Chapin, SC
Crooked Creek Park - Original 18 Share
Uploaded By: snappyfingers Hole #11 (Taken 7/2012)
3 / 151ft.   4 / 213ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #11 Approach

Good Course

1    6/30/2014   7/8/2014
Review By: DGLobo999
Pros: Nice layout with lots of options on holes and routes with alternate placements and tees. Good tees. Signage okay. Lots of risk/reward. Good variation in distance and shots required. Very enjoyable and mostly easy to navigate.
Cons: A bit wooly and overgrown in places when I played. The tee shot in #6 (I think) where you have to throw over the walking path seems very dangerous and hardly worth the risk of hitting a walker with a blind hyzer. Lost hole #12 completely - never did find the hole but went on to #13. Need some help there.
Other Thoughts: Very much worth stopping and playing. Kudos to the designers.

Well shaded and fun course

1    5/20/2014   5/26/2014
Review By: ricklev
Pros: -Nice birdie opportunities through the trees
-Nex-T signs are fairly easy to follow to get to the next tee
-It's a nice walk in the park, whether you play well or not
-Trees provide nice shade when it's hot, though this also invites bugs.
Cons: -Some garbage, though fortunately it appears they do a pretty good job of putting it in the trash
-Some construction going on near hole #11
Other Thoughts: People in this park were very friendly. There are a few interesting holes with a creek surrounding the basket area, though some parts of the creek did not have water. Hole #17 offers a really nice drive off the tee with a dogleg left at the end. The fairway shot into the basket on an island keeps it interesting. I really enjoyed #17 and played it a few times. Overall, I had a great time playing this course.

2-4    3/15/2012   3/23/2012
Review By: tiger5
Pros: Overall a pretty challenging wooded course. I really like the design of the course, it forces you to shape shots and really be able to control your mid-ranges. A couple tight fairways and short par 3's.
Tee pads have bag holders and several of them have benches as well. The layout is a great use of terrain with a good mix up uphill, downhill and slanted hill shots. I would call this a right-hand friendly course, not a lot of dog-leg rights maybe only one on the entire course.
Very enjoyable course to play, worth checking out if your on I-26.
Cons: Signage and next tee markers would help a lot! First time playing I couldn't find several of the tee pads, ending up walking all the way back to the map at the first tee to take a pic of it with my phone.
Either hole 15 or 16 you have to walk back up the fairway of the previous hole in order to get to the next tee pad.
It's easy to get turned around if you've never played there before.
*There are a lot of people who use the walking trails around the course FYI, cause you can't see them on hole 5 from the tee pad. Even had a guy walk right up the fairway on one of the holes and didn't even know it, looking at us like we were crazy....
Other Thoughts: This course has potential for sure, I think if the signage was a little better it could easily be a 4+ in my opinion. The course is challenging, I threw a lot of mid-range, a little driver nothing crazy.

Great as an 18-hole course

1    3/20/2011   4/16/2011
Review By: bjreagh
This review was updated on 6/29/2012
Pros: [This review is primarily about the original 18 holes.]- Crooked Creek is a well-designed, mature, and nicely maintained public course. The course has excellent baskets, terrific tee signs, and 2 sets of concrete tees. It uses the natural features of the land very well, playing up, down, and level as well as left, straight, and right. The course did not feel long, but there is a good variety of hole lengths- with distances of 4 in the 100's, 5 in the 200's, 7 in the 300's and 2 in the 400's from the long tees.

I would describe it as being in the woods, but the fairways are clear and spacious usually requiring you to navigate around only a few isolated trees. The creek that winds through much of the course not only adds to the beauty of the setting, but does come into play several times. (It is not too difficult to avoid and was shallow and clear when I played and if I had thrown a disc in it I would have been able to retrieve it.) The best 2 holes use the creek effectively- #2 plays downhill and makes you decide layup or go for the basket on the other side and #7 plays to an "island" green.

