Chapin, SC

Great as an 18-hole course

1    3/20/2011   4/16/2011
Review By: bjreagh
This review was updated on 6/29/2012
Pros: [This review is primarily about the original 18 holes.]- Crooked Creek is a well-designed, mature, and nicely maintained public course. The course has excellent baskets, terrific tee signs, and 2 sets of concrete tees. It uses the natural features of the land very well, playing up, down, and level as well as left, straight, and right. The course did not feel long, but there is a good variety of hole lengths- with distances of 4 in the 100's, 5 in the 200's, 7 in the 300's and 2 in the 400's from the long tees.

I would describe it as being in the woods, but the fairways are clear and spacious usually requiring you to navigate around only a few isolated trees. The creek that winds through much of the course not only adds to the beauty of the setting, but does come into play several times. (It is not too difficult to avoid and was shallow and clear when I played and if I had thrown a disc in it I would have been able to retrieve it.) The best 2 holes use the creek effectively- #2 plays downhill and makes you decide layup or go for the basket on the other side and #7 plays to an "island" green.

The course and park are both well-maintained. Everything is here that you need- ample parking, nice restrooms in the rec center, a picnic pavilion by holes 1 and 2, and a kiosk with a course map.
Cons: The walking trail crosses a couple of fairways, sometimes right in front of the tee. This is an obvious hazard, and if the trail is super busy you may just have to make your own tee on the other side or might never have an opening to safely throw. The redesign of 9 and 10 is complete and playable, but navigation was confusing finding these holes, and then the hole numbers did not match up for awhile. (the map on this site is the old configuration and does not really help.)

Major con- the additional 8 holes. They are completely separate from the rest of the holes. Tees are natural marked only by ground markers that are hard to find. The holes play way too close to things like roads and ball fields. These holes are forced into an area that does not work for disc golf. Why not 9? Well it looks like hole 1 is proposed to run through a narrow stretch of pricy landscaped land between a road and tennis courts- probably never going to be approved. Navigation is hard and I only played 3 of the holes, and then we could not find the rest. In my opinion these 8 need to be removed (or at least separated into a different course- Original/New or North/South), because I feel they actually detract from the original course and is almost deceiving to say Crooked Creek has more than 18 holes. But this should be decided by the locals that know it best. *[Update- looks like the 18 and 9 are now listed as separate courses on DGCR.]
Other Thoughts: Despite what the signs may say, most of the holes will be considered par 3 by today's standards and there are several birdie and ace opportunities, but I could justify a few of the holes as par 4's that require a couple of well-placed shots before you can approach the basket. The course appears to be popular/crowded with adults and kids, evidence that it is a good course enjoyed by all.

As far as my rating goes, I was a little shocked at some of the 4.5's of other reviewers- this course is very nice and solid from 1-18, but it is not epic nor is it a national disc golf destination, and it is not anything like the courses I personally have given 4.5's to. (Maybe I missed out on something special on the extra holes I could not find, but if you can't find them, it doesn't matter if they are good or not!) That being said, it is still worthy of a stop if you are close to or traveling between Augusta and Rock Hill, but it is is not the reason why I traveled to the Augusta area.

THE Crooked Creek

5+    4/10/2011   4/12/2011
Review By: discninja
Pros: well-kept, and is kind of short but not that short at all. its not too long, but its kind of long. and if you want more, there is alt. holes along with it! and it also has multiple pin placements and multiple pads!
Cons: maybe just the people running about is kind of annoying...... be sure to watch out for them.
Other Thoughts: number 6 and number 7 are two of my favorites. however, I HATE number eight! and somtimes, it is best to drive with a putter or somthing that floats really well on number seven in order to make the island. I almost Aced that hole with the Blofly. and on number two be careful of the road to the left.

so beautiful

1    8/4/2010   8/8/2010
Review By: CatFish
Pros: Awesome signage, beautiful course, Multiple concrete tees, multiple pin locations. trash cans, well maintained. A few are through sparse trees, some are open, some are through trees with nice fairways. Challenging and easy holes.
Cons: Maybe a little over parred. A par 4 or two may need to be a 3. A par 5 needs to be a 3. Holes nine and ten have changed to new holes, and are not easy to find. However, there is a nice park HQ and they provide maps and explain everything.
Other Thoughts: Can't wait for 9 and 10 to be finished, course is about an hour and a half away and I will definitely be back. Gorgeous course, go play it. Beginner or advanced, you will enjoy it.

