Bonham, TX
Bonham VA Hospital DGC Share
Uploaded By: giles Hole #2 (Taken 10/2012)
3 / -- Par / Distance:

Better than expected, sort of

1    2/27/2016   2/28/2016
Review By: Pizza God
Pros: There were several good holes.

Course winds around the south side of the VA Hospital.
Cons: I could only find 17 baskets

Starting from hole 8 around to 16, I could not find anything marking tees.

Baskets are Innova practice baskets, some have seen better days.

Other Thoughts: I don't want to trash this course because it has a lot of potential and I did enjoy playing it today. My biggest beef is that there is nothing marking several of the holes, yet some of the holes near the parking area have alts marked with flags.

on the holes with no tee's marked, I just found a spot that made the hole fun to play. However, I could not find a "basket 11" I even drove back around that part of the course and could not find any basket. So this is a 17 hole course.

First few holes are in a grove of trees on the east side of the Hospital. Then it opens up after hole #6.

I played the first tee I found for hole #7, this wound up being about a 800-900 ft hole. My first drive went past the 2nd tee box I found for the hole. And my 2nd drive still was 200 ft out from the basket.

Holes 8 to 14 (minus 11) I had to just throw from where I thought the tee would have been marked. But the last 3 holes are marked. (you can play 1 to 6, then play 15 to 18 for a good 9 hole course.

In my opinion, someone should raise money for tee boxes (or at least tee signs) and real baskets for this course. There were players out there when I was playing.

now 18 holes

1    5/21/2014   5/22/2014
Review By: dreadlock86
Pros: -18 discatcher sport baskets, good condition, bolted down
-original 9 has boxed tee pads and stone signs, new 9 marked with flags
-decent shot variety, mostly wooded original 9 contrasts with the longer, more open new 9
-great elevation changes on some of the new 9 holes
-very nice park, well-maintained
Cons: -baskets not numbered
-navigation is difficult if you've never been
-some of the long open shots are a little repetitive
-lots of pedestrians and other park users, especially on the original 9
Other Thoughts: The new 18 hole layout is pretty well-balanced. The original 9 holes were mostly shorter shots with lots of trees but lots of options for lines. The new 9 holes play around the lawn area west of the original course. They are much longer, mostly open, and a few of them have some cool elevation changes. The new holes start after hole 6. So it is: 1-6 (original), 7-15 (new), 16-18 (originally 7-9). I like that you begin and end in the woods with this layout.

It is great to see a community that has enough trust to use practice baskets on a permanent course. The baskets work perfectly well with single chains and are firmly secured to the ground so they won't fall over.

The area around the original 9 has lots of walking paths and exercise equipment. There were lots of people about on the weekday evening when I played. The new 9 holes are out in the fields where far fewer people, if anyone, are in the way.

This is definitely a solid place to play if you live in the area. It isn't really worth traveling to play here but I fully recommend it if you happen to have an hour or two to kill in Bonham. As Giles mentioned below, the ground is very sandy so it is probably great after a rain.

A note about navigation: if you're driving East down 9th St to the course, take the 2nd left turn into the VA. Keep going straight until you reach the parking lot; this will put you close to the first hole. Look for the large tree log boxes framing the original 9 tees. Cross the entrance road after hole 6 and look for the pink flags marking the box for hole 7. Basket 15 is off to your right when you're standing on tee 6.

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

1    9/2/2013   9/6/2013
Review By: kbeardo
This review was updated on 1/3/2014
Pros: Good use of terrain.
Lots of trees and a open field.
There is now 18 holes!
The boxes are not in yet so you have look for red flags.
Good distance on a few.
Cons: Could have better signs and maybe a map.
The distance markers are off.
Other Thoughts: This set up is pretty good. friendly players and good location.
Holes 5, 9, 11, and 14 are my favorite.

1    10/28/2012   10/29/2012
Review By: giles
Pros: Plays under a canopy of large trees.
Not a bad course and the flow is OK.
Great mix of shots for a 9 hole course.
Sandy ground probably not very muddy after a rain.
Cart friendly. Safe/kid friendly.
Cons: Single chain DiscCatcher Sport baskets don't catch very good.
Other Thoughts: Hole 3 is on the other side of the exercise equipment.
The fairways are good but if the tee boxes and baskets were moved, it could be a much better course.
Worth a play if you are in the area, not worth traveling to.