Charlotte, NC
Reedy Creek Park Share
Uploaded By: YonderScott Hole #7 (Taken 7/2009)
Hole #7 Baskets

Clean and Classic

1    1/8/2010   1/8/2010
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Great park and the disc golf course is well away from any distractions. Good concrete tee pads. Fairways that have clearly defined lines and not too much opportunity to lose a disc. Good use of elevation on several holes. Good signs at tee pads indicating the multiple positions for the baskets. Good bridges, walkways and stairs to navigate the course. Bathrooms at the parking lot and benches on every hole. Basket in good condition.
Cons: No wide open holes to let loose on. Course is entirely wooded. No holes that jump out at me as memorable. No real big negatives that should cause anyone to avoid this course.
Other Thoughts: I played the 'Original Layout' and the baskets were in the short position. There is also a 'Stout Layout' with alternate tee pads and longer basket positions. I liked the course and will update this review after playing the course again when the baskets are in the long position. I will probably upgrade the rating at that time to at least a 3.5 depending on how the course plays. I think that the long positions will add some challenge and additional enjoyment to a round at Reedy. Overall this classic course in Charlotte is defintely worth a stop even with all the great courses in the area.

Not the best in Charlotte... but fun!

1    11/23/2009   12/18/2009
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- Wide Open Wooded. Reedy, like Kilborne TPC, is a wooded course with wide open fairways. (20'+ wide, shaped fairways through trees). Get offline and you'll pay with a tough recovery attempt, but hit the gap and you'll get a realistic biride shot/park job.
- Scoreable. (Note: when we played the course, the pins were in the short positions). The original layout, in the short positions, is begging to be birided. Big scores can easily be had (-10+). After showing my ass for the first 13 holes, I birdied 5 of the last 6 to get to -5.
- Two Looks. Like many Charlotte courses, Reedy offers two teepads, and sometimes two pins, on every hole. Therefore, there are "two" courses: Original and Stout, with the Stouts usually being longer and/or quite a bit tougher.
Cons:
- Break-Ins. When pulling into the park you will see a large sign about leaving valuable items in your vehicle… it's no joke. Apparently they have break-ins there all the time. I don't know how often "all the time" is… but, it's often enough to have a sign. The DG parking lot is secluded at Reedy and this probably leads to the criminals feeling safe.
- Crowded. Because Reedy is probably the best beginner friendly course in Charlotte, it's packed. There were large groups all over the course. We started early enough and didn't really have any trouble, but when we finished our round and walked back to the parking lot, Hole 1 probably had 4 groups waiting.
- Aces Anybody? Midway through the round I said to the rest of the group, "This course is begging to be aced". All of a sudden on the hole behind us a kid bangs his first ace. Two holes later a guy in our group bangs his first ace. And then on the 17th Hole, I bang the center of the basket and it spits.
- Overall, it's a pretty fun course and I can see why it's crowded. Lots of decent shots, good FAIRways, scores to be had, and easier than the other Charlotte greats.
- My Rankings. If you're planning a road trip to Charlotte, here are my rankings (of the courses I've played): Renny, Hornetts, Sugaw, Kilborne, Reedy, …………………Veterans.
- My Score: -5

I Play It At Least Twice A Week

5+    10/9/2009   10/12/2009
Review By: Charlotte49er
Pros: Wooded, yet open enough for letting discs fly.
Woods provide shade.
Close to University of Charlotte.
Usually not difficult to find unfortunately thrown discs.
Cons: It can get crowded.
Most holes are fitted for a right turning throw, especially on the back nine.
Other Thoughts: Hole 14 (the one next to the cricket/soccer fields) has an alternate tee. Above the concrete stands, to the left looking down at the field, is a tee that juts off of the sidewalk. It provides the only truly open shot of the course where you can throw it as hard as you can. We play it a par 5, but probably should be a par 4.

Technical, wooded with elevation

5+    9/5/2009   9/30/2009
Review By: bettsjc
This review was updated on 2/18/2011
Pros: Reedy Creek is maintained very well. Concrete teepads on every hole and excellent signage depicting hole with basket locations, distance and par. Benches and trash cans are located at most holes. The course has short and long teepads. The long pads add a few more feet but not too much different from the shorts.

With the baskets in the short position the course plays as a beginner/intermediate course, in the long position it is more of an intermediate course. Play from the long tees gives advanced players a good challange. Short pins used from Oct-Mar. Longs Mar-Oct. A few short pin locations are not used because of past damage.

