Whitehall, OH
Community Park Share
Uploaded By: jcf5083 Hole #2 (Taken 9/2012)

Best that could be done with what was there.

2-4    5/21/2013   5/21/2013
Review By: Puckstopper
Pros: Hole 3 is a fun steep downhill shot. I'm coming to recognize this as a Paul Jay signature, as he incorporated a similar, but longer hole on his fantastic Simsbury course.

No one else on the course with me, although I was there a little earlier than I usually play.

Second set of tees provides a little more challenge
Cons: Very limited in terms of land.

No tee signs, so you'd better have a smartphone to long onto this site, or print out a scorecard in advance.

Rubber tees are already getting lumpy.

Navigation was OK, once I found hole 1, but a sign letting me know where the first tees were, and a direction to the first basket would have saved me ten minutes.

Hole 4 plays over a path and beside a baseball diamond. Not crazy about the proximity.

Kind of a tweener course. It's a little to technical on holes 4-6 to be a good place to bring beginners, but it's not likely to interest a better player.

Hole 8 from the long tee is pretty brutal. If you don't have an overhand shot, you're hurting.

Holes 5 and 6 need serious cleanup. There is no great route to take to the pin from the long tees. Some strategic grooming of trees would solve this pretty easily though.

The neighborhood around here is a bit rough. I was a little uncomfortable leaving my car due to a couple of loiterers. No harm was done though.
Other Thoughts: First, there is potential here. Add concrete teepads and some signage and this course would get another half point bump. Move the long tee on 8 back a ways so the hill isn't so gimmicky and it would get another half point from me.

Please don't let my laundry list of Cons scare you off. Many of them are nit-picky and YMMV. Also, don't take those Cons as an indictment of the course designer. He did really well with a small piece of land, and incorporated 3 fairly unique holes (3, 4, and 8 from the long tee). However, having to work around the obstacles I mentioned, and probably on a shoestring budget is inherently limiting. Paul is a very good course designer who put together one of my favorite layouts (Simsbury). He just wasn't provided the tools to create a great course here.

I would play this course again if one of my friends wanted to (and was driving). However, I probably won't be back on my own. More because I've got Blendon in my back yard, and Hoover 10 minutes away, than because of anything inherently wrong with this course. It's just a simple case of their being better courses closer, and my favorite Columbus course just being a few minutes further East for me if I'm going to drive.

9er

2-4    10/6/2012   10/6/2012
Review By: steven2361
This review was updated on 12/9/2012
Pros: The design is unique in that there are not many RHBH hyzer holes. There are 3 RHBH Hyzers, 4 LHBH Hyzers and 2 straight shots.

There are long and short fly pads on all the holes except 3.

Hole 4 is a cool up and down drive through a gap. Hole 5 is a challenging left turning tight tunnel shot. Hole 6 is a very tough angle to get a birdie on. There is one short par 4 in hole 8 from the long.

There is a practice basket.

There are now 2 pin options on most holes
Cons: Hole 3 is such cool elevation but such a lame hole in the short pin. It is the easiest hole on the course. It plays less than 100 feet and is just a downhill putt approach. Hole 7 is wide open. Hole 9 is a boring flat, hyzer finish.

The course routing is annoying in the long walks between 3 and 4 and also between 6 and 7.

This course is good for beginners.

There are no signs or distances yet.

Expect a lot of spit outs on these Mach IIIs.
Other Thoughts: How is there no downhill bomber hole with the elevation here?

I would not recommend playing here if you can get to a local 18 holer that is better,