Whitehall, OH
Community Park Share
Uploaded By: jcf5083 Hole #4 (Taken 9/2012)

Great little 9 holer

5+    5/5/2015   4/26/2015
Review By: Mulligan
This review was updated on 5/6/2015
Pros: I think this course is pretty much an ideal 9 hole layout, which is why I'm giving it a higher rating than others. Its probably unusual to give a 9er a score above 3, but I think this course earns it. Its technical, fun, and a creative layout. Not overly discouraging for beginners, but also not just a series of gimmes for an advanced player. My wife loves to play this course with me, and I never feel like either of us are at an advantage on the other. The fly pads (short and longs) were very comfortable to launch from and the pins were placed in really interesting locations. It has a nice mix of tree lined semi open shots, an awesomely fun downhill putter pitch, a couple tough upshots, nice dogleg wooded hike, and is just well thought out overall in its design. #5 was surrounded in the middle of a bed of bluebell flowers in the woods today, was super pretty. Turning around after 9 and played another and I wasn't bored at all, cause the mix of shots is a lot of fun and challenging enough to want to play each hole again. This is the kind of course I wish was in my backyard.
Did I mention its often deserted, too!?
best place to catch a quick round without a clusterf@$& in Cbus.
Cons: There is the tricky walk over 4's fairway from 6s pin, a better path out of the woods would be a good safety improvement.
I can see how it might get pretty swampy in the valley or in the wooded section, and have dealt with some mud back there on 5/6.
As weeds and flowers are growing in the spring, finding your disc on 5 especially can be a total pain.
Other Thoughts: I'd change the layout of 8 and 9 if I could. 8 has a crazy shot up a very tall steep hill through a narrow gap to a plateau fairway that seems unnecessary for anyone without a killer tomahawk. The short tee is way up there at this gap, requires following a trail to the left of the lower tee to get up there, and from what I've seen, most people just hike up and shoot from the short. I think moving tee pads back towards the ball field and having the pin right at the top of this hill in that gap would be much more exciting and risky. Go for the pin then, and if you hit wood you are stuck with a 45 degree up putt with the worry of a LONG roll back down. Then 9 can tee off back in the corner towards the parking lot and be a longer final hole. Realistically, this is just nitpicking though, and I commend the design of this park. Totally disagree with other reviewers that this course needs to be 18 to earn a higher rating, they did a great job with what they had to work with... also think the flypads are nicely done, and don't see a need for concrete.

This 9er is a diamond in the rough!

Great Design But Still Rough

2-4    9/10/2012   9/10/2012
Review By: jcf5083
This review was updated on 6/24/2013
Pros: -I just want to start by saying I fell in love with the course design. Great change of elevation and I can't think of a better way to use this small piece of land.
-The shiny Mach 3s are sexy and are installed perfectly.
-Fly pads are grippy and surrounded by rocks, so no brown teepads that you see on other rubber tees.
-A few good ace race holes, as well as some longer ones that can challenge you.
-Practice basket, always a nice amenity.
-Multiple teepads for holes, can't comment on the longer tees because I can't throw half as far as you.
-Under the radar right now so there is minimal traffic on the course, but in case there is you have about 250 parking spots.
Cons: -Only nine holes, although another nine *may* be installed in the future.
-Missing tee signs as of now. Like the extra holes, I believe the signs will be coming in as time goes on.
-Missing the nice things that usually +1 your experience: benches, trash cans, restrooms, water.
Other Thoughts: The next time you think about playing Blendon you should save your money and visit Community Park. This is a good course and I think once it is touched up it has the potential to be one of the best short courses in the area.