Chapin, SC
Crooked Creek Park - Original 18 Share
Uploaded By: snappyfingers Hole #12 (Taken 7/2011)
Hole #12 Approach

Good Course

1    6/30/2014   7/8/2014
Review By: DGLobo999
Pros: Nice layout with lots of options on holes and routes with alternate placements and tees. Good tees. Signage okay. Lots of risk/reward. Good variation in distance and shots required. Very enjoyable and mostly easy to navigate.
Cons: A bit wooly and overgrown in places when I played. The tee shot in #6 (I think) where you have to throw over the walking path seems very dangerous and hardly worth the risk of hitting a walker with a blind hyzer. Lost hole #12 completely - never did find the hole but went on to #13. Need some help there.
Other Thoughts: Very much worth stopping and playing. Kudos to the designers.

Well shaded and fun course

1    5/20/2014   5/26/2014
Review By: ricklev
Pros: -Nice birdie opportunities through the trees
-Nex-T signs are fairly easy to follow to get to the next tee
-It's a nice walk in the park, whether you play well or not
-Trees provide nice shade when it's hot, though this also invites bugs.
Cons: -Some garbage, though fortunately it appears they do a pretty good job of putting it in the trash
-Some construction going on near hole #11
Other Thoughts: People in this park were very friendly. There are a few interesting holes with a creek surrounding the basket area, though some parts of the creek did not have water. Hole #17 offers a really nice drive off the tee with a dogleg left at the end. The fairway shot into the basket on an island keeps it interesting. I really enjoyed #17 and played it a few times. Overall, I had a great time playing this course.

2-4    3/15/2012   3/23/2012
Review By: tiger5
Pros: Overall a pretty challenging wooded course. I really like the design of the course, it forces you to shape shots and really be able to control your mid-ranges. A couple tight fairways and short par 3's.
Tee pads have bag holders and several of them have benches as well. The layout is a great use of terrain with a good mix up uphill, downhill and slanted hill shots. I would call this a right-hand friendly course, not a lot of dog-leg rights maybe only one on the entire course.
Very enjoyable course to play, worth checking out if your on I-26.
Cons: Signage and next tee markers would help a lot! First time playing I couldn't find several of the tee pads, ending up walking all the way back to the map at the first tee to take a pic of it with my phone.
Either hole 15 or 16 you have to walk back up the fairway of the previous hole in order to get to the next tee pad.
It's easy to get turned around if you've never played there before.
*There are a lot of people who use the walking trails around the course FYI, cause you can't see them on hole 5 from the tee pad. Even had a guy walk right up the fairway on one of the holes and didn't even know it, looking at us like we were crazy....
Other Thoughts: This course has potential for sure, I think if the signage was a little better it could easily be a 4+ in my opinion. The course is challenging, I threw a lot of mid-range, a little driver nothing crazy.

Great as an 18-hole course

1    3/20/2011   4/16/2011
Review By: bjreagh
This review was updated on 6/29/2012
Pros: [This review is primarily about the original 18 holes.]- Crooked Creek is a well-designed, mature, and nicely maintained public course. The course has excellent baskets, terrific tee signs, and 2 sets of concrete tees. It uses the natural features of the land very well, playing up, down, and level as well as left, straight, and right. The course did not feel long, but there is a good variety of hole lengths- with distances of 4 in the 100's, 5 in the 200's, 7 in the 300's and 2 in the 400's from the long tees.

I would describe it as being in the woods, but the fairways are clear and spacious usually requiring you to navigate around only a few isolated trees. The creek that winds through much of the course not only adds to the beauty of the setting, but does come into play several times. (It is not too difficult to avoid and was shallow and clear when I played and if I had thrown a disc in it I would have been able to retrieve it.) The best 2 holes use the creek effectively- #2 plays downhill and makes you decide layup or go for the basket on the other side and #7 plays to an "island" green.

