Waupun, WI
Uploaded By: koogs Hole #5 (Taken 9/2012)
Hole #5 Am Tee

Great tech course

5+    8/17/2015   8/18/2015
Review By: Earl Jackson
Pros: -two pins on every hole (hole 4 is in the works)
-red and blue pads offer 2 unique looks on most holes
-a great mix of anny and hyzer shots
-superb tee pads
-9 mach 5 pins
-signs are detailed and accurate
-lots of ace runs
-no wind...ever
Cons: -signs are only on the short pads (signs for the . long tees are being planned)
-very little elevation
-no long bomb holes
-rough can be unforgiving at times
-9 holes
Other Thoughts: I first played this course right after it was first opened and I have to say that it has come a very long way. Over the last few years it has really grown on me and it's now one of my favorites. This is a very technical course so it really favors the control player vs. the hulk arm. It is probably the best course for a windy day that I've ever played. Ive been out there on days where there was 30 mph winds and it due to the fact that 95% of the course is in the woods it doesn't effect your disc at all. Over all I would highly recommend this course. As far as 9 holers go, it doesn't get much better.

Fun and technical

1    6/4/2015   6/5/2015
Review By: Grinder12000
Pros: Not really a "thinking mans" course as there is to many random tree hitting. More like which of the hundred trees will I TRY to miss. Fun course with many alternative shots. I WOULD have given this a 4.0 but a couple CONS (see below).

But 7 holes are wonderful with an assortment of left/right/straight shots and trouble everywhere.

It's a short course so put the driver in the bag.

I won't repeat what others have said. Sort of redundant but a course you really should check out and is evolving with more and more use. The group that is in charge of the course have the shit together for sure!
Cons: OK - It's so much easier to point out a few flaws but don't take it like I dislike the course. I've designed a number of virtual ball golf courses in SIM Golf and when the SIMS start finding short cuts that is a problem because the course is not being played as designed.

There are a couple holes where players with course knowledge go off course and I think this is a design flaw. Both offending holes are hard HARD doglegs which make no sense to me as you are almost forced to go off course or make weirdo right angle 70 foot shots.

The problem is that if you were there alone for the 1st time you would never know to make those "through the woods" blind shots on #2 and #9.

Those are the only design flaws but seriously, this course could have 36 different layouts with the number of permanent tees and baskets. Well done.

Oh - dare I say - mosquitoes. I did not see any but that kind of environment is mosquito friendly.
Other Thoughts: this is the 4th year for the course and it is evolving and will get better and better with age. It will open up with more traffic tromping around and the people in charge understand what is needed.

NOT your cookie cutter course and is fun and challenging from a technical stand point - bad shots are penalized but still playable. I don't anybody as ever having a boring round which is key to fun. Well done

Date: 6/11/2015 Designer Response by: Awol
We appreciate the review!

As with any course, the locals will find their own paths, regardless of design.

No local route on the course is without it's dangers, and all but the highest level of player will be taking a risk on the local route(s). Ask any of the locals, they will tell you about the time they ended up with a Bogey or Double Bogey instead because they hit a branch and then they were fighting back through to the fairway / basket.

2-4    5/30/2015   5/31/2015
Review By: wolfhaley
Pros: There are two sets of tee pads on each hole except hole 4. These are all level, grippy and nicely sized. There are also two baskets on each hole except hole 4. This is only the second course I've seen with 2 pads and 2 baskets other than Brickyard in Menominee. This really makes a course so much better with the vast amount of options on each hole. The signs here are top notch. There are very large with an awesome detailed map on each short tee pad. It shows the location of each tee and both basket locations as well as distances for all set ups and the par. The course is heavily wooded making for a challenging round. The baskets are yellow and orange and really stick out in the thick woods. The course is free and up year round which both are bonuses. there are also campsites right by the course which would be cool to play some night rounds.
Cons: When we went there were numerous spots with standing water up to 6 inches deep in places. Hole 9 is a ridiculous dogleg left that is basically impossible to par from the long set up. The rough is pretty brutal on most holes so make sure you really watch where your throw went. I also would think the bugs would be bad in the summer months. though theres nothing they can do about this.
Other Thoughts: This is a really nice course that is worth playing if you're anywhere in the area. I really wish more courses had the 2 basket/2 tee set up. This really ups the fun factor. I'd recommend this course over any nearby course.

