Charlotte, NC
Reedy Creek Park Share

1    1/4/2010   2/27/2010
Review By: AdamCaudle
Pros: - Two sets of tees offer opportunities for varied skill levels.
- It is pretty secluded once you get on the course, and you almost feel like you're in the middle of nowhere, and it feels good.
- Lots of variation in elevation makes for some exciting shots. There's also a good balance of left bending, right bending, and straight holes.
- The hole lengths are good. They're short enough to reward a good/great shot with birdie, but the fairways are tight enough to punish bad shots. (Good risk reward).
- Concrete tees are always a plus in my book. These tees are a good size, too.
- There's a few open shots mixed in here and there to give you a break from all those carefully navigated wooded fairways.
- The tee signs were there on every hole, and very informative. They inlcuding lengths for all combinations of tee/basket positions.
Cons: - I played in the fall so the leaves were kind of a problem, but not a big deal or anything.
Other Thoughts: Overall I had a really fun time at this course. I walked away feeling good, even though I didn't shoot that well.
What I liked most about the course, though, was that you just felt like you were out in the middle of some uncharted woods.

Classic Course at Reedy

5+    1/16/2010   2/23/2010
Review By: That Chinger Guy
Pros: Easy to navigate. Very clean overall. Woods offer seclusion and peace within the park. Walking trails border the course. Nice, fun, course layout. Certain holes are very unique and offer exciting challenges.
Cons: Occasionally backed up on the weekends... Near UNCC which draws lots of visitors on days you may want to be by yourself IF your that kind of player.
Other Thoughts: This was my very first course playing disc golf. I quickly picked up the sport since and have claimed Reedy as one of my all-time favorite places to play. It's great for beginners and newcomers to the sport. Out of the courses I've played, Reedy still remains to be one of the most organized and enjoyable courses, despite any circumstance.

If you're looking for a good time with your friends, look no further! Reedy is CLASSIC

Fairest of the wooded Charlotte courses.

1    1/23/2010   1/23/2010
Pros: 1) Scorecard and maps available at the first tee. I like courses that think about the first timer or travelling disc golfer (such as myself). I do think ahead and print whatever I can about the course beforehand, but when I go out to new courses on the road I am on a mission, so many people will not think that up beforehand. This also helps the first timer local who does not know the course.

2) Basket positions listed on a sign at the first tee. It lists "baskets in SHORT positions". I like the standardization of this to leave all short positions for the winter, and all long for the summer, as opposed to the haphazard basket shifting I have seen on many courses.

3) There is a kiosk and a practice basket at the 1st tee area.

4) Garbage cans have lids on them that keeps any trash from blowing out, and also keeps the squirrels and such from entering the garbage. Imagine going to throw something in the garbage and a squirrel or racoon jumps up and latches onto your face. I might be afraid to go back to said course. This simple idea will keept hat from ever happening.

5) Pretty good cover on the ground. It is mostly 100% in the woods with very minimal turf areas therefore they rely on the leaves, pine straw, and mulch to cover the bare soil, since there is no way to grow turf in this dense of a wooded course. All in all it does a pretty good job of keeping the ground from being muddy and slick. You might actually suffer more from slipping on the pine straw than on the soil, but at lest it isn't muddy.

6) Very nice teesigns includes all of the needed info: Hole #, par, distance, all distances from both tees to both basket locations. There is a diagram also indicating the general lyout of the hole, something I value greatly on a tee sign.

7) Bridges are very well done and they do there job. They are safe and well put together and they do not show signs of shoddy craftsmanship as many courses tend to have (due to volunteer construction sometimes).

8) There is way more risk/reward on the long baskets. The shorts still have some basket locations that might create some spread of score distribution, but the longs have much more of that in play.

9) Overall the course has a decent variety in hole length. It has less 400' holes as some of the other Charlotte wooded courses making it the most accessible for more people, but it does have a decent variety. This will lead to different discs being thrown which is always a positive.

10) This course seems to be the fairest (some might think I mean easiest) of the densely wooded courses in the area. Charlotte has some incredibly tough and long wooded courses (nevin, hornets nest, renny) but this one requires the least amount of luck. You can shoot well here if you execute your shots and it doesn't take quite the precision it does on those other courses.

11) Well designed course with all skill levels in mind. Sure maybe a beginner wouldnt be "comfortable" here but it is a manageable course (at least as manageable as any course int he Charlotte area that I played. It would be a good step for a beginner golfer wanting more challenge, but who isn't quite ready to tackle renny, nevin, or hornets nest.

13) Dual pins and dual tees (on most holes). This is a great idea for multiple reasons. The first reason is variety of shot shaping is different based on the pins and also which tee you play. It also varies the length of the hole, which in turn varies the challenge. It also allows for a different course all the time. I am not sure if they stick to the long baskets all summer, and the shorts all winter, I am sure they mix it up, but it is nice to have an easier course setup for the winter when less people play, and you are not on the top of your game.

