Chapin, SC
Crooked Creek Park - Original 18 Share
Uploaded By: snappyfingers Hole #13 (Taken 6/2012)
Hole #13 Approach

"WInding Creek!"

1    1/15/2010   1/16/2010
Pros: 1) Large dual concrete tees. This is especially important on all of the sloped holes. If they were natural or mulch or anything they would certainly not be level and smooth so the concrete is appreciated.
2) Awesome property with the "Crooked Creek" winding all through the property and in all sorts of directions. I would have called it "Winding Creek" instead.
3) Nice tee signs with all the important information. Hole #, par, and distance. They also have a diagram with multiple baskets indicated including all distances from all tees to all baskets.
4) The elevation changes on this course make it an incredible mix of challenge and terrain. Not only do you have the creek in play on multiple holes, but you also have hills, drop-offs, sidehills, and other difficult terrain to navigate.
5) Navigation is pretty easy through this winding course. It runs back and forth and then works its way back to the middle of the course to finish up. Just always keep your eyes peeled for the next tees and future baskets as you go through this course. The tee areas are very recognizable because they all have the tee signs, posts, benches and bag racks. This should help you to find the next hole and future holes on occasion.
6) Dual tees would make this course play very differently from each set of tees. There are many holes that would play very differently from the shorts than they do the longs allowing for 2 very different rounds. Sure the short tees make the course shorter and easier, but the shots you have to execute between the long and short holes can be very different.
7) There is a tremendous amount of variety in shot-shaping. You have to have your entire arsenal of turning shots and also high and low shots to take advantage of the drop-offs.
8) This course has some of the best variety in challenge and hole type that I have ever played. It has the winding creek, it has some real risk/reward holes, it has some uphillers and some downhillers, some on the sideslopes and some on flat ground. There isn't much variety in foliage density because the course mostly plays in the dense woods except hole #9.
9) Course design was very creative and took full advantage of the best locations on this course. The risk/reward was incredible on a few of the holes.
10) Signature Hole: I cannot decide there are a few. Island Hole on #7 with a 20' circle. Awesome hole, awesome risk, and awesome reward to shoot for the green. The baskets tucked around the winding creek are also pretty awesome creating some interesting shots.
11) Nice use of distance on certain holes to allow you to have different shots into different greens. I like to vary the discs I throw off the tee and to decide when driver really isn't the disc I need to throw.
12) Next tee signs are consistant and helpful in getting you to the next hole.
Cons: 1) Definitely not beginner friendly because of the filthy combination of elevation change, tight wooded holes, and water. What more can an advanced or pro player ask for. Even though there are short tees, the holes are only made easier by less distance. They are still extremely challenging even from the shorts.
2) Navigation got a little confusing in a few spots. Obviously there was no sign on #10 or 11 telling first timers that the holes are closed. I spent a few minutes looking for a basket and I knew Hole #11 was in the same area. And couldn't see either so I just went to Hole #12.
3) The heavy clay soils are wet and slick. They are leaf covered which is better than being bare but even the leaves can leave you with a sense of sure footing and it still might not even be there.
4) Walk path comes into play on a few occasions. I hate it when this happens but I also understand the multi use theory for parks. Sometimes activities interact.
5) Maintenance could be increased in a few areas specifically in regards to mulch being placed in areas that are bare and/or slick. There also are a few areas off the fairways that have piles of branches and brush.
Other Thoughts: I had a great time at this course so I am thrilled my GPS decided to begin working again when I was out in the area. This course truly had a ton of variety something I never get sick of. It had enough and good amenities including baskets, tee boxes, maintenance of fairway area, plus it had plenty to challenge you with tight woods, water shots, elevation changes. Not sure what else could be added to make it a better course, but I simply loved this course from beginning to end. I would play this course everyday if I lived in the area. it simply is that much fun. Some people may not agree with me but I just think this course (assuming #10 AND #11 are in) is one of the best courses I have played. It has all the amenities, it challenges from beginning to end, it has a variety in elevation, water, trees etc etc etc. It simply has everything. Most courses have 4 ou of 5 things this one has it all so I have to rate it accordingly. It is on the low end of the 4.5 disc rating in my opinion and would be a perfect 4.25 in my opinion, but I do not feel I can give this course a 4. Too many other courses I have given fours just dont live up to the whole package this course possesses.