Woods and Creeks

2-4    8/7/2010   8/7/2010
Review By: maynes35
Pros: This is a very well maintained course. Almost every hole has a bench, trashcan, and multiple bag hooks. Great concrete tee pads, with 2 (or 3 on some) tee locations. There are plenty of twists and turns, both right and left throughout the course. You can get a map and scorecard from the building (gym?) by the parking lot. Each hole has a nice hole layout sign on at the back tee pad. Awesome island hole #7 (although it ate my wife's Cyclone). Cool raised basket on 15 or 16, with steps up. Lots of tight bending shots will have to be made to score low.
Cons: My biggest issue was the lack of length out there. It plays pretty short throughout, with only a handful of long shots. It is a little confusing where the new holes were added between 8 and 9 (but I actually thought they were nice holes for just being placed in there). After #8 walk straight up toward the woodchips, that's where we teed off, for new (temp) #9. You can find yourself having a tree filled day out there. I shot great in the first round, but the second round I hit trees on at least half the holes (but that's on me more than the course I guess). If your a beginner you'll like the shortness but bang a bunch of trees I'd say.
Other Thoughts: If you are going after an ace or birdie on #7 either play a floater or have a spotter. It isn't clear, rocky creek water surrounding it. When we played it was thick muddy water and I had trouble finding one of my wife's discs that I watch land next to me in the water. Awesome hole but can be dangerous. A local player said he bought a floater disc specifically for that one tee shot! Overall I really liked the course and will play it again. It still comes in behind Earlewood for me of the "Midland" courses.

Awesome!!!

1    6/29/2010   6/29/2010
Review By: boxmark25
Pros: I played this course with my wife and two boys and we had a blast. The course was awesome and the area was beautiful.

The area around the tees was great. The signage was good and garbage cans at almost every tee box.

The multipurpose building was excellent and the workers were very helpful. The map on the back of the score cards was a great help.

The pro tees offered more variety in the course and there was also alternate pin placement.
Other Thoughts: Had a great time flinging the disc at this course. I believe it is a must play.

Nice Course

2-4    5/9/2010   5/9/2010
Review By: Joe_Maumy
This review was updated on 5/11/2010
Pros: Great well laid out course through heavy woods. Not enough wood to where your knocking on trees every hole but enough to keep you on your toes. Concrete tee pads and good markings to all the holes. Good vibe and a super clean park.You can get course maps in the rec center, they are open late and weekends, just go inside and ask at the counter (free).
Cons: 10 and 11 are currently out of play as best I can tell. I did find the 10 and 11 baskets on some other holes but I can only assume they are just for secondary pin placements
Other Thoughts: This is a great course and I am glad I got to play it. I am in the area for a few more days and hope to hit it again one evening. If your anywhere near the area this is worth the visit.Hole 2 runs right next to the main street so keep that in mind when letting it rip. Hole 7 is an island hole and a possible ace...or a swimmer. Totally fun.

Crooked, and sometimes treacherous creek

2-4    2/7/2010   2/7/2010
Review By: forehandfranz
Pros: This is a well designed course in a pleasant setting of classic SC pine with that crooked little creek flowing through about a half dozen of the holes. It plays short, for the most part (the pars are rather antiquated for today's throwers), but has a great variety of challenges to keep all players honest.

It has some nice amenities- the tee signs are outstanding as are the LARGE concrete tee pads, and bag hangers, and "next tee signs".