The elevation is very apparant on holes 2, 5, and 14. It also adds to the nice scenery.

Each hole is it's own adventure, and most holes are very unique and well thought out in development. Very technical and challanging course, requiring a variety of shots to shoot well. Long tees give some opportunity to let the guns out and rip one for distance, but long drives not required to shoot this course well.
Cons:
This may be a tough course to play in wet weather, as most fairways are dirt. The elevation changes on this course could make it difficult to trek in wet conditions.

Map may be necessary if not playing with someone who is familiar with the course. In my first experience I went from #7 to #2 and couldn't find my way back to #7. And it wasn't until my third time playing the course that I found out that there was a short teepad for #6.
Other Thoughts: Reedy Creek is the oldest course still in place in the Charlotte area. I'm sure it has taken alot of time for Reedy to develop the character is has today. Located near UNCC it gets its share of traffic at all hours of the day. This is one course in Charlotte that feels more natural, not so much as a "walk in tha park" but walking a nature trail. A gem of a course in a nicer area of town, and a very nice park. Expect a crowd on nice afternoons and on weekends. Would highly recommend playing a round at Reedy Creek if you are visiting the area.

5+    8/4/2009   8/8/2009
Review By: wooky
Pros: This was my home course in charlotte so a lil biased...lol. It is a great course to learn the ins and outs of DG. It plays well and like all charlotte course is very well maintained. It is not the longest course in the area or the hardest (renny GOLD) but it is a great course.
Cons: That it is not closer

Old, but still a great course.

5+    7/31/2009   7/31/2009
Review By: chain-addicted
This review was updated on 8/6/2010
Pros: Concrete tee-pads, great variety, not alot of trees down the fairway on most holes, which keeps it pretty fair for even the most novice of players. Original tees plus "Stout" tees make for a great day whether you are a beginner or feel up to a little bit more of a challenge.

Totally wooded, so it provides great shade through the whole round which is good on those hot summer days! Not a far drive from other Charlotte area courses (i.e. Kilborne, Sugaw). No thick bushes/thorny brush that makes it hard to retrieve a disc (like "Renny" across town).

Wildlife abounds here, which is a plus for me. There is nothing like having a course which is in almost total seclusion to give a feeling of "near-serenity".

Restrooms are across the parking-lot from the practice basket near hole # 1's tee-pad.
Cons: Sometimes when I go there it can be REALLY crowded and it always seems to be I get stuck behind that SLOW group of folks that are playing just ahead of me. That's just my 2 cents.

Also, it seems to have alot of erosion on the fairways of most holes....It can get pretty muddy after a heavy rain.... Watch your footing folks!

There is a possibility of ending up in some water on the left side of the fairway on hole #4 if you play it from the "stout" tee on that hole.
Other Thoughts: I like the fact that if I only want to get in a quick 9, you have that option due to the fact that hole 9's basket is right near teepad #1.

You have to love this course even though it is one of the oldest in the area. This one and Kilborne TPC is where I spend alot of my time.

UPDATE:
I wish more people would stop being lazy and learn to PLACE THEIR TRASH WHERE IT BELONGS, or pack it out! I am starting to see more and more trash out on these fine Charlotte courses and it just pisses me off. Most of Charlotte's courses are not without garbage pails. There should be no reason to leave your empty beer bottles laying right next to the teepad when there is a trashcan right there next to the bench (on most holes). Grow up people...

WARNING!: LOCK your vehicle up and leave valuables in your vehicle OUT OF SIGHT. I have heard and seen evidence of numerous vehicle BREAK-INS while playing on this course!

Beautiful County Park Course!