The course and park are both well-maintained. Everything is here that you need- ample parking, nice restrooms in the rec center, a picnic pavilion by holes 1 and 2, and a kiosk with a course map.
Cons: The walking trail crosses a couple of fairways, sometimes right in front of the tee. This is an obvious hazard, and if the trail is super busy you may just have to make your own tee on the other side or might never have an opening to safely throw. The redesign of 9 and 10 is complete and playable, but navigation was confusing finding these holes, and then the hole numbers did not match up for awhile. (the map on this site is the old configuration and does not really help.)

Major con- the additional 8 holes. They are completely separate from the rest of the holes. Tees are natural marked only by ground markers that are hard to find. The holes play way too close to things like roads and ball fields. These holes are forced into an area that does not work for disc golf. Why not 9? Well it looks like hole 1 is proposed to run through a narrow stretch of pricy landscaped land between a road and tennis courts- probably never going to be approved. Navigation is hard and I only played 3 of the holes, and then we could not find the rest. In my opinion these 8 need to be removed (or at least separated into a different course- Original/New or North/South), because I feel they actually detract from the original course and is almost deceiving to say Crooked Creek has more than 18 holes. But this should be decided by the locals that know it best. *[Update- looks like the 18 and 9 are now listed as separate courses on DGCR.]
Other Thoughts: Despite what the signs may say, most of the holes will be considered par 3 by today's standards and there are several birdie and ace opportunities, but I could justify a few of the holes as par 4's that require a couple of well-placed shots before you can approach the basket. The course appears to be popular/crowded with adults and kids, evidence that it is a good course enjoyed by all.

As far as my rating goes, I was a little shocked at some of the 4.5's of other reviewers- this course is very nice and solid from 1-18, but it is not epic nor is it a national disc golf destination, and it is not anything like the courses I personally have given 4.5's to. (Maybe I missed out on something special on the extra holes I could not find, but if you can't find them, it doesn't matter if they are good or not!) That being said, it is still worthy of a stop if you are close to or traveling between Augusta and Rock Hill, but it is is not the reason why I traveled to the Augusta area.

Woods and Creeks

2-4    8/7/2010   8/7/2010
Review By: maynes35
Pros: This is a very well maintained course. Almost every hole has a bench, trashcan, and multiple bag hooks. Great concrete tee pads, with 2 (or 3 on some) tee locations. There are plenty of twists and turns, both right and left throughout the course. You can get a map and scorecard from the building (gym?) by the parking lot. Each hole has a nice hole layout sign on at the back tee pad. Awesome island hole #7 (although it ate my wife's Cyclone). Cool raised basket on 15 or 16, with steps up. Lots of tight bending shots will have to be made to score low.
Cons: My biggest issue was the lack of length out there. It plays pretty short throughout, with only a handful of long shots. It is a little confusing where the new holes were added between 8 and 9 (but I actually thought they were nice holes for just being placed in there). After #8 walk straight up toward the woodchips, that's where we teed off, for new (temp) #9. You can find yourself having a tree filled day out there. I shot great in the first round, but the second round I hit trees on at least half the holes (but that's on me more than the course I guess). If your a beginner you'll like the shortness but bang a bunch of trees I'd say.
Other Thoughts: If you are going after an ace or birdie on #7 either play a floater or have a spotter. It isn't clear, rocky creek water surrounding it. When we played it was thick muddy water and I had trouble finding one of my wife's discs that I watch land next to me in the water. Awesome hole but can be dangerous. A local player said he bought a floater disc specifically for that one tee shot! Overall I really liked the course and will play it again. It still comes in behind Earlewood for me of the "Midland" courses.