14) This course is the most wore in so it has very clearly defined fairways. I like this especially in a wooded courses because sometimes figuring out where the lanes are can be very difficult.

15) Dual concrete teepads are always a plus.

16) This course is far removed from other activities in the park although you might run across some walkers from time to time walking down the fairways or the occassional path thatintersects the course, but overall it isnt bad.

17) Excellent use of elevation on this course. This is a protypical Charlotte course with its elevation changes and its dense woods. Just what I consider to be awesome disc golf!

18) Very little undrebrush. Even if you get off the forgiving fairways by a little bit you won't have to worry too much about thorny vines or other such growth.

19) 18 solid holes of golf. As I said in the negatives nothing really stood out as that incredibly awesome hole, but there are zero throwaways on this course in my book, as so often happens on courses specifically due to routing or getting to another cool part of the property. This entire property could have disc golf weaved through it!!!!

20) Shelter and gazebo available for shelter and pinicking.

21) DGA baskets with yellow plate are the original course. The red normal #ed plates are the stout layout. Number plates are always nice, but even moreso when they face the tee like they do here!

22) Bathrooms near the parking lot.

23) Park has a nice variety of alternative things to do . . . horseshoes, playground, picnicking, volleyball, soccer, baseball, walking trails. This is always a positive especially if you are trying to play disc golf and keep the significant other happy too.

23) Next tee signs were helpful on 7 basket 8 tee.

24) All in all an enjoyable walk in the woods with or without the disc golf but it always makes it better!
Cons: 1) The course is definitely the most wore in. It has some areas where the soil is bare and has been worn down due to compaction and traffic. I didn't notice them to be too slick or slippery even after the recent rains they had, but it is still worth noting on course conditioning.

2) Unfortunately it looks like on Hle #1 the tree that was in the middle of the fairway has fallen down. i am not sure if it is by design or not but the mirror image shot down the right fairway still has the tree there. That creates a clear advantage to those shooting up the left fairway as opposed to the right. It isn't a huge negative, but it would be a better hole if both avenues had the same single tree in the fairway.

3) Stumps and roots are plentiful on this course and could cause you to trip and/or fall. Just be sure to keeo your eyes on the ground!

4) Lacks some of the challenge the other courses have. This can be viewed as a positive and a negative, but for this mention it is a negative. I have given the course props for being more fair and good for beginners so it gets two thumbs up for its challenge and 1 thumb down. Overall this nets out to a positive but I had to mention it here too.

5) Althought he course does have a couple shorter and a couple longer holes I think the variety could have been better handled. I would like to see some more holes in the 300-400' range and a couple more shorter acerun holes. It is the variety that is the spice of life as so many say, and some of the holes tend to be a little monotonous in distance.

6) I am listing this as a negative because for about 9 holes I though my car may be towed. There is a sign on the 10th tee that says violaters will be towed at owners expense. I am not sure what it is referring to, but because I got there before sunup I thought maybe I missed a sign that tells me to check in or to pay for park usage. So I played my last 9 holes in a hurry to try and beat whoever might be in charge of towing my car away. I still am not sure what it meant, the only thing I can think of is that parking by the 10th tee is not permitted and people may have done so int he past to get in a quick 9 or something.

7) Mulch could be used in a few spots to cover bare soil and handle some erosion issues. There aren't many places I would recommend this but around some of the tees and baskets it would be nice.

8) Apparently vandalism or breakins are a common occurrence. If you look to your left as you leave your car and head towards the 1st tee you will see the sign. It stood out to me even before I read some of the other reviews.

9) Course is known as the most played (probably for all the reasons I like the course), so it definitely will be crowded in summer and with lots of kids around.

10) No real signature holes, just a bunch of good holes. Nothing really wowed me (except my ace on #2 of course).

11) A few spots where directionals would help the first timer. Next tee signs would have been helpful on 5-6 and 9-10 for the first timer.

12) Long walk from 18 back to the lot, and if you are navigationally challenged you might not know where the lot is when you finish #18 so a simple sign would help here too.
Other Thoughts: Overall I had a great day. I got an ace on my second hole of the day, and thoroughly enjoyed my round at this course. I had a much easier time playing well here and was surprised by my scores (+2 from the longs, and -8 from the shorts (helped by an ace)). There are by far way less true par 4's on this course than the others mentioned which makes a big difference. Most of the holes are duecable with a well executed shot fromt he shorts, and the longs require a bit more length and a bit more precision. All in all a very well designed course that can accomodate a lot of differing skill levels. It is another awesome course in another awesome park for Mecklenberg County. I have said it in the other reviews that this is the county you want to live in if you love disc golf. There are all sorts of activities int his park and the course is 100% removed from civilization. I love walking through the woods and hearing nothing and seeing nothing. You do cross or pass a road here and there but they are all park roads with minimal traffic.

