Chapin, SC

1 2 3 Next >
 Really Nice!

2-4    6/6/2009   6/11/2009
Review By: Shooter McGavin
Pros: -Great Layout with a good mix of shot types needed and short walks between holes
-Really well marked, tee pads have maps of every hole with distances/pars
-Really well maintained, very clean.
-Some really good risk-reward situations to test your skills if you are up to it.
-It was closed when I was there, but the sign said the office there had a selection of discs for sale as well as lost/found discs.
Cons: When I went last basket 11 (I think) was gone for construction. Hole 10 was in the middle of a construction site (i.e all dug up mud surrounding) which was horrible after recent rain. Wish it was closer to downtown Columbia (about 30 min drive)
Other Thoughts: This is a challenging course but is still fun for beginners. I would highly recommend this for anyone in the nearby area.

A- = Almost As Good As It Gets

5+    8/13/2006   5/1/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up (from the longs):
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B+
5) Bonus amount for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- N/A
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

Great course

5+    4/6/2009   4/6/2009
Review By: birdmankev
Pros: Love it. I've been playing on this course for 3 yrs. and still love it. It's fairways are perfiectly layed out and cut out of the forest. Very balanced, very hard, and very fun. My favorite course i've ever played.
Cons: can get alittle crowded everynow and then. other tan that none!
Other Thoughts: awsome course!!!! Great Job Chapin Rec!!!!!

1    7/14/2008   7/17/2008
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 8/12/2008
Pros: Pleasantly surprised by how good the course is. Many holes have alternative/longer tee pads to make the course more difficult. You can tell how much time and effort was put in by the local DGers to make this a hidden gem.
- Great tee signs - show hole layouts and distances.
- Good variety of holes, several short holes to several long holes over 400 feet, sharp doglegs, holes with good elevation changes.
- Great park and facilties- numerous ball fields, tennis courts, rec center building, walking trails. I was surprised how good everything was for seeming to be in such a rural area. Parks & Rec department has done a great job with things.
Cons: First couple holes just don't seem to fit with the rest of the course. They all play around the rec building and don't really have much to offer. It isn't until the 5th hole that you really get into the woods and get the true disc golf experience.
- A couple holes were difficult to find without arrows pointing to the next tee. For the most part though, the course was easy to navigate.
Other Thoughts: As already mentioned, I was impressed how good of a course this was. I was expecting a simple course meant for the casual player, instead I found it enjoying and challenging. For a regional comparison, the course reminded me a lot of Reedy Creek in Charlotte.
- My favorite hole is #7. Short, downhill par 3 (150 - 170 ft) that plays to green surrounded by the creek. I love the idea of having an island hole. It makes a short hole even more challenging with such a risk/reward factor.
- My only suggestion would be to make some of the shorter holes longer. A total of 7 holes are under 225, and some of those are good as is. 1, 4, 15, and maybe 14, would be even better if they were another 50 - 100 feet longer. That would make a good course even better.
- Overall, this course is worth the 20 - 30 minute drive from Columbia to play.

Very Nice Course

5+    7/26/2006   5/23/2008
Review By: nosajeel99
This review was updated on 2/15/2009
Pros: Wide variety of holes: left, right, short, long, tight, open. Many holes you actually have to think about your shot as opposed to just winging the disc. The island hole was pretty neat, if not frustrating.

Great tee pads and tee signs.

There were a lot of risk/reward holes, like hole #2 (do I try to drive over the creek or take the safe route and the easy 3). Some of the "easier" holes actually end up separating first from second place in a tournament. While easy 3s, a 2 is not all completely common.
Cons: When I was there, the course was not real well marked, but it wasn't too difficult to find my way around.

A few of the holes are short, but as I mentioned earlier, just because they are short doesn't mean it is a given "2." These short holes separate the good from the great players.
Other Thoughts: I frequented this course over several years and towards the end of my life in SC the DG Club started to expand the course, adding alternate pin settings and alternate tees. It is a very nice course overall and will challenge you more than once. Definitely worth a stop.

Good intro course

8/10/2004   3/23/2008
Review By: mreed12
Pros: Good coarse for practicing those technical throws you do not get to use that often.
Cons: Short. Two holes in which I really got to let her fly.
Other Thoughts: It is a fun course! Do not pay attention to the pars on the signs.

Nice Wooded Course

3/13/2008   3/13/2008
Review By: DavidSauls
Pros: Most holes carved out of woods, with a good variety of right and left turns and technical shots. Mulitple tee-pads, several holes have mulitple pin placements that change periodically. In addition to original 18, there are 8 longer, more challenging holes, but they're separated a bit from the rest and you need a guide to find them.
Cons: A short course---few places to really air it out.
Other Thoughts: Other reviewer must have confused this course with another---I've never seen bums or crack-heads, as course is in a half-rural, half-upscale-suburban area, with no access from neighborhoods. I've probably played there several hundred times over the past 10 years.

Thats one tight course

10/2/2007   11/15/2007
Review By: JoePublic
Pros: Tight, very tight. The back opens a bit, but the front is tight.
Cons: Dirty and needs a lot of work to fairways and tees.
Other Thoughts: Big pro is that although the course is a bit dirty and trashy, they are doing work on it and trying to take it back over from the bums and crack-heads (seriously). Of course they are only a problem at night, but still a problem.

1 2 3 Next >