Gardner, WI
Sugar Creek County Park Share
Uploaded By: TheWCG Hole #14 (Taken 5/2013)
3 / 285ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Fun wooded course

1    8/20/2013   8/28/2013
Review By: ricklev
Pros: An easy walk through the woods if you stay on the fairways. I agree that it did have a kind of pinball feel in some places, but mostly the course was just fun.
Cons: -For an out-of-towner, it was difficult to find the park. Then it was difficult to find the first hole from the parking lot. I finally found the path to #17 from the street, so I started there.
-I'm not sure what regulation is for length on tee pads, but many of them felt a bit short. In some cases I had trouble getting the usual run-up I like to have.
Other Thoughts: I met the course designer while playing the course. He was very friendly and told me that there will eventually be a bridge over the creek from the parking lot so it will be easier to get to Hole #1. I think he did a good job with what the park provides. Because it took me so long to find the park and first hole, I was on vacation and didn't have time to play the entire course. I played 17,18,1,2,3, and 4 and enjoyed it. #18 was challenging for me. It was a hot day, but the course was in the trees, so it was cooler (though humid). If I'm back in the area, I'll enjoy playing the entire course.

Sweet DGC @ Sugar Creek

1    11/17/2012   11/22/2012
Review By: LeddZepp8687
Pros: -Super grippy rubber teepads.
-Gentle rolling elevation to make things a little more interesting.
-Nice woodchip walkways between holes making this course more than easy enough to navigate. (Once you find the first hole that is)
-Pretty punishing roughs, Nothing crazy but expect any errant shots to cost you a throw or two to recover. It was fall when I played here so the underbrush was pretty thin but the amount of overhead tree cover would seemingly provide lots of shade and choke out any kind of heavy underbrush in sping and summer months.
-Nicely wooded fairways that prove to be very challenging on some holes.
-Being that this course is pretty deep in the woods it is not only extremely quiet but it is also not windy at all.
-Fairly centrally located in door county making it a reasonable trip no matter where in door county you are. If you will be up with family make sure to sneak away for a while to play this one.
Cons: -Finding the first hole was interesting. I would suggest parking in the boat launch parking lot and walking to the north end of the lot and crossing the creek. If the creek is high you will need to walk out to county road N and enter the course along the old access road and walk past the last two holes to find hole one.
-Signage is very basic, It gives distance and par and that is it. some of these holes have blind basket locations that you cannot see from the teepad, Which means you will be walking a bunch of the holes to get a good visual of the basket location and shooting blindly could very well mean losing a disc. I threw one hole blindly and spent 20 minutes looking for a disc as I misjudged the basket location.
-There are a few holes with a "pinball golf" feel to them. I am an above average player and I can usually hit the gaps I want but there are a few holes where lady luck has a part in how well you shoot. This isn't so bad though, it keeps things interesting and fun but it can be discouraging at times.
-A lot of the holes have a very similar feel to them, however the variance in obstacles keeps things fresh enough so that it isn't overly boring or repetitive.
-There is a couple spots where there is potential for interference with other players if traffic picks up at this course.
-No real long holes where you will be breaking out any max distance drivers but I feel that most wooded courses are like this though. This may be a con to more experienced players who want those long, grip and rip style holes but I think this course offers enough short game challenge to make this somewhat of a non-issue but that is just my opinion.
- I could foresee there being some erosion issues with the elevated teepads. There needs to be something along the sides of the pads to support them and prevent the stones and screening from washing out.
Other Thoughts: This is good and fun course, Definitely one of the better courses in the area. We stayed in sister bay so this was the closest course to us that was worth playing. If you are visiting the area I would strongly suggest also playing winter park, which is not exactly close to this course but playing this course and winter park in the same day made for a good day trip for us.

My friend had all intentions of bringing his camera to get pictures for this course but unfortunately he forgot it at the house. Next time we wont forget it!

Fall leaves were pretty brutal here, Lots of kicking around in the leaves to find discs so throw bright colored discs if possible.

THOMASO

1    11/3/2012   11/5/2012
Review By: thomaso
This review was updated on 11/8/2012
Pros: Challenging. All quality holes, beautiful mature woods, scenic and remote. On shore of Lake Michigan's Green Bay
Cons: Some holes lack any realistic flight path to pin ( from tee). Some very selective small tree removal, would improve this.
Some holes are too short, multiple pin placements would really help.
Other Thoughts: This nice,new course has a lot of potential. With the inexpensive improvements noted above, I would boost my rating to a 3.5

Sugar Creek- a fun outing

1    9/16/2012   9/19/2012
Review By: Glo Roc
Pros: Technical course in the woods. Most of the holes are between 180-300 feet. Beginner friendly yet entertaining for the seasoned player. About the best rubber teepads I've seen. They are flat and perched on limestone I believe.
Cons: Teepads are great now but weather and erosion could play a factor in the future. Could be monotonous for some. There needs to be a sign that tells you where to go at the start. You have to explore a bit in the woods to find the first tee.
Other Thoughts: This was the third course of 3 we played on our road trip. We were a bit tired and by the end we were ready to hang up the bags for the day. I enjoy wooded/technical courses since we don't have any of those in Madison. Wish some of the holes were longer but it is still fun to play. Definitely enough trees to make it entertaining. Lost a Roc out there. If you find it please give a call!

