Beautiful part of south Florida... plus disc golf!
3 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: -21 holes, currently (22 on some days when the league guys put up a temporary basket)
-fairly long course (four par 4s) plus long and short tees on many holes
-very few simple "air it out over wide open territory" shots; rewards distance but not as much as it rewards line shaping
-Animals! from birds to crocodiles to crabs to snakes, you can see a lot of south Florida wildlife here; it makes for a nice day out and it's in south Florida, so it's really available all year long (although during wet season the mosquitoes are really bad)
-not busy; many more walkers/bikers than disc golfers, but the walkers/bikers rarely get in the way of throws
-good variation; here are more than a few highlights:
1) relatively long hole with fence OB on left and some trees to get around (pretty much impossible for most to two, so it's par 4)
3) nice par 4 with a long open shot before OB street, then a basket nestled in among some trees on a little hill - good hole requiring a good drive and good upshot to have a birdie attempt (at least for my power level)
5) wooded par 4; woods are fairly thick, so it requires a good tunnel fairway shot to a decently defined layup zone, with another fairly tough shot to the basket
7) a 200' or so "carve the right line and don't hit the trees" shot
8) a pretty simple Buzzz type shot, but the gap is easy to miss and the basket location is up on a mound, so it's very tough to park
9) basket up behind some trees; some fairway trees also make it a tricky tee shot
10) basket nestled into a little cove with a tree ceiling; I still haven't birdied this one
12) basket behind some trees, but this one favors a forehand line
15) a nice short water shot to a basket up on a hill
16) basket only 10-15' from water's edge; makes drives/approaches/putts all a bit scary
17) a longer shot with water on the right (and a headwind, typically) which is perfect for a long RHBH drive that fades at the end, as long as you don't turn it over and splash it
18) another water shot - this time get around/over the water and fade right
Cons: -navigation can be a bit hairy; some tees and baskets were hard to find the first time I played
-a couple of the holes just seem like they were crammed in to take advantage of some extra space (e.g. 5b, 6, & 7b); I actually do enjoy these, since they test some shots which I don't always use; nevertheless, 6 in particular is in the middle of a walkway
-holes 5, 5b, 6, 7, 7b, and 8 tend not to have the best fairways, and it's easy to find spiderwebs and ants if you get off said fairways - but that said, these really force good shots; and I always appreciate that in a course
Other Thoughts: I think most courses grow on me when I play them more, unless they're simple pitch-and-putts. I would have rated this 2.0 or 2.5 the first couple times I played it, but now I consider it a solid 3.0. If some of the wooded holes were a little better cut out, and some signage was added, this has 4.0 potential for sure.
3 of 3 people found this review helpful.
3 Helpful / 4 Not
Pros: course is well maintained and clean always open to the public and has security on site the course was changed making it a challenging course and a fair course. the course is set up like it was when it was first installed hole three is back a par 4 and 4 tees off from other side of hole 3 across field to side walk holes 5 , 6, 7 , 8 are in the woods down sidewalk everything else is same holes 1 3 5 and 18 are par 4s rest are threes par 58
Cons: needs signs marking holes or a map showing the layout.teepads would be nice tees are marked with stones and some are painted on sidewalks 2 3 5 6 12 14 16 17 are on sidewalks
Other Thoughts: this would be a great course if ever finished we need more courses in south dade course has really improved turning out to a fun course to play
3 of 7 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.