Nice Course

2-4    5/9/2010   5/9/2010
Review By: Joe_Maumy
This review was updated on 5/11/2010
Pros: Great well laid out course through heavy woods. Not enough wood to where your knocking on trees every hole but enough to keep you on your toes. Concrete tee pads and good markings to all the holes. Good vibe and a super clean park.You can get course maps in the rec center, they are open late and weekends, just go inside and ask at the counter (free).
Cons: 10 and 11 are currently out of play as best I can tell. I did find the 10 and 11 baskets on some other holes but I can only assume they are just for secondary pin placements
Other Thoughts: This is a great course and I am glad I got to play it. I am in the area for a few more days and hope to hit it again one evening. If your anywhere near the area this is worth the visit.Hole 2 runs right next to the main street so keep that in mind when letting it rip. Hole 7 is an island hole and a possible ace...or a swimmer. Totally fun.

Crooked, and sometimes treacherous creek

2-4    2/7/2010   2/7/2010
Review By: forehandfranz
Pros: This is a well designed course in a pleasant setting of classic SC pine with that crooked little creek flowing through about a half dozen of the holes. It plays short, for the most part (the pars are rather antiquated for today's throwers), but has a great variety of challenges to keep all players honest.

It has some nice amenities- the tee signs are outstanding as are the LARGE concrete tee pads, and bag hangers, and "next tee signs".

My favorite holes are #2 (a 300' + dog right that has the creek just before the green - do I layup or risk the creek on the ace run?), hole # 7 is an island green surrounded by creek that is short (150' or so downhill) but that creek will gobble your disc when the winter rainfalls make it 2' deep or more!). Finally # 8 is a long dog right which has 2 alleys after the drive- hope that you go long or short and avoid the island in the middle- great example of placement!

Cons: Hole #6 seemed a little contrived - a sharp "pitch" right and a putt. Holes # 10 & 11 have been re- directed and placed on other fairways (which are not marked on the kiosk). It would be helpful to be made aware of this before you walk all over looking for the missing holes!

Other Thoughts: My rounds included only 1-18. I did not play the additional 8 which I'd heard were very wet ( and do not yet have tee pads.)

As I mentioned, the pars (4's and 5's) are antiquated. I found only two of the holes to be reasonable par 4's - #8 and temp #10. But what the heck - you gotta just play your own game, right?

1    7/14/2008   7/17/2008
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 8/12/2008
Pros: Pleasantly surprised by how good the course is. Many holes have alternative/longer tee pads to make the course more difficult. You can tell how much time and effort was put in by the local DGers to make this a hidden gem.
- Great tee signs - show hole layouts and distances.
- Good variety of holes, several short holes to several long holes over 400 feet, sharp doglegs, holes with good elevation changes.
- Great park and facilties- numerous ball fields, tennis courts, rec center building, walking trails. I was surprised how good everything was for seeming to be in such a rural area. Parks & Rec department has done a great job with things.
Cons: First couple holes just don't seem to fit with the rest of the course. They all play around the rec building and don't really have much to offer. It isn't until the 5th hole that you really get into the woods and get the true disc golf experience.
- A couple holes were difficult to find without arrows pointing to the next tee. For the most part though, the course was easy to navigate.
Other Thoughts: As already mentioned, I was impressed how good of a course this was. I was expecting a simple course meant for the casual player, instead I found it enjoying and challenging. For a regional comparison, the course reminded me a lot of Reedy Creek in Charlotte.
- My favorite hole is #7. Short, downhill par 3 (150 - 170 ft) that plays to green surrounded by the creek. I love the idea of having an island hole. It makes a short hole even more challenging with such a risk/reward factor.
- My only suggestion would be to make some of the shorter holes longer. A total of 7 holes are under 225, and some of those are good as is. 1, 4, 15, and maybe 14, would be even better if they were another 50 - 100 feet longer. That would make a good course even better.
- Overall, this course is worth the 20 - 30 minute drive from Columbia to play.

Good intro course

8/10/2004   3/23/2008
Review By: mreed12
Pros: Good coarse for practicing those technical throws you do not get to use that often.
Cons: Short. Two holes in which I really got to let her fly.
Other Thoughts: It is a fun course! Do not pay attention to the pars on the signs.