Clarksville, OH
Gulley Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #10 (Taken 5/2009)

Country drive tight and open play

1    10/11/2011   10/11/2011
Review By: LightsOut
Pros: Today was my first time to play this course and I'll add it to my rotation of playable area courses! The fall day was sunny, dry and had winds gusting to 15 MPH at least when I started. Holes 2, 3, & 4 go west and they open into the prevailing WSW wind for this part of the country. It didn't look good for me today (starting bogey, bogey, bogey). Once I got over it and into the woods on the front nine things improved once I was protected from too much breeze.
More than half of the tee drives on the course require going through either tree line openings or through tunnels. A couple you can go over and a few suggested to me that I should be using controlled approach disc play off the tee. The effect of which is elation once you get a chance to let a couple discs fly when the opportunity for open play arrives.
The elevation changes are effective through the woods and out in the open. I liked open #12, as you check it out as you play up to it. There is a blind tee uphill drive 220 ft to an elevated basket (check out the photo). Hole 13 is a controlled window shot par 5 challenge over a ravine. The last 5 holes give you a chance to rip both drivers in the open, over, and around trees and controlled approach discs in the woods.
The wind was still gusting but after #4 the rest of the course was fairly well protected from the WSW winds on this day.
Course navigation was fairly straightforward. There is a course layout sign and an instructional sign off the lot on the way to the first tee. There are nice tee area signs for each hole with par and distance listed. The front begins and ends at the parking area and #10 begins there also. Basket #18 is a short distance from the lot. The park is in good shape and maintained well from what I can see from this visit. The tight front nine helps makes this a quick play course.
Cons: Other reviews have mentioned that the tees are either dirt or carpeted which could be problematic in wet weather. Other than the one disc course sign there isn't an office or general store at this Warren County Park that I noticed for scorecards, discs, or munchies. There is a Port-o-let onsite, but no running water that I saw.
Other Thoughts: Overall I had a great time playing Gulley Park as I finished strong today. The parking was ample and neat as was the picnic awning with tables and grills. There are soccer fields to the east of the course/picnic awning and I didn't go any further into the park to check out what else might be available.

I found and drove to Gulley Park using the DGCR website no problem. It's about a winding mile south, off of OH 350 between Ft Ancient and Clarksville. The next closest courses would be in Lebanon, Mason, Springboro, and Monroe. Not a spectacular course but offers play worth looking into if you want a light traffic course and a nice out of the way country drive.

5+    10/17/2010   3/14/2011
Review By: DrewMillerRH
Pros: Great mix of holes, good mix on distance, excellent flow, good use of what little elevation is available, well designed course.
Cons: Natural Tee Pads, that's the only thing I can say negative about the course.
Other Thoughts: Worth stoping and playing if you're out that way

Multiround Goodness

5+    8/9/2010   8/12/2010
Review By: LStephens
Pros: One of the best designed courses given the land available that I've seen. Some may say the tunnel shots are repetitive but I disagree. I find the course refreshing in the sense that it is different from the other courses I play and it forces me to slow down, hit my lines and not try to force shots. I think Hole #1 is a great starting hole that is tight and a great Ace opportunity straight from the car...while #2 is a tough follow up hole. Then the dance starts of deuce or die holes with #5 thrown in just to humble you. I feel the over the top shots of #13 and #15 force me to throw shots that I rarely throw anywhere else and can only elevate my game as a traveling tournament player.

The course plays extremely fast eventhough there is some distance here. The safety factor of next tee from basket is great. The elevation changes play nicely on the holes but your legs never feel it. You can play multiple rounds here without getting beat down. The course is always clean and rarely is it ever crowded. The baskets are in great shape and will hold an Ace.
Cons: I really wish this course would install some concrete tee pads. I'm just not a fan of dirt tees. If it has been raining all week this course will be very wet. Hole #1 will have a nice mini-pond before the basket. #16 and #17 can flood as well. The wooded holes have a lot of poison ivy as well...but that is being taken care of little by little and is no where near as bad as it was a few years ago.

From time to time #2 thru #5 can have super high weeds. Sometimes the parks will cut out 30' wide fairways and sometimes they will cut the entire field...you never know until you play. #7 & #8 can have high weeds and briars as well. When #15 isn't cut very well the up and over shot can have you looking for a while for your disc since you are throwing blind over the top right.
Other Thoughts: Gulley Park is an hour from my house. I rarely get to drive up and play but when I do I really enjoy myself. I always play atleast 5 rounds when I go. The rounds go quickly and I rarely feel tired afterwards and I'm 41 years old. If this park was close to my house I would most likely choose it to be my daily park before work. Three years ago this was my first exposure to elevated baskets(#12).