My favorite holes are #2 (a 300' + dog right that has the creek just before the green - do I layup or risk the creek on the ace run?), hole # 7 is an island green surrounded by creek that is short (150' or so downhill) but that creek will gobble your disc when the winter rainfalls make it 2' deep or more!). Finally # 8 is a long dog right which has 2 alleys after the drive- hope that you go long or short and avoid the island in the middle- great example of placement!

Cons: Hole #6 seemed a little contrived - a sharp "pitch" right and a putt. Holes # 10 & 11 have been re- directed and placed on other fairways (which are not marked on the kiosk). It would be helpful to be made aware of this before you walk all over looking for the missing holes!

Other Thoughts: My rounds included only 1-18. I did not play the additional 8 which I'd heard were very wet ( and do not yet have tee pads.)

As I mentioned, the pars (4's and 5's) are antiquated. I found only two of the holes to be reasonable par 4's - #8 and temp #10. But what the heck - you gotta just play your own game, right?

"WInding Creek!"

1    1/15/2010   1/16/2010
Pros: 1) Large dual concrete tees. This is especially important on all of the sloped holes. If they were natural or mulch or anything they would certainly not be level and smooth so the concrete is appreciated.
2) Awesome property with the "Crooked Creek" winding all through the property and in all sorts of directions. I would have called it "Winding Creek" instead.
3) Nice tee signs with all the important information. Hole #, par, and distance. They also have a diagram with multiple baskets indicated including all distances from all tees to all baskets.
4) The elevation changes on this course make it an incredible mix of challenge and terrain. Not only do you have the creek in play on multiple holes, but you also have hills, drop-offs, sidehills, and other difficult terrain to navigate.
5) Navigation is pretty easy through this winding course. It runs back and forth and then works its way back to the middle of the course to finish up. Just always keep your eyes peeled for the next tees and future baskets as you go through this course. The tee areas are very recognizable because they all have the tee signs, posts, benches and bag racks. This should help you to find the next hole and future holes on occasion.
6) Dual tees would make this course play very differently from each set of tees. There are many holes that would play very differently from the shorts than they do the longs allowing for 2 very different rounds. Sure the short tees make the course shorter and easier, but the shots you have to execute between the long and short holes can be very different.
7) There is a tremendous amount of variety in shot-shaping. You have to have your entire arsenal of turning shots and also high and low shots to take advantage of the drop-offs.
8) This course has some of the best variety in challenge and hole type that I have ever played. It has the winding creek, it has some real risk/reward holes, it has some uphillers and some downhillers, some on the sideslopes and some on flat ground. There isn't much variety in foliage density because the course mostly plays in the dense woods except hole #9.
9) Course design was very creative and took full advantage of the best locations on this course. The risk/reward was incredible on a few of the holes.
10) Signature Hole: I cannot decide there are a few. Island Hole on #7 with a 20' circle. Awesome hole, awesome risk, and awesome reward to shoot for the green. The baskets tucked around the winding creek are also pretty awesome creating some interesting shots.
11) Nice use of distance on certain holes to allow you to have different shots into different greens. I like to vary the discs I throw off the tee and to decide when driver really isn't the disc I need to throw.
12) Next tee signs are consistant and helpful in getting you to the next hole.
Cons: 1) Definitely not beginner friendly because of the filthy combination of elevation change, tight wooded holes, and water. What more can an advanced or pro player ask for. Even though there are short tees, the holes are only made easier by less distance. They are still extremely challenging even from the shorts.
2) Navigation got a little confusing in a few spots. Obviously there was no sign on #10 or 11 telling first timers that the holes are closed. I spent a few minutes looking for a basket and I knew Hole #11 was in the same area. And couldn't see either so I just went to Hole #12.
3) The heavy clay soils are wet and slick. They are leaf covered which is better than being bare but even the leaves can leave you with a sense of sure footing and it still might not even be there.
4) Walk path comes into play on a few occasions. I hate it when this happens but I also understand the multi use theory for parks. Sometimes activities interact.
5) Maintenance could be increased in a few areas specifically in regards to mulch being placed in areas that are bare and/or slick. There also are a few areas off the fairways that have piles of branches and brush.
Other Thoughts: I had a great time at this course so I am thrilled my GPS decided to begin working again when I was out in the area. This course truly had a ton of variety something I never get sick of. It had enough and good amenities including baskets, tee boxes, maintenance of fairway area, plus it had plenty to challenge you with tight woods, water shots, elevation changes. Not sure what else could be added to make it a better course, but I simply loved this course from beginning to end. I would play this course everyday if I lived in the area. it simply is that much fun. Some people may not agree with me but I just think this course (assuming #10 AND #11 are in) is one of the best courses I have played. It has all the amenities, it challenges from beginning to end, it has a variety in elevation, water, trees etc etc etc. It simply has everything. Most courses have 4 ou of 5 things this one has it all so I have to rate it accordingly. It is on the low end of the 4.5 disc rating in my opinion and would be a perfect 4.25 in my opinion, but I do not feel I can give this course a 4. Too many other courses I have given fours just dont live up to the whole package this course possesses.