The course and park are both well-maintained. Everything is here that you need- ample parking, nice restrooms in the rec center, a picnic pavilion by holes 1 and 2, and a kiosk with a course map.
Cons: The walking trail crosses a couple of fairways, sometimes right in front of the tee. This is an obvious hazard, and if the trail is super busy you may just have to make your own tee on the other side or might never have an opening to safely throw. The redesign of 9 and 10 is complete and playable, but navigation was confusing finding these holes, and then the hole numbers did not match up for awhile. (the map on this site is the old configuration and does not really help.)

Major con- the additional 8 holes. They are completely separate from the rest of the holes. Tees are natural marked only by ground markers that are hard to find. The holes play way too close to things like roads and ball fields. These holes are forced into an area that does not work for disc golf. Why not 9? Well it looks like hole 1 is proposed to run through a narrow stretch of pricy landscaped land between a road and tennis courts- probably never going to be approved. Navigation is hard and I only played 3 of the holes, and then we could not find the rest. In my opinion these 8 need to be removed (or at least separated into a different course- Original/New or North/South), because I feel they actually detract from the original course and is almost deceiving to say Crooked Creek has more than 18 holes. But this should be decided by the locals that know it best. *[Update- looks like the 18 and 9 are now listed as separate courses on DGCR.]
Other Thoughts: Despite what the signs may say, most of the holes will be considered par 3 by today's standards and there are several birdie and ace opportunities, but I could justify a few of the holes as par 4's that require a couple of well-placed shots before you can approach the basket. The course appears to be popular/crowded with adults and kids, evidence that it is a good course enjoyed by all.

As far as my rating goes, I was a little shocked at some of the 4.5's of other reviewers- this course is very nice and solid from 1-18, but it is not epic nor is it a national disc golf destination, and it is not anything like the courses I personally have given 4.5's to. (Maybe I missed out on something special on the extra holes I could not find, but if you can't find them, it doesn't matter if they are good or not!) That being said, it is still worthy of a stop if you are close to or traveling between Augusta and Rock Hill, but it is is not the reason why I traveled to the Augusta area.

Woods and Creeks

2-4    8/7/2010   8/7/2010
Review By: maynes35
Pros: This is a very well maintained course. Almost every hole has a bench, trashcan, and multiple bag hooks. Great concrete tee pads, with 2 (or 3 on some) tee locations. There are plenty of twists and turns, both right and left throughout the course. You can get a map and scorecard from the building (gym?) by the parking lot. Each hole has a nice hole layout sign on at the back tee pad. Awesome island hole #7 (although it ate my wife's Cyclone). Cool raised basket on 15 or 16, with steps up. Lots of tight bending shots will have to be made to score low.
Cons: My biggest issue was the lack of length out there. It plays pretty short throughout, with only a handful of long shots. It is a little confusing where the new holes were added between 8 and 9 (but I actually thought they were nice holes for just being placed in there). After #8 walk straight up toward the woodchips, that's where we teed off, for new (temp) #9. You can find yourself having a tree filled day out there. I shot great in the first round, but the second round I hit trees on at least half the holes (but that's on me more than the course I guess). If your a beginner you'll like the shortness but bang a bunch of trees I'd say.
Other Thoughts: If you are going after an ace or birdie on #7 either play a floater or have a spotter. It isn't clear, rocky creek water surrounding it. When we played it was thick muddy water and I had trouble finding one of my wife's discs that I watch land next to me in the water. Awesome hole but can be dangerous. A local player said he bought a floater disc specifically for that one tee shot! Overall I really liked the course and will play it again. It still comes in behind Earlewood for me of the "Midland" courses.