Suprised by how good it was

1    7/31/2010   8/1/2010
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: Great use of the Land they had available to them
Very High Fun Factor
Visually great course
Clean, Maintained, Mowed
Nice flow not to hard to Navigate
It's beaten in pretty well, even if you throw you disk into the brush it's not hard to find.
Some great tunnel shots
Great for beginners and advanced players
Cons: Can be repetitious
There are some big holes here but for reasons I can't explain it just felt small

Other Thoughts: This course didn't look too exciting when I first pulled up, but I turned out to be very pleasantly surprised. The main thing that kept popping into my head as I was playing was how great of a design job this course has. The fun factor is Huge! A quick look around and you could see that the land they had to work with was not that good but they really made the best possible use of what they had. I think this is the best course I've ever seen in terms of squeezing all that you can out what you have to work with. Props to whoever designed this course. I loved the tunnel shots.

There is a good mix of shots here but there are also a lot of similar holes. It feels like you play the same hole several times.at one point you zig zag across a field and there are 2 or 3 identical holes. Also the tunnel shots are the bread and butter of this course but they may have gone to the well a few too many times

It seems hidden and out of the way but it's right off the highway. I would recommend it for both newbys and longtimeers and for locals and road trippers

Warren County's Best Course

5+    12/25/2009   12/27/2009
Review By: RogueArtist
Pros:

Variety in Hole Design
Never Crowded
Clear Signage
Good for Beginner to Advanced Players
Thoughful Course Layout
Cons: Muddy Tees
No Restroom Facilities
Other Thoughts: Gulley is a quality course hidden in the countryside of Warren county. I've taken both experienced and new players here and everyone has enjoyed it. The designers really did a good job of using the land they had to thoughtfully construct the course. Hole #1 is deceptively difficult especially in summer when foliage creeps in. #2-4 are open holes with a tree line close to the pins again requiring some control with approach shots #5 is unique and challenging with its risk/reward opportunities. #6 is a forehand Ace opportunity
7 and 8 are good risk reward and 9 requires a straight initial throw to get you out of the woods into the open field.

The back 9 are longer more open holes which is a nice change of pace from the tight 5-9 on the front 9.

10 is a reasonable par 3 with a deep bunker cut out just past the pin on the leftside. #11 is an open downhill hole good for practicing drives. #12 is uphill with an elevated basket that can cost you a stroke if you arent careful. #13 is probably the best hole on the course, it has an elevated tee through a narrow corridor of forest that opens up into a slow open uphill area with a few large trees. A well placed drive and/or approach shot gives you a chance for eagle. #14 is open with a very large tree that seems to grab your disc more than it should. #15 is the courses longest hole. It requires shot through a very narrow gap in the trees, then a wrap around an extraordinarily thick stand of trees that protects the basket. A good drive usually gets you a birdie. 16 and 17 are both through narrow corridors of woods. Both seem to have overgrown a bit from when the course was originally installed. 18 is open and somewhat long.

This course is a great course for people looking to get into disc golf and get some experience under their belt playing the game. Its a little easier than some of the other courses I have been to, but a lot less frustrating.

Great Hidden Suprise

2-4    8/23/2009   9/5/2009
Review By: Innovastar
Pros: This has a good mix of wooded and open holes. Small corridors off tee pads and in the fairways make what could be easy holes very challenging. It has a good mix of short ace-able holes and holes where you have a good sized approach shot or even another drive. The signage is great, only confusing spot was between hole 8 and 9.
Cons: This course doesn't not have concrete tee pads, not a big deal for me but would like to see more defined tee pads. Maybe add a board at the front of the tee or something. Some locals seem to use #9 basket as a practice basket so it got confusing when you come out of the woods and are trying to figure out where to go next.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course for all levels. I took guys out with me that is was their first time and they had a great time. The course can play tough but still be fun. There are some areas of rough that are just mean and thick with tall grass and briers. I would definitely recommend playing this course if you happen to be in the area.

1    6/24/2008   6/24/2008
Review By: agentdozzer
This review was updated on 8/5/2010
Pros: Good wooded course not to thick but some gap shots call for hard turns. Good mix with some open holes. Seemed to be well taken care of mowed fairways not alot of trash.
Cons: No teepads, bathrooms, or trash cans. Could use some more d, and elevation. With that you cant build elevation and they did good with what they had.
Other Thoughts: a new course with alot of upside park has room to add a few 500+ holes. The design keeps you in and out of open, light wood and two heavily wooded holes.

Good Course

6/7/2008   6/16/2008
Review By: slacker7875
Pros: Lots of variation in the course. Tight areas in the woods and narrow throws between wooded areas.
Cons: Muddys tees and way too much underbrush in the woods if you have a bad throw.
Other Thoughts: Fun course, this was my first time playing and it got me hooked.

gulley

6/11/2008   6/11/2008
Review By: chuckynobbs
Pros: lots of holes that will help improve your game
Cons: woods are thick, i had two ticks crawl on my legs...most holes are for righties...