Date: 6/1/2015 Designer Response by: Awol
Thanks for the review!

Unfortunately the area around 7 & 9 are the lowest points in a pretty large area, so it can collect water after a big rainfall. (3 1/2" of rain in the last week!)

By Sunday's league at noon it was still wet, but playable. I expect by Tuesday it will be damp, but walkable in almost all of the course again.

Quick edit - and in regards to 9, it is a par 4. One to the corner, one out to the open area, one approach, and one putt. It isn't easy, but if all we wanted was easy, we would have left the baskets over in Tanner Park!

Nothing special but not bad.

2-4    9/13/2014   9/13/2014
Review By: smatthew854
This review was updated on 1/9/2015
Pros: It's a nice wooded course with plenty of tight shots and right doglegs throughout. There was a challenge factor there for my first time playing the course even though the holes seem fairly easy once learned.
Two tee's for each hole and two possible pin locations give this 9 hole course quite a bit of variety.
Though there is quite a bit of rough if you miss the fairway, it was still fairly easy to find your disc. But that could also be a result of it being fall and not as thick as earlier in the year.
Cons: Only one pin and it's not always in the same location throughout the course. It switches between red and yellow quite a bit, with no marking at the tee as to which location it's in. Not a problem other than there are many blind tee shots so you have to walk the hole first to find out which pin its in.
Though there are two tees only the closest tee to the basket has a sign at it. Not too bad but for a couple tees it would be very nice to have one at both locations.
There are no markings at the basket pointing you to the next hole, only on the tee sign. Backwards from what would be most convenient. Even with that finding the next tee wasn't that difficult.
My only true 100% downside to this course are the baskets. They are Innova disc catcher, i believe. Having never played with single chain baskets before it amazed me how much less they caught, and how much more spring is in them to toss your disc back, than with the mach 3 and 5 baskets I've played on at other courses. In just the 18 holes I played so far I've already had 3 puts pushed off that would have caught on the double chain baskets.
Other Thoughts: Although this was a fun course it was not fun enough to make my list of favorites. I would play it again sure but I would not go out of my way to make sure I went there regularly.
January 9th update: the people in charge of this course setup seem to be very hands on and open to suggestions. It is a very big upside for this course. Making me reconsider my visitation frequency of this course, and going more often to give better constructive comments both good and bad.

Date: 10/21/2014 Designer Response by: Awol
Thanks for the review, we appreciate the feedback!

We put the next tee signs (and some OB/Mando) up on the problematic holes in late September, probably a week or two after you had played! Still a work in progress. Basket notation is our Winter project and will be coming next Spring.

Great afternoon in the woods

1    5/24/2014   6/3/2014
Review By: KnexFour
Pros: Beautiful location in the back woods of Waupun. Don't show up with sandals because you will be trekking through the woods! Good variation of long straight, short bendy, and all else in between in just 9 holes. Surrounding park area is a great place to spend all day, especially with the upcoming aquatic center that is opening soon. Each hole has two concrete tee pads that are very nice. Signage is also very visually appealing and easy to follow.
Cons: Not the easiest beginner course, but I'm a beginner and didn't lose any discs, so it's not that hard but be prepared to do a little disc hunting if you can't throw straight like me.

The woods isn't a place for pansies, but there are a lot of prickly plants and burrs if you go off course. And the woods have bugs.
Other Thoughts: Bring a few beers, there's plenty of trash cans around too!

Very Technical

5+    5/29/2014   5/29/2014
Review By: DJdarkness73
Pros: Very technical course that will require some thought before each throw. If you don't have a good forehand or anhyzer this course will force you to learn one.
Cons: The rough is getting better but is still filled with thorns. A few more years and some more traffic will help a lot.
Other Thoughts: Great course. Other reviews have done hole by hole analysis so not much need for me to repeat.