My new favorite

1    10/20/2009   10/20/2009
Review By: billnchristy
This review was updated on 7/20/2010
Pros: Big variety of shots, most are of the wooded variety but there are some killer doglegs in there.
Beautiful park, some decent elevation changes, nice creek in play on many holes.
Absolutely enormous tee pads.
Great signs, good navigation for the most part (next tee signs on most holes).
Benches and bag holders on most tees...this place has all the amenities.
Absolutely pristine grounds.
Unique holes like 7 and 15 along with several interesting blind holes give this course so much character that you could shoot 30 over and still have a smile.
Cons: Many walking paths in play, most of the time they are obvious and you just have to pay attention.
Hole 2 has a slight possibility of a disc going into traffic...I threw LHBH to mitigate any chance of that happening.
Other Thoughts: I could not stop talking to myself about this course as I played it. It really reminded me of Redan back in Atlanta but with a bit more challenge and even character. I cannot say enough about this course, I found it to be absolutely wonderful.

The sign par is obviously from days of yore but it will make you feel good when you finish below par...especially if you are like me and never manage to do so!!

Let's put it this way, this course is over 200 miles from me and I am going to figure out an excuse to come play again in the near future...its that fun.

Update:

A new hole 9,10 have been created with the old hole 9 being the new 11. Hole 9, 10 are a bit of an anomoly in that they are completely cleared fairways, but pretty good holes nonetheless...and they smell awesome with all the woodchips on the ground (ahh, that new hole smell...hahaha). Signage is rough because of this but I have no doubt it will be fixed at some point.

Lovely Course Where Challenges Abound!

1    7/17/2009   7/19/2009
Pros: This is a wonderfully designed , constructed and maintained course. Crooked Creek provides much of the personality for this course as it meanders throughout and has gouged out some steep and interesting banks. This is the only course that I have played where everything matches. The benches, tee signs, garbage cans and even the bag holders are all made from the same matching type wood. Very cool indeed! The course is mostly fairly easy to navigate. There are red "next tees" signs in the trees to help. Although most of the baskets placements are in good spots two really stand out in my mind. A couple of reviewers have already mentioned # 7, the island basket surrounded by the creek. It's just a short 180 ft. downhill ace run but the creek can be trouble. # 14 is an elevated basket after about a 200 ft. tee off but what I like about it is that it's a "Fair" elevated basket. It actually has a little landing area. There are a couple of very tight doglegs. It's natural beauty.
Cons: #'s 10 and 11 are temporarily closed due to some drainage/enviromental work being done. It's a little short for the big arms.
Other Thoughts: I've put this on my favorites list. I want to take it back to Washington with me. This course is worth driving a distance to play. Especially when you couple it with some of the other great courses in the area.

best in the area

2-4    7/1/2009   7/18/2009
Review By: Unkles27
Pros: Great use of the terrain available. Stream is used well throughout the course, forming an island hole at point. If you do end up in the stream it should be rather easy to recover, even if the stream can be a bit nasty (I've seen much worse). Wide variety of holes, some that go straight, some turn left, some turn right. Just about every shot could be used successfully here. Elevation is also used successfully throughout the course, in both fast greens and uphill/downhill shots. The course is in the woods, but all of the fairways (possibly with the exception of #8) are fair and good shots will be rewarded. Signage is decent, I got a little mixed up and pars but always new where I was and where to go next. Multiple pin positions.
Cons: Construction on holes 10 and 11 has turned the pin for 10 into a giant mudpit and hole 11 is gone. This course can be very muddy after rains and it can be buggy, from mosquitoes to fire ants. It can get pretty crowded. It is out of the way, in a mostly rural town.
Other Thoughts: This is the best course in the Columbia area. If you are in Columbia and don't mind the 30 or so minute drive from downtown this is where I would play.

Crooked Creek isn't as crooked as you'd expect...

2-4    6/20/2009   6/22/2009
Review By: HolySchnell
Pros: This course is quite nice and GREAT for summer days as most of the course is shaded. Many holes have some interaction with the course's namesake that make for more interesting holes without much serious risk of losing a disc if it goes in the water. The course is heavily wooded so beware of turning discs into tacos! Two holes play by baseball fields and several play near a walking path so beware of "innocent bystanders". There isn't too much in terms of extreme elevation change but just enough to keep things interesting. A huge variety of shots will be needed on this course though so bring everything you got!