I have a feeling this course is rated 3.5 only because the other courses in the area are so awesome. I would be more than happy to play this course any given day of the week, in fact I only wish Milwaukee had some more courses like this. I have to give it a 4 because I do not think it is far behind the other more well known and harder courses int he Charlotte area. As an outsider I think it is a great course and like I said I would be happy to play it every day. I have given the course a 4 because I feel that given the two layouts and the two pads this course has some great variety. Sure I only got to play the short baskets, but I think the added challenge of the longs and I tried to pay attention to where they are, will only make this course better than its 3.5 disc rating it has overall.

I am not sure if I have said this before, but I almost feel like after playing all the awesome courses in Charlotte that I need to go and knock every other course I have played and rated down about 1/2 a disc. This is such an awesome town, with some incredible disc golf and I think if I were to retire and still be playing disc golf . . . I might have to come to Charlotte!!!! I like our WI courses but they just happen to lack that "thing" that Charlotte has. I will miss you, but I may make it a yearly stop on my winter trip to Florida!!!

1    11/30/2009   1/13/2010
Review By: jkdisc
Pros: The park is not far from civilization but you feel like you are. Very clean. Multiple concrete tee pad are always a plus. I like the use of elevation throughout the course. The signs make it very easy to navigate. Benches, trash cans, and bathrooms are never too far away.
Cons: No real long shot. If you have a big arm it might not be used here, if you do not have a big arm bring your big arm friend and keep him in check here.
Other Thoughts: My brother is a lefty and I am a righty and sometimes you tend to see advantages for one of us on a certain course, not here. We felt like it was an equal playing field and there would be no excuses. This is a fun course that I am sure I will be back to in the future. It's definetely worth your time.

Clean and Classic

1    1/8/2010   1/8/2010
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Great park and the disc golf course is well away from any distractions. Good concrete tee pads. Fairways that have clearly defined lines and not too much opportunity to lose a disc. Good use of elevation on several holes. Good signs at tee pads indicating the multiple positions for the baskets. Good bridges, walkways and stairs to navigate the course. Bathrooms at the parking lot and benches on every hole. Basket in good condition.
Cons: No wide open holes to let loose on. Course is entirely wooded. No holes that jump out at me as memorable. No real big negatives that should cause anyone to avoid this course.
Other Thoughts: I played the 'Original Layout' and the baskets were in the short position. There is also a 'Stout Layout' with alternate tee pads and longer basket positions. I liked the course and will update this review after playing the course again when the baskets are in the long position. I will probably upgrade the rating at that time to at least a 3.5 depending on how the course plays. I think that the long positions will add some challenge and additional enjoyment to a round at Reedy. Overall this classic course in Charlotte is defintely worth a stop even with all the great courses in the area.

Not the best in Charlotte... but fun!

1    11/23/2009   12/18/2009
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- Wide Open Wooded. Reedy, like Kilborne TPC, is a wooded course with wide open fairways. (20'+ wide, shaped fairways through trees). Get offline and you'll pay with a tough recovery attempt, but hit the gap and you'll get a realistic biride shot/park job.
- Scoreable. (Note: when we played the course, the pins were in the short positions). The original layout, in the short positions, is begging to be birided. Big scores can easily be had (-10+). After showing my ass for the first 13 holes, I birdied 5 of the last 6 to get to -5.
- Two Looks. Like many Charlotte courses, Reedy offers two teepads, and sometimes two pins, on every hole. Therefore, there are "two" courses: Original and Stout, with the Stouts usually being longer and/or quite a bit tougher.
Cons:
- Break-Ins. When pulling into the park you will see a large sign about leaving valuable items in your vehicle… it's no joke. Apparently they have break-ins there all the time. I don't know how often "all the time" is… but, it's often enough to have a sign. The DG parking lot is secluded at Reedy and this probably leads to the criminals feeling safe.
- Crowded. Because Reedy is probably the best beginner friendly course in Charlotte, it's packed. There were large groups all over the course. We started early enough and didn't really have any trouble, but when we finished our round and walked back to the parking lot, Hole 1 probably had 4 groups waiting.
- Aces Anybody? Midway through the round I said to the rest of the group, "This course is begging to be aced". All of a sudden on the hole behind us a kid bangs his first ace. Two holes later a guy in our group bangs his first ace. And then on the 17th Hole, I bang the center of the basket and it spits.
- Overall, it's a pretty fun course and I can see why it's crowded. Lots of decent shots, good FAIRways, scores to be had, and easier than the other Charlotte greats.
- My Rankings. If you're planning a road trip to Charlotte, here are my rankings (of the courses I've played): Renny, Hornetts, Sugaw, Kilborne, Reedy, …………………Veterans.
- My Score: -5

I Play It At Least Twice A Week

5+    10/9/2009   10/12/2009
Review By: Charlotte49er
Pros: Wooded, yet open enough for letting discs fly.
Woods provide shade.
Close to University of Charlotte.
Usually not difficult to find unfortunately thrown discs.
Cons: It can get crowded.
Most holes are fitted for a right turning throw, especially on the back nine.
Other Thoughts: Hole 14 (the one next to the cricket/soccer fields) has an alternate tee. Above the concrete stands, to the left looking down at the field, is a tee that juts off of the sidewalk. It provides the only truly open shot of the course where you can throw it as hard as you can. We play it a par 5, but probably should be a par 4.