1    7/17/2009   7/22/2009
Pros: Have you ever been walking through a state or national park and thought to yourself, "I wish they would let me build a disc golf course here." That's what I think about Reedy. It's just one of my favorite parks for a course. Everything about the course has been done first class, from the teepads to the signs to the navigation aids. There has been a lot of hard work gone into this course with bridges, bulkheads, steps, etc. Nothing like having the resources of the parks department to help you build a top course. There are two sets of tees. The "Stouts" usually seem to just add 20 feet or so of distance. This is a recreational/intermediate type course. I believe long throwers might get a little frustrated here. They've added mulch in places to help with the slippery red dirt situation. There is elevation to deal with and a creek in play. A wide variety of shots is needed to score well. I didn't score well so I guess I don't have a wide variety of shots. The course was very clean when I played and grafitti free.
Cons: I can see where this course could might be slippery when it's wet. They're working on that problem. I played mid-week and although the course was busy, it didn't feel crowded at all. Big arms will miss their chance to throw those 400 ft. + drives.
Other Thoughts: I want to take this course back to Washington with me. It's absolutely stunningly beautiful. I'm obviously partial to mountain type scenery. I appreciate the variety, the amenties, the elevation and the intermediate challenge it presents.

reedy creek reveiw

5+    6/6/2009   6/27/2009
Review By: Avenger4ThaAce
Pros: great for tight midrange shots,tight fairways,nice tee pads,heaviely wooded.
Cons: not very easy to navigate for first time player,stout tee pads are poorly located (useually 20 feet behind original tee pad with trees in the way)
Other Thoughts: overall great little course especialy considering the age of the coarse i would deff. recomend this coarse to anyone if your down near charolette. so get out there!!! ONE NATION UNDER PAR!!!

Good Practice Course

5+    6/11/2009   6/17/2009
Review By: vonDrehle
Pros: -This course is one of the best courses in the Charlotte area to just take a Putter and a Roc out and practice with those disc. All the holes save a few long dog legs when longer baskets are used are reachable.
-One thing I really like about this course is that on several holes you can use more than one type of shot for a good result. For example on hole 1 you can go for a hyzar shot or a fairly straight shot depending on which side of the trees you decide to go.
-This course has really good sized teepads especially for being built in '89, most courses around that time have those really tiny tee's.
-Reedy Creek uses water effectively coming into play on several holes where an early release or a long throw might get you in trouble.
-Several holes have not 1 but 2 good possible tees to throw from.
Cons: -I found that some of the stout tee's aren't that great and really just move the original one back 15ft and putt a tree in front of you.
-I have played this course several times in the rain during tournament and I can tell you it is not a fun course to play when wet, it gets pretty muddy.
Other Thoughts: Whenever I make the hour trip down to Charlotte we will normally start out with Reedy Creek because it is such a good little warm up course. I have played several times during tournaments and casual rounds and always have a good time playing the course. It might not stack up to some of the other Charlotte courses but I would still recommend anyone in the area to give it at least a round or two.

Reedy IS Charlotte disc golf

5+    6/13/2009   6/14/2009
Review By: JD Heel
Pros: - Reedy has variety and elevation, which are it's two strongest assets:

- Although some holes are similar, each has a distinct flavor. Between the blind shots (6, 7, 11, 13, 14, 18), holes with water in play (numerous), drastic elevation changes (6, 14), and tight fairways (3, 8), there are many holes that stand out about this course.

- It's the elevation that really sets it apart from other Charlotte courses. Nothing else in the area is quite like Reedy when it comes to this. It almost has a mountain feel at times because the woods really take away the urban flavor and the elevation comes into play so often.

- Most of the course is shaded, so it's a great place to play in the hot summer.

- Reedy has many classic ameneties like benches and trash cans at the holes, etc.

- As others have mentioned, there are two locations for the baskets that get changed throughout the year. When the baskets are in the short locations, it really gives you birdie opportunities galore. When they are in the long, the course can be a bit more demanding. In addition to those, there are also the stout tees which can really challenge you.
Cons: - It's by far the most crowded course in Charlotte. Because it's close to UNCC, it picks up a lot of college kids as well as other casual players. You are more likely to find a group of 5-6 playing here than anywhere else, and that can be frustrating.

- The course gets muddy after rains, and it stays muddy for a good long while. I'd venture to say that there are parts of the course that are muddy year round because of the shade.

- At times, the course can be littered with beer cans and bottles. That's in direct correlation with the college crowd that often plays the course. To the park's credit, that issue has gotten better over the years, so somebody is doing a better job of cleaning up the course.

- Baskets are not yellow DiscCatchers, so they are hard to pick out at times. Most holes have a yellow "sign" on top to help locate them, but the latter holes don't even have that.
Other Thoughts: - Reedy IS Charlotte disc golf. It's the course that most outsiders relate to Charlotte, and it is by far the most played course in the area. When folks ask about me about Charlotte disc golf, they almost always mention Reedy in there somewhere.