My new favorite

1    10/20/2009   10/20/2009
Review By: billnchristy
This review was updated on 7/20/2010
Pros: Big variety of shots, most are of the wooded variety but there are some killer doglegs in there.
Beautiful park, some decent elevation changes, nice creek in play on many holes.
Absolutely enormous tee pads.
Great signs, good navigation for the most part (next tee signs on most holes).
Benches and bag holders on most tees...this place has all the amenities.
Absolutely pristine grounds.
Unique holes like 7 and 15 along with several interesting blind holes give this course so much character that you could shoot 30 over and still have a smile.
Cons: Many walking paths in play, most of the time they are obvious and you just have to pay attention.
Hole 2 has a slight possibility of a disc going into traffic...I threw LHBH to mitigate any chance of that happening.
Other Thoughts: I could not stop talking to myself about this course as I played it. It really reminded me of Redan back in Atlanta but with a bit more challenge and even character. I cannot say enough about this course, I found it to be absolutely wonderful.

The sign par is obviously from days of yore but it will make you feel good when you finish below par...especially if you are like me and never manage to do so!!

Let's put it this way, this course is over 200 miles from me and I am going to figure out an excuse to come play again in the near future...its that fun.

Update:

A new hole 9,10 have been created with the old hole 9 being the new 11. Hole 9, 10 are a bit of an anomoly in that they are completely cleared fairways, but pretty good holes nonetheless...and they smell awesome with all the woodchips on the ground (ahh, that new hole smell...hahaha). Signage is rough because of this but I have no doubt it will be fixed at some point.

Lovely Course Where Challenges Abound!

1    7/17/2009   7/19/2009
Pros: This is a wonderfully designed , constructed and maintained course. Crooked Creek provides much of the personality for this course as it meanders throughout and has gouged out some steep and interesting banks. This is the only course that I have played where everything matches. The benches, tee signs, garbage cans and even the bag holders are all made from the same matching type wood. Very cool indeed! The course is mostly fairly easy to navigate. There are red "next tees" signs in the trees to help. Although most of the baskets placements are in good spots two really stand out in my mind. A couple of reviewers have already mentioned # 7, the island basket surrounded by the creek. It's just a short 180 ft. downhill ace run but the creek can be trouble. # 14 is an elevated basket after about a 200 ft. tee off but what I like about it is that it's a "Fair" elevated basket. It actually has a little landing area. There are a couple of very tight doglegs. It's natural beauty.
Cons: #'s 10 and 11 are temporarily closed due to some drainage/enviromental work being done. It's a little short for the big arms.
Other Thoughts: I've put this on my favorites list. I want to take it back to Washington with me. This course is worth driving a distance to play. Especially when you couple it with some of the other great courses in the area.