Positive in the works

2-4    10/24/2013   2/26/2014
Review By: Lavis
Pros: I really love playing in the woods. All 9 holes were well marked and for a new course I didn't have to wonder around looking for the next tee pad. The onsite camping and playground were a big plus for my wife and minie. I love the challenge of it and the place had an all together good vibe.
Cons: None. Love it! But if any it would be the beggers lice (stickers) that covered me. But thats my bad for hucking out of bounds so much.
Other Thoughts: I'm looking faward to helping make this course better this summer and plan on volunteering time and tools!

1    9/2/2013   9/2/2013
Review By: Kimando
Pros: Signage was excellent. Wish they could have been on the pro tees as well.
Cons: Extremely overgrown. Errant shots just off of the path meant you are standing in prickers and burrs. Design of course could have used more of the natural terrain than what it is set up as.
Other Thoughts: With how much brush and weeds you get tangled up in, it loses any sense of fun playablity. Maybe the course will open up after its been walked more, but for now its really rough.

Potential is there

1    7/19/2013   7/22/2013
Review By: 2chainz
Pros: Wooded and challenging and you get a chance to work on tight throws with small fairways
Cons: Overgrown to a point that really becomes too frustrating to play. Also the pro pads do not have the hole info on them so it causes you to walk all the way to the am tee and then walk back to the pro tee. Holes were very short and some terrible doglegs that didnt make sense made the course not fun.
Other Thoughts: Bugs and thicket were just too bad to give this course worth anything.

Date: 3/26/2014 Designer Response by: Awol
It is a heavily wooded course that has been open for about 6 months. Damp summers mean more bugs in Wisconsin.

If you want a more polished course, come back in a couple years once we have had a chance to beat back the forest more. The course is open, but we are far from done.

Diamond in the Rough

1    6/23/2013   6/24/2013
Review By: roclover
Pros: Challenge: This course is a true test of your skills! This is a predominantly wooded course with some real touchy lines that will help you fine tune your accuracy or pay with unforgiving rough. Just a standard Hyzer/Anhyzer will not get you the birdies you need. You have to have some soft turn over shots, flip up hyzers, stall shots, power anyhzers, side arms and basically everything you can think of to score well here.

Tee Pads: Great flared/trapezoid tee pads are installed well with plenty of room for a full run up.

Beautiful wild life: I saw several white tail deer during my rounds and also quite an array of bird life including a wood pecker and hawk.

Punishing Rough: This is both a pro and a con. I list it as a pro, because I for one like to know that if someone, myself included, throws an errant shot they won't be able to just lay up for a par and move on. If you go big and mess up, you're pretty much guaranteed a bogey unless you have some kind of incredible roller/overhand shot up your sleeve. Personally, I like this because it increases the score spread, separates the field and adds to the "Risk/Reward" factor that everyone loves.

Signage: The brand new signs installed this past weekend look amazing! They are absolutely huge, accurate and are so pretty you almost hate to think about them being left outside in the elements.

Garbage Cans: There were garbage cans on almost every hole from what I saw, and I didn't see any litter!
Cons: Punishing Rough: Like I said both a pro and a con. The problem with the rough at this course is that it isn't just rough; it's a jungle out there! I'd definitely recommend using spotters your first time out and keeping a close eye on your throws. I know there are plans to eventually wood chip the rest the fairways/greens, but currently weeds/tall grass are quite prevalent and will eat your disc if you aren't careful.

Bugs: While they weren't as bad as I expected, they were definitely still there. I would definitely armor up with some good bug spray before your round and maybe consider wearing pants to keep the bugs and rough from hurting your experience.

No Bomber Holes: If you want somewhere to just "grip and rip" this isn't going to be your favorite. There are some longer holes here (400-500 ft) but they emphasize accuracy over power. If you just let loose and kill it, you're probably saying goodbye to your disc forever.

Growth in the Fairways: There are several fairways on the course where weeds/grass have punched through the wood chips and if you're unlucky can hide your disc. This is very fixable, and I know that WARP has plans for a prison crew to come out several times over the next several years to lay more woodchips throughout the course. In the meantime, I took the liberty to pull some of the weeds as I played and encourage any other avid golfer to do the same. With increased traffic and minimal help from every group we could clean up these fairways substantially.
Other Thoughts: Hole Analysis

I'm a dominant RHBH player who also uses some RHFH for shorter shots under 350 ft. This analysis is from long tees to short pins except on hole 3, which was long to long.