All the baskets are in good condition as well as the concrete tee pads (most holes have two). The tee signs are great, they have all the information you will need plus most have an extra platform on them (donated by a local countertop company it seems) to set a drink/bag/whatever on while you throw. Distance between hole and next tee isn't bad and are pretty easy to find. Benches and trash cans are located throughout the course to help keep it clean and give you a place to relax. The facility at the entrance is air conditioned with clean restrooms and water fountains, as well as people at the front desk if you need any help. Plenty of parking right next to the start of the course and hole 18 will drop you off right near your car.
Cons: This course gets quite crowded on the weekends and during the afternoon high school rush during the school year. I would advise getting there in the morning to get your round going. In some areas of the course, the areas off of the somewhat narrow fairways can be rough if you have to go find a disk and because of some of the standing water (creek doesn't move much), the bugs can be bad. Also, the creek stinks like nothing else so be sure you really love that disc before taking a dive.
Other Thoughts: Hole number 7 is amazing. It is a straight, downhill shot onto and island. My favorite hole on the course which is followed by my least favorite, number 8 which is a long hard dogleg to the right.

There are an additional 8 holes available for this course that begin in the trees to the immediate right of when you pull in. There aren't any teepads (just concrete markers) and these holes are kept as well as the main course. Just go into the welcome center and ask for a map and the people will be glad to help you out! If you only have time for 9 or 18, I would recommend playing the main course even though this 8 is almost never crowded and serves as a good warm up as these are longer holes.

Have fun and keep on discin!

Really Nice!

2-4    6/6/2009   6/11/2009
Review By: Shooter McGavin
Pros: -Great Layout with a good mix of shot types needed and short walks between holes
-Really well marked, tee pads have maps of every hole with distances/pars
-Really well maintained, very clean.
-Some really good risk-reward situations to test your skills if you are up to it.
-It was closed when I was there, but the sign said the office there had a selection of discs for sale as well as lost/found discs.
Cons: When I went last basket 11 (I think) was gone for construction. Hole 10 was in the middle of a construction site (i.e all dug up mud surrounding) which was horrible after recent rain. Wish it was closer to downtown Columbia (about 30 min drive)
Other Thoughts: This is a challenging course but is still fun for beginners. I would highly recommend this for anyone in the nearby area.

A- = Almost As Good As It Gets

5+    8/13/2006   5/1/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up (from the longs):
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B+
5) Bonus amount for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- N/A
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage...if what I can add anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me....that's the fun of things here. See my profile for my rating philosophy.

Great course

5+    4/6/2009   4/6/2009
Review By: birdmankev
Pros: Love it. I've been playing on this course for 3 yrs. and still love it. It's fairways are perfiectly layed out and cut out of the forest. Very balanced, very hard, and very fun. My favorite course i've ever played.
Cons: can get alittle crowded everynow and then. other tan that none!
Other Thoughts: awsome course!!!! Great Job Chapin Rec!!!!!