Love Me Them Wooded Courses

1    9/9/2012   9/9/2012
Review By: Shuie
Pros: - Park is right on the bay(Easy access to go swimming).
- Also, there are picnic tables and Restrooms available.
- Course plays in a heavily wooded area all by itself.(great for hot or windy days)
-Course has a very secluded, did see anyone on my first round but on the 2nd round two groups showed up
- Tee pads are nice grippy rubber ones but as Harro stated the Gravel pad they sit on needs to be retained some how cause after a bunch of rain and play i can see them falling apart.
- Course flow was very easy and apparent just follow the chipped path
- Course distance varies from 184-360 with most whole between 200 and 285.
-Rough is punishing which it should be on course this short; errant shots will cost you a stroke.
- Decent variety here has every thing but some serious uphill shots and water.
-Signs are simple(distance,number and par)
Cons: - Signs are simple but effective
- Course a bit a the short side but the tightness helps make up for it.
- No trash cans or Benches on the course
- Course is borderline Pinball Golf/Probability Golf.
Other Thoughts: i really enjoyed this course. I am very glad to see Door County get a nice course finally!!!!!!!!! This course is a very wooded course that required you to hit you lines in order to be rewarded with that being said though some of holes offer some interesting lines. Course is new and still needs a few things(bridge to and from course,trash cans, benches and better tee signs). I am sure this will all come and i am not really factoring it into my rating.
So for now Park in the drive by hole 17 and save yourself the walk .

A welcome addition to Door County

1    9/4/2012   9/4/2012
Pros: 1) Excellent property with old growth hardwoods. There are mature trees throughout and plenty of young growth underneath to replace the older dying trees. This course should be great for a long time to come.

2) Beginner friendly course in terms of the distance. Most holes are under 300, with the two most fogiving holes stretching out over 300', The distance variation is moderate with a couple holes under 200', most between 225-275 and a handful over 275.

3) Nice DGA Mach baskets with the number plates facing the tees. I think these are Mach 2 New baskets but am not 100% sure.
They all seemed to be installed properly.

4) Nice grippy rubber tees laid on top of levelled and compacted gravel. These are a lot better than the uneven ground that would be there. Not sure if concrete is in the picture down the road, but it would be nice long term.

5) Excellent variety of shots needed here. You definitely need to work your disc both ways and sometimes straight. Some holes offer options for shot making and others are dictated by the early or late trees.

6) Average sized parking lot and bathrooms near the parking lot. Not accessible while on the course but at least the park has something. I heard on the radio commercial today that new bathrooms are also part of the planned improvements to this park.

7) The paths between holes are well marked with smaller trees laid down and mulch on all of them to help guide your way from hole to hole.

8) Nice looking signs that lack only a map. They have Hole #, Distance, and Par but no hole map. Most holes are self explanatory but a few of the more difficult holes a map would be hlpful in figuring out your route.

9) Elevation change was moderate but used very well. There were only a few holes that didn't either go up or down a little bit. #1 green is a nice use of the elevation and #2 shoots down the same mound which is fun. Then there are a few mixed into the middle of the course that go up or down moderate elevation changes.
Cons: 1) There are a few dangerous paths between holes due to people not waiting on the tee. I know there is little that can be done about idiocy, and the routing was needed to make the holes as good as they are but safety is paramount in my opinion and should always be considered. They did a pretty good job keeping most of the tees away from baskets, but those switchback paths bring the people more into play ont he hole they just finished.

2) I imagine this course will be brutal in fall from the leaves. I cannot say I know this for a fact but with all those large mature trees discs will most certainly slide under the fallen leaves making disc tracking difficult.

3) There are no signs directing you to where to begin temporarily. I am unsure of how quickly the bridge will go in bringing you directly from the parking lot to the 1st tee and from 18 back to the lot, but it is worth mentioning. I also am a little understanding because they were rushing to get this course open. This negative will be removed as soon as I hear the bridge is installed because then I am sure they will have signage and it will be obvious on where to go to begin your round. The course literally opened on Saturday so I understand the priorities that went into opening right away.

4) Lacking in hole type variety. I cannot fault the designer it simply is a densely wooded mature property. While they did use a clearcut path on #17 and #18, those holes are still lined with dense woods so it isn't all that different than the rest of the holes. Fortunately I like wooded courses better so this doesn't affect my rating or enjoyment much, but it is worth noting that you will not be out ripping any max distance drivers on this course.

5) While I appreciate the effort with the rubber tees and the stone underneath, many of those tees are built up 6-15" even to make them level. Everytime you step off the tee or overstep the end of the tee during a throw the gravel goes flying. This is weekend #1 for disc golf here and those stone areas will definitely wash away. I would have at least temporarily put in some of the fallen trees to help retain the gravel, or if concrete is eventually in the plans, why not just build some retention ares with timbers to help keep the stone in place. Then when concrete is done, you could simply pour right over the stone after removing the rubber tees. Again I do not know what the long term plans are, but regardless of what is goin to happen, that stone will need to be retained or it will continue to wash out and the tees will continue to settle and get uneven. This decision is all about long term sustainability. I understand they rushed to get the course open and I can appreciate the efforts that went into it, but this is something I would recommend as being on of the first things done so that there are no maintenance issues on these tees.
Other Thoughts: This is a fairly short tightly wooded course. It has natural beauty because the woods are very clean (very minimal buckthorn and underbrush). It has moderate elevation changes and some distance variation to alter the challenge on some of the holes. There are birdie opportunities out there but you really need to be on your game. There are plenty of trees to knock down your shots if you are errant.