Hole 1: This is a great opening hole with a signature green. It's about 270 ft, but plays a little bit longer than that because there's kind of a low ceiling and the green sets at the top of a small hill. For me, this is a real nice beat roc shot. I throw my beat KC pro roc down the middle of the gap and let it finish to the right with a nice soft turnover. The gap you have to hit is about 25-30 ft wide and probably 200 ft away from the tee. Most of your putts are going to be about 25 ft and uphill unless you have a great shot that manages to clear the hill. This would be a great lefty hole and also a great sidearm hole if you have those shots as well.

Hole 2: Hard dogleg right hole. It's deuce able with a great anhyzer/overhand shot through the trees, but be prepared for the worse if you hit a tree and drop into the rough. I played it safe with a short sidearm from the tee giving me about a 70 ft jump putt to a protected basket.

Hole 3: 300 ft tunnel shot with punishing rough on the left and the right. I hyzer flipped a roc and had a putt, but was about 35 ft short. It seems to play a little longer than 300 ft because there are a few low hanging branches that create a low ceiling shot and the long grass tends to catch your disc before it can finish its flight. Once the weeds and grass are cut and chipped I think you could slide a midrange up to the basket, but next time I think I might try a leopard.

Hole 4: Short super tight tunnel shot. Only about 185 ft long, but dead straight with very little wiggle room! You have got to throw a pure shot here, or you'll 4 this little gem. I used my stand and deliver approach technique to score the deuce, but I'm sure next time I'll miss the line and take a 4.

Hole 5: Super tricky turnover/anhyzer shot. This is an old-school Barry Schultz style 360 ft leopard turnover shot. You need to get the disc out about 200 ft, hit a small gap and then have it turn from 12 o'clock to 2 o'clock and hold that line! If you either turn it over to hard or let it fade out you're in the rough. This is a true woods hole. There is the option to play it safe and lay up to the short pad and then play a 230 ft sidearm to get your 3, but even that is easier said than done.
NOTE: This hole has a long placement that looks sweet too and I can't wait to play it. It's about a 500 ft wooded "S" shot that definitely plays as a legit par 4.

Hole 6: Another tough hole. It's about 260 ft long turning slowly to the right. There are multiple trees in the fairway that make you choose a shot/line and commit. I still haven't figured out which line I like the best here. Some are better for side-arm while others are better for turnovers or anhyzers. I seem to be able to give myself a putt, but have never parked this hole.

Hole 7: 230 ft tunnel shot with the basket placed on the right side of the green. This is probably the easiest deuce on the course, but if you go for the ace, you're likely to turn it over to hard and catch a big guardian tree. I like to just throw the straight shot and take the 15 ft deuce putt.

Hole 8: Closest thing to a "bomber hole" on the course. It's the widest of all the fairways and plays 340 ft slightly downhill. Even then, it's deceptive. It's a bit of a tricky angle off of the tee and you can't throw any one straight line, but have to work the disc. I finally found success with a tee-bird "S" shot, but imagine there are many ways to play this hole.

Hole 9: Hard dogleg left hole. Similar to hole two, but opposite dogleg and longer. I once again played for the 3 here, but I can imagine that with a high risky hyzer you might have a chance at getting close enough for a long putt. It's great finishing hole that emerges from a small wooded tunnel back to the more open grassy area near the parking lot as your journey reaches its end.

Final Thoughts

I love the variety and challenge of this course and am very excited for WARP and the work they've done here. Congratulations guys, this was a great project. This course is definitely a work in progress/diamond in the rough, and like any new course is rough around the edges and needs to be broken in. I used to go walking in these woods and very rarely saw anyone else here. Now, with the added course, I've seen multiple groups playing and enjoying the course including several young families. I hope that everyone who plays can have a great experience here and also hope that people can help work to make this an even better course. Please help keep the course clean of litter, do a little weeding on your round and feel free to trump through some of the rough to thin it out. In time, with help from everyone and WARP's continued involvement I believe that we will have a top 10 nine hole course here. Please support this project by donating time or money to WARP so they can continue to revitalize our parks.