Crooked Creek

2-4    7/14/2008   7/17/2008
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 7/2/2015
Pros: Crooked Creek was a pleasant surprise the first time I played it back in 2008. Seven years later, I finally got to make my return visit to the course. The course was just as good the second time around. Let's just hope I don't have to wait as long for the next round here.
- Crooked Creek offers some of the best, most creative, most enjoyable holes for any course I've played. For a nearly exclusive wooded course, it's amazing how much variety this course offers. And with the creative side of the layout, the designers do an excellent job of offering interesting looks without crossing into gimmicky territory. The island hole on #7 is the perfect example of how a smartly designed hole shot look and play.
- Good variety of holes, several short holes to several long holes over 400 feet, sharp doglegs, holes with good elevation changes. The course does a great job of offering good birdie chances as well as tough par 3s throughout. Take any stretch of four or five holes, and you'll see one or two easier layouts as well as a tough one or two as well. For example, the stretch of holes #6 - 9 offers two sub 200 foot, high risk/reward layouts in #6 & 7. That's followed by two of the course's toughest layouts. #8 is an uphill, 425 foot (or 475 to position B), par 4. This is the first true, multi-shot hole on the course. That's followed by the new, tough layout on #9, the course's only hole longer than 500 feet. My scores on this stretch ranged from 2 to 6.
- Many holes have alternative/longer tee pads to make the course that much more difficult. While the multiple layouts are a wise choice on some holes, others should stick to one layout and offer a superior layout and/or challenge. For example, hole #3 in the longs is a great hole, and a challenging par 3. In the short position, it's a simple par 3, and loses some of its luster. Why not make this a good hole all the time, rather than dilute it some of the time?
- The course offers a great risk/reward factor. The course tilts heavily towards accuracy over distance. If you can hit your lines, you will see a lot of birdies and birdie putts. If not, you'll be hitting trees left and right. I was split pretty much down the middle with lots of birdie putts and lots of scrambles to save par, or bogey.
- Great tee signs - show hole layouts and distances. I like the holes that have the added marker to show what position the basket is in.
- Great park and facilities- numerous ball fields, tennis courts, rec center building, walking trails. I was surprised how good everything was for seeming to be in such a rural area. Oh yeah, and there's another 9-hole layout here as well. Just in case you didn't know that.
- Great tee signs - show hole layouts and distances. There are enough blind tee shots that good tee signs come into play.
- Great park and facilties- numerous ball fields, tennis courts, rec center building, walking trails. I was surprised how good everything was for seeming to be in such a rural area. Parks & Rec department has done a great job with things.
Cons: - The first couple holes seem a little out of place compared to the rest of the course. Holes #1 -3 play close to the Rec Center building (#1 & 3) or the main road (#2). After that point, the course really takes off.
- Navigation could be improved at times, especially on the long transitions. There were usually at least one next tee sign. The problems is the signs usually didn't list what hole number it was pointing you towards, and with other holes nearby, it's not difficult to bypass a hole or two. For example, after finishing hole #11, the first thing you see is the tee for #13, followed by the basket for #12. I also, after finishing hole #1, went straight to hole #3, finished that hole, and got to #4 before realizing I was already off on my scorecard.
- There's major confusion as to what's going on with the new #9 and how it relates to #10. By that I mean the tee sign for #9 makes it appear that you can throw backwards down #10's fairway if #9's basket is in the secondary position. Then, after finishing #9, you see a secondary tee pad for #10, which makes it seem you play this hole back up #9's original fairway to the basket. I was totally confused, and was just glad the baskets were in their primary positions so I didn't have to improvise.
- Maybe this is petty, but there's got to be better attention paid to details for some of the little things. What do I mean? For starters, why is the map at the kiosk by #1 hand-drawn? This isn't a brand new, in-progress course. For a first timer, good luck interpreting the map to see where all the holes are. Second, why isn't there consistency in labeling which position the baskets are in? Some holes had locks on the tee signs to mark the baskets, but others didn't. Third, why is the scorecard that's listed on here, and the Columbia DGC's website, so outdated and inaccurate? The distances are off on many holes and the lengths for the different layouts are not all listed. Hole #17, for example, has four different basket positions. You wouldn't know that from the scorecard because it's more than 100 feet off in listed distance.
Other Thoughts: Crooked Creek is one of my favorite courses around, plain and simple. There's a stretch of holes in the middle of the course (#8 - 11) that frustrate me, in part due to problems listed above. Also, because it's a tough stretch. After that, the course picks its groove back up and reminds me of why this is solid.
- There isn't anything overly amazing or challenging about this place. This is a course where you have a ton of good to very good holes and no real duds. The worst, or simplest, hole might be #1, so at least it get better from there.
- I really enjoy the island hole layout of #7. It's an evil, short hole at 177. I imagine many a player have walked away from that hole with a bogey or worse after landing OB and wondering how that happened. It seems like a simple shot, then you start focusing on the island green...focus some more...start thinking about what to throw...and suddenly that island green is looking really small.
- Call me crazy, but I think one of the better hole layouts is an 'accidental' one. Hole #15's primary basket position is on a raised mound. Me, I prefer the alternative layout that plays past the mound and in the trees. The reason being is that you now have the mound as an obstacle towards the basket, meaning low shots will be blocked. The hole is straight-forward and simple with a mound basket, but longer and more challenging in the secondary basket position.
- This is my favorite course in the Columbia area. Stoney Hill is another 20 - 30 minutes further out of town, so I'm not considering that 'Columbia' territory. Regardless, anyone in the Columbia area, or passing through on one of the three interstates should play here.

Very Nice Course

5+    7/26/2006   5/23/2008
Review By: nosajeel99
This review was updated on 2/15/2009
Pros: Wide variety of holes: left, right, short, long, tight, open. Many holes you actually have to think about your shot as opposed to just winging the disc. The island hole was pretty neat, if not frustrating.

Great tee pads and tee signs.

There were a lot of risk/reward holes, like hole #2 (do I try to drive over the creek or take the safe route and the easy 3). Some of the "easier" holes actually end up separating first from second place in a tournament. While easy 3s, a 2 is not all completely common.
Cons: When I was there, the course was not real well marked, but it wasn't too difficult to find my way around.

A few of the holes are short, but as I mentioned earlier, just because they are short doesn't mean it is a given "2." These short holes separate the good from the great players.
Other Thoughts: I frequented this course over several years and towards the end of my life in SC the DG Club started to expand the course, adding alternate pin settings and alternate tees. It is a very nice course overall and will challenge you more than once. Definitely worth a stop.