Whitehall, OH
Community Park Share
Uploaded By: jcf5083 Hole #6 (Taken 9/2012)

Best that could be done with what was there.

2-4    5/21/2013   5/21/2013
Review By: Puckstopper
Pros: Hole 3 is a fun steep downhill shot. I'm coming to recognize this as a Paul Jay signature, as he incorporated a similar, but longer hole on his fantastic Simsbury course.

No one else on the course with me, although I was there a little earlier than I usually play.

Second set of tees provides a little more challenge
Cons: Very limited in terms of land.

No tee signs, so you'd better have a smartphone to long onto this site, or print out a scorecard in advance.

Rubber tees are already getting lumpy.

Navigation was OK, once I found hole 1, but a sign letting me know where the first tees were, and a direction to the first basket would have saved me ten minutes.

Hole 4 plays over a path and beside a baseball diamond. Not crazy about the proximity.

Kind of a tweener course. It's a little to technical on holes 4-6 to be a good place to bring beginners, but it's not likely to interest a better player.

Hole 8 from the long tee is pretty brutal. If you don't have an overhand shot, you're hurting.

Holes 5 and 6 need serious cleanup. There is no great route to take to the pin from the long tees. Some strategic grooming of trees would solve this pretty easily though.

The neighborhood around here is a bit rough. I was a little uncomfortable leaving my car due to a couple of loiterers. No harm was done though.
Other Thoughts: First, there is potential here. Add concrete teepads and some signage and this course would get another half point bump. Move the long tee on 8 back a ways so the hill isn't so gimmicky and it would get another half point from me.

Please don't let my laundry list of Cons scare you off. Many of them are nit-picky and YMMV. Also, don't take those Cons as an indictment of the course designer. He did really well with a small piece of land, and incorporated 3 fairly unique holes (3, 4, and 8 from the long tee). However, having to work around the obstacles I mentioned, and probably on a shoestring budget is inherently limiting. Paul is a very good course designer who put together one of my favorite layouts (Simsbury). He just wasn't provided the tools to create a great course here.

I would play this course again if one of my friends wanted to (and was driving). However, I probably won't be back on my own. More because I've got Blendon in my back yard, and Hoover 10 minutes away, than because of anything inherently wrong with this course. It's just a simple case of their being better courses closer, and my favorite Columbus course just being a few minutes further East for me if I'm going to drive.

Meh...

1    5/16/2013   5/16/2013
Review By: Miamisms
Pros: - holes 1-4 and 7-9 are really well kept with mowed grass.
- great looking and grippy rubber tee pads
- fun shots.
- hole 3: I know is short but here in OH you don't get much elevation change so still fun.
- hole 4: fun, tricky shot into the woods with a smallish opening
- hole 7: long tee is a must play! Haven't seen a shot like that and it was very fun.
- baskets VERY nice and new
- long and short tees
- lots of parking
-practice basket !!! Yes :D
Cons: - no signs :-/ had to do lots of walking around to figure out which basket to shoot at and which tee to start with.
- longish walk from holes 3 to 4 going into the woods and then from 6 to 7. Not super bad and I see why they did it that way but I still think it would have been more interesting and have better flow if they worked that out better
- holes 5 and 6 I didn't care for at all. 1) because they were unkept wooded holes. Basically place basket here and tee here with a fairway FULL of weeds and no paths. 2) because there was absolutely no indication or even pathway that took you from the end of 5 to 6. ( I know I could have simply looked left at the wooded basket of 4 but there was caution tape so I figured that was off limits.)
Other Thoughts: Be careful on the slopes of this course most are muddy and very steep. On hole three there are stairs ( my dumbass didn't see them) but on hole 7 (huge incline) there didn't seem to be any.

Also I must add as a note that I am prone to poison ivy which made my disdain for holes 5 and 6 immense. I'm sure if you aren't prone to getting it then you might not mind.

Would be a fun 18 holer if they worked it out nicely. They still need to do lots of work in the wooded area though IMO

An okay course for your mids and putter practice.

I'd drive the extra miles to go to Blendon anyday ( until maybe this becomes 18 holes lol)

9er

2-4    10/6/2012   10/6/2012
Review By: steven2361
This review was updated on 12/9/2012
Pros: The design is unique in that there are not many RHBH hyzer holes. There are 3 RHBH Hyzers, 4 LHBH Hyzers and 2 straight shots.

There are long and short fly pads on all the holes except 3.

Hole 4 is a cool up and down drive through a gap. Hole 5 is a challenging left turning tight tunnel shot. Hole 6 is a very tough angle to get a birdie on. There is one short par 4 in hole 8 from the long.

There is a practice basket.

There are now 2 pin options on most holes
Cons: Hole 3 is such cool elevation but such a lame hole in the short pin. It is the easiest hole on the course. It plays less than 100 feet and is just a downhill putt approach. Hole 7 is wide open. Hole 9 is a boring flat, hyzer finish.

The course routing is annoying in the long walks between 3 and 4 and also between 6 and 7.

This course is good for beginners.

There are no signs or distances yet.

Expect a lot of spit outs on these Mach IIIs.
Other Thoughts: How is there no downhill bomber hole with the elevation here?

I would not recommend playing here if you can get to a local 18 holer that is better,

Great Design But Still Rough

2-4    9/10/2012   9/10/2012
Review By: jcf5083
This review was updated on 6/24/2013
Pros: -I just want to start by saying I fell in love with the course design. Great change of elevation and I can't think of a better way to use this small piece of land.
-The shiny Mach 3s are sexy and are installed perfectly.
-Fly pads are grippy and surrounded by rocks, so no brown teepads that you see on other rubber tees.
-A few good ace race holes, as well as some longer ones that can challenge you.
-Practice basket, always a nice amenity.
-Multiple teepads for holes, can't comment on the longer tees because I can't throw half as far as you.
-Under the radar right now so there is minimal traffic on the course, but in case there is you have about 250 parking spots.
Cons: -Only nine holes, although another nine *may* be installed in the future.
-Missing tee signs as of now. Like the extra holes, I believe the signs will be coming in as time goes on.
-Missing the nice things that usually +1 your experience: benches, trash cans, restrooms, water.
Other Thoughts: The next time you think about playing Blendon you should save your money and visit Community Park. This is a good course and I think once it is touched up it has the potential to be one of the best short courses in the area.