a good size and very nice regional park. The general theme of this course is fairly precise ~200-250 foot shots through some pretty dense trees. Quite a few shots are tunnelish with very low ceilings with #1 getting you started right off the bat. The ceiling on #1 might be 5 feet off the ground. Good times for your first throw of the day. Outside of that, you do have some shots where you have room to let fly but even in those times it usually means you're trying to hit an open slot in the trees near the basket. But with all that said, I never felt boxed in on second shots. There are decent paths to get to the basket should your first throw go awry. Skill-level wise, I would think an advanced player or above will do quite well here. None of the holes are particularly long or difficult from a par perspective. I actually threw an under par round which is pretty rare for me. All of this also means that you'd do pretty well to bring beginners here and expect that they'll have a good time, however, with the closeness on some of the holes to people, cars, and water, you might want to skip some holes or throw very cautiously, which leads me to the Cons. Quite a few holes (2, 5, 6, 7, 12, 13, and 15) have you throwing directly into the road which is a bit unnerving even though you can see the traffic pretty well. #12 in particular I'd suggest moving the tee box back on to alleviate the fear factor. I don't know what's normal, but on the day I went, there was a heavy amount of cars coming through. It's also a bit inconvenient to have to run and get your disc out of the road before it gets run over. But, with that said, I understand that they did the best with what they had and I suppose it's better to take you out over the road then over the fence. Roads are much easier to climb. ;-)

Bottom Line:
This is a beautiful park with about as good a course as you could squeeze out of it. While some shots are a little too close to the peeps, for the most part, it was a fair and enjoyable experience. Kudos and thanks to the course designers for creating another fun destination in NorCal.

Update 04/16/2014:
I had a chance to revisit this park over the weekend and was impressed with the progress. All of the signs are in place and they are very clear and descriptive showing alternate basket positions, next tees, OB areas, and other important bits of info (like don't climb the fence, and in case you forgot, don't climb the fence). I really like the alternate basket positions and the way the course has a mix of long and short shots now. That really added a nice bit of variety to the round that wasn't there on my first visit. I was also happy to see a couple minor adjustments to the tee/basket positions that lessened some of the danger of being close to the road(s). One thing I forgot to mention in my prior review above was that water is in play on a few holes, and I don't mind that at all. There are certainly safe routes but direct routes are not for the timid. ;) Summing up, I'm not sure if the overall course is like this all the time, but I'm quite pleased with the result. I have bumped my score up a disc in response. Bravo!

check it out

5+    8/18/2012   8/23/2012
Review By: sofro30
Pros: multiple choice of shots,some tight technical,some wide open.variety of challenges
Cons: 4 holes in very soft sandy dirt.restrooms and garbage cans are available,but not very close.roadways are in flight path on a couple holes
Other Thoughts: its gonna be a lot nicer with concrete tee pads and once the loose dirt packs in. beautiful lake and fountain,lots of picnic areas,could be great location for tournaments

New Course (Yeah)

5+    8/15/2012   8/15/2012
Review By: jasonandsharon
This review was updated on 1/19/2013
Pros: 18 holes in Lodi, good use of available land in a very cool park complete with a zoo, an amusement park, and gardens. Some water hazards (possible con for some). Multiple pin positions should make for some changeups.
Cons: Sometime plays too close to roads and multi-use areas for my own personal comfort.
Other Thoughts: The course is a work in progress, the baskets only went into the ground four days ago. You can clearly see the prep work going into pads and signs coming. That being said it wasn't to hard to figure out navigation. The only mistake made was we played 5 before realizing that 3 and 4 were across the road. I have to admit I came to this course a little prejudiced against it. I was well familiar with Micke Grove and the available land and how overall flat it all truly is, and I know the park wasn't going to give up the beautiful 100 year oak areas. But I was pleasantly surprised, the course designers did a good job putting 18 decent holes into a high traffic multi use park. The course winds through mostly barren flat dirt under relatively young oaks. But there are a good number of shots woven into the course and what little elevation there is is used to advantage to provide engaging shots.
Teepads and signs are now in and pin placements located by color coordinated pole tops on the signs.