Nice Course

2-4    5/9/2010   5/9/2010
Review By: Joe_Maumy
This review was updated on 5/11/2010
Pros: Great well laid out course through heavy woods. Not enough wood to where your knocking on trees every hole but enough to keep you on your toes. Concrete tee pads and good markings to all the holes. Good vibe and a super clean park.You can get course maps in the rec center, they are open late and weekends, just go inside and ask at the counter (free).
Cons: 10 and 11 are currently out of play as best I can tell. I did find the 10 and 11 baskets on some other holes but I can only assume they are just for secondary pin placements
Other Thoughts: This is a great course and I am glad I got to play it. I am in the area for a few more days and hope to hit it again one evening. If your anywhere near the area this is worth the visit.Hole 2 runs right next to the main street so keep that in mind when letting it rip. Hole 7 is an island hole and a possible ace...or a swimmer. Totally fun.

Crooked, and sometimes treacherous creek

2-4    2/7/2010   2/7/2010
Review By: forehandfranz
Pros: This is a well designed course in a pleasant setting of classic SC pine with that crooked little creek flowing through about a half dozen of the holes. It plays short, for the most part (the pars are rather antiquated for today's throwers), but has a great variety of challenges to keep all players honest.

It has some nice amenities- the tee signs are outstanding as are the LARGE concrete tee pads, and bag hangers, and "next tee signs".

My favorite holes are #2 (a 300' + dog right that has the creek just before the green - do I layup or risk the creek on the ace run?), hole # 7 is an island green surrounded by creek that is short (150' or so downhill) but that creek will gobble your disc when the winter rainfalls make it 2' deep or more!). Finally # 8 is a long dog right which has 2 alleys after the drive- hope that you go long or short and avoid the island in the middle- great example of placement!

Cons: Hole #6 seemed a little contrived - a sharp "pitch" right and a putt. Holes # 10 & 11 have been re- directed and placed on other fairways (which are not marked on the kiosk). It would be helpful to be made aware of this before you walk all over looking for the missing holes!

Other Thoughts: My rounds included only 1-18. I did not play the additional 8 which I'd heard were very wet ( and do not yet have tee pads.)

As I mentioned, the pars (4's and 5's) are antiquated. I found only two of the holes to be reasonable par 4's - #8 and temp #10. But what the heck - you gotta just play your own game, right?