Technical, wooded with elevation

5+    9/5/2009   9/30/2009
Review By: bettsjc
This review was updated on 2/18/2011
Pros: Reedy Creek is maintained very well. Concrete teepads on every hole and excellent signage depicting hole with basket locations, distance and par. Benches and trash cans are located at most holes. The course has short and long teepads. The long pads add a few more feet but not too much different from the shorts.

With the baskets in the short position the course plays as a beginner/intermediate course, in the long position it is more of an intermediate course. Play from the long tees gives advanced players a good challange. Short pins used from Oct-Mar. Longs Mar-Oct. A few short pin locations are not used because of past damage.

The elevation is very apparant on holes 2, 5, and 14. It also adds to the nice scenery.

Each hole is it's own adventure, and most holes are very unique and well thought out in development. Very technical and challanging course, requiring a variety of shots to shoot well. Long tees give some opportunity to let the guns out and rip one for distance, but long drives not required to shoot this course well.
Cons:
This may be a tough course to play in wet weather, as most fairways are dirt. The elevation changes on this course could make it difficult to trek in wet conditions.

Map may be necessary if not playing with someone who is familiar with the course. In my first experience I went from #7 to #2 and couldn't find my way back to #7. And it wasn't until my third time playing the course that I found out that there was a short teepad for #6.
Other Thoughts: Reedy Creek is the oldest course still in place in the Charlotte area. I'm sure it has taken alot of time for Reedy to develop the character is has today. Located near UNCC it gets its share of traffic at all hours of the day. This is one course in Charlotte that feels more natural, not so much as a "walk in tha park" but walking a nature trail. A gem of a course in a nicer area of town, and a very nice park. Expect a crowd on nice afternoons and on weekends. Would highly recommend playing a round at Reedy Creek if you are visiting the area.

5+    8/4/2009   8/8/2009
Review By: wooky
Pros: This was my home course in charlotte so a lil biased...lol. It is a great course to learn the ins and outs of DG. It plays well and like all charlotte course is very well maintained. It is not the longest course in the area or the hardest (renny GOLD) but it is a great course.
Cons: That it is not closer

Old, but still a great course.

5+    7/31/2009   7/31/2009
Review By: chain-addicted
This review was updated on 8/6/2010
Pros: Concrete tee-pads, great variety, not alot of trees down the fairway on most holes, which keeps it pretty fair for even the most novice of players. Original tees plus "Stout" tees make for a great day whether you are a beginner or feel up to a little bit more of a challenge.

Totally wooded, so it provides great shade through the whole round which is good on those hot summer days! Not a far drive from other Charlotte area courses (i.e. Kilborne, Sugaw). No thick bushes/thorny brush that makes it hard to retrieve a disc (like "Renny" across town).

Wildlife abounds here, which is a plus for me. There is nothing like having a course which is in almost total seclusion to give a feeling of "near-serenity".

Restrooms are across the parking-lot from the practice basket near hole # 1's tee-pad.
Cons: Sometimes when I go there it can be REALLY crowded and it always seems to be I get stuck behind that SLOW group of folks that are playing just ahead of me. That's just my 2 cents.

Also, it seems to have alot of erosion on the fairways of most holes....It can get pretty muddy after a heavy rain.... Watch your footing folks!

There is a possibility of ending up in some water on the left side of the fairway on hole #4 if you play it from the "stout" tee on that hole.
Other Thoughts: I like the fact that if I only want to get in a quick 9, you have that option due to the fact that hole 9's basket is right near teepad #1.

You have to love this course even though it is one of the oldest in the area. This one and Kilborne TPC is where I spend alot of my time.

UPDATE:
I wish more people would stop being lazy and learn to PLACE THEIR TRASH WHERE IT BELONGS, or pack it out! I am starting to see more and more trash out on these fine Charlotte courses and it just pisses me off. Most of Charlotte's courses are not without garbage pails. There should be no reason to leave your empty beer bottles laying right next to the teepad when there is a trashcan right there next to the bench (on most holes). Grow up people...

WARNING!: LOCK your vehicle up and leave valuables in your vehicle OUT OF SIGHT. I have heard and seen evidence of numerous vehicle BREAK-INS while playing on this course!