Waupun, WI
WARP DGC Share
Uploaded By: roclover Hole #3 (Taken 6/2013)

Fun and technical

1    6/4/2015   6/5/2015
Review By: Grinder12000
Pros: Not really a "thinking mans" course as there is to many random tree hitting. More like which of the hundred trees will I TRY to miss. Fun course with many alternative shots. I WOULD have given this a 4.0 but a couple CONS (see below).

But 7 holes are wonderful with an assortment of left/right/straight shots and trouble everywhere.

It's a short course so put the driver in the bag.

I won't repeat what others have said. Sort of redundant but a course you really should check out and is evolving with more and more use. The group that is in charge of the course have the shit together for sure!
Cons: OK - It's so much easier to point out a few flaws but don't take it like I dislike the course. I've designed a number of virtual ball golf courses in SIM Golf and when the SIMS start finding short cuts that is a problem because the course is not being played as designed.

There are a couple holes where players with course knowledge go off course and I think this is a design flaw. Both offending holes are hard HARD doglegs which make no sense to me as you are almost forced to go off course or make weirdo right angle 70 foot shots.

The problem is that if you were there alone for the 1st time you would never know to make those "through the woods" blind shots on #2 and #9.

Those are the only design flaws but seriously, this course could have 36 different layouts with the number of permanent tees and baskets. Well done.

Oh - dare I say - mosquitoes. I did not see any but that kind of environment is mosquito friendly.
Other Thoughts: this is the 4th year for the course and it is evolving and will get better and better with age. It will open up with more traffic tromping around and the people in charge understand what is needed.

NOT your cookie cutter course and is fun and challenging from a technical stand point - bad shots are penalized but still playable. I don't anybody as ever having a boring round which is key to fun. Well done

Date: 6/11/2015 Designer Response by: Awol
We appreciate the review!

As with any course, the locals will find their own paths, regardless of design.

No local route on the course is without it's dangers, and all but the highest level of player will be taking a risk on the local route(s). Ask any of the locals, they will tell you about the time they ended up with a Bogey or Double Bogey instead because they hit a branch and then they were fighting back through to the fairway / basket.

2-4    5/30/2015   5/31/2015
Review By: wolfhaley
Pros: There are two sets of tee pads on each hole except hole 4. These are all level, grippy and nicely sized. There are also two baskets on each hole except hole 4. This is only the second course I've seen with 2 pads and 2 baskets other than Brickyard in Menominee. This really makes a course so much better with the vast amount of options on each hole. The signs here are top notch. There are very large with an awesome detailed map on each short tee pad. It shows the location of each tee and both basket locations as well as distances for all set ups and the par. The course is heavily wooded making for a challenging round. The baskets are yellow and orange and really stick out in the thick woods. The course is free and up year round which both are bonuses. there are also campsites right by the course which would be cool to play some night rounds.
Cons: When we went there were numerous spots with standing water up to 6 inches deep in places. Hole 9 is a ridiculous dogleg left that is basically impossible to par from the long set up. The rough is pretty brutal on most holes so make sure you really watch where your throw went. I also would think the bugs would be bad in the summer months. though theres nothing they can do about this.
Other Thoughts: This is a really nice course that is worth playing if you're anywhere in the area. I really wish more courses had the 2 basket/2 tee set up. This really ups the fun factor. I'd recommend this course over any nearby course.

Date: 6/1/2015 Designer Response by: Awol
Thanks for the review!

Unfortunately the area around 7 & 9 are the lowest points in a pretty large area, so it can collect water after a big rainfall. (3 1/2" of rain in the last week!)

By Sunday's league at noon it was still wet, but playable. I expect by Tuesday it will be damp, but walkable in almost all of the course again.

Quick edit - and in regards to 9, it is a par 4. One to the corner, one out to the open area, one approach, and one putt. It isn't easy, but if all we wanted was easy, we would have left the baskets over in Tanner Park!

Super 9 hole

2-4    10/26/2012   10/26/2012
Review By: Stardoggy
Pros: This is a great 9 hole course, one of the best I've played. I believe they took the 9 baskets from what was loosely called a course in town and applied them here. The layout is great, and I can only imagine it's even better when the leaves are on the trees. The Am tees aren't the toughest, but they are still interesting enough. My favorite holes were 2, 4, and 9. 2 is a 90degree dogleg right and takes a skillful shot to have a chance for birdie, even from the short tee. 4 is a really nice tunnel shot. 9 is a full U-turn that could easily be considered a par 4, even from the shorts. The tee pads are really nice trapezoid concrete, which are nearly identical to Tendik Park in Saukville (which is a good thing).
Cons: Obviously this is a very new course, as walkways aren't clearly defined as of yet. There is also no signage, so navigating your first round is a bit of a challenge. My main complaint, though, is that this is only 9 holes. I know there are space constraints with the nearby campground, but if they'd put in another 9, I'd drive the 45-50 mins quite often. If this were 18 holes of this quality, I'd probably give it a 4.5.
Other Thoughts: This is really a gorgeous spot. We got there, and there was a woodpile about 50ft to our right that had a large hawk sitting there watching us. Hole 4, we were standing on the tee and a deer came wandering out of the woods and right next to the basket. Freakin' awesome. We actually stopped here because Zobel was closed (our fault for not checking the site!!) and we were on our way to Beaver Dam. I will say we found an absolute gem, which will only get better.

Date: 11/6/2012 Designer Response by: Awol
Appreciate the review!

18 would be awesome, but we have some protected wetlands to the North, and the forest to the East is a natural area (See http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/Lands...ex.asp?SNA=51for more info)
We decided that doing 9 awesome holes was the best choice for the land we had to work with.