Crooked Creek

2-4    7/14/2008   7/17/2008
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 7/2/2015
Pros: Crooked Creek was a pleasant surprise the first time I played it back in 2008. Seven years later, I finally got to make my return visit to the course. The course was just as good the second time around. Let's just hope I don't have to wait as long for the next round here.
- Crooked Creek offers some of the best, most creative, most enjoyable holes for any course I've played. For a nearly exclusive wooded course, it's amazing how much variety this course offers. And with the creative side of the layout, the designers do an excellent job of offering interesting looks without crossing into gimmicky territory. The island hole on #7 is the perfect example of how a smartly designed hole shot look and play.
- Good variety of holes, several short holes to several long holes over 400 feet, sharp doglegs, holes with good elevation changes. The course does a great job of offering good birdie chances as well as tough par 3s throughout. Take any stretch of four or five holes, and you'll see one or two easier layouts as well as a tough one or two as well. For example, the stretch of holes #6 - 9 offers two sub 200 foot, high risk/reward layouts in #6 & 7. That's followed by two of the course's toughest layouts. #8 is an uphill, 425 foot (or 475 to position B), par 4. This is the first true, multi-shot hole on the course. That's followed by the new, tough layout on #9, the course's only hole longer than 500 feet. My scores on this stretch ranged from 2 to 6.
- Many holes have alternative/longer tee pads to make the course that much more difficult. While the multiple layouts are a wise choice on some holes, others should stick to one layout and offer a superior layout and/or challenge. For example, hole #3 in the longs is a great hole, and a challenging par 3. In the short position, it's a simple par 3, and loses some of its luster. Why not make this a good hole all the time, rather than dilute it some of the time?
- The course offers a great risk/reward factor. The course tilts heavily towards accuracy over distance. If you can hit your lines, you will see a lot of birdies and birdie putts. If not, you'll be hitting trees left and right. I was split pretty much down the middle with lots of birdie putts and lots of scrambles to save par, or bogey.
- Great tee signs - show hole layouts and distances. I like the holes that have the added marker to show what position the basket is in.
- Great park and facilities- numerous ball fields, tennis courts, rec center building, walking trails. I was surprised how good everything was for seeming to be in such a rural area. Oh yeah, and there's another 9-hole layout here as well. Just in case you didn't know that.
- Great tee signs - show hole layouts and distances. There are enough blind tee shots that good tee signs come into play.
- Great park and facilties- numerous ball fields, tennis courts, rec center building, walking trails. I was surprised how good everything was for seeming to be in such a rural area. Parks & Rec department has done a great job with things.
Cons: - The first couple holes seem a little out of place compared to the rest of the course. Holes #1 -3 play close to the Rec Center building (#1 & 3) or the main road (#2). After that point, the course really takes off.
- Navigation could be improved at times, especially on the long transitions. There were usually at least one next tee sign. The problems is the signs usually didn't list what hole number it was pointing you towards, and with other holes nearby, it's not difficult to bypass a hole or two. For example, after finishing hole #11, the first thing you see is the tee for #13, followed by the basket for #12. I also, after finishing hole #1, went straight to hole #3, finished that hole, and got to #4 before realizing I was already off on my scorecard.
- There's major confusion as to what's going on with the new #9 and how it relates to #10. By that I mean the tee sign for #9 makes it appear that you can throw backwards down #10's fairway if #9's basket is in the secondary position. Then, after finishing #9, you see a secondary tee pad for #10, which makes it seem you play this hole back up #9's original fairway to the basket. I was totally confused, and was just glad the baskets were in their primary positions so I didn't have to improvise.
- Maybe this is petty, but there's got to be better attention paid to details for some of the little things. What do I mean? For starters, why is the map at the kiosk by #1 hand-drawn? This isn't a brand new, in-progress course. For a first timer, good luck interpreting the map to see where all the holes are. Second, why isn't there consistency in labeling which position the baskets are in? Some holes had locks on the tee signs to mark the baskets, but others didn't. Third, why is the scorecard that's listed on here, and the Columbia DGC's website, so outdated and inaccurate? The distances are off on many holes and the lengths for the different layouts are not all listed. Hole #17, for example, has four different basket positions. You wouldn't know that from the scorecard because it's more than 100 feet off in listed distance.
Other Thoughts: Crooked Creek is one of my favorite courses around, plain and simple. There's a stretch of holes in the middle of the course (#8 - 11) that frustrate me, in part due to problems listed above. Also, because it's a tough stretch. After that, the course picks its groove back up and reminds me of why this is solid.
- There isn't anything overly amazing or challenging about this place. This is a course where you have a ton of good to very good holes and no real duds. The worst, or simplest, hole might be #1, so at least it get better from there.
- I really enjoy the island hole layout of #7. It's an evil, short hole at 177. I imagine many a player have walked away from that hole with a bogey or worse after landing OB and wondering how that happened. It seems like a simple shot, then you start focusing on the island green...focus some more...start thinking about what to throw...and suddenly that island green is looking really small.
- Call me crazy, but I think one of the better hole layouts is an 'accidental' one. Hole #15's primary basket position is on a raised mound. Me, I prefer the alternative layout that plays past the mound and in the trees. The reason being is that you now have the mound as an obstacle towards the basket, meaning low shots will be blocked. The hole is straight-forward and simple with a mound basket, but longer and more challenging in the secondary basket position.
- This is my favorite course in the Columbia area. Stoney Hill is another 20 - 30 minutes further out of town, so I'm not considering that 'Columbia' territory. Regardless, anyone in the Columbia area, or passing through on one of the three interstates should play here.

Good intro course

8/10/2004   3/23/2008
Review By: mreed12
Pros: Good coarse for practicing those technical throws you do not get to use that often.
Cons: Short. Two holes in which I really got to let her fly.
Other Thoughts: It is a fun course! Do not pay attention to the pars on the signs.